Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2017 :  06:20:53  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by killerasus

Does he maintain a dictionary of Thorass, Loross or any other human language?

In his head, along with elvish, dwarvish, several hin variants, abyssal and infernal, drow, draconic...

Written down? Bits of each, perhaps, but used as bookmarks and scratch paper, and thus hopelessly scattered throughout his house. But he remembers it, or spontaneously reinvents it, so no worries.
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  13:37:46  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Ed Greenwood, dear Hooded One,
when did the elves of Faerūn invent the forging of mithral (or elven steel, if it exists...) for the first time? Was it invented in Tintageer and then brought to Toril? Or was it invented later in Faerūn, during the period of The First Flowering, or perhaps during the Crown Wars or even later in history? What did they use before? Was mithral or elven steel invented before or after the Sundering (c. –17600 DR)? In which elven realm was it forged for the first time?
Thank you very much! I would be very happy about an answer!
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2017 :  07:16:58  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a detailed image of Elminster's Tower in any of the books, or anywhere at all? I really want to use his tower for a campaign I'm running, but I'd love to be able to use something official if it's possible.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5803 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2017 :  13:00:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blaek

Is there a detailed image of Elminster's Tower in any of the books, or anywhere at all? I really want to use his tower for a campaign I'm running, but I'd love to be able to use something official if it's possible.

Thanks!

No outside image, but check out the adventure in Dungeon #30 "Elminster's Back Door" for some information on entries into his tower. The very beginning of it gives a description. Also check out page 102 of the Forgotten Realms Atlas. It shows the layout of the interior as a sideview of the tower with the walls removed (i.e. you see tables, chairs, etc..).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2017 :  16:19:29  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks sleyvas, that's exactly the sort of info I am looking for!
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2017 :  20:50:36  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also have a look in the Shadowdale book in the 2nd Edition Boxed Set. There is IIRC a full floor plan of the tower.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1458 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2017 :  05:10:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the pictures, the Dragonreach arc in Forgotten Realms comics: «The crew of the Realms Master travels to Shadowdale, seeking audience with Elminster».
No idea how good these comics are in sticking to the lore, however. Spelljammer comics have utterly ludicrous pages, so no bets.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

killerasus
Acolyte

Brazil
6 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2017 :  23:24:30  Show Profile  Visit killerasus's Homepage Send killerasus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blaek

Thanks!

There's a foldup paper model of the tower here in Candlekeep.

http://www.candlekeep.com/gallery/gallery_12.htm

I blog in Brazilian Portuguese about RPGs at http://minasdesal.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2017 :  01:41:24  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
killerasus you're my hero. <3
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1361 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  04:59:13  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed and THO,

Reading through the old Maskyr's Eye Polyhedron #55 and a brief snippet in The City of Ravens Bluff and ran across a tall, beautiful half-elf by the name of Sshansalue "Wonderharp". Aside from a black leather wearing, traveling minstrel, I find no other entries on her. I'd love to know more about her. :)

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2019 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2017 :  08:48:20  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
strange question

I have a neverwinter character named Faeril.
fae mean 1 and faer means ma gic.
so what would the ril or il mean in the elven language.( closest thing with il as it self in the candlekeep elven dictionary, is with another would some something evening)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30204 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2017 :  20:29:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this one floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by rweston

Ok - I had to look up those terms above before posting.

My question to Ed and/or the Hooded One is:

What are the "internal" names used by various races for themselves and or their languages- I'm asking from a home realms/Grey Box point of view.

We know the Elves call themselves the Tel'Quessir and I'm pretty sure we know the Halflings are the "Hin" - and we have several names for Halfling dialects (Gerult , Lurienal , Blaethur).
I know the names of the scripts for elven (Espruaur) and dwarven runes (Dethek). I've seen reference to beholder language names, so I can assume there is noe stuff we've not seen in print.

What I'd like to know are the "home realms" names races use for themselves and their languages.

I'm interested in what the following word is for these races in their own language, and what they CALL their own language (as per the hin above) as well as any regional languages - assuming as per the Grey box reference that the elven nations had a "common tongue" equivalent they used for trade between nations & with other races.

Gnomes
Dwarves
Goblins
Orcs
Elven languages

I'd really like to know what "home realms" human languages were called in the various regions (I've got Tom Costa's dragon article - I'm interested in the original names used in Ed's home game.)

I'm fully prepared for a heavily NDA'd response as I'm guessing some of this is included in materials Ed sold back in the day.

Thanks to THO & Ed in advance, and to anyone who has seen these answers elsewhere over the years.

:)
Rory

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Seeker

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2017 :  20:32:28  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Woolly - I must have posted that oddly - Just put it up a few minutes ago - I think I entered "new Topic instead of using quick reply.
Sorry!

Thanks for posting it for me.
Rory

Grey Box sensibilities
3.x rules
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2008 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2017 :  21:24:23  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Ed and Tho!

This question comes from a conversation myself and other scribes were having in another thread.

During the Spellplague, it was implied that Mystra's realm of Dweamorheart was destroyed, but then with the Sundering, we find out Mystra is alive. My question is, what happened to Dweamorheart? Was it destroyed, and if so, what happened to the petitioners? If it wasn't destroyed, how was it sustained?

Thanks!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  05:33:53  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do Dragons fit into the Pantheon... If Ao is the Overgod and mandates which entities have which portfolios, does Ao also deal with the Dragon Gods, or even Goblinoid Gods?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  03:04:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might just be me, but I picture Ao as more of a (powerful) doorman, rather than the "god of the gods" meaning that seems to come along with the title Overgod. He has absolute authority over who can do god-like things in the Realms -- Toril, Selune, and the other bodies in Realmspace. He doesn't need to have power beyond what's necessary to enforce his idea of Balance and defend himself from the ambitions of the gods/primordials/archfiends/whatever.

So gods can have any number of aliases, but anyone who wants to be "active" (with a portfolio and the ability to grant spells) in the Realms does so with Ao's permission.

If you agree with me, then that suggests that yes, whichever dragon/goblinoid gods are active in your campaign will have to be on "speaking terms" with Ao.

In any case, defying Ao (to whatever extent he deems "Thou hast gone Too Far) should spell the end of a god's access to the Realms.

Imo. Ymmv.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2693 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  16:06:16  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that Ao's punishment in the ToT--and the ToT itself--affected both human and non-human gods, then I'd say that yes: if you want Ao in your FR, then all gods ultimately answer to him.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Seeker

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  18:46:07  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scribesight be will served to remember that Ao is supposed to represent the DM. Thus AO / the DM is the ultimate arbiter of what happens in YOUR campaign.
Rory

Grey Box sensibilities
3.x rules
Go to Top of Page

blaek
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2017 :  23:15:19  Show Profile Send blaek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well. Damn. The Paladin worships me.

Mostly, I was trying to figure out where Dragons came from, if Io created them, who created Io...

In any case, everything here is good for me to draw from (in addition to 1,000s of wiki entries...) ty
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
171 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2017 :  22:13:56  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I was reading old "Monster Catalogs" (AC9, Dmr2) and I was wondering if Ed could point us the creatures he created long ago for these books ? The credits don't specify "who wrote what".

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1458 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2017 :  18:08:31  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Ed Greenwood and Hooded One!

Is a reusable enchanted item using Chromatic Blade spell possible, and if so, what sort of materials, design and other limitations this would require?

Sword (crystal/glassteel/adamantine?) with the edges "lighting up" when activated? Dagger (crystal/glassteel? perhaps with permanent Nystul's Crystal Dirk effect?) projecting sword sized light-blade from the tip?.. Hilt with some focal gem on top, projecting the light-blade?..

quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

I was wondering if Ed could point us the creatures he created long ago for these books ? The credits don't specify "who wrote what".

While waiting, you can find some of Ed's monsters in Dragondex - it has the author (of article) column, so just search in the monster list.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  22:35:41  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO,

Well met to you and Ed after time away! My new job designing for my company and writing for the new TSR's Multiverse keeps me busy. On the topic of the Multiverse blog, would Ed be interested in participating in an interview on an article I'm writing looking back on 30 years of the Old Grey Box and 50 years of the Realms?

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros

Edited by - Joebing on 24 Aug 2017 22:38:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14023 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  03:20:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that Ed's been answering questions these days, but just for shirts & giggles:

What 'hit' Halruaa?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30204 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2017 :  05:15:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Not that Ed's been answering questions these days, but just for shirts & giggles:

What 'hit' Halruaa?

The latest Justin Bieber song.

Bards are now banned from Halruaa, upon penalty of death.

On another note, at GenCon last year, I overheard someone use a fun shortening of that phrase -- he said he was going to do something "for shiggles."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Aug 2017 15:56:24
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5803 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  01:50:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What 'hit' Halruaa?

Let me second this question. It would appear as though something smashed there, created a ring of mountains and a really deep spot that's turned into a lake. I'd thought the same thing years ago and got distracted. The fact that Halarahh sits right on top of the point of impact also tends to lend some credence there as well.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000