Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

TBeholder
Great Reader

2155 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  17:31:13  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Forced Reverie � Drow
[...] Due to the elves widely known resistance to sleep, the drow developed this spell specifically for their surface elven cousins.

It makes much sense, elves not sleeping the same way should lead to another move in the usual "magic arms race", rather than stop at "gosh golly what do".
Though IMHO it would be more likely to appear back before the drow, when elf-on-elf fighting was more widespread. Small raids like the drow do are not serious enough to develop specific adaptations (beyond what's necessary to offset disadvantages of a "foreign" environment, those are also useful for merchants and wizards sneaking around for fancy spell components).

I thought about another twist:
Elemental Reverie
Range: as Sleep; Save: Negates.
(or Range: Touch; Save: Negates, with penalty).
The target elf's next reverie is filled with visions of a given elemental plane. Mostly a recreational spell. Usually only minor mechanical effects (in the same cases as elementalist's adjustments): bonuses for elemental magic of the same type and maluses for the opposite. If the target has ingrained fears related to the element, the reverie is restless (like Nightmare, but without damage and backlash effect). No effect if elemental planes are inaccessible.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 08 Oct 2021 17:41:23
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  17:51:09  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point about when the spell came about. My thought about that is that it could be true but current elves would disavow the spell in an attempt to "whitewash" their history since all surface elves are buddies and only the evil, nasty drow would have a spell that specifically targets other elves.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2021 :  18:22:39  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple mid-level spells (2e):

Set Teleport Locus
(Alteration/Enchantment)
Level: 5
Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Permanent
Casting Time: 1 turn
Area of Effect: A 5-foot by 5-foot area
Saving Throw: None
This spell enchants a specific area to act as an aid for teleportation spells. If a caster is using a teleport spell to travel to this location, the magic of this spell will guarantee that the teleport is errorless. The area to be target of this spell must be immobile (you cannot create a teleport locus on a ship or in a wagon).

The locus provides no benefit if it is the source location for a teleport and not the destination (of course, if both source and destination locations are loci then the errorless benefit does occur). It also does not affect any other spell that targets an area even if that spell is one that transports someone/something by means other than teleportation (i.e. spells that create portals or movement via another dimension like a shadow walk spell).

The material components of this spell are a brush and a jar of pigments made from octopus or squid ink and powdered diamond (2,500 gp worth).

Summon Ecalypse
(Conjuration/Summoning, Shadow)
Range: 50 yards
Duration: 1 hour + 4d6 turns
Casting Time: 5
Area of Effect: Summons 1 ecalypse
The caster of this spell summons a mount, an ecalypse (see the MONSTROUS MANUAL tome) from the Plane of Shadow. The ecalypse serves its summoner willingly. Since it is a willing to serve, it provides all the normal benefits to the summoner as if it was a permanent mount (telepathic connection, shadow walk for ecalypse and rider; see the entry for more information). A summoned ecalypse cannot be turned into a permanent mount since the rider would have to “break” the ecalypse and this can only be done if it is encountered outside of this spell.

The material components include a pinch of ground obsidian, crushed bark of the shadowbark tree, and a handful of flaked platinum worth no less than 200 gp.

An Ecalypse is an Ephemeral (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ephemeral)

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2021 :  13:50:15  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Set Teleport Locus

The locus provides no benefit if it is the source location for a teleport and not the destination (of course, if both source and destination locations are loci then the errorless benefit does occur). It also does not affect any other spell that targets an area even if that spell is one that transports someone/something by means other than teleportation (i.e. spells that create portals or movement via another dimension like a shadow walk spell).

I infer that if both source and destination are loci, then two applications of the spell are necessary, one for each direction of travel. My other assumption is a loci must have been personally visited by the caster and is well known before the spell is cast. Are these assumptions reasonable?

I love this spell and am adjusting for conversion to 3.5/PF1e rules. Examples of adjustment: Duration 1 day/caster level or 1 use/caster level, whichever comes first. Permanency affects the former, not usage limits.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2021 :  17:21:06  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

Set Teleport Locus

I infer that if both source and destination are loci, then two applications of the spell are necessary, one for each direction of travel. My other assumption is a loci must have been personally visited by the caster and is well known before the spell is cast. Are these assumptions reasonable?

I love this spell and am adjusting for conversion to 3.5/PF1e rules. Examples of adjustment: Duration 1 day/caster level or 1 use/caster level, whichever comes first. Permanency affects the former, not usage limits.

Yes, if both ends has the spell on it, it would take two casting.

Using the table in the 2e version of Teleport, the target must have been at least "viewed once" so yes they would have had to have been there. If they have never been there, they wouldn't have a "feel" for the location enough to really target exactly where the locus is at.

Adjust how you see fit for your campaign. This spell (2e) was designed in this way: Teleport is level 5. Teleport without error is level 7. The difference is 2 spell levels. Therefore, taking the 2 spell level difference and adding 1 spell level for the base energy for a spell gave it as roughly a 3rd level spell to enhance the accuracy of a teleport. Add two levels to make it permanent (this is one of my rules for spell design), you have a 5th level spell to enhance teleports with a permanent duration (and corresponding more expensive material components).

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2021 :  18:21:40  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple spells(2e) for those creating magic items:

Object Permanency
(Abjuration)
Level: 6
Casting Time: 2 rounds
Area of Effect: One object
This is basically the same as the eighth level spell permanency except for the fact that it only affects objects that have had an enchant an item or awaken spell cast upon them. This limits the spell as being useful only for the creation of magic items. This spell was created by Mardallin.

Improved Veladar’s Vambrace
(Alteration)
Level: 7
Range: Touch
Casting Time: 7
Area of Effect: One item no larger in volume than the caster’s body volume
Except as noted, this spell is identical to the 5th level spell Veladar’s vambrace (found in VGtaTM). The major change is that this can affect both organic and inorganic substances and that the object uses the most advantageous of the material tables when it has to make a saving throw against damage. It also receives a +5 bonus to all saving throws.

The material components of this spell are a whole diamond of not less than 3,000 gp value and a sliver or chunk of ironwood of the same size or larger than the diamond.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2021 :  13:20:00  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TheIriaeban,
Do you have more of those homebrew metamagic spells such as alacrity IV? Is there some rule you have for assigning spell levels for different metamagic effects? I am totally stealing these spells for my own campaigns.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2021 :  15:22:31  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were already baseline versions of these spells. I just created "improved" versions using one of my rules for spell design: you can improve one aspect of a spell (duration/area of affect/etc or spell affects) for an increase of spell level by one. That is how the level was set for these.

Here are the remaining Alacrity spells(2e):

Alacrity II
(Alteration)
Duration: 2 turns + 2 rounds/level
Casting Time: 2
Area of Effect: The caster
This spell is the same as the 3rd-level spell alacrity except as noted above and as follows: it affects spells of 7th level and lower. Additionally, the casting times of greater than 1 round are reduced by 40%, casting times of 1 round are reduce to a casting time of 6, casting times of 9 are reduced to 5, casting times of 7-8 are reduced by 3, casting times of 3-6 are reduced by 2, and casting times of 2 are reduced to 1.

This spell was created by Rodushan Cablemnor of Iriaebor.

Alacrity III
(Alteration)
Duration: 3 turns + 3 rounds/level
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: The caster
This spell is the same as the 3rd-level spell alacrity except as noted above and as follows: it affects spells of any level. Additionally, the casting times of greater than 1 round are reduced by 60%, casting times of 1 round are reduce to a casting time of 4, casting times of 9 are reduced to 4, casting times of 7-8 are reduced to 3, casting times of 4-6 are reduced to 2, and casting times of 2-3 are reduced to 1.

This spell was created by Rodushan Cablemnor of Iriaebor.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2021 :  15:39:32  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Far Reaching I through III is in the 2e Tome of Magic. I used the same pattern shown in these spells to create higher level versions.

Far Reaching IV
(Alteration)
Level: 6
Components: V
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 6
Area of Effect: Affects next cast spell
This spell operates exactly like the 3rd-level far reaching I spell except that the range of any spell of levels 1-3 is increased by 200% (3x range); the range of any 4th- or 5th-level spell is increased by 100% (2x range); the range of any 6th-level spell is increased by 50%. The spell to be affected must be cast on the round immediately following the far reaching IV spell or the latter is wasted. A wizard can use this spell only to affect his own dweomers. It does not affect spells with range 0 or touch. This spell was created by Lerin Lightlimb of Highmoon.

Far Reaching V
(Alteration)
This spell operates exactly like the 3rd-level far reaching I spell except that the range of any spell of levels 1-4 is increased by 200% (3x range); the range of any 5th- or 6th-level spell is increased by 100% (2x range); the range of any 7th-level spell is increased by 50%. The spell to be affected must be cast on the round immediately following the far reaching V spell or the latter is wasted. A wizard can use this spell only to affect his own dweomers. It does not affect spells with range 0 or touch. This spell was created by Lerin Lightlimb of Highmoon.

Far Reaching VI
(Alteration)
Level: 8
Casting Time: 8
This spell operates exactly like the 3rd-level far reaching I spell except that the range of any spell of levels 1-5 is increased by 200% (3x range); the range of any 6th- or 7th-level spell is increased by 100% (2x range); the range of any 8th-level spell is increased by 50%. The spell to be affected must be cast on the round immediately following the far reaching VI spell or the latter is wasted. A wizard can use this spell only to affect his own dweomers. It does not affect spells with range 0 or touch. This spell was created by Lerin Lightlimb of Highmoon.

Far Reaching VII
(Alteration)
Level: 9
Casting Time: 9
This spell operates exactly like the 3rd-level far reaching I spell except that the range of any spell of levels 1-3 is increased by 300% (4x range); the range of any spells of levels 4-6 is increased by 200% (3x range); the range of any 7th- or 8th-level spell is increased by 100% (2x range); the range of any 9th-level spell is increased by 50%. The spell to be affected must be cast on the round immediately following the far reaching VI spell or the latter is wasted. A wizard can use this spell only to affect his own dweomers. It does not affect spells with range 0 or touch. This spell was created by Lerin Lightlimb of Highmoon.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2021 :  15:48:52  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Extension I though III is in the PHB(2e). I followed the same pattern for the higher level ones.

Extension IV
(Alteration)
Area of Effect: Special
This spell is the same as the extension I spell, except that it will extend 1st- through 4th-level spells to double duration and will extend the duration of 5th- or 6th-level spell by 50%. This spell was created by Lerin Lightlimb of Highmoon.

Extension V
(Alteration)
This spell is the same as the extension I spell, except that it will extend 1st- through 3rd-level spells to triple duration, 4th- and 5th-level spells to double duration and will extend the duration of 6th- or 7th-level spell by 50%. This spell was created by Lerin Lightlimb of Highmoon.

Extension VI
(Alteration)
Level: 9
Casting Time: 9
This spell is the same as the extension I spell, except that it will extend 1st- through 5th-level spells to triple duration, 6th- and 7th-level spells to double duration and will extend the duration of 8th-level spell by 50%. This spell was created by Lerin Lightlimb of Highmoon.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2021 :  16:06:29  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dilation I and II are in the Tome of Magic(2e). I just used the same pattern for the final spell in the series. Finally, here is a magic item that ties them all together.

Dilation III
(Alteration)
Duration: As spell affected
Area of Effect: Next spell cast
This spell functions exactly like the 4th-level dilation I spell, except that the area of effect of a 1st-, 2nd-, or 3rd-level spell is doubled or the area of effect of a 4th- or 5th-level spell is extended by 50%. Alternatively, the wizard can extend the area of effect of one 6th-or 7th-level spell by 25%. Fractional measurements are dropped.
The dilation III spell must be cast immediately prior to the spell to be affected; if a complete round or more elapses, the dilation spell is wasted. The dilation spell affects only spells that have areas of effect defined in feet or yards (numbers of creatures cannot be increased). The dilation affects only spells cast by the same wizard. This spell was created by Rodushan Cablemnor of Iriaebor.

Girdle of Spell Mastery: This broad, hardened leather belt is typically embossed with a repeating pattern of staves surrounded in fire (similar to the surrounding fire seen in the god Azuth’s symbol) that has been outlined in gold and silver thread. It bears enchantments that keep it from rotting or growing molds and is immune to purely magical damage (spells that do non-elemental damage) as well as physical force. For elemental type damage, the girdle saves as the best material for that damage type with a +5 to the saving throw.

The girdle provides arcane spell casters with a continuous improvement to one aspect of their spell casting: area of effect, casting speed, duration, or range. The wearer chooses which aspect of their casting is enhanced and it will stay that way until the caster, by mental command, selects a different aspect to enhance. This change will take a full round so that the newly selected aspect will not be in place until the beginning of the next round (the old one fades slowly so it is still in effect until the next round). Additionally, up to three times per day, the wearer can have all four aspects boosted for 3 continuous rounds.

There are minor (3,500 xp) and major (6,000 xp) versions of the girdle. Only 10% of these girdles are of the major version.

The minor version offers the following benefits for the selected aspect:
Aspect Affect on spellcasting
Area of Effect The area of effect of 1st-, 2nd-, or 3rd-level spells are extended by 50%. The area of effect of 4th-or 5th-level spells is increased by 25%. Fractional measurements are dropped.
Casting speed For spells up to level 5, casting times of 2-5 are reduced by 1; casting times of 6-9 are reduced by 2; and a casting time of one round is reduced to a casting time of 8. Casting times for spells that require more than 1 round are reduced by 20%
Duration Extends 1st- through 3rd-level spells to double duration and will extend the duration of 4th- or 5th-level spell by 50%. It does not affect spells with a duration of instantaneous.
Range The range of any spell of levels 1-3 is increased by 150%; the range of any 4th- or 5th-level spell is increased by 50%. It does not affect spells with range 0 or touch.

The major version offers the following benefits for the selected aspect:
Aspect Affect on spellcasting
Area of Effect The area of effect of 1st-, 2nd-, or 3rd-level spells are doubled. The area of effect of 4th- or 5th-level spells is extended by 50%. The area of effect of 6th-or 7th-level spells are increased by 25%. Fractional measurements are dropped.
Casting speed For all spell levels, casting times of 2-7 are reduced to 1; casting times of 8-9 are reduced to 2; and a casting time of one round is reduced to a casting time of 2. Casting times for spells that require more than 1 round are reduced by 80%
Duration Extends 1st- through 5th-level spells to triple duration, 6th- and 7th-level spells to double duration and will extend the duration of 8th-level spells by 50%. It does not affect spells with a duration of instantaneous.
Range The range of any spell of levels 1-3 is increased by 300% (4x range); the range of any spells of levels 4-6 is increased by 200% (3x range); the range of any 7th- or 8th-level spell is increased by 100% (2x range); the range of any 9th-level spell is increased by 50%. It does not affect spells with range 0 or touch.

Edit: fixed typo.

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 10 Oct 2021 16:17:46
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1823 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2021 :  21:16:20  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Insert MORE! meme

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2021 :  22:54:27  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple spells (2e) that show that there is nothing more fun than messing with someone's mind:

Kendrick’s Chaos
(Enchantment/Charm)
Level: 1
Range: 120 yards
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: 1 creature/level in a 60-foot cube
Saving Throw: Negates
Very similar to charm person except that on a failed saving throw, the person affected will not agree with any action, choice, or decision made by anyone else. The more members of a group that are affected, the more likely that the entire group will only stand around arguing about a course of action (50% + 10%/person affected).

The alignment of the individuals will determine their individual actions. Good or lawful beings will tend to discuss things while evil or chaotic beings may resort to violence to get their point across (the chance of violence would vary widely based on the situation so it is up to the DM to decide if the argument goes that far). Neutral beings have a 50% chance of either.

The spell was created by Kendrick Woglegstrom of the Shoon Empire.

Superciliousness
(Enchantment/Charm, Illusion/Phantasm)
Range: 120 yards
Area of Effect: 1 person
Saving Throw: Negates
This spell is similar to the charm person spell with one difference: instead of making the target like the caster, it makes the target think that he is better than everyone else. He is the best looking, most powerful individual there ever was. Anything the target does is easy for him and requires next to no effort. Others are weaker and not as smart as he obviously is. People who are familiar with the target will realize almost immediately that something is wrong with the individual, very likely as soon as they open their mouth to make some kind of grand statement about themselves.

In game terms, this is expressed by a -2/-10% modifier to all saves or checks including saving throws, attack rolls, Armor Class, damage rolls (to a minimum of 1), ability checks, etc. Any damage the individual takes is “a mere scratch” and will even look better in his eyes due to the illusion portion of the spell.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2021 :  00:40:56  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This spell is veering perilously close to Monty Python's Black Knight. So if the target who fails a save gets a limb amputated via sword of sharpness, does that mean he or she will merely say "just a flesh wound"? Or even worse, "I'm invincible!" ?

quote:

Any damage the individual takes is “a mere scratch” and will even look better in his eyes due to the illusion portion of the spell.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2021 :  00:55:32  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This spell is veering perilously close to Monty Python's Black Knight. So if the target who fails a save gets a limb amputated via sword of sharpness, does that mean he or she will merely say "just a flesh wound"? Or even worse, "I'm invincible!" ?

quote:

Any damage the individual takes is “a mere scratch” and will even look better in his eyes due to the illusion portion of the spell.

Who knows? Maybe that guy got the mighty wizard Tim mad at him and he was the first recipient of the spell?

That spell is mostly there for the role playing possibilities. Image that Black Knight is your friend and you have to make sure he doesn't get himself dismembered or killed all while probably wanting to kill him yourself.

Or, you need to influence a group of people but their leader is too popular. Turn him into a loud-mouth braggard and see if his followers still listen to him.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2021 :  01:25:16  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who knows? Maybe that guy got the mighty wizard Tim mad at him and he was the first recipient of the spell?

That spell is mostly there for the role playing possibilities. Image that Black Knight is your friend and you have to make sure he doesn't get himself dismembered or killed all while probably wanting to kill him yourself.

Or, you need to influence a group of people but their leader is too popular. Turn him into a loud-mouth braggard and see if his followers still listen to him.

The opportunities for mischief ever accrue. Is there more information about the spell's duration? In particular, what happens to the target when the spell (eventually?) ends? I can imagine some snarky bard saying something to the effect of "Even Elminster could not tell you were ever under the effect of that spell!" to the target.

All jokes aside, I could see this spell cast on an orc leader, eventually stopping a raid on a village with less harm inflicted on the defenders.

EDIT: Casting Kendrick's Chaos at a Luruar conference may very well fail on every single participant, but you would still get the desired results. Advice: Avoid Alustriel and Taern Hornblade altogether. Focus a heightened superciliousness spell on King Harbromm.

Edited by - Delnyn on 13 Oct 2021 01:32:05
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2155 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2021 :  12:14:59  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

it could be true but current elves would disavow the spell in an attempt to "whitewash" their history since all surface elves are buddies and only the evil, nasty drow would have a spell that specifically targets other elves.

Or at least became "not kosher", now that the encouraged behaviour is huddling together (at least, officially).
Against the drow anything goes, but they are magic resistant. Also, since it's easy to cancel with a swift kick, sleep and equivalents thereof are spells for sneaking rather than combat. Usually it's the drow who get the drop on their cousins rather than the other way around, as they both are the attackers in most engagements and are better at security when not.
Looks like it does have a niche good enough to not be lost, but unlikely to be popular even there.

quote:

Set Teleport Locus

It's good, but IMHO needs some sort of a "key", perhaps non-expendable attuned token(s), to make inbound teleport "know" the target.

BTW, were teleport circles statted in any way anywhere?

quote:

Object Permanency
[...] This is basically the same as the eighth level spell permanency except for the fact that it only affects objects that have had an enchant an item or awaken spell cast upon them. This limits the spell as being useful only for the creation of magic items.

How it's much of a "limit"? Creation of permanent, portable, transferable magic items is the most powerful application of permanency.
If there's a place for "lesser permanency", it's persistent immovable spell effects, IMHO.
Perhaps with an anchoring object as semi-cosmetic limitation to justify drop by 2 levels (it's a problem almost exclusively in mid-air, but planting one securely would require some messing about, thus hindering more aggressive uses as "cast two spells under improved invisibility and get out").

Edited by - TBeholder on 13 Oct 2021 12:20:02
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2021 :  14:16:24  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The opportunities for mischief ever accrue. Is there more information about the spell's duration? In particular, what happens to the target when the spell (eventually?) ends? I can imagine some snarky bard saying something to the effect of "Even Elminster could not tell you were ever under the effect of that spell!" to the target.

As listed in the description, it just like the charm person spell so who qualifies as a person, the time between saving throws based on the target's INT, and as it says in the charm person description (2e) "Note that the subject has full memory of the events that took place while he was charmed." That could lead to some very awkward conversations with friends and loved ones.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2021 :  15:06:35  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

it could be true but current elves would disavow the spell in an attempt to "whitewash" their history since all surface elves are buddies and only the evil, nasty drow would have a spell that specifically targets other elves.

Or at least became "not kosher", now that the encouraged behaviour is huddling together (at least, officially).
Against the drow anything goes, but they are magic resistant. Also, since it's easy to cancel with a swift kick, sleep and equivalents thereof are spells for sneaking rather than combat. Usually it's the drow who get the drop on their cousins rather than the other way around, as they both are the attackers in most engagements and are better at security when not.
Looks like it does have a niche good enough to not be lost, but unlikely to be popular even there.

quote:

Set Teleport Locus

It's good, but IMHO needs some sort of a "key", perhaps non-expendable attuned token(s), to make inbound teleport "know" the target.

BTW, were teleport circles statted in any way anywhere?

quote:

Object Permanency
[...] This is basically the same as the eighth level spell permanency except for the fact that it only affects objects that have had an enchant an item or awaken spell cast upon them. This limits the spell as being useful only for the creation of magic items.

How it's much of a "limit"? Creation of permanent, portable, transferable magic items is the most powerful application of permanency.
If there's a place for "lesser permanency", it's persistent immovable spell effects, IMHO.
Perhaps with an anchoring object as semi-cosmetic limitation to justify drop by 2 levels (it's a problem almost exclusively in mid-air, but planting one securely would require some messing about, thus hindering more aggressive uses as "cast two spells under improved invisibility and get out").

It is because of the drow MR that it is not a good choice for use against them which is why the drow wouldn't use it against each other. It could be very useful for the drow against elves because you can pretty easily kill a sleeping target. Cast a spell on a small group and suddenly they are all dead, quietly and efficiently.

For the teleport loci, not having a key is a risk you have to take if you want to use it. Sure, your teleports are errorless but so is any one else's that wants to use it. Is the risk of someone else using it worth the convenience of having it?

I would argue that making a permanent magic item is not the most powerful part of Permanency. Being able to make an effect on yourself permanent is because while you can have a magic item taken away from you, you cannot be disarmed of yourself.

Also, it is a level 6 spell so it can be acquired at level 12. So, while a level 12 wizard can make permanent magic items, he is not going to be making stuff beyond his understanding. That means that any magic item that replicates the effects of a spell of level 7 or higher or is of extreme power is simply out of his understanding. No rings of wizardry, vorpal blades, or robes of the magi. Even a level 16 wizard who gets permanency wouldn't be able to make those. Maybe have it so that a level 12 can only make permanent items of 500 xp or less and that increases by 500 per level gained until it becomes unlimited at level 18?

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
904 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2021 :  16:03:55  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some more combat related spells (2e):

Stabilize Balance
(Alteration)
Duration: 5 round/level
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: 1 creature
The spell lowers a creature’s center of gravity to be below the surface they are walking on. The effect is that while the recipient may be knocked down, they will automatically right themselves like a properly ballasted ship will when hit by a wave. Also, it will be impossible for the recipient to fall down while on a slippery surface. The surface is still slippery so movement is halved but the creature will not have to make any sort of Dexterity checks to remain upright and will be able to melee without penalty.

The material component is either a tuft of cat hair or a sliver of wood from a ship's keel. This spell was created by Orlan of Highmoon.

Strengthen Aura
(Abjuration)
Duration: 1 hour/level
Area of Effect: Creature touched
This spell will strengthen the aura surrounding the creature or person touched. This strengthening is expressed as either a +1 to the recipient’s AC or +1 to their saving throws. The selection of how the bonus is applied is made at casting time and cannot be changed afterwards.

The effect will increase for every four experience levels gained by the caster up to level 21 (so, +2 at level 5, +3 at level 9, etc). The maximum is a +6 value that must be divided into the different types as desired (with a maximum of +4 to either AC or saving throws). An example is that the effect could be +3 to AC and +3 to saving throws or it could be +2 to AC and +4 to saving throws or any other combination equaling 6 (at level 21).

This spell’s effect will stack with any other method of increasing AC or saving throws except for itself, magic armor of any type, or a ring of protection. The AC bonus is also applied to a being’s MAC (if psionics are being used in the campaign). If another strengthen aura spell is cast or a ring of protection is worn, only the most powerful will be used. This spell will function in conjunction with the 2nd level spell resiliency.

This spell was created by Dini Wannis, Master of Warder’s Rest.

Resiliency
(Abjuration)
Level: 2
Duration: 1 hour/level
Casting Time: 2
Area of Effect: Creature touched
This spell will toughen the clothing and skin of the creature or person touched while not affecting their mobility. This toughening is expressed as a +1 to the recipient’s AC and saving throws. The effect will increase for every three experience levels gained by the caster up to level 15 with a maximum value of +5.

This spell’s effect cannot function in conjunction with any sort of magical armor, normal armor not made of leather or cloth, with a shield of any sort, or a cloak of protection. The AC bonus is also applied to a psionic being’s MAC. If another resiliency spell is cast or a cloak of protection is worn, only the most powerful will be used. This spell will function in conjunction with the 1st level spell strengthen aura or a ring of protection

This spell was created by Thander Dawnstar, Lord High Mage of Iriaebor.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2155 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2021 :  17:57:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For the teleport loci, not having a key is a risk you have to take if you want to use it. Sure, your teleports are errorless but so is any one else's that wants to use it. Is the risk of someone else using it worth the convenience of having it?

Ah. The simplest effect for this would be: indiscriminately redirect inbound teleport attempts from a larger AoE (which covers entire area of possible mis-aimed teleports) into a concentric small spot. Which gives us a benchmark, since it's a variant of Translocation Shift (L7 Alteration, Evocation - from "The Wizards Three" by Ed Greenwood, Dragon #219); differences: AoE instead of 1 ft/CL radius should cover those 320 ft (so it's gigantic, but presumably fixed); and while Translocation Shift can bounce an unlucky phase spider to another planet, this one does not interfere with effects other than teleport and has secondary Range = 0 (instead of "within the plane").
Non-indiscriminate versions would be more complicated in function than this and/or delay inbound teleports.
Sounds about right?

quote:
I would argue that making a permanent magic item is not the most powerful part of Permanency. Being able to make an effect on yourself permanent is because while you can have a magic item taken away from you, you cannot be disarmed of yourself.

This isn't as much about what the spell does, however, but how convenient it is for specific circumstances that may or may not be present.
Objectively, it's concentration of power (time compression, as in having more spells going than the wizard could cast at once) limited by applicable AND available AND allowed spells.
While items are a much greater concentration of power (in that there are less limitations on the spells, than just some personal-range ones) plus versatility.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000