Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
185 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  17:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Asharak's Homepage Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much !

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Aez
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2019 :  04:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Aez's Homepage Send Aez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
As for fort locations, they were scattered all over, with most clustered along the river line and the two "Waters" but also some in the flat lands and along the Earthspurs. If I ever managed to do an Impiltur product for the DMs Guild, I'd get someone talented to do a big map with all sorts of stuff on there. I was working toward something like that with Markus Tay but he's moved on to other projects.

Thanks for the help - I figured that the two "Waters" would be a hotspot for these fortifications due to all the conflicts with the Giantspurs hobgoblins.

I'm working on a (garbage) map as part of my work, but I do not fit the bill as a talented mapmaker. If you do ever put that together, I'd be thrilled to dig into it.

-Aez
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

318 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2019 :  20:29:33  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I was going through material trying to think up questions I stumbled on your fan lore "Lord of the End of Everything", somehow I had made a copy of it locally intending to read it and never did more than skim it, tragic. Well I remedied that, I must say it is fantastic. I understand it isn't canon, but it ties so well into so many things throughout FR history. I am canonizing it in my personal Realms. I find it is especially good at conveying how one empire flows into the next.

I couldn't find anyone specifically asking questions about it, so apologies if these have already been answered. With so much lore in that article it is hard to tell what ideas you created to connect everything? I think I remember reading Jergal was non-human in the past. I don't specifically remember the Imaskari having anything to do with the Nether Scrolls? I don't know of any references to Spell Weavers in FR. Really any sort of incite in your process of writing this piece would be welcomed. Hopefully learning about your process will help me write my own Realms material for my home game.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4395 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2019 :  22:20:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George's article was truly awesome and provided so many plot hooks.

I turned the sstar gems into chardalyn, the ritual at ascore into the origin of the netherese sharn that contained the phaerimm, the spellweaver colony into a wide ranging network of colonies with its node in azulduth. He gave an origin to jergals appearance in that keep in the border kingdoms, a reason for phaerimm involvement in Netheril and imaskar, an origin story for bhaal, an origin for the nether scrolls, an explanation of ascore

And after discovering it was influenced by paizos ecology of the spellweaver there is more you can weave in with their magic cocoons and rebirth process.

I'd still be expanding this lore now if I wasn't waiting to see what other Netheril related goodies he comes up with. A truly excellent article, one of his best.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5437 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2019 :  00:41:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh shucks. I can't claim all the credit. The article had its roots in work Eric Boyd and I were doing a few years ago and have now returned to. The Jergal/spellweaver connection came from him as did much of the early history and I then riffed in terms of Jergal's machinations over the Nether Scrolls, travels over Faerûn and concluding Netheril foray. Dazzlerdal notes most of the lore connections that brought it together (Ed's Border Kingdom mention of Godswalk Keep, the Underdark product noting a phaerimm presence in Imaskar, etc.).

I should point out to you that Eric had and has a different take on Jergal which is likely to be showcased in his next product Crown of Eaerlann if we ever finish it! When that happens, mine will quietly slide into somnolence and remain what it always was and is: fan musing.

Oh, and just so you know, given recent e-mail exchanges between Eric and I on adjunct topics, I think I would have to revamp the article a little bit in any event.

Thanks for taking the time.

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4395 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2019 :  08:36:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhat unsettling news.

Wotc has abandoned this realms reality for their own less interesting creation(best thing they ever did in my opinion), and in the absence of their misguided steer, us realms fans have looked to others (You, Eric, and ed) to provide the expansions to lore we so desperately desire. And you have generously complied, for which we are infinitely grateful.

Canon is no longer official wotc approved sourcebooks, it is forum posts from the chambers of the sages, it is Twitter posts, it is articles like layla maurshanta, yahdi el alamat, the zulkirate of thay, the impiltur timeline, Lord of the end of everything, and sourcebooks like illefarn anew.

Until now there has been no conflict and use obsessed enthusiasts have catalogued everything and use it as much as any other official sourcebook.

If you and Eric have different views on Jergal then please attempt to reconcile them into a single vision. Eric's own approach is never to ignore a source and your article is now a source. Revise it, amend it, such things happened often in past sourcebooks, but please don't ignore it. I think Steven said that there are no mistakes, only opportunities for good
Storytelling.

I don't know if you have ever considered it or intended for it to happen but I (and I expect many in the community) regard you and Eric and ed as the keepers of canon for the 14th century DR. And although I doubt any of you intended for that to happen by generously providing your time and skills, but it is the state of things at the present.

On a more personal note I loved the Lord of the end of everything and regard it as an excellent explanation of one of the most mysterious deities in faerun. It is made even better because it closely mirrors my own approach, that gods do not directly affect the material plane, instead you made Jergal a real being with a colourful history and later catapulted him into an unwanted divinity, explaining many of the legends and tales about him. I hope we see a revised version later that works with Eric's vision as well, often the best lore comes from reconciling different works that seems incompatible.

And please don't take this as an attack or anything disparaging, I'm just trying to explain how i think many of us here feel about your articles and I would have for Lord of the end of everything to slide into obscurity and would instead like to see it reborn anew like an old adventure brought back to life, but I'm sure you and Eric are doing that already anyway.

Gary

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site