Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2018-20??)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2017 :  17:20:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After On has finally picked up; I'm right at the end of the book and was just debating whether I should cut my lunch short to take care of things at work or just finish it... I really wanted to do the latter, but that would have meant getting home later from work...

The book now reminds me of a 2 hour movie with pacing issues... The first hour wanders about, with no discernible plot or direction. As the second hour starts, you realize the first hour was just laying a lot of groundwork and setting up everything. From minute 61 to minute 90, it is definitely building up to something, and you're seeing the shape of it.

And then from minute 90 on, it's constant, continuous action.

It takes some doing to make that work in a movie, and one hell of a payoff. I'm not sure this book manages either.

I do like the premise of the book, though: a social network that becomes an AI. And it does avoid a lot of the AI fiction tropes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2017 :  18:55:27  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RDS

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I'm re-starting the Wheel of Time series (I took a "holiday" as I reading in english sometimes is too dense for me—I have to mentally translate everything I read...). I'm beginning Shadow Rising. Yeah, I'm still a long way from the finale.

I've been reading the series for over the past 15 months during my work breaks. I just started the Gathering Storm (book 11). I got a third of the way through the books before Mr. Jordan took 2 years off to work on other projects and never went back till I got all 14.

I started reading this series when I was 12 LOL. Book 9 had just been released in paperback, and I decided to buy the series. It's a great read, if a bit slow at times.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2017 :  12:29:08  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

Finally finished the Sellswords series. Ran into some stretches of little to no reading lately, but I am now started on The Thousand Orcs. Can't believe I'm on book #17 of the Drizzt series...

Still enjoying them?

Yes! I enjoyed Entreri becoming more of a human instead of a soulless assassin with not a care for anything in the world. I finished them up and am now on The Lone Drow and am interested to see how this goes. Been waiting for the King Obould series for awhile. Every since the short stories alluding to him and the reference/meet in NWN I have wanted to know more about him!

I'd love to see Entreri get his own series apart from the whole Drizzt storyline.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2017 :  15:15:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided to read that ARC of The Midnight Front that I picked up at GenCon, because the thought of a magical side of WWII is just too appealing too me.

I do think it's a bit ironic that the book doesn't go on sale for a few months, but the author could freely hand out advance reader copies.

Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2017 :  00:31:26  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd love to see Entreri get his own series apart from the whole Drizzt storyline.

Same, I love his "origin" short story. It was interesting seeing part of what made him who he is today.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2017 :  17:58:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Same, I love his "origin" short story. It was interesting seeing part of what made him who he is today.

The Third Level from Realms of Infamy?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

75 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2017 :  04:33:39  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yesss, I actually listened to it first in the Legends of Drizzt collection. It was a free download on Audible so I figured what's the harm. Hadn't read any Realms stuff prior to that and only had a minor introduction to D&D in middle school playing a game with my cousin and his friends. That collection of stories got me interested in FR and it all kind of grew from there! It was interesting reading part of his childhood before learning of him as an adult and what he became.

Edited by - Taleras on 02 Sep 2017 04:42:46
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2017 :  23:17:04  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally back on the forum, after, roughly, a 1-year hiatus from reading. I've always been the type of person to go in-and-out of reading, but this year-long break has been the lengthiest one yet, and I hope it stays that way.

Anyways, as I strictly only read novels in the Realms, I've decided to return where I've left off in the Legend of Drizzt series.

I'm currently over 100 pages deep into Neverwinter. It's been alright so far, but I want to get into some new series' that isn't Salvatore or Drizzt.

Anyways, Neverwinter is intriguing but I don't know if I'll ever enjoy a Drizzt book as much as I enjoyed the early, early additions.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 10 Sep 2017 23:19:20
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2017 :  18:36:49  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scimitars of Drizzt

Finally back on the forum, after, roughly, a 1-year hiatus from reading. I've always been the type of person to go in-and-out of reading, but this year-long break has been the lengthiest one yet, and I hope it stays that way.

Anyways, as I strictly only read novels in the Realms, I've decided to return where I've left off in the Legend of Drizzt series.

I'm currently over 100 pages deep into Neverwinter. It's been alright so far, but I want to get into some new series' that isn't Salvatore or Drizzt.

Anyways, Neverwinter is intriguing but I don't know if I'll ever enjoy a Drizzt book as much as I enjoyed the early, early additions.

There are many awesome Realms books outside of Drizzt (though Drizzt is great). The Neverwinter quartet was my least favorite in the Drizzt saga, but it gets better after The Companions, imo.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2017 :  22:11:55  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished 3 minutes ago Ready PLayer One an interesting and good book but not the killing bomb they told me it was. interested in how they are gonna break those copyrights for the movie though. Starting right away Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  03:40:55  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

quote:

There are many awesome Realms books outside of Drizzt (though Drizzt is great). The Neverwinter quartet was my least favorite in the Drizzt saga, but it gets better after The Companions, imo.

I agree; personally, I very much enjoyed the WOTSQ series. I've also read Forsaken House, and The Gossamer Plain, and I plan on finishing each respected series. I'm also very much looking forward to delving into other novels of the Realms, such as the works of Cunningham, Greenwood, and others who are well-known in the Realms community. I was surprised to see that there's still another 8 books to go until I reach the most recent installment of the Drizzt saga, Hero. Regardless, I'm eager to catch up to the final book, even if it takes me awhile to get there.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 14 Sep 2017 03:43:42
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  04:46:46  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
100 pages or so into Neverwinter, and I wasn't very impressed, but I must say, in my opinion, the novel has gotten considerably better.

Warning, as I will be including spoilers in my analysis.

The power struggle between the Netherese and Ashmadai, which started off as nothing special to me, has increased to a pretty darn interesting conflict in my mind.

I enjoy the back-and-forth; in-between believing the Ashmadai have the upper hand, to believing the Netherese have the upper-hand (nearing the end of the book, Valindra's side still seems superior) - while at the same time having third parties such as Drizzt and Dahlia, and arguably the Neverwinter folk, having their own designs. It's a refreshing change from the usual Drizzt adventures - the only Drizzt novel I can think of, of the top of my head that is similar, is The Pirate King, where there's a similar power struggle, but it's just not the same within the confines of a city.

As I'm increasingly enjoying this novel though, I'm hit with something that vexes me greatly... Entreri's return?

I can understand how a lot of readers may be excited, perhaps happy, that Entreri has returned, but when I first read that line where Drizzt acknowledges Barrabus's true identity, I could not help but elicit the most heavy and exaggerated eye roll. Of course, Salvatore...

I don't want to sit here and complain - heck, I literally stopped at the part where Drizzt acknowledges his identity, so far all that I know it isn't entirely true, and maybe there's a catch. I completely doubt that though, this must be Entreri, obviously magically enhanced throughout the years - so it's still him.

I guess all I'm getting at is that this turn of events, Barrabus not even being real - being Entreri the entire time - just annoyed me greatly. I don't even dislike Entreri as a character, it just has to do with the likeliness of it all.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. For those who may have been cheering when Entreri was introduced, honestly that's great, I'm glad you enjoyed the turn of events (maybe you even predicted it... this being the first Drizzt novel I've read in years, I had no clue what Barrabus was referring to when he mentioned previously battling Drizzt; I had maybe thought it a scene in Gauntlgrym that I had forgot). Personally, it just bothers me greatly - it mainly has to do with the realism of the scenario, and how typical I thought it to be that Salvatore maintained a popular character throughout unlikely circumstances. Still, it's definitely not impossible in the world of the Realms, and I'm of course still going to finish the Drizzt saga. To be honest, this isn't the biggest issue I've had with The Legend of Drizzt - in other words, I don't want to rattle anybody the wrong way with my potentially irritating opinion.

Obviously, I can live with this change of events, and I'm still looking forward to the rest of the novel and series. I hate to rant like this, to knock somebody the wrong way who maybe revels the return of Entreri, but it's just my opinion. Heck, Entreri was a good character, it's not to do with that, it's just the unlikeliness of his return following the Spellplague. And I'm sure the story of his prolonged survival is explained in detail.

To conclude, I'm not bashing Salvatore's writing at all, I'm just expressing my opinion on Barrabus/Entreri.

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 14 Sep 2017 05:00:40
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  14:35:40  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

100 pages or so into Neverwinter, and I wasn't very impressed, but I must say, in my opinion, the novel has gotten considerably better.

The power struggle between the Netherese and Ashmadai, which started off as nothing special to me, has increased to a pretty darn interesting conflict in my mind.

I enjoy the back-and-forth; in-between believing the Ashmadai have the upper hand, to believing the Netherese have the upper-hand (nearing the end of the book, Valindra's side still seems superior) - while at the same time having third parties such as Drizzt and Dahlia, and arguably the Neverwinter folk, having their own designs. It's a refreshing change from the usual Drizzt adventures - the only Drizzt novel I can think of, of the top of my head that is similar, is The Pirate King, where there's a similar power struggle, but it's just not the same within the confines of a city.

As I'm increasingly enjoying this novel though, I'm hit with something that vexes me greatly... Entreri's return?

I can understand how a lot of readers may be excited, perhaps happy, that Entreri has returned, but when I first read that line where Drizzt acknowledges Barrabus's true identity, I could not help but elicit the most heavy and exaggerated eye roll. Of course, Salvatore...

I don't want to sit here and complain - heck, I literally stopped at the part where Drizzt acknowledges his identity, so far all that I know it isn't entirely true, and maybe there's a catch. I completely doubt that though, this must be Entreri, obviously magically enhanced throughout the years - so it's still him.

I guess all I'm getting at is that this turn of events, Barrabus not even being real - being Entreri the entire time - just annoyed me greatly. I don't even dislike Entreri as a character, it just has to do with the likeliness of it all.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. For those who may have been cheering when Entreri was introduced, honestly that's great, I'm glad you enjoyed the turn of events (maybe you even predicted it... this being the first Drizzt novel I've read in years, I had no clue what Barrabus was referring to when he mentioned previously battling Drizzt; I had maybe thought it a scene in Gauntlgrym that I had forgot). Personally, it just bothers me greatly - it mainly has to do with the realism of the scenario, and how typical I thought it to be that Salvatore maintained a popular character throughout unlikely circumstances. Still, it's definitely not impossible in the world of the Realms, and I'm of course still going to finish the Drizzt saga. To be honest, this isn't the biggest issue I've had with The Legend of Drizzt - in other words, I don't want to rattle anybody the wrong way with my potentially irritating opinion.

Obviously, I can live with this change of events, and I'm still looking forward to the rest of the novel and series. I hate to rant like this, to knock somebody the wrong way who maybe revels the return of Entreri, but it's just my opinion. Heck, Entreri was a good character, it's not to do with that, it's just the unlikeliness of his return following the Spellplague. And I'm sure the story of his prolonged survival is explained in detail.

To conclude, I'm not bashing Salvatore's writing at all, I'm just expressing my opinion on Barrabus/Entreri.

Just wanted to throw this out there real quick. I think Entreri's prolonged life is explained by his vampiric dagger transferring the essence of a shade to him, hence extending his time on Toril. Convenient for Salvatore to be sure.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  18:14:07  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree; personally, I very much enjoyed the WOTSQ series. I've also read Forsaken House, and The Gossamer Plain, and I plan on finishing each respected series. I'm also very much looking forward to delving into other novels of the Realms, such as the works of Cunningham, Greenwood, and others who are well-known in the Realms community. I was surprised to see that there's still another 8 books to go until I reach the most recent installment of the Drizzt saga, Hero. Regardless, I'm eager to catch up to the final book, even if it takes me awhile to get there.

The Last Mythal trilogy was awesome, and anything by Cunningham is great. Neverwinter was not my favorite series within the Drizzt saga, but the last books were pretty good (though I had issues with Maestro. Hero made it all worth it for me LOL.

Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  19:50:54  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just wanted to throw this out there real quick. I think Entreri's prolonged life is explained by his vampiric dagger transferring the essence of a shade to him, hence extending his time on Toril. Convenient for Salvatore to be sure.

Which is fine, I still haven't read on yet, so I'm at the scene where his identity has just been revealed.
Now that I've had time to let it settle, I'm not as annoyed with the whole situation as I was last night. Barrabus's character was growing on me, and I was just disappointed to find out that he's really Artemis. I can't lie that it is an interesting turn of events. Hoping to finish Neverwinter today.

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 14 Sep 2017 19:57:51
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  19:55:04  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Last Mythal trilogy was awesome, and anything by Cunningham is great. Neverwinter was not my favorite series within the Drizzt saga, but the last books were pretty good (though I had issues with Maestro. Hero made it all worth it for me LOL.

Good to hear - I did in fact enjoy Forsaken House more than The Gossamer Plain, so I'm not surprised to hear good things regarding The Last Mythal trilogy. Thanks for the input, I will definitely check out Cunningham in due time, as well as eventually make my way to the end of the Drizzt saga. By the way, I have my font size and colour set at normal, so I have no clue why this is large and yellow, lol.

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 14 Sep 2017 20:01:02
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  21:59:59  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The font will randomly change after a certain amount of quotations lol.

The rest of the Empyrean Odyssey was good, imo. Gossamer Plain was a bit slow, but the other two are good reads.

Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2017 :  07:48:07  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I see what you mean now; while we knew him as Barrabus, Salvatore does explain how the sword has kept him alive. Which I was aware of, I guess I was seeking more, on to how he became known as Barrabus the Gray. But I'm sure it will be explained.

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 15 Sep 2017 07:50:24
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2017 :  07:57:05  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The font will randomly change after a certain amount of quotations lol.

The rest of the Empyrean Odyssey was good, imo. Gossamer Plain was a bit slow, but the other two are good reads.

Haha, thanks.

Nice, I am looking forward to finishing the series. The Gossamer Plain was a bit weird for me, parts of the book I enjoyed greatly, and other parts were simply sub-par. All-in-all it was very different from most of the books I've read in the Realms - almost an experimental type of work - but I found that ultimately it was a solid book. Good to hear the other two pick up the pace.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2017 :  17:25:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am once more in that annoying place where I am close to finishing a book, and I really, really want to finish it right now, but other commitments are preventing it...

I'm a hair over 30 pages from finishing Call of Fire, but my lunch break is over, so I'll not be able to get back to it until tonight. And that draws major vacuum!

I think World's End is going to be my next read.

Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  00:12:43  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just completed Neverwinter this afternoon, and although awhile back I had stocked up on Drizzt novels knowing I'd eventually read them, I'm taking a break from Salvatore, and reading Darkwalker on Moonshae. I have a bunch of Realms novels on my list, but the only one's I own that I've yet to read are works of Salvatore: Charon's Claw, The Companions, and then the last 2 novels of the Cleric Quintet series.

That is, other than Darkwalker on Moonshae. Funny story behind obtaining that book - I didn't even know I owned the novel until re-evaluating the few books my aunt had given to me about half a year ago; novels she picked up at a yard sale with myself in mind. They were mostly DragonLance books, but I only recently noticed this old Realms book, which had escaped my original acknowledgment of it being a Realms book because of how old it looked. Upon investigation, I was shocked to find that it's actually the first ever published Realms book. I think the copy is an original from 1987.

The book is off to a fair start just 12 pages or so in. Always very interested to start a new adventure in the Realms. I still can't believe this book just happened to be the first published book in the Realms.

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 18 Sep 2017 00:18:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  02:55:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think World's End is going to be my next read.

I changed my mind at the last minute, and now I'm reading The Magicians. It's good enough that I'm going to at least finish this book, but I'm a significant chunk of the way in, and I still don't see where it's going -- so I'm not sure if I'll be going for books 2 and 3 or not.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  15:17:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm finally reading the Haunted Lands trilogy, as I promised Richard Bryers I would at Gencon 2012. I got a kindle Paperwhite for my birthday, so I am finally getting back to my reading, which fell way-off when they closed all the bookstores.

So far, so good. I find a couple of things a bit weird (things changed over the course of 4e, which invalidated some of what goes on), but story-wise, its solid.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Sep 2017 15:17:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  15:40:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm finally reading the Haunted Lands trilogy, as I promised Richard Bryers I would at Gencon 2012. I got a kindle Paperwhite for my birthday, so I am finally getting back to my reading, which fell way-off when they closed all the bookstores.

So far, so good. I find a couple of things a bit weird (things changed over the course of 4e, which invalidated some of what goes on), but story-wise, its solid.

I need to read those books, myself. I got the Brotherhood of the Griffon books just last year, and less than a month ago finally laid hands on the third book of the Haunted Lands -- I got the first two when they came out, and then somehow never got the third.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  20:06:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I read all the 4e era books lol. I didn't like what had happened, but I wanted to stay on top of things, and there were some good novels in the 4th edition, even if 4e itself wasn't that great.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  20:17:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think I read all the 4e era books lol. I didn't like what had happened, but I wanted to stay on top of things, and there were some good novels in the 4th edition, even if 4e itself wasn't that great.

I initially read just 2 of the 4E novels, and found they did not work for me. These tales, though, I have heard only good things about, and I've liked other stuff by Richard Lee Byers, so I decided to try them out.

I just hope they don't turn out to be like other popular series that I wound up disliking... The War of the Spider Queen, for example, has a great many fans -- but I quite thoroughly dislike the series.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  23:50:02  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It took me awhile to get in to Haunted Lands. The characters didn't really resonate with me (other than Mirror), but I got through them, and the follow-up series, Brotherhood of the Griffin, was good.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2017 :  23:21:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to agree with CorellonsDevout on that one. It wasn't a seamless, "can't put it down" kind of thing. Its slow going, but it's starting to pick up momentum.

Probably in both our cases, its more of a "how can I enjoy myself when I don't like where (when) I am?" In the case of the Blades of the Moonsea - which I enjoyed - you can pretty-much ignore the Spellplague and just pretend you are in an earlier era. It feels like the Realms we know. But in this series - despite Richard's excellent writing - you have your face constantly rubbed in Spellplague... you just can't get away from it. It happens DURING a very crucial scene (pivotal battle), and everyone was like, "Mystra's dead... well that sucks". I'm simplifying it, obviously, and he does portray the sweeping changes rather well (going so far as to even mention things happening well outside Thay). So, if you can take a deep breath, you might get past 'the smell'. LOL

I'm hoping books 2 & 3 are less spellplague-focused. Its only the quality of his writing that is keeping me hanging in there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Sep 2017 23:22:37
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2017 :  23:38:49  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also really enjoyed Blades of the Moonsea. There were a few Spellplague references, but I agree, Markustay, it felt very "Realmsian". For Haunted Lands, I just had trouble getting into it, even without the Spellplague. It just took awhile for me to really care about what was going on. Mirror was probably the only character I really liked. Aoth grew on me later, but it took time. However, the follow-up series (BotG) was quite good, imo.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  03:17:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it IS Thay, and 'good guys' in Thay would be slimey bastiches anywhere else. LOL

So, yeah - hard to identify with "the best of a VERY bad lot". None of them are particularly likable (except Mirror, as you've pointed out, and it starts off with HIM already dead). That wasn't a spoiler, BTW - I think you find that out on like pg. 1.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Sep 2017 03:18:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000