Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2022 :  01:38:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Eric, I hate to keep bugging you but could I get a bit of a clarification? If you look at the map of Netheril on page 34 of GHotR, the location for Feloarhode would be the most southern portion of the Channel Mountains, southeast of Quagmire, possibly near the head waters of the east branch of the Watercourse river?

Sorry I missed your question.

Channel Mountains, east of the Nugatory and the Two Rivers on the Netheril boxed set map.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2022 :  17:23:33  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Eric, I hate to keep bugging you but could I get a bit of a clarification? If you look at the map of Netheril on page 34 of GHotR, the location for Feloarhode would be the most southern portion of the Channel Mountains, southeast of Quagmire, possibly near the head waters of the east branch of the Watercourse river?

Sorry I missed your question.

Channel Mountains, east of the Nugatory and the Two Rivers on the Netheril boxed set map.

--Eric

That is what I thought but not what I had hoped for. On that same Netheril map, where would you place the present-day Shadow Sea? That would be an important location for the history of the gnomes since it is the first recorded interaction between kobolds and gnomes. Of course, the story may be just that and the reason the kobolds and gnomes hate each other so much is that they both fill basically the same ecological/societal slot. That COULD mean there are worlds out there without gnomes where you have kobolds as the crazed inventors/artificers.

Edit: Fixed grammar.

Second Edit: NVM, I found it. Thank you for the clarification.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 10 Oct 2022 14:48:36
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2022 :  14:56:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was the Hidden Valley, which once housed the Hidden Lake and the Hidden Forest, the geography looks similar. Plus if you imagine a huge mountain collapsing, thats kind of what i expect would happen, a huge sunken depression (that fills with water) with mountains / hills around the outside.

Interestingly enough its yet another creation myth revolving around a large mountain that birthed creatures (like the Earthmother, and Othea, and the Yehimals). Can it still be classed as a myth if it is used again and again in separate locations by different races?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2022 :  22:13:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Interestingly enough its yet another creation myth revolving around a large mountain that birthed creatures (like the Earthmother, and Othea, and the Yehimals). Can it still be classed as a myth if it is used again and again in separate locations by different races?

It works for floods in the RW.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2022 :  22:21:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Second Edit: NVM, I found it. Thank you for the clarification.

Not sure which you found, but for the record:

The Shadow Sea (FRCS - 3e map, and Anauroch: Empire of Shade, page 131) is the same location as the Shoal of Thirst (FR13 - Anauroch foldout map) which in turn is the same location as the Hidden Lake (Netheril boxed set fold-out map).

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2022 :  01:19:33  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric I was wondering what your thoughts might be on a specific detail in the seven citadels war, would any of the houses of Siluvanede that got corrupted by the Dlardrageths have had high mages during that war in their service and if so what would have happened to them at the end of that war? it was a thought that came to my mind while working on an adventure for my group and my curiosity got the better of me to not ask. Also thank you for the last reply, that is interesting to know that myth glaurach was ruled by a council, when reading your article for the mintipers chapbook i get the impression that Tisharu Craulnober had some sort of leadership role there.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2022 :  11:19:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm intrigued as to how much Eric might choose to reveal ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2022 :  17:03:46  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG! now you have me eager in anticipation lol. There is a line in the lost empires of faerun that could be read in a certain way that would lead one to believe that were corrupted high mages in that war, but I wasn't sure if i was just reading to much into it.
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2023 :  11:54:48  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick question, I was looking at Marune in City of Splendors, where he is revealed to possess Andrathath's Mask. I noticed he's NE, but in previous editions, the wearer of the mask must become Chaotic after a year. Given he's had a hundred of those, does that mean the 3e writeup of the mask has a different drawback or has a different effect of the mask been revealed? Given Marune was CE in previous editions, it seems to suggest either a typo or a reimagining of the mask's functions.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2023 :  13:51:57  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Archmage Karsus

Quick question, I was looking at Marune in City of Splendors, where he is revealed to possess Andrathath's Mask. I noticed he's NE, but in previous editions, the wearer of the mask must become Chaotic after a year. Given he's had a hundred of those, does that mean the 3e writeup of the mask has a different drawback or has a different effect of the mask been revealed? Given Marune was CE in previous editions, it seems to suggest either a typo or a reimagining of the mask's functions.

In my turnover, he was CE. I'm going to blame it on a typo in editing.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2023 :  21:58:44  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2023 :  09:10:05  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kysus

Eric I was wondering what your thoughts might be on a specific detail in the seven citadels war, would any of the houses of Siluvanede that got corrupted by the Dlardrageths have had high mages during that war in their service and if so what would have happened to them at the end of that war?

Judging by what I've read of elven high magic..
I'd assume they died casting something they believed would make a difference. I'd love for more info but I'd bet money that's the response that'd come XD "Why are there like no high elven mages oh they did the thing high elven mages do." It seems like dying casting magic comes with the title. I'd find it hard to imagine an elven high mage dying of anything other than their own will or high magic spells cast by rivals- which would also be powered by the death of that rival..

Here's hoping for that response.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 26 Jan 2023 09:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2023 :  18:02:22  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,
I have a few 'Red Enclave in Waterdeep' questions.

1- How did Thay convinced the Lords to welcome an enclave?
2- Why did the city approuved it, knowing the Red Wizards probably wanted to be in the city for some dark and gloomy reasons?
3- How does illicit goods are sold if agents of the Lords are checking the deals conducted in Skullport?

Thanks a lot :)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2023 :  07:26:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Hi Eric,
I have a few 'Red Enclave in Waterdeep' questions.

1- How did Thay convinced the Lords to welcome an enclave?
2- Why did the city approuved it, knowing the Red Wizards probably wanted to be in the city for some dark and gloomy reasons?
3- How does illicit goods are sold if agents of the Lords are checking the deals conducted in Skullport?

Thanks a lot :)

You need to read the 3E book "City of Splendors: Waterdeep", pgs.26-27.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2023 :  07:33:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

OMG! now you have me eager in anticipation lol. There is a line in the lost empires of faerun that could be read in a certain way that would lead one to believe that were corrupted high mages in that war, but I wasn't sure if i was just reading to much into it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "corrupted" High Mages, but to be clear there is no correlation between High Magic and being "good". Elvish history has seen plenty of evil, neutral, petty, amoral, uncaring High Mages.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2023 :  15:43:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "corrupted" High Mages, but to be clear there is no correlation between High Magic and being "good". Elvish history has seen plenty of evil, neutral, petty, amoral, uncaring High Mages.

-- George Krashos

Wait .... you mean creating a tidal wave to clear the land of humans isn't a good act?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2023 :  16:05:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a suggestion, but if you create names for previously unknown high mages, perhaps riff the names from current WoTC and hasbro executives.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2023 :  16:16:05  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Wait .... you mean creating a tidal wave to clear the land of humans isn't a good act?

I put them right there with Lex Luthor. They decided at one point they wanted their own little island and it didn't matter what it did to the rest of the world. So, either they are inherently evil or they are incompetent at a staggering level and have no business working ANY kind of magic much less High Magic.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2023 :  21:06:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I put them right there with Lex Luthor. They decided at one point they wanted their own little island and it didn't matter what it did to the rest of the world. So, either they are inherently evil or they are incompetent at a staggering level and have no business working ANY kind of magic much less High Magic.

I'd not call them evil or incompetent, here. You don't get to be a High Mage by being incompetent, and there's nothing evil about wanting a peaceful home where you don't have to worry about neighbors taking your stuff.

I would say they were shortsighted, in not seeing the potential side-effects. Or perhaps they had planned for the side-effects, but some unknown factor was at play and things got out of hand.

I think we've all seen otherwise smart people make some really stupid mistakes. Once, in high school, I watched this dude who was very, very book-smart take all the weights off of one side of a barbell, without touching the other. He was very lucky that it didn't clock him in the head as it rotated up and fell to the floor. Smart guy, dumb mistake, and something he should have seen coming if he'd stopped and thought about it.

I think that's what happened with Evermeet: the mages simply didn't take enough time to consider what they were doing.

Saying they were shortsighted or made a mistake doesn't forgive them the death and destruction that was caused -- I'm just reluctant to assume the worst, when there are reasonable alternatives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2023 :  23:02:54  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, how about this? A human made a mistake that killed thousands (Karsus) and the first thing that Mystra did was to block that spell from happening again and then changed things so that she would have to approve for any spell near that power level to be cast. What did Corellon do? Not a darn thing. I haven't heard of High Mages getting a talking to or even a time out. Did they stop using High Magic because they realized that maybe they shouldn't wield that kind of power? Did Corellon put any kind of guiderails on High Magic? Nope. He is an absentee dad allowing his kids to play with dynamite and not caring who or what is affected. And his kids, who are supposed to be smart enough to know to be extremely careful, keep blowing up the neighbor's cat/car/house.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2023 :  23:18:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we can all agree that if I wield High Magic and I want a safe place for my family and kids to live, that's reasonable. Even if I do it by exterminating all the native intelligent life on the planet. That's not really my fault.

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2023 :  23:52:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, how about this? A human made a mistake that killed thousands (Karsus) and the first thing that Mystra did was to block that spell from happening again and then changed things so that she would have to approve for any spell near that power level to be cast. What did Corellon do? Not a darn thing. I haven't heard of High Mages getting a talking to or even a time out. Did they stop using High Magic because they realized that maybe they shouldn't wield that kind of power? Did Corellon put any kind of guiderails on High Magic? Nope. He is an absentee dad allowing his kids to play with dynamite and not caring who or what is affected. And his kids, who are supposed to be smart enough to know to be extremely careful, keep blowing up the neighbor's cat/car/house.

Just because we don't know it happened doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Also, Mystra 1.0 took those actions because Ao told her to do so. That information comes directly from Ed.

quote:
@TheEdVerse

Ao cut off access through the Weave to spells above a certain power level (9th level in Torilian arcane magic terms) after the Folly of Karsus the over-reaching mortal. This means that more powerful spells fail upon casting when they access the Weave; it doesn’t matter who casts them (so the spells of gods, archdevils, demon princes would fail, when cast into Realmspace, out of Realmspace, or within Realmspace).

IF those spells use the Weave.

There are rituals and magic systems that don’t use the Weave, but the archmagi, covens of witches or hags, cabals of warlocks, and so on DO use the Weave in their rituals. Like the transplanted-to-Abeir wizards of Toril I mentioned in my earlier lore reply, such individuals would have to learn, or invent, an entire new system of magic to circumvent the Weave, and this would be hard for them without an expert tutor, because what they’re used to, which influences how they’d experiment and innovate, IS using the Weave; they’d have to go against all instinct and learned behavior. Like one of us getting behind the wheel of a vehicle and overcoming our learned tendencies to steer with the steering wheel and accelerate or brake using the pedals...because this new vehicle steers with taps of the peddles and accelerates or brakes by turning the wheel.

Do-able, but I anticipate many spectacular crashes.
#Realmslore

@Greysil_Tassyr

Wait -- *AO* is the one that banned those spells? So Mystra's Ban, as we've known it for so long, was actually Ao's ban?

@TheEdVerse

Yes. We know it in the Realms as Mystra's Ban because of priestly teachings (propaganda). "Regular folk" know nothing of Ao, but everyone knows about the goddess of magic.

At the time the Ban was enacted, Mystryl was in no condition to ban anything, and Mystra didn't exist yet.
#Realmslore

It's entirely like that since Mystra controls the Weave, Corellon couldn't do anything other than shake his finger angrily at the nearest High Mages... And given that they only cast that spell one time, it's likely that a prohibition is in place. Sure, they've cast other spells and caused mass destruction, but nothing on the same scale.

Also, your example only shows that the High Mages remained an arrogant bunch. It doesn't prove incompetence or evil -- just that later groups said "We won't make the same mistakes" and then made similar mistakes.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2023 :  23:54:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think we can all agree that if I wield High Magic and I want a safe place for my family and kids to live, that's reasonable. Even if I do it by exterminating all the native intelligent life on the planet. That's not really my fault.

Elves have proven capable of killing others, when so inclined. I think if they wanted to scour the planet -- or even the continent -- they could have. All they'd need is to let a few Killing Storms go wandering about, and problems with neighbors would disappear.

Heck, if orcs and goblins could come up with witchlight marauders, I'm sure the elves would be able to come up with something like that if they wanted to.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Feb 2023 23:55:20
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2023 :  01:51:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love how we all lapse into looking at elves through a Tolkien-esque LoTR lens. Good and noble, helping humans and dwarves and hobbits, etc. etc. The elves of Faerûn are the elves of the Silmarillion: some good, some bad, some in between, some welcoming, some xenophobic ... just like long-lived humans, really. In real terms, elves were pretty much the apex predator of the Realms at the height of their civilisation and very comfortably enjoyed their superiority in magic, tech and resources. They did things for themselves, and didn't care too much about the other races. It was only when their power dwindled that you saw them entering into alliances with dwarves and humans. Pride cometh and all that.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 Feb 2023 01:53:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2023 :  03:24:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I love how we all lapse into looking at elves through a Tolkien-esque LoTR lens. Good and noble, helping humans and dwarves and hobbits, etc. etc. The elves of Faerûn are the elves of the Silmarillion: some good, some bad, some in between, some welcoming, some xenophobic ... just like long-lived humans, really. In real terms, elves were pretty much the apex predator of the Realms at the height of their civilisation and very comfortably enjoyed their superiority in magic, tech and resources. They did things for themselves, and didn't care too much about the other races. It was only when their power dwindled that you saw them entering into alliances with dwarves and humans. Pride cometh and all that.

-- George Krashos

One of my fave evil groups is the Eldreth Veluuthra.

It took me a while to get away from the "always good" elven thing... But I'm not arguing, here, that elves are always good. I'm just saying stupid and evil are not the same thing.

Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2023 :  03:25:54  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry i was using the word corrupted and tainted interchangeably. In lost empires of faerun pg 84. under the year -4300 it states " upon discovering the deceit of the Fey'ri, untainted Siluvanedenn high mages place the city of myth Adofhaer in magical stasis," etc etc. this line leads me to believe that in the seven citadels war there was tainted high mages probably from the houses that bred to make the fey'ri and either new about the whole house Dlardrageth plans or just approved of using magic from ancient magic from the crown wars and that there was high mages from the other houses in silvanede that new nothing of what was going on. So i was wondering with that line making a distinction between the two high mages of that realm what happened to the tainted high mages, did they all die fighting in that war or did the kingdom pursue a purge of the high mage ranks after the discovery of the fey'ri and what those houses did. I guess on the flip side i could be reading into this all wrong but was just curious as i had some cool ideas for my game that im running involving a elven safehold from this time period that belonged to a small circle of Siluvanedenn high mages that all got wiped out in the war and the players finding some of their journals and less than savory experiments that they performed as they sort to find a way to win the war that they were losing.
also with where this is going i never believed that there were just good high mages ive always just seen things as verying shades of gray, george i do agree with everything you said on that that elves come in every stripe, as for the rest of the conversation i will leave myself out of it as some of the stuff being said just gets me irritated to much and doesnt help me with progressing my story.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2023 :  03:38:15  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I would take a slightly different direction from what George has. They were sociopaths who cared only about themselves. They felt that they could essentially "nuke" anyone they wanted, any time they wanted, with impunity and the only reason that stopped is that other groups gained the power to be able to "nuke" 'em back. The discovery of the Nether Scrolls is really the defining moment that allowed there to be a check on the elves' ability to destroy anyone at any time for any reason.

However, I would like to say that the current elven civilization has progressed to not be as ruthlessly self-centered as they were. They have learned that the working with other groups really does make better sense than how they used to approach things in the past. That the many working together makes the whole much stronger.

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 03 Feb 2023 05:37:35
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2023 :  03:47:23  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry i was using the word corrupted and tainted interchangeably. In lost empires of faerun pg 84. under the year -4300 it states " upon discovering the deceit of the Fey'ri, untainted Siluvanedenn high mages place the city of myth Adofhaer in magical stasis," etc etc. this line leads me to believe that in the seven citadels war there was tainted high mages probably from the houses that bred to make the fey'ri and either new about the whole house Dlardrageth plans or just approved of using magic from ancient magic from the crown wars and that there was high mages from the other houses in silvanede that new nothing of what was going on. So i was wondering with that line making a distinction between the two high mages of that realm what happened to the tainted high mages, did they all die fighting in that war or did the kingdom pursue a purge of the high mage ranks after the discovery of the fey'ri and what those houses did. I guess on the flip side i could be reading into this all wrong but was just curious as i had some cool ideas for my game that im running involving a elven safehold from this time period that belonged to a small circle of Siluvanedenn high mages that all got wiped out in the war and the players finding some of their journals and less than savory experiments that they performed as they sort to find a way to win the war that they were losing.
also with where this is going i never believed that there were just good high mages ive always just seen things as verying shades of gray, george i do agree with everything you said on that that elves come in every stripe, as for the rest of the conversation i will leave myself out of it as some of the stuff being said just gets me irritated to much and doesnt help me with progressing my story.

Might I suggest you include those journals you mentioned? That could lead to a visit from elves from a group whose purpose is to keep the elves' "dirty laundry" out of the hands of non-elves. They may even provide information to your players (up to you if that is true or not) that reinforces the idea that the elves from the journals were outcasts and do not represent the average elf from any time period.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2023 :  15:31:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wait, that's not an added bonus?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2023 :  05:08:13  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey Eric i was wondering if during yours and Georges work on the crown of Earlann if you had made up a coinage system for the realm of Earlann and if any of that old coinage would still be in use maybe in places like silverymoon or everlund?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000