Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 49

Balfrin
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  11:17:58  Show Profile Send Balfrin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,
this adventure sounds great! And Azazel is the most intriguing devil among the outcasts. The other devils seem to take great care to prevent him to get in contact with the material plane.

Is there an ETA for "Dragonspear Rift"?

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Because I wrote a whole adventure set in Dragonspear Castle involving Azazel. It's called "Dragonspear Rift: Unto the Breach."

Haven't released it yet.

:-)

--Eric

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1745 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  02:54:14  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really. A friend is working on a 5e conversion. There's a couple of maps that are hand-drawn that need a mapmaker.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Balfrin

Hi Eric,
this adventure sounds great! And Azazel is the most intriguing devil among the outcasts. The other devils seem to take great care to prevent him to get in contact with the material plane.

Is there an ETA for "Dragonspear Rift"?

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Because I wrote a whole adventure set in Dragonspear Castle involving Azazel. It's called "Dragonspear Rift: Unto the Breach."

Haven't released it yet.

:-)

--Eric




--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Grumpy Hamatula
Seeker

22 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  21:59:05  Show Profile Send Grumpy Hamatula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the reply! I'll be very interested to see it when it comes out!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2020 :  20:40:10  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Howdy Eric, I was wondering if you could perhaps clarify something for me. In Faiths and Pantheons, you mention that the Talfir pantheon was based along banks of the River Reaching. The map in the GHOtRs on page 44 shows that the Talfir Tribes were in the southern part of Sunset Vale. Do you consider the River Reaching location as the "heart of the Talfir Pantheon" because that is where Talis was located? If it had been built due to a prophecy, I could see how the city was considered a holy city for the Talfir and could be considered to be the "heart" of their culture.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2020 :  19:29:06  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

For what it's worth, my Daggerford lineage is as follows:

Pwyll (b. 1332) reigns from 1356-1385
Derander (b. 1357) reigns from 1385-1430 (son and sole heir of Pwyll)
Harcondyl (b.1393) reigns from 1430-1478 (second son of Derander)
Maldwyn (b.1424) reigns from 1478

-- George Krashos



Where do you get Pwyll's death date from? The FR wiki lists it as 1372 DR citing a date given by a video game.

--Zoomable Map of Faerun--
Go to Top of Page

Irrevrykal
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2020 :  22:40:01  Show Profile Send Irrevrykal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Where do you get Pwyll's death date from? The FR wiki lists it as 1372 DR citing a date given by a video game.


I added that to the wiki, but I may be in error.

The module Darkness Over Daggerford is set in 1372 DR, and opens with Pwyll's apparent death in a hunting accident. I haven't finished the module yet, but have reason to believe Pwyll ends up alive again at the end. I'll revise the relevant article once I know for sure.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5954 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  15:55:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perlmugp

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

For what it's worth, my Daggerford lineage is as follows:

Pwyll (b. 1332) reigns from 1356-1385
Derander (b. 1357) reigns from 1385-1430 (son and sole heir of Pwyll)
Harcondyl (b.1393) reigns from 1430-1478 (second son of Derander)
Maldwyn (b.1424) reigns from 1478

-- George Krashos



Where do you get Pwyll's death date from? The FR wiki lists it as 1372 DR citing a date given by a video game.



FR computer games are not canon material unless their events are subsequently picked up in a published Realms gaming product or fiction. I went with 1385 DR because the Spellplague seemed like an event that might cause the death of a few people. My date isn't canon either so feel free to use whatever you want.

I can however assure you that having "Baron Matagar Bugo" succeed Pwyll is an absolute abomination. Just saying.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 08 May 2020 15:59:48
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9494 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2020 :  16:00:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric,

Did you ever do anything with the Unicorn Blade that in life was carried by the green elf prince of Phalorm, Abadda Moonglamaer "the Unicorn Prince" (a ranger/cleric of Corellon Larethian in life)? I assume you created the item reference itself. Its from Dungeon #73 page 46, wherein it reveals that Abadda was slain by drowning in the creation of the Mere of Dead Men, and later arising as a Curst. Later he reveals the location of the blade to Chardansearavitriol (a black dragon also known as Ebondeath who eventually becomes a dracolich that later becomes a ghost like entity) in exchange for knowledge of how to permanently die, but is betrayed by Ebondeath. Later apparently some Myrkulite priests take the Unicorn Blade elsewhere but that's unrevealed.

Basically, I was thinking about having this have been a quest that the Knights of the Unicorn, under the leadership of Javalar Roaringhorn, might pursue following the events of the night of Myrkul's Eye. Maybe they're drawn to it by a vision sent by Lurue. That being said, I know you've been heavily involved with doing things with Phalorm and that region in general. If you had any notes about the blade (such as what its powers are, why its called the unicorn blade, where it went, its history, etc...), it would be appreciated, and if you're using it for something I'll just drop it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1745 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2020 :  16:52:40  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hey Eric,

Did you ever do anything with the Unicorn Blade that in life was carried by the green elf prince of Phalorm, Abadda Moonglamaer "the Unicorn Prince" (a ranger/cleric of Corellon Larethian in life)? I assume you created the item reference itself. Its from Dungeon #73 page 46, wherein it reveals that Abadda was slain by drowning in the creation of the Mere of Dead Men, and later arising as a Curst. Later he reveals the location of the blade to Chardansearavitriol (a black dragon also known as Ebondeath who eventually becomes a dracolich that later becomes a ghost like entity) in exchange for knowledge of how to permanently die, but is betrayed by Ebondeath. Later apparently some Myrkulite priests take the Unicorn Blade elsewhere but that's unrevealed.

Basically, I was thinking about having this have been a quest that the Knights of the Unicorn, under the leadership of Javalar Roaringhorn, might pursue following the events of the night of Myrkul's Eye. Maybe they're drawn to it by a vision sent by Lurue. That being said, I know you've been heavily involved with doing things with Phalorm and that region in general. If you had any notes about the blade (such as what its powers are, why its called the unicorn blade, where it went, its history, etc...), it would be appreciated, and if you're using it for something I'll just drop it.



The original reference is Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, page 216. (It's hard to find by searching PDFs because "Unicorn" is hyphenated across two lines.)

I have used it for something I haven't released yet. PM me for details.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9494 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2020 :  17:52:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hey Eric,

Did you ever do anything with the Unicorn Blade that in life was carried by the green elf prince of Phalorm, Abadda Moonglamaer "the Unicorn Prince" (a ranger/cleric of Corellon Larethian in life)? I assume you created the item reference itself. Its from Dungeon #73 page 46, wherein it reveals that Abadda was slain by drowning in the creation of the Mere of Dead Men, and later arising as a Curst. Later he reveals the location of the blade to Chardansearavitriol (a black dragon also known as Ebondeath who eventually becomes a dracolich that later becomes a ghost like entity) in exchange for knowledge of how to permanently die, but is betrayed by Ebondeath. Later apparently some Myrkulite priests take the Unicorn Blade elsewhere but that's unrevealed.

Basically, I was thinking about having this have been a quest that the Knights of the Unicorn, under the leadership of Javalar Roaringhorn, might pursue following the events of the night of Myrkul's Eye. Maybe they're drawn to it by a vision sent by Lurue. That being said, I know you've been heavily involved with doing things with Phalorm and that region in general. If you had any notes about the blade (such as what its powers are, why its called the unicorn blade, where it went, its history, etc...), it would be appreciated, and if you're using it for something I'll just drop it.



The original reference is Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, page 216. (It's hard to find by searching PDFs because "Unicorn" is hyphenated across two lines.)

I have used it for something I haven't released yet. PM me for details.

--Eric



Ah, I do see you were using it in "Under Ilefarn Anew" with references to the original stuff in the Volo's Guide. You didn't give any details of its location, but you had some people searching for it. Not sure what you're doing with it, but interested, and won't link it to what I was doing. I believe Under Ilefarn Anew is pre-spellplague, but it occurs to me that it might be interesting if the blade went to Abeir over the last century while people may have been searching for it. Actually that could be a good mechanic to use for all kinds of similar hijinx and not just this.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

PaydenKP
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  09:44:05  Show Profile Send PaydenKP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

I had a fairly simple question. Is the origin of Valkur's name a play on Valkyrie in Powers & Pantheons for 2E AD&D?

Looking, the etymology for the word "Valkur" is Hungarian for Valkyrie, so I thought that might be it.

Thanks,
Payden.

Edited by - PaydenKP on 25 Jun 2020 08:16:14
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2020 :  02:19:22  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will, of course, defer to Eric, but I think Valkur was a creation of Ed's and not Eric's, though given Ed's insatiable reading and world detailing, I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9494 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  14:40:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd personally be surprised if that were the source of the name, given that Valkyries have little to do with boats, sailing, and other nautical matters. I'd probably just equate it to him looking for a "strong" sounding name that might sound a bit like a Viking raider's name. I would be interested though if Ed does have any origins for any of his god's names where he equated them to some deity in another mythology. I'll admit, with the advent of the internet, my knowledge of other mythologies has increased tenfold from what I would have known when I was in my late teens and early 20's. My extent of knowledge of a lot of the Asian/Arabian/African/South American mythologies was pretty much non-existent, and even my knowledge of American Indian mythology consisted of little more than what I knew of from tv (and that would have been twisted by the tv writers who knew little more themselves).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1745 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  17:48:14  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't make up the name "Valkur." If I remember correctly (and I might be forgetting a reference), Valkur first in the 1e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting: Cyclopedia of the Realms, page 17. Valkur was not mentioned in Dragon #54.

I would say it's possible he's a Jeff Grubb creation (like Waukeen), as Jeff filled in parts of the pantheon he felt were missing.

--Eric


--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

PaydenKP
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2020 :  04:08:00  Show Profile Send PaydenKP a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the response Eric.

After searching, Jeff Grubb let me know via Email he was uncertain, so I tweeted Ed Greenwood. It seems it was a personal creation of his to honor his PC in a Campaign he was in, and the DM of said Campaign. Posting here for others seeking such information.

quote:
@TheEdVerse Hi, I have been researching Valkur, and was curious of the origin of his name. Do you happen to know it's origin? The other sages, Eric Boyd & Jeff Grubb did not know. Valkur happens to be Hungarian for Valkyrie, and am now curious of any connection there. Thanks.

quote:
Back in the 1970s, when playing D&D with September as my DM, I created Vulkur, a Breckenridge Elkins-like amiable meat-mountain barbarian, bewildered by civilized ways but a faithful sword-brother to his adventuring companions.

After September died, we ended that campaign by imagining all of our PCs literally sailing off to new adventures (offstage). One fellow player joked that Vulkur likely drowned, when his ship sank in a fierce storm at sea.

I did NOT want that fate, so I imagined he sailed into the Realms, across the planes, and a deity there saw his ship safely to a far shore. That deity I named “Valkur” as an echo of Vulkur, and in memory of dear September.


Source: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1279476627228037121
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9494 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2020 :  19:10:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, this question is for Eric and George both, and I'll accept answers from either (or Steven or Ed, etc...). In the U.S. and in most states, there's a "motto" for each state/country (for instance, "In God We Trust". We similar with the Game of Thrones where certain families have a certain saying assigned to them. We do see this with some religions of the realms too (which is why I thought I'd put this to Eric). I'm mostly interested in Impiltur, but for ANY countries or city states of the realms, are there any canon "mottos" that might be said to be in relation to said country such that they might appear on coinage, flags, or anything similar, and if so what are they? What would you personally say might be some non-canon mottos for any given countries (again, I'm most interested in Impiltur, as I'm inclined to make a 3d model of their flag for fun).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5954 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  03:58:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say I've ever really thought about this, and not sure I want to do this for Impiltur. It's not a universal thing in the modern world (Australia doesn't have a motto, for example) and "In God We Trust" has only been around since 1956 (I reckon its predecessor "E pluribus unum" is a way better motto for the USA but what do I know ...). My initial reaction is that I don't think I'm a fan of the concept, but interested to hear what you come up with.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Senior Scribe

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  04:30:23  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Proskur: "If the coins are there, we do not care."
Harbuckler: "You got the cash, we'll hold your stash."

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Seeker

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2020 :  07:06:36  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Eric,

Do you know in which month of 1373 that Iryklathagra destroyed the Palace Ward of Calimport?
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Seeker

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2020 :  16:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have another dragon question. Were the lung dragons of Kara-Tur affected by the dracorage? Or were they immune to that?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9494 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2020 :  21:55:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now THAT is a damn good question about the lung dragons (might not be for Eric to answer mind you). My suspicion is they were immune, but I'd be interested if anyone has an answer to that without having WotC or Ed chime in.

As a follow up to that, since you made me think about it, were faerie dragons affected by the dracorage?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Seeker

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2020 :  23:38:58  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Now THAT is a damn good question about the lung dragons (might not be for Eric to answer mind you). My suspicion is they were immune, but I'd be interested if anyone has an answer to that without having WotC or Ed chime in.

As a follow up to that, since you made me think about it, were faerie dragons affected by the dracorage?



Dragons of Faer#251;n clearly defines the rage as affecting anything with either the Dragon type or the Dragonblood subtype, so even kobolds were affected by the rages, by that definition, and lungs would be also. However, DoF also says that the rages were "local" and only ever mentions the continent of Faer#251;n, which means that it is possible that the lungs were spared simply because of where they live.

So, yeah, faerie dragons got it too, at least according to DoF. :(

Back to my original question, my other thought is that lungs are "pseudo-spirits" in the Kara-Turran sense. All of them can plane shift at will to the spirit realm of the Celestial Empire where most of them are employed. The lungs are the administrative branch of the gods, essentially. So, even if they were affected by the rage, I'd imagine that they could simply shift into the spirit realm and avoid any practical effects from it.

In any case, I am still curious for an official answer beyond the above information that I dug up.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  17:01:27  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lung dragons would have been affected, but as you suggest, they likely would have plane shifted away to avoid the impact of the Dracorage.
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  00:17:13  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
Dragon #336 (October)
The Unseen (Eric Boyd) (scheduled, but not a sure thing)

Obviously not. Curious if this was ever written-up and if so did it ever make it into anything else? Or is it now and forever [Edvoice] NDA PAID PROPERTY OF PAIZO [/Edvoice]?


AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
126 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  19:17:31  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Eric.

I really liked the Polyhedron article you wrote on Llurth Dreier, which is a wondrously strange and alien drow city, quite distinct from any other, and I was wondering if you could possibly elaborate a little bit on on the relationship between the Ghaundaurite drow and the aboleth overlords in that city. Are all of the drow there mentally subjugated by the aboleths or only parts of it's society (e.g. the commoners or the slaves, etc.), and how powerful is the aboleth's hold over them? Are there also many drow there who work with them out of their own volition and interest, rather than through mental coercion? And are there possibly those who plot against them?

Edited by - deserk on 15 Sep 2020 19:17:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 49 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000