Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 45

Divinity
Seeker

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2018 :  01:46:01  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much!

I won't claim to be able to put a map together like Mike Schley or some of the other professionals from the Cartographers Guild (yet! :P) but I'm happy to hear any comments you have towards placement of locations on this map - from anyone for that matter. I've even been making some land formation changes as I get to new areas and realize the 3E map didn't have the best topography.

My intention was to wait until I have all the locations done before fully posting it and asking for feedback because finishing areas -and- taking feedback would be a lot at once, but feel free to let me know now if you, or anyone, sees something.

I made a thread here http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22609 that anyone can post to me about map stuff.

Thanks again, George.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5368 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2018 :  03:49:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Divinity

Thank you very much!

I won't claim to be able to put a map together like Mike Schley or some of the other professionals from the Cartographers Guild (yet! :P) but I'm happy to hear any comments you have towards placement of locations on this map - from anyone for that matter. I've even been making some land formation changes as I get to new areas and realize the 3E map didn't have the best topography.



Which map are you talking about when you refer to "this map"?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Divinity
Seeker

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2018 :  15:22:08  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The map that I linked to which had the lines drawn on it is a map that I'm making. It's a full Faerūn continent map.

This is a 25% zoom of it. There's a long way to go still.

https://postimg.cc/9DZM59kN
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5368 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2018 :  21:01:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh got you. Well if you want any help re where things are in Imptur, feel free to ask.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7684 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2018 :  15:47:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Divinity

The map that I linked to which had the lines drawn on it is a map that I'm making. It's a full Faerūn continent map.

This is a 25% zoom of it. There's a long way to go still.

https://postimg.cc/9DZM59kN



Just curious, what did you draw that with?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Divinity
Seeker

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2018 :  17:35:55  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Divinity

The map that I linked to which had the lines drawn on it is a map that I'm making. It's a full Faerūn continent map.

This is a 25% zoom of it. There's a long way to go still.

https://postimg.cc/9DZM59kN



Just curious, what did you draw that with?



All in Photoshop CC
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
383 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2018 :  05:54:03  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

In your musings, have you ever considered what abyssal "portfolio" Eltab may have held? Hordes of the Abyss mentioned the abyssal equivalents of calling water "wet" so was hoping you might have bounced around some ideas that have a bit more flavour - especially if they are inspired by the title Lord of the Hidden Layer.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5368 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2018 :  01:52:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

Hi George,

In your musings, have you ever considered what abyssal "portfolio" Eltab may have held? Hordes of the Abyss mentioned the abyssal equivalents of calling water "wet" so was hoping you might have bounced around some ideas that have a bit more flavour - especially if they are inspired by the title Lord of the Hidden Layer.



The 3E sourcebook Fiendish Codex - Hordes of the Abyss gives "hatred, retribution" as Eltab's areas of "concern" as well as confirming that his layer is 248.

I had mused a long while ago (and left a little Easter Egg in GHotR) that the last Nentyarch of Narfell, Rheligaun the Horned was a half-fiend son of Fraz'Urb-luu rather than Orcus. It was he who demanded the summoning and binding of Eltab at Dun Orthass (the Citadel of Conjurers) through assistance provided by his father - specifically information as to Eltab's truename so as to facilitate his binding.

So why Eltab? In noting his areas of "concern" it struck me that Eltab may have functioned as an Abyssal assassin for hire, used by anyone who could meet his price to eliminate rivals or key allies/underlings of various demon lords and princes. His layer was known as the Hidden Layer because access to it was very difficult - which is why despite his absence it has remained pretty much inviolate - and what access could be had was only to a very limited area. Eltab worked mainly through intermediaries re contacting and "hiring" him, the most powerful of which was the balor Ndulu, and was essentially a stone cold killer, enjoying the chaos caused by his nefarious slayings.

Given this role, Eltab had few if any Abyssal allies as he was feared by all. As such, his prospects of conquering layers of the Abyss to show his power and influence ala Graz'zt was impossible. As soon as he "came out in the open" he would have been targeted and slain in a rare demonic alliance.

Fraz-Urb'luu engineered his exile from the Abyss in revenge for Eltab's activities where he was tasked with and accomplished the slaying of at least a handful of the rakshasa known as the Hollow Rajahs, Fraz's most powerful servants, at the instigation of Orcus. Unbeknownst to Fraz-Urb'luu, after his initial rage at being summoned and bound by the Narfelli, Eltab realised that he could seek to escape his controllers and create his own realm on the Prime, far away from the chaos, danger, treachery and intrigue of the Abyss. The fact that his summoning involved the bringing to the Prime of parts of his Abyssal layer made Eltab believe that with the passing of millennia he could seek to transfer his entire layer over, subsuming the Prime and ruling his own world in that regard (Eltab is not the smartest demon lord going around, but certainly one of the most arrogant).

So, those are my thoughts on Eltab. Feel free to use any or none of that as you wish.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Dec 2018 01:53:20
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
383 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2018 :  04:01:32  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As always, great stuff - thanks, mate!

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2018 :  10:17:27  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Unbeknownst to Fraz-Urb'luu, after his initial rage at being summoned and bound by the Narfelli, Eltab realised that he could seek to escape his controllers and create his own realm on the Prime, far away from the chaos, danger, treachery and intrigue of the Abyss. The fact that his summoning involved the bringing to the Prime of parts of his Abyssal layer made Eltab believe that with the passing of millennia he could seek to transfer his entire layer over, subsuming the Prime and ruling his own world in that regard.



Hi George,

From the Obyrith Shard/Blood War Cosmology stories, I got the distinct impression that when something like that happens, the corrupted plane in question either is cast or slips into the Abyss, resulting in the creation of a new layer (being how the Abyss was originally created and why the layers are so varied).

Is it because I am dead wrong, is it because Eltab doesn't have the above information, or is there be something else at work?


/BR

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5368 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2018 :  11:24:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Misereor
Hi George,

From the Obyrith Shard/Blood War Cosmology stories, I got the distinct impression that when something like that happens, the corrupted plane in question either is cast or slips into the Abyss, resulting in the creation of a new layer (being how the Abyss was originally created and why the layers are so varied).

Is it because I am dead wrong, is it because Eltab doesn't have the above information, or is there be something else at work?

/BR



Okay, confession time: I don't follow Planescape, core D&D lore on the planes , etc. etc. I don't agree with core rules/lore subsuming or altering Realmslore. So what you point out may be true (I know nothing about the Obyrith Shard/Blood War cosmology stories and don't know whether what you are referring to is hard info, or in game stories or both) but has no bearing on the issue in question. Eltab is on the Prime. Parts of his Abyssal layer are on the Prime. He seeks to transfer all of his layer to the Prime if he can wangle it. That's pretty much it in Realms terms. Whether it is possible, is something I don't know. Whether this will cause something to happen to the Abyss is something I don't know either (and don't really care to, truth be told). So basically, I don't have any answers to your query unfortunately. The real answer is, whatever suits you or seems the best fit for you. I throw a lot of balls into the air and don't always catch them when they come down!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Dec 2018 11:25:03
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5368 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2018 :  11:25:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Misereor
Hi George,

From the Obyrith Shard/Blood War Cosmology stories, I got the distinct impression that when something like that happens, the corrupted plane in question either is cast or slips into the Abyss, resulting in the creation of a new layer (being how the Abyss was originally created and why the layers are so varied).

Is it because I am dead wrong, is it because Eltab doesn't have the above information, or is there be something else at work?

/BR



Okay, confession time: I don't follow Planescape, core D&D lore on the planes , etc. etc. I don't agree with core rules/lore subsuming or altering Realmslore. So what you point out may be true (I know nothing about the Obyrith Shard/Blood War cosmology stories and don't know whether what you are referring to is hard info, or in game stories or both) but has no bearing on the issue in question. Eltab is on the Prime. Parts of his Abyssal layer are on the prime. He seeks to transfer all of his layer to the Prime if he can wangle it. That's pretty much it in Realms terms. Whether it is possible, is something I don't know. Whether this will cause something to happen to the Abyss is something I don't know either (and don't really care to, truth be told). So basically, I don't have any answers to your query unfortunately. The real answer is, whatever suits you or seems the best fit for you. I throw a lot of balls into the air and don;t always catch them when they come down!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2048 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2018 :  15:44:07  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my understanding of such things, "the Abyss" is basically the catch-all zone of the planes. The infinite planes that do not fit anywhere else find themselves there. Eltab's layer WAS and Is in the Abyss and pieces of it were pulled out of it with magic.

Being in the Abyss is sort of like being locked in the basement where no one can see you. Even very powerful demons need to be called out of it. Being a power on the Prime allows you to travel anywhere with relative ease. This is the most appealing thing for Eltab if you ask me.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7684 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2018 :  17:34:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sidebar... thank you George for mentioning the other name of the Conjurer's tower (Dun Orthass)…. that was racking my head earlier this morning

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 45 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000