Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Thar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  05:26:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I thought that the Horreb were Thri-Kreen...

Were they? I have no idea. I'm just trying to figure-out what kingdom goes where and when.

Maybe they were Thri-Kreen that identified as Ogres.

{I guess I need to go back through the thread and read the whole thing again...}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Feb 2018 05:28:02
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4014 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2018 :  13:30:36  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots and lots of questions.

So Barze is a successor state of netheril as we know. Barze fled netheril just prior to its fall following some novel that i didnt read so dont know the exact reason why.

Varm is a tribal trader nation made of civilised barbarians from the Ride most likely .

The Vane i think are a tribe of Netherese influenced barbarians that arent nice.

Horreb we have almost nothing about. They are artificers, they helped make the cube to reimprison maram and Brian imagined them as thri kreen.

These proto nations were then all conquered/betrayed by tyranthraxus during the war to reimprison maram and its aftermath and then suddenly all these groups disappeared and a huge wasteland called Thar was created.

Thats the canon bits. Everything else is my theories.

The horreb are not thrikreen they are a spellweaver human hybrid. The spellweavers were outcasts from eril and had a number of linked pseudo nodes powered by primordial beings which they were using to keep themselves protected in an extradimensional space (protected from the effects of the grand conjunction which destroyed the spellweavers), they were able to possess humans ethereally like ghosts and so still lived a life of sorts while their bodies were in stasis. The Fall of Netheril and disruption of the weave screwed up their protection and the possessed humans merged with the spellweavers to produce multi armed insectlike beings with much magical knowledge.

Maram was imprisoned in the monument of the ancients for ages until the netherese released him to battle the enemy in the seven sigils war. Vorbyx was one of the lieutenants of Maram (or maybe the enemy), he was an elder ogre born of othea but escaped annams curse that degenerated his brothers into the ogre race.

After the seven sigils war he sided with maram and after his defeat he fled.

Tyranthraxus meanwhile conquered the kingdoms he had forged into an alliance to defeat maram and just at the moment of victory he was thwarted by a dragon known as embrurshaille who performed a great ritual to elevate her to another state of being or enhance her with super powers. This ritual drained all magic from the region (and life). It destroyed barze, varm, etc and everyone in it. Tyranthraxus's body was destroyed but he persisted as a possession spirit (power he already possessed when he served as leader of the trio nefarious before they bound him in slumber a millennia ago in netheril)

At this point in time thar is now the wasteland it is today.
Vorbyx arrives and establishes his ogre kingdom of thar. He attracts all the ogres from marams armies as well as several demon/ogres from the hidden vale (bred by the feyri and all kindred of storm the ogre).

The ogre kingdom strikes down its neighbour of northkeep using dragons (bought from iyrauroth). It unfortunately cannot afford the upkeep of iyrauroths payments so he destroys the ogre kingdom with an army (iyrauroth practices blood magic so he breeds powerful bloodlines to create races of supermen).

Ologh founds the orc kingdom of thar for iyrauroth and with his blood claim to the throne of vastar and thar he conquers all the orcs from thar to the vast. Iyrauroth then arrives to claim his payment from ologh but ologh refuses and we have a big battle and i think that is where the orc kingdom of thar ends.

Thats my brief outline of thar. Im still working on small details and when i finish with the old empires i might do thar (or moonshaes, or damara/vaasa).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1498 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2018 :  21:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Thats probably a very simplistic view of Iyrauroths actions. He is known to have orcish descendants so he probably had his own army of draconic orc soldiers, and he may or may not have orchestrated the downfall of the kingdom of Vastar in the Vast by prompting the dwarves to exterminate them. He definitely moved into Mount Grimmerfang some point after the kingdom of Vastar ended.

Where is this from?

I'm especially interested if there is a canon source that mentions orcish descendants of Iyrauroth.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4014 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2018 :  21:48:45  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ologh is mentioned as the blood of Iyrauroth in one quote (although I cannot recall the source).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1498 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2018 :  23:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Ologh is mentioned as the blood of Iyrauroth in one quote (although I cannot recall the source).

I cannot find anything with Google, except the article in Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions.

As my adventure is all about bloodlines, true heirs and modern claimants to ancient crowns, I'm very interested in more canon on Ologh.

So far, I've found that he was the Overking of Vastar until he died in the jaws of Iyrauroth in the Hollow Mountain in 572 DR, he was described as a 'monstrous' orc, he carried the Blazing Banner of Ologh into battle and he was Lawful in alignment.

Unfortunately, I don't have Dungeon #69, so I don't know if there are any more details on Ologh in the article, 'Sleep of Ages' where the Blazing Banner is mentioned.

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5161 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2018 :  11:37:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are no further details in Dungeon #69.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1498 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2018 :  12:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Thank you.

Are you aware of any suggestion, by yourself, Ed Greenwood or any other designer, that Ologh might have been dragon-blooded or with any other non-orcish blood?

Or that he had any connection with Iyrauroth prior to meeting death in his jaws?

Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4014 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2018 :  19:43:10  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another source I missed, I'll go and check that out now.

And it appears I made up the ologh Iyrauroth connection.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2018 :  19:52:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted a new map snippet - not sure if it includes the stuff from that article. Its also FAR from finished, obviously. This was mostly done for layout purposes for adjoining areas.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5161 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2018 :  03:31:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Thank you.

Are you aware of any suggestion, by yourself, Ed Greenwood or any other designer, that Ologh might have been dragon-blooded or with any other non-orcish blood?

Or that he had any connection with Iyrauroth prior to meeting death in his jaws?

No, can't see any reference to that in the sources.

It likely came from the feverish imagination of dazzlerdal!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4014 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2018 :  08:00:19  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I was particularly feverish when I made that up but the basis for the claim was Vorbyxs hammer which it is said only Vorbyx could wield, however other ogres have wielded it and so I decided on a familial connection. I realise the claim could be propaganda but that's fine, both can be true.
Then the orcs of Thar will also follow anyone who can wield the hammer so I figured it must have at one point been important to them as well do I figured why not have the founder of the orc kingdom wield it and even better make him the blood of Vorbyx and it tied in nicely to the bloodline magic I wanted to develop at the time so I ran with it.

The implication is there it's just not stated in black and white, although I often find the best realmslore is present by implication rather than statements of fact.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page