Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Drizzt novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lamora
Learned Scribe

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  19:49:22  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You got to remember though that other sites sell books plus people still buy at actual bookstores. So those books would have sold much better overall than those numbers might indicate. Erin was selling well enough that they put her books into hardcover if I remember right. That is usually only done if there are enough sale's numbers.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

532 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  20:11:21  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

You got to remember though that other sites sell books plus people still buy at actual bookstores. So those books would have sold much better overall than those numbers might indicate.
Even if Amazon only has a 20% share (I'd guess more than that), that's still not that many books (if the analysis was valid in the first place)
quote:
Originally posted by Lamora

Erin was selling well enough that they put her books into hardcover if I remember right. That is usually only done if there are enough sale's numbers.
Or it was agreed in advance based on memories of better times for sales of FR novels.

Remember, they even wanted to leave the series unfinished and she had to fight to get the last novel released at all.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
489 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2018 :  21:03:59  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek
The question is whether the FR novels in particular were actually more profitable, not just novels in general.

For what it's worth someone once tried some analysis of Amazon sales ranks on one of the Brimstone novels and concluded that it sold less than 1 book a day on amazon.

Seems like in the end the only FR novels really selling significant numbers were Drizzt's

Who knows how many units her book sold, but amazon isn't the only place to buy books from. For example, many EU countries stopped being eligible for amazon free delivery, and instead get them from bookdepository.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2267 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2018 :  21:31:47  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they would find more profits if they acutally gave copies for bookstores to stock again. I go into a B&N store and all I see is Drizzt.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

532 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2018 :  22:26:38  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

For example, many EU countries stopped being eligible for amazon free delivery, and instead get them from bookdepository.
Or simply use their local amazon.fr/.es/.it/.de/.co.uK/.etc instead of .com
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
489 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2018 :  21:06:55  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plenty of EU conutries don't have a local amazon though, that and bookdepository prices are often cheaper.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

532 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2018 :  23:51:01  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Plenty of EU conutries don't have a local amazon though, that and bookdepository prices are often cheaper.

But with the six big european sites, amazon is including the smaller countries (e.g. portugal being covered by amazon.es and BeNeLux, Austria, Switzerland being covered by .fr and .de) But that's off topic

Amazon has a huge market share in books, dominating both printed and ebook markets for a reason.

B&N and other chains, the small independent stores, bookdepository, etc. are all way behind Amazon's share. Even all of them put together may not not beat amazon.

But even if we're being generous and saying amazon only has a quarter of the book sales, less than 1 book per day times four still isn't much.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31600 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2018 :  03:09:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also question what that one book was, when this analysis was taken as opposed to when the book was published, and how large a span of time this analysis covered.

One of the interesting things about numbers like that is you can make them dance and sing and tell any story you want, just by how you collect and present your data.

If the book in question was long out of print and only being sold by resellers, when this analysis was done, then yeah, one book a day is to be expected. Or if it was the first book and the analysis only covered a period of time after the release of the last book. Or if the analysis was only covering a three-day span in the middle of a non-gift-related holiday week. And so on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Petra_W
Seeker

Germany
29 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2018 :  15:24:06  Show Profile Send Petra_W a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This drizzt novel is a bit different. So I asking myself, is it canon? Haven't red it yet, but normally novel stuff is transportet into the FR. Like jarlaxle/luskan and the dragon heist adventure.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2267 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2018 :  16:12:36  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Petra_W

This drizzt novel is a bit different. So I asking myself, is it canon? Haven't red it yet, but normally novel stuff is transportet into the FR. Like jarlaxle/luskan and the dragon heist adventure.

Pretty sure it's canon (most FR novels are). It's a continuation of where Hero left off, so it is at least canon with the Drizzt storyline, and deals with plot points started in Homecoming.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000