Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Tales from the Yawning Portal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3546 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  10:00:34  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go into software development. Its a lot like that

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

257 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  14:31:08  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

I am happy that they are continuing the trend of revealing that every world is connected to the Realms in some way, shape, or form... There is really zero downside to this, it just creates more possibilities... and overtly confirms the assumptions that many of us have been operating under for decades... That ultimately all Portals lead to the Realms.



I don't because it's a cheap sales pitch and it's lazy design. It also doesn't mesh with all the years of lore we've gotten in the past.



It actually does mesh with all the years of lore we've gotten in the past... You are simply mistaken, sir... Furthermore, I hope their so-called "cheap sales pitches" and "lazy designs" continue to bring people back to the Realms... And please stop being so negative and derisive in everything you post, it must be exhausting to maintain so much discontent.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2907 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  14:34:26  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn Cyricist talking sense. What in the Nine Hell's is going on around here...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 09 Mar 2017 14:35:02
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
646 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  15:57:14  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Even the earliest FR books talked about visitors from other planes being in Waterdeep. There was a whole book about Realmspace and travelling between crystal spheres written over 20 years ago. The Wizards Three implied links for years.

You've made up your mind though, don't see anyone convincing you. Certainly no one's going to force you to buy the product! If it doesn't suit whatever you want to do with your life, you certainly shouldn't drop any of your hardearned cash on it.

It's just a bunch of old adventures with a dash of Realmslore as an intro to spice things up, I don't really get the fuss tbh. I like the 5e system and I'm playing in the 1490s Realms, but I'm not even sure I'll pick this up myself, other than to give Tomb of Horrors a whirl sometime (though not in my FR game).



Planar travel is common but planar travel isn't what is being discussed. Traveling to the various planes doesn't mean you could then just jump to Oerth. The Realms has always mentioned other worlds but nothing specific. Spelljammer is a whole different thing entirely. Nothing about Spelljamming has been mentioned around this book and I assure you it won't be. Also, wouldn't most travelers using Spelljamming be hanging out in Skullport and not the Yawning Portal?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
646 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  16:03:36  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

I am happy that they are continuing the trend of revealing that every world is connected to the Realms in some way, shape, or form... There is really zero downside to this, it just creates more possibilities... and overtly confirms the assumptions that many of us have been operating under for decades... That ultimately all Portals lead to the Realms.



I don't because it's a cheap sales pitch and it's lazy design. It also doesn't mesh with all the years of lore we've gotten in the past.



It actually does mesh with all the years of lore we've gotten in the past... You are simply mistaken, sir... Furthermore, I hope their so-called "cheap sales pitches" and "lazy designs" continue to bring people back to the Realms... And please stop being so negative and derisive in everything you post, it must be exhausting to maintain so much discontent.



I own all the old FR stuff so no it doesn't really mesh, I'm afraid you are the one who is mistaken. Don't tell me what I can and cannot talk about because people like you are what tire me out. Giving my opinion on a forum doesn't tire me out at all. I haven't broken any of the CoC here. Where is your proof all the Realms fans are being brought in? If you playing 5th edition D&D and using the AP's then you are playing in the Realms by default. Not sure where get the idea that 5th edition is bringing in loads of FR fans.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
646 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  16:05:01  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Go into software development. Its a lot like that



Been there done that. I find consulting to be a lot better as well as the pay.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30338 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  17:31:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I own all the old FR stuff so no it doesn't really mesh



Considering that we do have known travel to and from other settings to the Realms (including at least one from Nehwon!), it does mesh that people from elsewhere could wind up in the Realms, or that someone from the Realms could have traveled to another campaign world.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2907 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  17:46:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What better place to swap tales of dangerous(possibly exaggerated) dungeons from many lands and worlds than a typical D&D Tavern. Sure it being the Yawning Portal should be about Undermountain, unfortunately it isn't. Kind of looking forward to this now.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

257 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  21:47:48  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul
I own all the old FR stuff so no it doesn't really mesh, I'm afraid you are the one who is mistaken. Don't tell me what I can and cannot talk about because people like you are what tire me out. Giving my opinion on a forum doesn't tire me out at all. I haven't broken any of the CoC here. Where is your proof all the Realms fans are being brought in? If you playing 5th edition D&D and using the AP's then you are playing in the Realms by default. Not sure where get the idea that 5th edition is bringing in loads of FR fans.



I wouldn't presume to tell you or anyone else what they can or cannot talk about. I merely asked you to try and share something positive, instead of being continually negative and derisive... I even said "please". But, if you find "people like me" tiresome, I'll see if I can find you a pillow.

My evidence that Realms fans are being brought in is entirely anecdotal... As in the people that I know who had moved away from the game have come back, and the next generation of kids in my family have started playing. So, that's a 1000% increase in the number of Realms fans in my local gaming scene. Seems like a resounding success to me... And yes, the simple fact that the Realms is the default setting for D&D means we're making every new fan of D&D into a fan of the Realms... and that's a good thing.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Edited by - Cyrinishad on 09 Mar 2017 21:53:57
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
646 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  06:50:30  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

What better place to swap tales of dangerous(possibly exaggerated) dungeons from many lands and worlds than a typical D&D Tavern. Sure it being the Yawning Portal should be about Undermountain, unfortunately it isn't. Kind of looking forward to this now.



Could have been the perfect opportunity to reveal a bit of Planescape, Sigil more importantly seeing as it's the City of Doors. They could have even introduced a bit of Spelljammer.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30338 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2017 :  10:04:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And since the book isn't even out yet, we don't know that it doesn't do that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30338 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2017 :  05:03:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the book at my local Barnes & Noble today, but I did not buy it there... I wanted to, but I got irritated at one of their policies: they won't price match with their own website.

In store, the book is $50. On the Barnes & Noble website, just a bit under $31 -- almost 40% cheaper, and with free shipping!

On top of that, I had a 20% off coupon.

So I'm going to have to wait a few days more to get it, but when I do, it will have only been $26.

Yeah, I want to support my brick and mortar store, but when the same company will sell me the same thing for a lot less, that's really hard to argue against.

CallMeGene works in retail, and he said stores not matching their own online pricing is not uncommon.

And yes, I realize that the physical stores have overhead that the website doesn't... But a 40% difference? No, I don't buy that the in-store overhead is really that high.

The cashier told me, "it costs more here because it had to be sent here." So apparently, shipping to a store a few miles from my house is really, really expensive, while shipping directly to my house is utterly free. Maybe there are a lot of toll roads I've somehow never found betwixt here and there...

If they'd even offered to meet somewhere in the middle, I'd likely have the book in hand right now. $35 or even $40, I'd've likely bought it.

Okay, rant over.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Apr 2017 05:04:14
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14389 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2017 :  06:38:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This SO weird... ME TOO!
I only go to B&N about once a year, and the kid working there showed me the Yawning Portal, which I looked through. How coincidental is THAT?!

To make a short story long (), I looked through it, and he said his DM planned to run it. Then he told me he only started playing D&D recently - he had no idea the Drizzt novels were connected to the game (at this point my 'fanboi alert' alarms were starting to tingle). He asked if I read them, and I said yes, that I had read most of the Forgotten realms Novels, although there were still quite a few I missed. He asked me which was my favorite, and I did a , "Oh boy... there are so many". "I really enjoyed the Cormyr series, and the saurials books were pretty good" (I was still sifting through my memories for something I could call a 'favorite', and hadn't even mentally gotten to Elaine's books yet, or a plethora of others...) and at this point before I could continue he looked confused. My son noted 'that' look in my eye...

He asked, "R.A.Salvatore wrote about other characters than Drizzt?" I said, "Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about - I'm talking about other Forgotten Realms authors..." more looks of confusion. He was like, "There are OTHER authors?" {heavy sigh} I walked over to the area where they keep the IP-related novels (they rearranged the place, but its always in the same isle as the manga in that store, so I just look for the aisle where all the blue-haired girls are sitting on the floor reading... that's NOT a joke...)

And of course I found just ONE shelf of D&D/FR books, almost entirely RAS. there were two different ones by Erin Evans. no wonder he had no clue. So I sat this nice young fellow down at some nearby couches and explained to him who Ed Greenwood is, what The realms truly are, how ginormous a setting it is, and even slipped in the fact that RAS killed Chewbacca (he didn't even know RAS wrote non-FR novels). Now he's probably better informed than he wanted to be, but he looked extremely happy because I think he thought he met a celebrity or some such (after I told him I actually knew most of the authors from that aisle... and others). I also gave him my DeviantART page (it never hurts to gain more followers, after all).

And it all started with me just wanting to buy the 5e DMG (which I did - I can 'just wing it' for my boys, but if I'm going to be writing for the DMs guild I had better have solid rules behind me), and being offered the Yawning Portal instead. The one thing I avoided was casting ANY disparaging remarks about the TftYP, since he looked thrilled to be playing it soon - I neither had the heart to break it to him that those dungeons weren't really part of FR (although i suppose they ARE, now), nor did I want to do anything to remove that ear-to-ear grin he had on his face as I left the place. He's gonna have some stories to tell at his gaming table this weekend - he met the guy who knows a guy who...

If we would all take the time once in awhile to find these future tabletop gamers (they're still out there, to my wonderful surprise), and nurture their enthusiasm, I think we could actually turn this whole thing around.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 08 Apr 2017 06:42:04
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1232 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2017 :  12:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got my copy of this a few days ago and have been thumbing through it for game ideas. I'm already considering running a few of the higher level adventures as part of my current campaign once my Players hit those levels.
Gotta admit, though, I'm sorely tempted to run the Tomb of Horrors conversion as a one off. I ran the playtest version last year, and my players almost made it to the end. ... almost. I want to see how the final version compares at the table.
I also really like the map for ToH they did. The color makes it much easier to reference than the original I used before. Not sure if that's recycled from an older product or if it's genuinely new, but it is appreciated.

Other than that,I'm pleased with the product. I read the description before buying and didn't read it as anything more than a 5e conversion of several classic adventures in one bound volume. I'd say I got my money's worth.
The litte nuggets of info about the Portal itself were fun, and with Undermountain being Undermountain, I've always wondered why they didn't pull more on the travelers from other worlds shtick before. It seemed a very natural conclusion to me.

- Delwa Aunglor of Tangled Trees
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

My Forging the Realms Archives (Google Drive pdfs)
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
216 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2017 :  00:43:26  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I saw the book at my local Barnes & Noble today, but I did not buy it there... I wanted to, but I got irritated at one of their policies: they won't price match with their own website.

In store, the book is $50. On the Barnes & Noble website, just a bit under $31 -- almost 40% cheaper, and with free shipping!

On top of that, I had a 20% off coupon.

So I'm going to have to wait a few days more to get it, but when I do, it will have only been $26.

Yeah, I want to support my brick and mortar store, but when the same company will sell me the same thing for a lot less, that's really hard to argue against.

CallMeGene works in retail, and he said stores not matching their own online pricing is not uncommon.

And yes, I realize that the physical stores have overhead that the website doesn't... But a 40% difference? No, I don't buy that the in-store overhead is really that high.

The cashier told me, "it costs more here because it had to be sent here." So apparently, shipping to a store a few miles from my house is really, really expensive, while shipping directly to my house is utterly free. Maybe there are a lot of toll roads I've somehow never found betwixt here and there...

If they'd even offered to meet somewhere in the middle, I'd likely have the book in hand right now. $35 or even $40, I'd've likely bought it.

Okay, rant over.



That sucks. 50 USD? I got mine on Amazon for 25! Add 7-8 dollars for shipping to Turkey still really cheaper than that store price.

"Show some respect!" the draegloth thundered. "You adress High Priestess Quenthel Baenre, Mistress of Arach-Tinilith, Mistress of the Academy, Mistress of Tier Breche, First Sister of House Baenre of Menzoberranzan... you insolent dog!"

Edited by - farinal on 09 Apr 2017 00:44:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30338 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2017 :  03:01:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, $50 is the cover price. I wasn't going to pay that much for a non-FR product from WotC. I've spent that much or more on other gaming products, but it's got to be something pretty impressive to get that much out of me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
744 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2017 :  03:30:03  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adventures are $60 in-store over here in Australia, so I won't be picking this one up until I actually decide to run Tomb of Horrors or one of the other classics. I'm tempted to get it now anyway just for the Yawning Portal lore, but paying $60 for 4 pages of FR-lore when 2/4 are available in the previews seems like a poor decision.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2017 :  07:01:34  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

My evidence that Realms fans are being brought in is entirely anecdotal... As in the people that I know who had moved away from the game have come back, and the next generation of kids in my family have started playing. So, that's a 1000% increase in the number of Realms fans in my local gaming scene.


Thank you. Me. You are talking about people exactly like me.

In my very first post here on Candlekeep, I specifically mentioned that I was a "returning" D&D Player, and 5th Edition lured me back in. Before 5th Edition, I played back in the AD&D era of the late 1980s to early 1990s when I was much younger. Back in those days, the "Realms" was not a central focus, in fact the Realms in those days was only half-baked, since D&D was still supporting multiple settings.

I'm quite happy that 5th Edition today is focused on the Forgotten Realms as the "default setting". It seems to be the one setting that survived the test of time. And it would have been stupidly confusing (and expensive) if I were to come back to a schizophrenic 5th Edition D&D that told me to buy products for four different campaign settings/worlds.

Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

46 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2017 :  14:13:44  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This SO weird... ME TOO!
I only go to B&N about once a year, and the kid working there showed me the Yawning Portal, which I looked through. How coincidental is THAT?!

To make a short story long (), I looked through it, and he said his DM planned to run it. Then he told me he only started playing D&D recently - he had no idea the Drizzt novels were connected to the game (at this point my 'fanboi alert' alarms were starting to tingle). He asked if I read them, and I said yes, that I had read most of the Forgotten realms Novels, although there were still quite a few I missed. He asked me which was my favorite, and I did a , "Oh boy... there are so many". "I really enjoyed the Cormyr series, and the saurials books were pretty good" (I was still sifting through my memories for something I could call a 'favorite', and hadn't even mentally gotten to Elaine's books yet, or a plethora of others...) and at this point before I could continue he looked confused. My son noted 'that' look in my eye...

He asked, "R.A.Salvatore wrote about other characters than Drizzt?" I said, "Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about - I'm talking about other Forgotten Realms authors..." more looks of confusion. He was like, "There are OTHER authors?" {heavy sigh} I walked over to the area where they keep the IP-related novels (they rearranged the place, but its always in the same isle as the manga in that store, so I just look for the aisle where all the blue-haired girls are sitting on the floor reading... that's NOT a joke...)

And of course I found just ONE shelf of D&D/FR books, almost entirely RAS. there were two different ones by Erin Evans. no wonder he had no clue. So I sat this nice young fellow down at some nearby couches and explained to him who Ed Greenwood is, what The realms truly are, how ginormous a setting it is, and even slipped in the fact that RAS killed Chewbacca (he didn't even know RAS wrote non-FR novels). Now he's probably better informed than he wanted to be, but he looked extremely happy because I think he thought he met a celebrity or some such (after I told him I actually knew most of the authors from that aisle... and others). I also gave him my DeviantART page (it never hurts to gain more followers, after all).

And it all started with me just wanting to buy the 5e DMG (which I did - I can 'just wing it' for my boys, but if I'm going to be writing for the DMs guild I had better have solid rules behind me), and being offered the Yawning Portal instead. The one thing I avoided was casting ANY disparaging remarks about the TftYP, since he looked thrilled to be playing it soon - I neither had the heart to break it to him that those dungeons weren't really part of FR (although i suppose they ARE, now), nor did I want to do anything to remove that ear-to-ear grin he had on his face as I left the place. He's gonna have some stories to tell at his gaming table this weekend - he met the guy who knows a guy who...

If we would all take the time once in awhile to find these future tabletop gamers (they're still out there, to my wonderful surprise), and nurture their enthusiasm, I think we could actually turn this whole thing around.



This sounds a lot like me, since I got into FR by downloading the Legend of Drizzt audiobook for free and immediately jumped into the Drizzt series. I then found the FR sub on Reddit and read *Elfshadow* and while I am continuing the Drizzt series I am becoming enamored with some other authors and story lines. I had a little more knowledge of the setting, but wasn't sure what the quality of non-RAS books were so I didn't jump into them until I read some good reviews.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  19:53:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This SO weird... ME TOO!
I only go to B&N about once a year, and the kid working there showed me the Yawning Portal, which I looked through. How coincidental is THAT?!

To make a short story long (), I looked through it, and he said his DM planned to run it. Then he told me he only started playing D&D recently - he had no idea the Drizzt novels were connected to the game (at this point my 'fanboi alert' alarms were starting to tingle). He asked if I read them, and I said yes, that I had read most of the Forgotten realms Novels, although there were still quite a few I missed. He asked me which was my favorite, and I did a , "Oh boy... there are so many". "I really enjoyed the Cormyr series, and the saurials books were pretty good" (I was still sifting through my memories for something I could call a 'favorite', and hadn't even mentally gotten to Elaine's books yet, or a plethora of others...) and at this point before I could continue he looked confused. My son noted 'that' look in my eye...

He asked, "R.A.Salvatore wrote about other characters than Drizzt?" I said, "Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about - I'm talking about other Forgotten Realms authors..." more looks of confusion. He was like, "There are OTHER authors?" {heavy sigh} I walked over to the area where they keep the IP-related novels (they rearranged the place, but its always in the same isle as the manga in that store, so I just look for the aisle where all the blue-haired girls are sitting on the floor reading... that's NOT a joke...)

And of course I found just ONE shelf of D&D/FR books, almost entirely RAS. there were two different ones by Erin Evans. no wonder he had no clue. So I sat this nice young fellow down at some nearby couches and explained to him who Ed Greenwood is, what The realms truly are, how ginormous a setting it is, and even slipped in the fact that RAS killed Chewbacca (he didn't even know RAS wrote non-FR novels). Now he's probably better informed than he wanted to be, but he looked extremely happy because I think he thought he met a celebrity or some such (after I told him I actually knew most of the authors from that aisle... and others). I also gave him my DeviantART page (it never hurts to gain more followers, after all).

And it all started with me just wanting to buy the 5e DMG (which I did - I can 'just wing it' for my boys, but if I'm going to be writing for the DMs guild I had better have solid rules behind me), and being offered the Yawning Portal instead. The one thing I avoided was casting ANY disparaging remarks about the TftYP, since he looked thrilled to be playing it soon - I neither had the heart to break it to him that those dungeons weren't really part of FR (although i suppose they ARE, now), nor did I want to do anything to remove that ear-to-ear grin he had on his face as I left the place. He's gonna have some stories to tell at his gaming table this weekend - he met the guy who knows a guy who...

If we would all take the time once in awhile to find these future tabletop gamers (they're still out there, to my wonderful surprise), and nurture their enthusiasm, I think we could actually turn this whole thing around.




I privately find it hilarious that "the blue haired girls" has taken on an entirely different connotation than it did say 20 years ago (when it meant old ladies).

Wait, it was RAS that killed Chewbacca? What a tluining naethhead thing to do.

EDIT: and I just searched online because that just made me go "what?". Poor guy. Apparently RAS was told he had to kill Chewie and his response at a convention was

I was in a conference call with DelRey and Lucasfilm when the editors expressed that they loved the outline. (paraphrasing here) “This is exactly what we want, but didn’t anyone tell you? You have to kill Chewey.”

I won’t type the next two words that came out of my mouth. After a couple of days of arguments and, well, terror, they had convinced me that they were doing it for the right reasons, and well, George was down with it, and it’s his galaxy far, far away, so I did it.

The responses have been mixed, with some people loving the new direction, other people devastated. I think it might be the only thing I’ve ever regretted; I don’t think I’d go back and do that one again.



Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 10 Apr 2017 20:07:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14389 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  20:28:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now, Disney has 'un-done' that (he DID appear in the new movie... well... the other new movie - I haven't bothered to see the latest one, and won't...)

I'm not a fan of SW. Oh, I borrow from it, and there are individual elements I like a lot, but the whole thing leaves me flat. At the time it came out, I was awed (as was everyone else) by it. Now, in hindsight, I can judge it for what it is - a poorly written, tropey, hack-fest, that banked heavily on the new, computer-generated special effects, and with THAT, Lucas hit one out of the park. Had those effects NOT been available to him, that movie would have gotten the 'acclaim' its so richly deserves - the bargain-bin at Walmart.

Anyhow, I guess that means I don't care either way about RAS 'killing Chewey' - I just like throwing that out there as one of those little-known factoids by the non-'rabid SW fanboi' crowd. Personally, I would LOVE to write a novel where I get to kill-off Harry Potter - I'd BATHE IN THE HATE. lol

And I like Harry - I'd make it a 'good death'. Not like what I'd do to about a thousand other 'heroes' I'd love to roast over a slow fire. I guess I've always been more into the villains - someone who uses 'their powers' for selfish ends is just so much more believable, IMO.

EDIT: And before Wooly takes out his Hamster stick, or Sage manages to accidentally wander into these halls while looking for his car keys...
As for TftYP, here's the bottom line: If you play D&D, then buy the damn thing. More products getting sold means more backing for D&D from Hasbro, and that means more products - FR PRODUCTS - that we all get down the line. JUST DO IT!
And if you don't play D&D, then maybe you should consider buying it based on your own reasons for liking FR. If you are an 'FR purist', than don't. Personally, i don't even know how anyone can be one of those anymore, considering the wacky state of the IP in the past decade. But whatever...

But if you buy D&D products in general - regardless of whether you play or not - than its really a no-brainer. If you want to see more of what YOU ENJOY, then buy it, so we get to see more. The same should even go for you 'purists', but at this point, if you still believe in 'canon' that much, I'm not sure what would make that crowd happy (reboot to 3e? 2e? Zero-e? {Eds Realms} - the only way to 'stay pure' these days is to just not move forward into the new era, and thats just not a thing thats going to happen).

So accept the fact that FR IS D&D now, and vice-versa, and anything that TSR has ever produced could show up in FR... possibly with an explanation... or not. This product at least tries to fudge an explanation, which is more than we got with most of the 4e schlock.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 10 Apr 2017 20:42:43
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3546 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  20:34:09  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope that one day JK Rowling will write an alternative version of the Harry Potter stories. One where Harry didn't think to choose Gryffindor as his house and was therefore put in Slytherin.

The rewrite of Star Wars history gives me hope that one day 4e and 5e will just be a really bad and pointless dream and the realms will once again be back to its original glory (or something very close to it).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - dazzlerdal on 10 Apr 2017 20:35:11
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14389 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  20:44:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Abeir our Jar-Jar?

EDIT:
I don't ever see J.K Rowling doing a 'What if..' story, but you never know. One does do whatever one can when one gets used to having gobs of money. LOL

Personally, him going Slytherin, and taking Hermione for himself (the one thing that J.K. herself says she regrets, a bit) would be pretty damn cool. Not that I want him to go full-blown villain, but a darker version of him, where he belittles Malfoy and the other'inferior' wizards in his house, and where he goes hard-core on destroying Voldemort (who he thinks of more as a misguided 'rival'), to the point were other wizards aren't sure if backing HP might not be the 'lesser of two evils'... that sort of thing.

Oh, and have him torture Peter Pettigrew, because, ya know... PETER friggin' PETTIGREW! If anyone deserved to have HP get downright medieval on his arse, it was that schmuck!

And while thats goin on, have Ron Weasley puke, and his GF Hermione eyes sparkle in avery... unsettleing... way. YEAH... like that...

Now I may have to go and write a fanfic... I HATE fanfic!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 10 Apr 2017 20:55:16
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  21:31:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Is Abeir our Jar-Jar?

EDIT:
I don't ever see J.K Rowling doing a 'What if..' story, but you never know. One does do whatever one can when one gets used to having gobs of money. LOL

Personally, him going Slytherin, and taking Hermione for himself (the one thing that J.K. herself says she regrets, a bit) would be pretty damn cool. Not that I want him to go full-blown villain, but a darker version of him, where he belittles Malfoy and the other'inferior' wizards in his house, and where he goes hard-core on destroying Voldemort (who he thinks of more as a misguided 'rival'), to the point were other wizards aren't sure if backing HP might not be the 'lesser of two evils'... that sort of thing.

Oh, and have him torture Peter Pettigrew, because, ya know... PETER friggin' PETTIGREW! If anyone deserved to have HP get downright medieval on his arse, it was that schmuck!

And while thats goin on, have Ron Weasley puke, and his GF Hermione eyes sparkle in avery... unsettleing... way. YEAH... like that...

Now I may have to go and write a fanfic... I HATE fanfic!




What if Voldemort's final contingency kicked in, and it allowed him to send back in time to the choosing hat and control it. Then future Harry has to go back and prevent himself creating and releasing the sex tape of himself and Hermione, because he realizes it ruined her life.

You know, I keep saying I need to read the Harry Potter books, but I've got such a stack... damn there's not enough time in the world.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14389 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2017 :  21:49:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were surprisingly good.

I'd place J.K. Rowling in the Ed Greenwood category - one helluva storyteller.

Your idea: There is a precedent for that (the Time-Turner) in the novels, and I thought of that as well. Write a story where Harry's son has to go back and fix things, because his dad turned into a total jerk (he's not even with his mom - he knocked-up Ginny and just went his merry way). That could be a 'what if...' and still be within continuity... that could work, and fit right into the planned sequels.

The world would change as well - be like how the world changed for Marty in Back to the Future (a darker version). Then have Snape (guess we'd need a different actor - *sob*) be a good guy that helps the son... since he IS his namesake.

Little Sev would have been 'protected' from forgetting the real version of the world - with magic, we can create any sort of McGuffin we wanted. (wearing a 'bowler of mental protection' or some-such). We may want to go back a bit before when Harry was 'sorted', though, so we could get away with different (younger) actors. The originals are too old now. maybe even go back to when Voldemort was creating the Horcruxes...

AND, we did it again. Sorry mods.

Tales from the Yawning Portal - it am good! You buy it, me no kill you!!!

{too much?}

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 10 Apr 2017 21:50:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000