Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Under Illefarn Anew
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2019 :  13:10:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you like it!

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

I'm just now seeing this. Very well done, Eric!

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  13:01:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AJA caught a small problem in the lineage of the House of Man, which George and I have fixed by swapping two kings. Nonetheless, I need to create version 2.

So, any edits you want to share? Please send by the end of the week. (PM me if you don't have my email.)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  14:50:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

AJA caught a small problem in the lineage of the House of Man, which George and I have fixed by swapping two kings. Nonetheless, I need to create version 2.

So, any edits you want to share? Please send by the end of the week. (PM me if you don't have my email.)

--Eric

I've got several... I've been slowly perusing the adventure.

Unfortunately, I've been doing it at work... And I'm off this week. I'll have to remote in to grab that file.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  17:23:43  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, next week is fine if you need some more time.

It's only two long dead kings in another world. It's not THAT urgent. ;-)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  20:39:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

--Eric

I think their queens are very much nonplussed that they're suddenly sleeping with a new man that knows nothing about them.... well, the first one is anyway. That other one was seen to be smiling... and all his mistresses seem VERY irritated.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  22:37:18  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
which George and I have fixed by swapping two kings
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
I think their queens are very much nonplussed that they're suddenly sleeping with a new man that knows nothing about them

The Delimbyri were into king-swapping, canon-confirmed. No kinkshaming, sleyvas.

Eric, p.22 (Annotated version, again), it states "To address the recurring orc problem, the king constructed a chain of border castles along the eastern fringe of the High Moor to keep the orcs of that area in check."

It is the eastern fringe of Delimbyran, but surely it should be the western fringe of the High Moor?

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  22:52:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As weird as it seems, the kingdom extended to the eastern fringe of the High Moor. See FR11 - Dwarves Deep, page 56.

I always figured the High Moor was more like a controlled buffer zone than actually settled land. All the settled land was west and north of the High Moor.

--
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  23:13:58  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It does (and that extant does seem weird to me!), and I figured you were trying to reconcile that, first with "The borders of the Realm of Three Crowns were much larger than the settled lands incorporated into the various kingdoms, duchies, and baronies" (under the Phalorm entry) and then "Claiming all the territories that had once been part of Phalorm" (Under Delimbyran).

But Dwarves Deep (there on p.56) also says "before turning back north around the western edge of the Moor, which it followed, along a string of now-vanished human castles, north to about where the Way Inn now stands," which still reads as western edge to me?

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2019 :  00:36:40  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

It does (and that extant does seem weird to me!), and I figured you were trying to reconcile that, first with "The borders of the Realm of Three Crowns were much larger than the settled lands incorporated into the various kingdoms, duchies, and baronies" (under the Phalorm entry) and then "Claiming all the territories that had once been part of Phalorm" (Under Delimbyran).

But Dwarves Deep (there on p.56) also says "before turning back north around the western edge of the Moor, which it followed, along a string of now-vanished human castles, north to about where the Way Inn now stands," which still reads as western edge to me?

The problem is I don't see any orcs near the western edge, as I think they were coming from the Greypeaks. So the castles along the western edge were presumably to guard against trolls from the Troll Forest and Trollclaw Hills and monsters on the High Moor. Any castle built to defend against orcs would have to be on the eastern edge and more like fortified outposts. I figure the humans would built these outposts, scout for hordes, and then fall back fighting them across the High Moor giving them plenty of time to shatter each horde in the gorges of the High Moor before they reached civilization.

--
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2019 :  01:16:28  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see what you're saying. That's still a much longer reach than I would have imagined, but I think my real stumbling block is the amount of resources and infrastructure required to build a proper "castle" way out in the middle of undefended nowhere (or even worse, caught between two hostile nowheres).

"more like fortified [scouting] outposts" is a simple linguistic trick that's much easier for me to wrap my head around.

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 12 Nov 2019 01:18:16
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2019 :  07:10:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it helps the crusaders built a number of fortresses in far off lands using medieval technology and trade routes, so it is a possibility even when surrounded by enemies.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2019 :  14:57:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess the question becomes how many "castles" were created using magic just to create basic ramparts of mud, reinforced with felled trees and rocks. Especially with a small horde of wizards using tenser's discs and some orc POW's to do heavy lifting work.

Oh, and yes, I agree that they were into "king-swapping"... we should canonize that definitely. There should even be ballads and plays written about it to entertain the masses.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2019 :  17:22:07  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I guess the question becomes how many "castles" were created using magic just to create basic ramparts of mud, reinforced with felled trees and rocks. Especially with a small horde of wizards using tenser's discs and some orc POW's to do heavy lifting work.

Oh, and yes, I agree that they were into "king-swapping"... we should canonize that definitely. There should even be ballads and plays written about it to entertain the masses.

I definitely think many of the castle were little more than outposts. How would you defend your kingdom when there are vasts swaths of unclaimed between you and the orc tribes? If you have lots of land you don't care about, the tactics and the fortifications can be much lighter with more skirmishing.

Plus, you can always swap kings and then everyone is happy for a little while.

--
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2019 :  04:23:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, sorry I 'ghosted' you. I was going through some stuff, and didn't want anything to do with D&D anymore.

Yesterday I re-did an old Liz Danforth map that Ken St.Andre had posted. I liked the layout of the town, and decided to redo it because its part of T&T, and I actually started with Tunnels & Trolls (so indirectly, if you guys use my maps, you can thank T&T for that, getting me started in this hobby). Anyhow, I did the entire city map in just two days, which isn't a record for me, its an IMPOSSIBILITY. I think maybe because there was zero lore attached to it, I was just able to go-in and grind it out, without too much thought. Plus, it was fairly simple. Not being FR there was no 'emotional attachment' which makes me strive for perfection.

All that being said, I am ready to map again. I didn't realize how much I missed it. It had become a part of me; a part I should have never cast off. Doing it put me in a better mood than I have been in in the past few months. Anyhow, if you want me to finally put the finishing touches on the High Forest map, I will do so. Just contact either my Email or me on FB.

I posted a 99% complete Essembra map on my DeviantArt page about a week ago, which got me started thinking about maps again, so I'll probably put the final few flourishes on that as well, before submititng it to Alaundo here. Hope some of you find some use for it.

Either way, Cheers, and thanks for your patience with me. I can be a persnickity person to work with.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Nov 2019 04:27:06
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2019 :  10:16:13  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark,

No worries. Glad you enjoyed the mapping. The Essembra map is very pretty.

I'll shoot you an email.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Eric, sorry I 'ghosted' you. I was going through some stuff, and didn't want anything to do with D&D anymore.

Yesterday I re-did an old Liz Danforth map that Ken St.Andre had posted. I liked the layout of the town, and decided to redo it because its part of T&T, and I actually started with Tunnels & Trolls (so indirectly, if you guys use my maps, you can thank T&T for that, getting me started in this hobby). Anyhow, I did the entire city map in just two days, which isn't a record for me, its an IMPOSSIBILITY. I think maybe because there was zero lore attached to it, I was just able to go-in and grind it out, without too much thought. Plus, it was fairly simple. Not being FR there was no 'emotional attachment' which makes me strive for perfection.

All that being said, I am ready to map again. I didn't realize how much I missed it. It had become a part of me; a part I should have never cast off. Doing it put me in a better mood than I have been in in the past few months. Anyhow, if you want me to finally put the finishing touches on the High Forest map, I will do so. Just contact either my Email or me on FB.

I posted a 99% complete Essembra map on my DeviantArt page about a week ago, which got me started thinking about maps again, so I'll probably put the final few flourishes on that as well, before submititng it to Alaundo here. Hope some of you find some use for it.

Either way, Cheers, and thanks for your patience with me. I can be a persnickity person to work with.

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2019 :  14:39:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice map as always. Once to have you back, however brief it may be.

I always feel bad if I don't get my creative fix of realms related lore every day. I've tried other hobbies, but it just isn't the same. Even other settings don't do it for me

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2019 :  20:27:22  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ping!

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thank you!

Anyone else have edits or suggestions?

I'm slowly working my way through reading this one, and I've been compiling a list of edits. Mostly just things like a missing word here or a dropped parenthesis there.

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2019 :  01:52:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ping!

quote:

quote:

Thank you!

Anyone else have edits or suggestions?

I'm slowly working my way through reading this one, and I've been compiling a list of edits. Mostly just things like a missing word here or a dropped parenthesis there.

Okay, the file is whisking its way through the ethers right now.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2019 :  20:20:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With editorial help from Wooly and AJA and posting help from Alaundo, the new version (includes the phrase "Version 1.1" on the cover page) is now posted on Candlekeep.

Minor typo fixes, one lineage correction, that's about it.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2019 :  21:01:44  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say thee, "yay!"
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2019 :  20:00:52  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hate to be that person but can we get a link to it? I can't find it in the library
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2019 :  20:35:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/UnderIllefarnAnew.pdf

http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/UnderIllefarnAnewAnnotated.pdf

Found those links on the main page.

--
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2019 :  13:09:38  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mr. Boyd!

Are you sure the new version is available in these links? I've tried to download it, and apparently the 1.1 version was not uploaded.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2019 :  02:49:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Hi, Mr. Boyd!

Are you sure the new version is available in these links? I've tried to download it, and apparently the 1.1 version was not uploaded.

I've given Big Al another ping.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2019 :  16:35:02  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Hi, Mr. Boyd!

I've given Big Al another ping.

It looks like it was my mistake. I've sent Alaundo the links to get the updated files. Hopefully they will be up shortly.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2019 :  08:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

The latest version is now available as per the current links. Apologies for the mix up.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  10:08:43  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, finally downloaded it! Also, thank you guys for the awesome job!!!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  21:48:59  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me so incredibly happy!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2019 :  00:45:29  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already ran a adventure using this... it was pretty epic. I upgraded everything to a 16HD encounter from the beginning. What I want to know is when are you coming out with the High Forest adventure?

I loved this. It was easy to convert the 2HD crap to 10HD crap, and go from there. The Wild elf leader in the Laughing Wood was hard, but I made it happen with some simple math and ingenuity. The Green Hag was powerful, but she was put down in the end with only losing 1 pc. The most challenging part was the traps and kill-spots I created as a DM for my players. In the end I loved this. I look forward to your High Forest module.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  11:48:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up, with George's help I have just finished an update to Under Illefarn Anew. 15 pages of new fluffy Realmslore (history and write-ups of fallen kingdoms).

I'll let folks know as soon as it's posted. (I presume that will take a few days.)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000