Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2023 :  14:43:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar
There are solid reasons as to "why" that perception persists. In most D&D core rulebooks, Elves are listed as Chaotic Good; there hasn't been a single Forgotten Realms campaign setting book or box set that has gone out of its way to blatantly refute this moral/ethical description as it applies to Corellon's offspring in The Realms.

You might want to read "Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves" a bit more closely.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2023 :  08:05:30  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
There are solid reasons as to "why" that perception persists. In most D&D core rulebooks, Elves are listed as Chaotic Good; there hasn't been a single Forgotten Realms campaign setting book or box set that has gone out of its way to blatantly refute this moral/ethical description as it applies to Corellon's offspring in The Realms.

You might want to read "Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves" a bit more closely.

-- George Krashos

I have*, but most players - hell, most DMs - don't get in that deep. By "campaign setting book or box set", I was referring to the primers which cover The Realms as a whole...touching on multiple regions (such as the 3e FRCS hardcover). That aside, I'm not sure where or even if we ought to continue this conversation; I dislike hijacking a thread with a broader purpose.

*Once through, from cover to cover. It is occasionally revisited for inspiration, however.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

117 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2023 :  23:30:41  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I was going over Baelam the Bold (City of Splendors, Waterdeep: p. 120-121). In an earlier book, Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor inside the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, he's stated to be 31 years old in the apparent year of 1356. However, the default date of 2e was 1368 DR, and he was also present in Dragon 172. While a later source overrules a previous source, CGtMD is not explicitly set in 1356.

If he is taken to be 31 years old by 1368 DR, that makes him out to be 5 years old in 1342 DR, when he slays his master's assassins. I think it's more reasonable to say he's 31 years old in 1356, so he'd be 17 years old by 1342, which is in line with many a player character's age. It seems like a foregone conclusion to me, but just to stay on the safe side, I thought I should check in. Was that bit in City of Splendors written under the consideration he was 31 years old in 1356, rather than in 1368?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2024 :  22:20:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My intent was to go with the 1325 DR birth year for Baelam the Bold.

While the general rule is that you go with the newer source, when it's Ed writing it and when they copied 1e material verbatim into a 2e source without updating it, my rule of thumb is to go with the older source.

Given such confusion, I now avoid writing ages and always write birth years. Keeps it much simpler for the DM who might be running the campaign in any given year.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2024 :  09:25:30  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Boyd, I have a question pertaining to Demihuman Deities. Generally speaking, with the exceptions of Fenmarel Mestarine (the loner) and Shevarash (the avenger), how open are the various Elven religions to the possibility of outsiders witnessing their ceremonies?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2024 :  10:57:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess is probably about as interested as the Fair Folk are in having non-elves visit Evermeet.

By that I mean, very resistant, with the exception of certain elf-friends like Mirt, the Seven Sisters, Elminster, and senior Harpers.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2024 :  00:28:53  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

My guess is probably about as interested as the Fair Folk are in having non-elves visit Evermeet.

By that I mean, very resistant, with the exception of certain elf-friends like Mirt, the Seven Sisters, Elminster, and senior Harpers.

--Eric

Essentially, Player Characters will need to perform a rather substantial favor for Corellon's children before they are granted the privilege? Much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2024 :  01:46:38  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

--Eric

Essentially, Player Characters will need to perform a rather substantial favor for Corellon's children before they are granted the privilege? Much appreciated.

Exactly. And "substantial" is probably on par with rescue a small kingdom of elves.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 27 Feb 2024 01:47:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2024 :  22:40:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had an NPC that became an elf-friend and was welcome to Evermeet because he was part of a group (the others were elves) that found a legendary magic staff and returned it to Evermeet. The staff allowed High Magic to be cast without penalty outside of Evermeet.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2024 :  23:19:07  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great example.

--
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2024 :  21:38:24  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric i had a question for you i was just thinking about, do you think there could still be some secrets left behind undiscovered in myth glaurach that were never found by the elves during the last mythal series? and would you have any examples of some if there is any secrets still left?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2024 :  21:59:25  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kysus

Hey Eric i had a question for you i was just thinking about, do you think there could still be some secrets left behind undiscovered in myth glaurach that were never found by the elves during the last mythal series? and would you have any examples of some if there is any secrets still left?

Of course there are secrets!

For example, there is a lost folio penned by Teshyll the Aged recording his notes from speaking with Arun's Son about the fate of the lost city of Myth Adofhaer.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2024 :  00:32:22  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh thats really cool, that name Teshyll the aged seems familiar are they in your write up for the myth glaurach online article, was there anymore information on who Teshyll the aged was, were they any elf noble of some sought or a really powerful human caster that was respected by the elves? Im also curious about what Teshyll and Arun's son thoughts were on the fate of that city.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000