Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 41

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5162 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2017 :  23:32:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The Lords of Imphras II reside in Seaside Palace, which is joined to a covered wharf complex housing the ships of the Warsails. Other major buildings and sites within the Ward include Thorntower, the home of the Holy Order of the Sacred Shrike... <snip>
Trying to find out more about this, and the only thing i found was this, which is the original of what I already had.

Any info on that group? I want to make sure I put the Thorntower in an appropriate place.

Tons of info in the "Champions of Valor" accessory. That's the fomal name of the Lords of Imphras II organisation in that accessory at p.88 onwards.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15675 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2017 :  00:46:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay. Thats one source I pretty-much never open.

Thanks.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alenis
Seeker

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2018 :  15:40:31  Show Profile Send Alenis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, I just wanted to jump in and say thank you for all the incredible lore you’ve provided. I first came across your work regarding Narfell and Raumathar on Candlekeep a few years ago, and was floored! I recently had some free time, and spent the last 4 days reading through all 41 pages of this thread. It was a truly enjoyable read, and something I can’t really find these days since I find 4E & 5E lore to be, well, not very lorish. Thanks for all the entertainment!

- Gerard
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5162 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2018 :  23:12:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words Gerard, you've made my day.

It's always a good feeling when you get acknowledgement for well, a couple of decades of Realms pottering.

If you ever have any specific queries or just want to spitball re the Realms, feel free to post here or e-mail me.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4014 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2018 :  12:34:03  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,

Going from a comment in another thread, why is everyone cremated in Impiltur.

Is the origin from pre Impiltur (jhaamdath, arthrae nar, or other ethnicity that makes up impilturans), or is it a more recent custom.

Whether it is old or new please feel free to elaborate as much as you care on how the custom came to be. Unless you have already done so in which case i apologise for missing it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5162 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2018 :  13:03:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a post I did a couple of years ago.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lukas Kain

Hello George, I hope life is treating you well. I was wondering what the burial practices of Impiltur are, for both nobility and the common folk.

Hi Lukas. Cremation since the Fiend Wars. You burn it and it can't come back. It's safer that way with all those demons lurking about and Orcus' mastery of the undead.

and

quote:
The Triad churches are always available to provide the "Cleansing Fire". When temple facilities aren't available, commoners just build a pyre. This is common in the Uplands. Some of the churches in Impiltur don't provide cremation services (such as the Church of Sune) but there are crematoria in each of the major cities and regional centres.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 15 Mar 2018 13:07:47
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4014 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2018 :  14:07:27  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Figured i would have missed it. Good stuff, the fiend wars association makes sense, i bet lesser fiends are attracted to carrion like flies

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
574 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  05:28:40  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, I have a question about the ethnic origin of the Vaasan people.

The Vaasans are stated in the races of Faerun to be descended from a mix of Netherese and Chondathan. But the Sossrim are stated to come most often to Vaasa, and Damaras living in Vaasa, are stated to have enough Sossrim blood, to make them of lighter skin and hair. The Damarans in Vaasa, would also mix with Vaasans, I think. There are also the the Ride barbarians but they were essentially Netherese.

And as Vaasans are the main population of the Moonsea region, which is quite close to Vaasa, are Vaasans maybe in some capacity descended from the mentioned by you proto-humans who lived north of the great forests of Cormanthyr, and were responsible for building the Citadel of the Raven)?

Edited by - Baltas on 19 Mar 2018 05:37:40
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5162 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  09:43:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, the modern-day Vaasans are, as Races of Faerûn sets out, a mix of Netherese settlers who settled the Moonsea North after the fall of the Survivor States and Damarans who travelled north - all after 1000 DR.

The proto-humans of the East I named the Arthraen. I never named the proto-humans of the Moonsea North who were responsible for building the CItadel of the Raven. I surmise that they were from the same racial stock as the Netherese but were enslaved by dragons and giants in the Dawn Ages. One group also obtained the patronage of a clan of elves, which increased their sophistication and mastery of magic (see my piece on "Ordu's Amazar" here somewhere in my thread). They have no relationship with either the modern-day Vaasans (except in extremely distant racial terms) or Damarans or Sossrim.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7246 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  12:48:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing to bear in mind regarding the humans of Vaasa. Look at the original bloodstone lands. Vaasa is basically described as a sh*thole that turns into deep swamps in the summer and freezes in the winter. Not a lot of humans are supposed to be living up there. Its supposed to be teeming with humanoids though (probably BECAUSE a lot of humans aren't there).

Now I say that with the full knowledge that one of the things I love from 4e was the warlock knights of Vaasa... and I would have it that when Telos "fell" on Vaasa it made the land less prone to being a swamp. So possibly it became more useful to humans in the past century, and therefore maybe there was a migration there??? Just a thought.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
574 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  14:00:29  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-George Krashos

Thanks for clarifying it Krash!

And I suspected the proto-humans of Moonsea North are related to the Netherese, but now I'm sure of it.

-sleyvas

Yeah, it's described as such in The Bloodstone Lands sourcebook. I guess after Telos' fall stabilized the climate, it's possible that the increase in population was caused people from Moonsea (who are also of Vaasan descent), and Damara migrated into the Vaasa region, along with the baby boom from the more inhabitable enviroment.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1459 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  14:00:16  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Krashos, as you have seen, I recently wrote in the Sages of Realmslore a thread about the existence of two Wulgreths. There, I understood thet you mentioned that bestial nature of the Netherese Wulgreth as the reason why both you and Mr. Schend decided to separate the two references. If this is the point, please read what I wrote later in the thread:

Wulgreth being bestial is the point I don't understand. The references I found in the box say that after high magic fell on the renegade Wulgreth he was immediately transformed into a lich, yes. But then, the next reference is that he destroyed Karse years later (IIRC), in revenge to what Karsus has done to him, or maybe that he was in Ascalhorn destroying the legacy of Netheril bit by bit, becoming more and more evil in the process.

In this way, I understand that one or both things could happen, and yet he would have an instantaneous physical change (into a lich) but the corruption into an evil creature could be gradative. He spends the next days, months or years discovering that Karsus was responsible for his curse, then feeding his displeasure. As his body and mental faculties rot, he became more and more evil, and ended up bringing destruction to Karse, Ascalhorn or both. And maybe he struck a bargain with devils seeking to be delivered of his curse, or as a result of this corruption. Does it make any sense?

However, reading it again I think maybe the point which made the stories hard to combine was the fact that the Ascalhorn Wulgreth was human, and embraced lichdom later, in Karse. If this is the case, would not be possible that the lich was somehow disguised as a living human while in Ascalhorn? In this case, I would keep the plot above, and Jhingleshod would also have revealed this ruse to the Karse inhabitants.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 02 May 2018 14:02:53
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5162 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  06:33:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric Boyd, not Steven Schend, came up with the two Wulgreths scenario when discussing the plot contents of "The Summoning" novel with Troy Denning. I think I've been lazily copying what I recall was his descriptor for Wulgreth of Netheril but I may be misremembering. No reason you can't ignore it!

Eric and I had discussed Wulgreth in our meandering work on the North over many years. We agreed that the reference in FR5 left it open for the Ascalhorn Wulgreth not to be the same as the one from Netheril. We noted how it made little sense for Wulgreth of Netheril to go and live in Ascalhorn for over a 1000 years and then travel to Karse to enact his revenge when Karsus was his main focus from the get go. Given that both sources detailing Wulgreth are couched in terms of uncertainty (the Netheril boxed set uses my favourite phrase: Sages say ...) Eric and I were of the view that Wulgreth of Ascalhorn was a descendant of Wulgreth of Netheril and that prior to the fall of Ascalhorn learned about his ancestor and Karse. That was why he fled there after the fall of Ascalhorn.

You are free to do what you want with Wulgreth, but the canon version is the one in "The Summoning" novel which has two Wulgreths. Like all FR work, you are free to ignore that, criticize it if you like, declare it a bad bit of writing/lore, etc. etc. Don't worry, I expect that Eric won't take offence and I certainly don't.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1459 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  12:00:33  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric Boyd, not Steven Schend, came up with the two Wulgreths scenario (...)

While I saw that your response in the thread mentioned Mr. Boyd, for some strange reason I mentioned Mr. Schend. I didn't meant to disrepect one (or the other), so I send him here my sincere apologies.

quote:
We noted how it made little sense for Wulgreth of Netheril to go and live in Ascalhorn for over a 1000 years and then travel to Karse to enact his revenge (...) Eric and I were of the view that Wulgreth of Ascalhorn was a descendant of Wulgreth of Netheril (...)

Now that's the reasoning I was looking for, it makes sense.

quote:
(...) the canon version is the one in "The Summoning" novel which has two Wulgreths.

My problem with the novel version is that it digress very much from Jacquay's original work, which I love very much. I mean, making Jhingleshod a death knight? Jhingleshod is a unique and deep character... Not that I dislike death knights, they are also very interesting, and I use one of them as a prominent villain in my campaign.

quote:
(...) you are free to ignore that, (...) Don't worry, I expect that Eric won't take offence and I certainly don't.

-- George Krashos

I think this is the most important point here: my preference is a matter of personal taste, and is not meant to offend anyone. Good to know you're not offended, and I also hope Mr. Boyd is not, despite my mistake above.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 17 Jul 2018 11:00:59
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1504 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2018 :  05:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd seen a reference to Impilturan laws and practises as regards nobles and knights commanding personal military forces, but now I can't find it.

Are nobles in Impiltur allowed a household guard of a certain size by the crown?

How would it be regarded if a noble family in the northern Impiltur in the 1350s to 1370s DR invested heavily in frontier land, reinforced mining outposts and caravans travelling through hazardous areas, allowing them (or undertakings controlled by family members) to employ literally hundreds of armed watchmen, guards, outriders and men-at-arms?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 41 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000