Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Pyramids under Ascore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4818 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2015 :  12:51:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No can do just yet. It's not been ruled out of the mix. Yet.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Seeker

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2017 :  18:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

*put my mathematics degree to use*

The difficulty in a five-sided polygon is in figuring out how to create it with a compass (the one that draws circles, not the one that points north). It's one of those mathematical conundrums that, although you can create almost any of the basic degrees using a compass, the 72 degree needed to create a five-sided polygon is impossible* to do with a compass.

So, the question then becomes how difficult is it to express architecturally in the plans to build one? A four-sided pyramid, therefore, becomes MUCH more easier to design and build since 90 degrees is easy to create.

Of course, all this gets tossed out the window once you start using magic and it's "reality-is-just-a-guidline" rules-breaking.

*impossible, of course is defined as 'hasn't been done yet', of course.

Actually, the ancients solved how to draw a perfect pentagon with a compass and straightedge way back when; it is by no means impossible to do! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagon#Construction_of_a_regular_pentagon)

I know that it has been years since this post; my main reason was to bump this thread, not to nitpick you. No offense intended!
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2017 :  15:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LhynardI know that it has been years since this post; my main reason was to bump this thread, not to nitpick you. No offense intended!

I'm glad you bumped it. I was thinking about this post the other day when I discovered that I had fortunately saved George Krashos's explanation for the site which he posted at Ed's new site at some point and then it was erased.

For me, that's a canon answer to something I posted quite a while ago!

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4818 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  01:49:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's not really canon and much of the credit for the explanation goes to Eric Boyd also, whose own version of the tale of Jergal for another project spawned mine. I don't usually like dabbling in matters "godly" as they usualy funnel out into a vast expanse of supposition and conjecture, but this one seemed "neat" in relative terms.

Back to work on something a little more mundane for the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3336 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  07:10:53  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well its the most ungodly godly event ive read so far. Thats why i like it. Plus there is little conjecture and lots of room for expansion (like what happened to the survivors of ascore).

Still my all time favourite of your articles.

Do whats the mundane piece about, swords of impiltur are never mundane.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4818 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  11:22:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on something for the Candlekeep seminar. It's traditional that I come up with something for the attendees. Nowhere near Impiltur, but dealing with something iconic as befits the 30th anniversary of the published Realms. Hopefully the "Hand of Doom" will make it all the way to Indianapolis by August.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3336 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  12:02:20  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well im dribbling with anticipation at the thought of what it might be. Your last works have been lore diamonds.

Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Seeker

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  12:48:49  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Still my all time favourite of your articles.

Which article is this? I am confused.
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3336 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  13:14:39  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its called Jergal: Lord of the End of Everything

It was originally on Ed Greenwoods site before it morphed into the TEGG.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic