Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 61

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31630 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  01:25:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Cammarathinor: Created by gnomes (the name is gnomish for “knowledge stone”), these clear or translucent gemstones of crystalline structure no larger in size than a gnome’s balled fist, can receive and hold written information.

If it is held up to the light, a tiny scroll can be seen at the center of the gem. A being who closes their eyes and concentrates on a held gem (only one can be utilized at a time) gets a mental image of the gem opening up and a list of titles for the written works contained appears (if any). The user mentally selects the title and can go to any page desired in the work. The gemstone can hold one written work of no more than 200 pages in length per gp value of the gemstone. As an example, a 500 gp gem could hold 500 written works. Once a written work is stored, it cannot be removed. Having a written work stored in this manner does not affect the user’s reading speed or retention of what is read. The method by which information was transferred into a cammarathinor has not been found and no one so far has discovered a means to accomplish this (among gnomes, the rumor is that Fhzmilliyun Sparkledrim knew of a way but no one has been able to locate it).

Cammarathinor cannot contain any sort of magical writings (spellbooks, scrolls, librams, tomes, etc). However, a very rare version has been found that can. Called a cammaradil, these gems can hold up to 1 spell per 10gp value of the gem. The being holding the stone is able to transfer a memorized spell into the gemstone and thereafter use the gemstone as a spellbook for memorizing that spell. It takes 1 round per level of the spell to be “transcribed” into the gemstone. The spell is lost from the being’s memory just as if they had cast the spell normally. Again, once a spell is transcribed into the cammaradil, it cannot be erased (even by using the spell of the same name).

A cammarathinor/cammaradil otherwise has no special properties besides being immune to damage by natural and magical heat, flame, lava, extreme cold, or mineral contamination. Shattering a cammarathinor/cammaradil (normal save versus crushing blow) does nothing more than destroy the gemstone and make any information held within unrecoverable by any magic less than a wish. A dispel magic cast on such a stone does not affect it in any way.




That's pretty nifty, though I'd limit the amount of books one of these can store -- I'm not keen on one gem being an entire library. Maybe make it something like 1d4 books per 100 gp.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Sep 2018 01:40:04
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  02:36:06  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was trying to one-up a kiira figuring that a gnome could work with a gem better than an elf. If I remember my thinking, a kiira would hold the memories of a number of elves so a gnome "harddrive" should be able to hold quite a bit of information. While it may make a library portable, it doesn't eliminate the cost of creating one and imagine the owner's fury when some cutpurse just took his 20,000 gp library. Easily portable works both ways. That's the cost of convenience.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  02:36:07  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think it might be cooler if it was not some mental magic, rather, the information was recorded into minute imperfections within the crystal that could be read if wearing eye scopes and held to light.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  02:44:18  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

Scryology is more about actions and means to achieve results bending minds and extracting information and less about relying on imagined beings who one really doesn't understand.



He created a deliberately ridiculous word based on the term scrying to ridicule. You took that and amplified it by confusing scrying, a purview of the school of divination with spells from the school of Enchantment.

Your Zulkirs would expel you and probably trade you for a kobold slave or two.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  02:47:19  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't think of that. Plus it means there is something else needed so that if the lenses are lost, you can't access the information until they are found or new ones made/purchased.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31630 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  03:19:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Yeah, I was trying to one-up a kiira figuring that a gnome could work with a gem better than an elf. If I remember my thinking, a kiira would hold the memories of a number of elves so a gnome "harddrive" should be able to hold quite a bit of information. While it may make a library portable, it doesn't eliminate the cost of creating one and imagine the owner's fury when some cutpurse just took his 20,000 gp library. Easily portable works both ways. That's the cost of convenience.



Considering that a tel'kiira can hold centuries' worth of elven knowledge and has strict requirements for who can use it, I'd not say that your creation one-ups that. Not trying to bash your effort or anything, but this doesn't come close to equaling a tel'kiira, much less improving on it. Essentially, it's a simple e-reader, as opposed to a full-on tablet.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, and I wish I'd thought of it. But I think that in a world where the mass production of books isn't a thing that being able to carry around literally hundreds of books shouldn't be that easy.

In the Realms, most people will go their entire lives without even seeing hundreds of books -- only scholars, some priests, and wealthy people would be able to say otherwise. There simply isn't a need to carry hundreds of books.

Going with my suggestion, a gemstone worth 1000 gp could still hold, potentially, 40 books. That's still a heck of a lot by Realms standards; even 20 books could be worth a fortune to the right person, depending on the subject matter.

In fact, I can see a lot of potential just from that angle. Perhaps priests of Cyric want to destroy this one particular stone, which holds the only known copy of Cyric's mom's diary. Maybe a sage has learned of a stone that holds a dozen books on his chosen specialty, and wants the PCs to get that stone for him, by any means possible. Maybe the PCs one day find what they think is a regular gemstone and pocket it, and later find assassins after them -- the gemstone is a cammarathinor that contains a ledger proving that a guildmaster has been skimming guild profits into his own pocket for years, and he'd be ruined if anyone found that out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31630 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  03:21:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

i think it might be cooler if it was not some mental magic, rather, the information was recorded into minute imperfections within the crystal that could be read if wearing eye scopes and held to light.




While I do like this idea, this also limits how much can be written into a stone -- the more imperfections, the less the gp value, and thus fewer books.

Perhaps a compromise, of sorts? The gemstone acts as a projector, creating an illusory copy of the book that can be opened and have pages turned like a real book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7582 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  12:15:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Cammarathinor: Created by gnomes (the name is gnomish for “knowledge stone”), these clear or translucent gemstones of crystalline structure no larger in size than a gnome’s balled fist, can receive and hold written information.

If it is held up to the light, a tiny scroll can be seen at the center of the gem. A being who closes their eyes and concentrates on a held gem (only one can be utilized at a time) gets a mental image of the gem opening up and a list of titles for the written works contained appears (if any). The user mentally selects the title and can go to any page desired in the work. The gemstone can hold one written work of no more than 200 pages in length per gp value of the gemstone. As an example, a 500 gp gem could hold 500 written works. Once a written work is stored, it cannot be removed. Having a written work stored in this manner does not affect the user’s reading speed or retention of what is read. The method by which information was transferred into a cammarathinor has not been found and no one so far has discovered a means to accomplish this (among gnomes, the rumor is that Fhzmilliyun Sparkledrim knew of a way but no one has been able to locate it).

Cammarathinor cannot contain any sort of magical writings (spellbooks, scrolls, librams, tomes, etc). However, a very rare version has been found that can. Called a cammaradil, these gems can hold up to 1 spell per 10gp value of the gem. The being holding the stone is able to transfer a memorized spell into the gemstone and thereafter use the gemstone as a spellbook for memorizing that spell. It takes 1 round per level of the spell to be “transcribed” into the gemstone. The spell is lost from the being’s memory just as if they had cast the spell normally. Again, once a spell is transcribed into the cammaradil, it cannot be erased (even by using the spell of the same name).

A cammarathinor/cammaradil otherwise has no special properties besides being immune to damage by natural and magical heat, flame, lava, extreme cold, or mineral contamination. Shattering a cammarathinor/cammaradil (normal save versus crushing blow) does nothing more than destroy the gemstone and make any information held within unrecoverable by any magic less than a wish. A dispel magic cast on such a stone does not affect it in any way.




I like it. Similar to a kiira, but not as effective. It makes for a nice way to both preserve and transport a rather basic library. Well done, goodsir.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7582 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  12:29:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

i think it might be cooler if it was not some mental magic, rather, the information was recorded into minute imperfections within the crystal that could be read if wearing eye scopes and held to light.




Hmm, or perhaps if you shine a light through it at various angles, it projects an image of the page (as an illusion mind you) onto the wall. This would very much make it fit with gnomish magic, it being illusions. Also, perhaps different books are readable with different colored light projections, such that you shoot a red light through it and it puts out illusions of pages from "A treatise of the uses of various trees of Northern Faerun in fine craftsmanship" whereas shooting a blue light may produce "Herbology: a study of the use of leaves and berries to cure ills". This could also help obscure it because maybe the light has to be at a certain frequency, etc... so you have to have a certain kind of light projector.


BTW, if this sounds very similar to the cartoon How to Train your Dragon on Netflix and the thing they have where a dragon shines its light through it. There might even be something similar to it wherein if you find like 5 specific gems and shine a certain light through it, it will reveal a "hidden" book that's separated throughout multiple gems.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7582 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  12:31:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

Scryology is more about actions and means to achieve results bending minds and extracting information and less about relying on imagined beings who one really doesn't understand.



He created a deliberately ridiculous word based on the term scrying to ridicule. You took that and amplified it by confusing scrying, a purview of the school of divination with spells from the school of Enchantment.

Your Zulkirs would expel you and probably trade you for a kobold slave or two.



Let me be clear... I didn't create that word.... Scryology is entirely Thraskir's. I used his own word.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7582 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  12:32:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

i think it might be cooler if it was not some mental magic, rather, the information was recorded into minute imperfections within the crystal that could be read if wearing eye scopes and held to light.




While I do like this idea, this also limits how much can be written into a stone -- the more imperfections, the less the gp value, and thus fewer books.

Perhaps a compromise, of sorts? The gemstone acts as a projector, creating an illusory copy of the book that can be opened and have pages turned like a real book.



LOL, Wooly, it seems we hit upon the same idea. Good job.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2043 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  13:53:24  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

Scryology is more about actions and means to achieve results bending minds and extracting information and less about relying on imagined beings who one really doesn't understand.



He created a deliberately ridiculous word based on the term scrying to ridicule. You took that and amplified it by confusing scrying, a purview of the school of divination with spells from the school of Enchantment.

Your Zulkirs would expel you and probably trade you for a kobold slave or two.



Let me be clear... I didn't create that word.... Scryology is entirely Thraskir's. I used his own word.



Ha. My bad. I wouldn't claim it either :)
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2018 :  02:34:07  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joyous Communion of Laughter. Here is another spell developed by a gnome for gnomes. (It was only after I had to create a gnome illusionist/thief NPC and get inside her head that I realized just how little there was out there for gnome specific magic. These guys are crazily inventive. They should almost be swimming in spells of their own creation).

Fhzmilliyun’s Hallway — Gnome
(Alteration, Illusion)
Level 4
Range: Touch
Components: S
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: 10-foot wide by 5 feet/level length of tunnel or hallway
Saving Throw: Special

Created to defend their dwellings, the spell will weaken an invading force by shrinking them as they go further into the area of effect. The affected area has a maximum width of 10 feet and up to 5 feet in length per level of the caster. For each 5 feet traveled by creatures hostile to the gnome caster, they will shrink by 10 percent of their normal size down to a minimum height of 1 inch. There is an illusionary component of the spell so that this shrinkage will not be noticed by those affected by the spell. They may think that the tunnel is getting larger but they will not notice that the people further along in the area of effect are smaller than they used to be. However, they may later get a nasty surprise when encountering “giant gnomes” (seemingly up to 200 feet tall when at maximum effect).

Much like the reverse of the enlarge spell, the damage output is reduced proportionally. For example, an orc wielding a short sword that has been reduced by 50% would also have the damage of the sword reduced by 50%. Magical effects are not affected so a +1 sword would still be +1 and a wand of fireballs the size of a sewing needle would still produce a 6d6 fireball.

There are two saving throws associated with this spell: one for the shrinking effect and one for the illusion so that members of the same group can see themselves or others shrinking or not shrinking depending on who is successful with each saving throw. A dispel magic spell can end Fhzmilliyun’s hallway but it will take a dispel magic per affected being to cancel out any shrinkage that has already happened.

This spell was created by Fhzmilliyun Sparkledrim, a famous (at least among gnomes) illusionist from the time of Ascalhorn.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

200 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2018 :  05:18:07  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Joyous Communion of Laughter. Here is another spell developed by a gnome for gnomes. (It was only after I had to create a gnome illusionist/thief NPC and get inside her head that I realized just how little there was out there for gnome specific magic. These guys are crazily inventive. They should almost be swimming in spells of their own creation).

Fhzmilliyun’s Hallway — Gnome
(Alteration, Illusion)
Level 4
Range: Touch
Components: S
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: 10-foot wide by 5 feet/level length of tunnel or hallway
Saving Throw: Special

Created to defend their dwellings, the spell will weaken an invading force by shrinking them as they go further into the area of effect. The affected area has a maximum width of 10 feet and up to 5 feet in length per level of the caster. For each 5 feet traveled by creatures hostile to the gnome caster, they will shrink by 10 percent of their normal size down to a minimum height of 1 inch. There is an illusionary component of the spell so that this shrinkage will not be noticed by those affected by the spell. They may think that the tunnel is getting larger but they will not notice that the people further along in the area of effect are smaller than they used to be. However, they may later get a nasty surprise when encountering “giant gnomes” (seemingly up to 200 feet tall when at maximum effect).

Much like the reverse of the enlarge spell, the damage output is reduced proportionally. For example, an orc wielding a short sword that has been reduced by 50% would also have the damage of the sword reduced by 50%. Magical effects are not affected so a +1 sword would still be +1 and a wand of fireballs the size of a sewing needle would still produce a 6d6 fireball.

There are two saving throws associated with this spell: one for the shrinking effect and one for the illusion so that members of the same group can see themselves or others shrinking or not shrinking depending on who is successful with each saving throw. A dispel magic spell can end Fhzmilliyun’s hallway but it will take a dispel magic per affected being to cancel out any shrinkage that has already happened.

This spell was created by Fhzmilliyun Sparkledrim, a famous (at least among gnomes) illusionist from the time of Ascalhorn.




You have several problems with this spell.

First when your 1 foot tall moving 5 feet will take as long as moving 30 feet when you are 6 feet tall.

And secondly 10% of what? Original height or current height. 50% decrease means you get down to 1 inch tall eventually but 10% of 6 feet is 64.8 inches 10% of that is 58.32 10% of that is 52.488 inches etc... Getting down to 1 inch would take an eternity. 41st level gnome illusionist to get to 1.06 inches of height and at 2 inches it will be 35 feet which will seem to be ~1890 feet of travel. At 1 round / level the spell will end before you go 10% of that. At 1 inch it will take about 9 rounds to walk 5 feet.

Thay Red

Edited by - Thraskir Skimper on 04 Oct 2018 05:19:02
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  04:56:24  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Joyous Communion of Laughter. Here is another spell developed by a gnome for gnomes. (It was only after I had to create a gnome illusionist/thief NPC and get inside her head that I realized just how little there was out there for gnome specific magic. These guys are crazily inventive. They should almost be swimming in spells of their own creation).

Fhzmilliyun’s Hallway — Gnome
(Alteration, Illusion)
Level 4
Range: Touch
Components: S
Duration: 1 round/level
Casting Time: 4
Area of Effect: 10-foot wide by 5 feet/level length of tunnel or hallway
Saving Throw: Special

Created to defend their dwellings, the spell will weaken an invading force by shrinking them as they go further into the area of effect. The affected area has a maximum width of 10 feet and up to 5 feet in length per level of the caster. For each 5 feet traveled by creatures hostile to the gnome caster, they will shrink by 10 percent of their normal size down to a minimum height of 1 inch. There is an illusionary component of the spell so that this shrinkage will not be noticed by those affected by the spell. They may think that the tunnel is getting larger but they will not notice that the people further along in the area of effect are smaller than they used to be. However, they may later get a nasty surprise when encountering “giant gnomes” (seemingly up to 200 feet tall when at maximum effect).

Much like the reverse of the enlarge spell, the damage output is reduced proportionally. For example, an orc wielding a short sword that has been reduced by 50% would also have the damage of the sword reduced by 50%. Magical effects are not affected so a +1 sword would still be +1 and a wand of fireballs the size of a sewing needle would still produce a 6d6 fireball.

There are two saving throws associated with this spell: one for the shrinking effect and one for the illusion so that members of the same group can see themselves or others shrinking or not shrinking depending on who is successful with each saving throw. A dispel magic spell can end Fhzmilliyun’s hallway but it will take a dispel magic per affected being to cancel out any shrinkage that has already happened.

This spell was created by Fhzmilliyun Sparkledrim, a famous (at least among gnomes) illusionist from the time of Ascalhorn.




You have several problems with this spell.

First when your 1 foot tall moving 5 feet will take as long as moving 30 feet when you are 6 feet tall.

And secondly 10% of what? Original height or current height. 50% decrease means you get down to 1 inch tall eventually but 10% of 6 feet is 64.8 inches 10% of that is 58.32 10% of that is 52.488 inches etc... Getting down to 1 inch would take an eternity. 41st level gnome illusionist to get to 1.06 inches of height and at 2 inches it will be 35 feet which will seem to be ~1890 feet of travel. At 1 round / level the spell will end before you go 10% of that. At 1 inch it will take about 9 rounds to walk 5 feet.




The second line of the spell says it is by 10 percent of their normal size. The description even later on references the reversed Enlarge spell (which was the inspiration for this spell).

It would still be 5 real feet. If their enemies are that determined to kill the gnomes, they will keep going. Also, a gnome is not necessarily going to turn and fight so slowing down the persuers is just as good. They may never reach maximum effect but it would still need to be defined to cover any situaton where there was a means of enhancing movement rate.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

200 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  06:24:26  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That just means the minimal effect is a 5" tall affected. of course tiny opponents are hard to defend against. Also the "Attackers" wouldn't see 200 foot tall Gnomes as the illusion prevents this.

An improvement might be to change the person to 10% size use the illusion and cast a gust of wind to blow them away. 10% size would mean 1/875th normal weight. The gust of wind would blow them away 2d6 x 10 feet.

Another problem the affected don't have their speed affected and the reduce person spell has a fortitude save. Fighters likely wouldn't be affected, Illusions don't affect undead or Golem, Mages and ranged attackers attacks are not affected and fighters are likely to save and not be affected. Inherent magic resistance or Globe of invulnerability would render the spell useless. Illusions are easier for High IQ individuals to save against or ignore. And area of effect dispel magic would reverse the whole spell.

Otherwise it is pretty cool.


Thay Red

Edited by - Thraskir Skimper on 05 Oct 2018 06:53:25
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2018 :  05:49:20  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Svirfneblin would probably have a similar reaction to yours since they have to deal with magic resistant enemies like the Drow. Fhz was most definitely a surface dweller and this was made more towards kobolds and orcs (It was certainly one of his earlier spells and created a long time before he built his Castle of Illusion). The Svirfneblin have developed their own defensive magic and there has been some trade in spells between the surface gnomes and the deep gnomes but environmental factors affect which spells would really be useful for each group. Maybe for this month's Communion of Laughter, I should post a spell developed by the Svirfneblin.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

200 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2018 :  23:43:13  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Little House.

This is a Trap / magic item.
It also makes a good prison.

The Little House is a door that leads to a treasure room. The door is locked but can be picked or knocked open. The door leads to a room with a hallway that ends in a chest it has 20 gold pieces around it it is locked and only opens with the key that is on the lock on the back of the door, the door opens inward and will stay open if let go of.

To remove the key the door needs to be closed.

Once the key is removed it can be used to open the chest and retrieve the treasure inside it.

The Chest contains 4,000 Gold pieces two large rubies 1,000 gpv and a small house with windows and a door. As long as the little house is in the chest nothing happens but if it is taken out it teleports away.

The Little House
Spell 6th level
Range 0
Casting time 3 minutes
Material component, 2 large rubies, 4000 gold pieces. All need to be placed on a Chest with a gold key. (Chest value 10 gpv Key 100 gpv)
The extra gold pieces are optional.

Somatic component is placing everything in the chest and then placing the extra coins around the chest. As the spell is cast one creates the room corridor and door. The gold key is used to exit the room. The door appears where the caster was standing either against a wall or in a corridor etc....

If the Little house teleports away it appears in the casters hand. The caster can look in and see those stuck in the room. If the gold is removed the key can lock the chest and open the door leading to the rest of the house. Looking out a window shows what is outside but one can't leave the house. Food appears in the kitchen pantry, water comes from the taps, the beds are comfortable. If a fire is started the house fills with smoke. The caster might even see smoke inside the house and if a window is opened smoke can leak out.

If all the gold and rubies are put back in the chest the coins stacked around the chest again and the chest locked with the key the key can open the door, the little house teleports back to the chest and the people in the little house can leave. If anything dangerous is on the other side of the door stepping out the door teleports you to a safe space 1d20 miles away. People usually figure it out in the end.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

837 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2018 :  02:38:38  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't play 5e, but I did notice that there was a dearth of iconic necromancy spells for the enterprising arcane necromancer. So here's a cheap conversion for everyone's favorite save or die.

WAIL OF THE BANSHEE
9th level necromancy

Classes Sorcerer, Wizard
Casting Time 1 action
Range 150 feet
Components V, S
Duration Instantaneous

A mournful wail rises in a 40 ft. radius spread from any point within range. Each creature within the area must make a Constitution saving throw. On failure, a creature drops to 0 hit points. On success, a creature takes 22 (5d8) points of psychic damage.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1747 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2018 :  22:21:38  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soap bubble wand of sound storing?
Soap bubble wand of Dancing Lights (doesn't need a liquid, just allows to produces little light source and control them; rechargeable; for extra charges produces a glowing "comet" light homing on the nearest lifeforce/unlife force/magic and allows to steer these - doubles as training talisman of the sphere)

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7582 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2018 :  23:33:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, I like that idea of the soap bubble wand of sound storing (granted that cartoon is pretty goofy in its use). Perhaps this is a way to send messages that appear telepathically in the minds of those that the bubble bursts against, but with an extremely limited range and limited control over the bubble itself. Perhaps it requires concentration to guide the bubble to the end person. This would be highly useful for communication by say warriors working by moonlight in preparation for an ambush, and it could be a relatively cheap magic item if its uses were limited to something wherein when activated they work for like 10 minutes a day. Maybe the same message could be delivered by multiple bubbles in the same round.

Another effect of a more powerful soap bubble wand might cause sonic damage without it being heard by other individuals. One might also be able to surround oneself with a cloud of bubbles which disperses sonic damage by absorbing it and popping.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

200 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  02:16:53  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
9th level spell

Orcus

This spell is a vocal only component that has the component of saying "Orcus"

When cast the spell has the effect of attracting the attention of Orcus. The chance of doing so is 1%. This chance can be increased by 1% for every 100 undead within 10000 feet of the caster.

Never more than 10%.

If the threshold is not achieved the spell is lost and nothing happens.

If the threshold is achieved one had better have something to give to Orcus. A whole bunch of undead a powerful item etc...

The spell doesn't summon or bind Orcus, it merely attracts his attention.

Casting the spell will move your alignment one point towards chaos and or evil, if all ready 0/0 Chaotic Evil it will grant you 1000 xp.

If Orcus responds you can use other magic upon him or bribe him with information etc...

You may be required to serve him or perform a duty.

Orcus is under no compulsion but if you present an opportunity might be favourable to you, up to your DM.

Thay Red

Edited by - Thraskir Skimper on 04 Dec 2018 02:17:47
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

200 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  02:34:15  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guards

These are Iron Golem that are much smaller than normal.

Typically they look like normal Humans, they maybe muscular but there is no need for them to be such.

They do not speak, they are 220 pounds and may be hollow, but they do not float.

They act as Iron Golem in every way except they are only 220 pounds and have less strength and do less damage.

Strength 14
Damage 1d6
Hit points 66
Movement as standard person.

every other characteristic is equal to a standard Iron golem.

Cost is 5 ingots of Iron, 2,000 gold pieces and the lesser golem spell.

Lesser golem, 5th level spell.
Components as per golem
casting time is 6 hours with a 1 hour break every 3 hours.

A black smith may be employed to help shape the Golem. The ingots and gold must be heated combined and the six parts of the spell cast every hour.

Golem will follow commands up to 20 words in length.

Spell is transformational in nature.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  13:04:38  Show Profile  Send LordXenophon an AOL message Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thraskir Skimper

9th level spell

Orcus

This spell is a vocal only component that has the component of saying "Orcus"

When cast the spell has the effect of attracting the attention of Orcus. The chance of doing so is 1%. This chance can be increased by 1% for every 100 undead within 10000 feet of the caster.

Never more than 10%.

If the threshold is not achieved the spell is lost and nothing happens.

If the threshold is achieved one had better have something to give to Orcus. A whole bunch of undead a powerful item etc...

The spell doesn't summon or bind Orcus, it merely attracts his attention.

Casting the spell will move your alignment one point towards chaos and or evil, if all ready 0/0 Chaotic Evil it will grant you 1000 xp.

If Orcus responds you can use other magic upon him or bribe him with information etc...

You may be required to serve him or perform a duty.

Orcus is under no compulsion but if you present an opportunity might be favourable to you, up to your DM.



Look at the 1e spell, Cacodaemon.

https://www.pks.mpg.de/~abernert/hobby/rules/conjure/node10.html

It's for the same purpose, it's only 7th level and it can summon any demon you know by name.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.

Edited by - LordXenophon on 04 Dec 2018 13:07:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31630 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  16:09:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal thinking is that Orcus is way too prominent to be summoned by anything less than a 9th-level spell, and even that would be very, very iffy, at best.

I think Skimpy's spell is too simple to cast, but the effect of maybe getting his attention is more reasonable to me. I'd have it written into the spell, though, that getting the attention of Orcus may not be in the caster's best interest.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000