Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 41

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2018 :  13:29:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

It has been a busy summer. One of my writing projects was contributing three short stories to Stygian Society, an upcoming tabletop game and its two expansions. The game designer is Keith Wilson, and the game mechanics are really intriguing. More details in a post on my Patreon wall, for folks who are interested.

https://www.patreon.com/ElaineCunningham
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  17:49:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

A while back, I promised to post a story about a very young Elaith Craulnober. What with one thing and another, this fell by the wayside. HOWEVER! Here is a story about another, very similar elf, going though a similar set of circumstances. This is NOT the elf you're thinking of. ::performs Jedi hand wave::

Okay, yeah, it totally is, but all of the serial numbers have been filed off.

Anyway, here's a link tthe the tale. It's on my Patreon account, but it's a public post so that everyone can read it.

I post montly writing articles and the occasional free story, so you don't need to be a Patron to read stuff on my account (unless, of course, you WANT to be..." If you're interested in getting notices of new posts, stories, and articles, you can "follow" my account without subscribing.

Hope you'll read the tale.

Best,
ec

https://www.patreon.com/posts/wolves-and-21768989
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2018 :  22:29:31  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Hi, folks.

A while back, I promised to post a story about a very young Elaith Craulnober. What with one thing and another, this fell by the wayside. HOWEVER! Here is a story about another, very similar elf, going though a similar set of circumstances. This is NOT the elf you're thinking of. ::performs Jedi hand wave::

Anyway, here's a link tthe the tale. It's on my Patreon account, but it's a public post so that everyone can read it.

I post montly writing articles and the occasional free story, so you don't need to be a Patron to read stuff on my account (unless, of course, you WANT to be..." If you're interested in getting notices of new posts, stories, and articles, you can "follow" my account without subscribing.

Best,
ec

That you, Elaine, for bringing him back to the page again, even with a Pseudonym
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2018 :  22:30:46  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:

Hi, folks.

Best,
ec

That you, Elaine, for bringing him back to the page again, even with a Pseudonym

Would you provide us insight why you chose the particular name? Just the jumble letters or is it deeper?

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 03 Oct 2018 22:31:46
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2018 :  15:25:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Would you provide us insight why you chose the particular name? Just the jumble letters or is it deeper?

No deep meaning here. I just couldn't come up with another name that fit, so I shamelessly tinkered with the letters I had.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1519 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2018 :  12:46:47  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! I was absent these last month-and-a-half, it's good to be back and find this pearl!!!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2018 :  12:32:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Wonderful! I was absent these last month-and-a-half, it's good to be back and find this pearl!!!

Welcome back! I also posted a link to this story on the Forgotten Realms Archives group in Facebook, but that group is so active that posts quickly get pushed down-thread.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 19 Oct 2018 12:33:45
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1519 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2018 :  11:04:42  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Welcome back! I also posted a link to this story on the Forgotten Realms Archives group in Facebook...

I see. Anyway, I enjoyed a lot the reading, thank you!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2018 :  11:41:55  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

We'll be doing an AMA on the Facebook group Forgotten Realms Archive this Sunday, November 4, from 10-11 am EST. I hope you'll stop by to chat!

Best,
ec
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1519 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2018 :  10:17:40  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was great! Thank you for your answers, and especially for sharing your wonderful fiction with us all!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Seeker

15 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2018 :  17:57:08  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine Cunningham,

can you give me more information about the Eilistraee-priestess Dolor in the High Forest from your novel Windwalker, for example from which drow-city or noble house she came, before she became a follower of Eilistraee?
I need her as an NPC for my campaign in the high forest.
Thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  15:03:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deepening Moon

Hi Elaine Cunningham,

can you give me more information about the Eilistraee-priestess Dolor in the High Forest from your novel Windwalker, for example from which drow-city or noble house she came, before she became a follower of Eilistraee?
Thank you very much!

Hi, DM.

Unfortunately, there is no more information available than is included in the story. I'm sure I did a more extensive back story for her when I was writing the story, but I did not retain my notes. So my recommendation is to invent whatever background best serves your story and your campaign.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2018 :  15:05:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

I'm contemplating my 2019 writing schedule and feeling a little blue about the lack of anything FR-related on it. So I'm rethinking my decision to avoid the DMs guild. Here's a link to a query post in the DM forum. If you'd be interested in seeing something of this nature, please stop by and share your thoughts and wish lists.

Hope your holiday season has been merry and bright!

All the best in the coming year,
ec

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22648
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2019 :  19:12:39  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, folks.

Best,
ec

This makes a few things make sense in regards to how a few scenes in your other stories had played out. Nicely done, and I hope there can be more, even with a pseudonym instead of his real name...

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Seeker

15 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2019 :  22:57:26  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, for answering my question!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Deepening Moon

Hi Elaine Cunningham,

Thank you very much!

Hi, DM.

Unfortunately, there is no more information available than is included in the story. I'm sure I did a more extensive back story for her when I was writing the story, but I did not retain my notes. So my recommendation is to invent whatever background best serves your story and your campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1519 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  11:43:30  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recently found this piece of art and wanted to share it, hope you like it: https://www.deviantart.com/teutelquessir/art/The-King-Sword-12902752

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  14:35:52  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I recently found this piece of art and wanted to share it, hope you like it: https://www.deviantart.com/teutelquessir/art/The-King-Sword-12902752

Thanks for sharing! I think that the green boots represent a dubious fashion choice for Zaor, but this painting COULD be a depiction of one of his fabulous predeccesors.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8057 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  16:55:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine,

Regarding moonblades, a VERY strange thought just entered my head, and I figured I would throw it past you. I know the souls of the fallen moonblade wielders enter the blade. Does this prevent spells such as resurrection / raise dead, etc...? If this is still possible, what about reincarnation? What do you think of the idea of an elven moonblade wielder who is reincarnated into the form of quaggoth or tabaxi, etc...? I'm suspecting that the blade would kill them if they attempt to wield it, even if they are still the same person at heart.... but if that weren't the case, do you think it an appropriate power for said "reborn elf" to pass into the blade that his children (which might not be elven anymore) might be able to prove worthy to wield the blade. I'm sure someone has brought this concept up to you over the years, as I can't be the first.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1519 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  12:31:57  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not Elaine, but there are some things you can consider I can help with, if you don't mind.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
(...)
I know the souls of the fallen moonblade wielders enter the blade. Does this prevent spells such as resurrection / raise dead, etc...? If this is still possible, what about reincarnation?

Well, IIRC in 2e elves' souls were different than a human's, and in fact the only way of bringing an elf back was through reincarnation. I don't know if it changed, though.

Anyway, if the elf has postponed his or her passage to Arvandor (according to Silver Shadows, IIRC), I think it makes sense that none of these spells would work (maybe the elf serving the blade would refuse to answer the spell's call).

Or maybe they could, but then there would be another problem, if the moonblade of the elf who passed away had already been claimed by a descendant.

Edit: Besides, the soul in fact empowers the magic of the blade. Maybe at least one rune would be lost, with the absence of the soul which gifts it to the sword.

quote:
(...)
do you think it an appropriate power for said "reborn elf" to pass into the blade that his children (which might not be elven anymore) might be able to prove worthy to wield the blade.
(...)

Since the first goal of the blade is to find an elf worthy of ruling Evermeet, if the person is not an elf anymore, how likely would it be that the elves would follow that person? I think even if the reincarnated elf is still worthy and is not fried by the blade, he or she would try to revert this situation somehow.

On the other hand, the owner of the sword could simply keep the blade to be handed to another - elven - member of the clan, not necessarily a direct descendant.

Of course, these are only some considerations, and Mrs. Cunningham is more suited to answer to these questions.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 04 Feb 2019 12:39:06
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8057 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  19:48:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not Elaine, but there are some things you can consider I can help with, if you don't mind.

quote:
(...)
I know the souls of the fallen moonblade wielders enter the blade. Does this prevent spells such as resurrection / raise dead, etc...? If this is still possible, what about reincarnation?

Well, IIRC in 2e elves' souls were different than a human's, and in fact the only way of bringing an elf back was through reincarnation. I don't know if it changed, though.

Anyway, if the elf has postponed his or her passage to Arvandor (according to Silver Shadows, IIRC), I think it makes sense that none of these spells would work (maybe the elf serving the blade would refuse to answer the spell's call).

Or maybe they could, but then there would be another problem, if the moonblade of the elf who passed away had already been claimed by a descendant.

Edit: Besides, the soul in fact empowers the magic of the blade. Maybe at least one rune would be lost, with the absence of the soul which gifts it to the sword.

quote:
(...)
do you think it an appropriate power for said "reborn elf" to pass into the blade that his children (which might not be elven anymore) might be able to prove worthy to wield the blade.
(...)

Since the first goal of the blade is to find an elf worthy of ruling Evermeet, if the person is not an elf anymore, how likely would it be that the elves would follow that person? I think even if the reincarnated elf is still worthy and is not fried by the blade, he or she would try to revert this situation somehow.

On the other hand, the owner of the sword could simply keep the blade to be handed to another - elven - member of the clan, not necessarily a direct descendant.

Of course, these are only some considerations, and Mrs. Cunningham is more suited to answer to these questions.

Is that the purpose of the moonblades exactly (I'm literally drawing a blank on memory for the reason of their creation). I can see the King's Blade being for finding a ruler, but the others were for "protecting elvenkind" I thought. So, the reason I'm asking would be could there be a sect of say "some non elf" that wants to work and protect elves? I admit its a very weird concept, and I'd bet more than anything the magic in the blade would just kill the person as now unworthy. But it did accept Arilyn, a half-elf, so maybe they can "adapt". For instance, if Danilo and Arilyn had a child (because according to the rules, a child of a half-elf and a human becomes human), actually could said child use the blade? I'm pretty sure this has probably been answered in the past, but its just popping up in my head, so I figured I'd ask.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1519 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2019 :  11:08:32  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The goal of the blades was one and only: to find a worthy ruler for Evermeet. It is not clear why the rest of them didn't lose its powers - and release the souls of its ancient bearers - after the king was chosen, but Mrs. Cunningham wrote somewhere that they kept on just in the case of a disaster which could eliminate the Moonflowers (then the blades would choose a new clan to rule). Besides, she also said there was another - yet unrevealed - reason for them to be still active.

As for Arilyn's blade accepting a half-elf, Mrs. Cunningham stated many times through the years that this specific blade was behaving strangely since the moonstone and the sword were separated in "Elfshadow", and that it was taking some time to "recover". If you follow the novels, you see that Arilyn started being rejected by the sword in the last books. The end of this story would be revealed in "Reclamation", but unfortunate events, along with changes in elven canon, delayed the release of this novel, which would be the conclusion of the "Song & Swords" saga.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 05 Feb 2019 11:20:29
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2019 :  12:41:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never really thought about the issue of an elven soul reincarnated as a person of another race, and I'm going to assume that the elves have not, either.

The swords are elven, and the powers of non-royal swords remain for the benefit of the elven people. There's a built-in power max on the swords, in that after several generations, they become difficult, if not impossible, to claim. There are several family swords that have been unclaimed for generations, and the tradition that developed over the centuries is that such swords be left available for a time of great need and a hero who can meet it. Think Excaliber.

The Moonflower family was identified as the royral family. The elves, IMO, are not inclined to choose another.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8057 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2019 :  20:04:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've never really thought about the issue of an elven soul reincarnated as a person of another race, and I'm going to assume that the elves have not, either.

The swords are elven, and the powers of non-royal swords remain for the benefit of the elven people. There's a built-in power max on the swords, in that after several generations, they become difficult, if not impossible, to claim. There are several family swords that have been unclaimed for generations, and the tradition that developed over the centuries is that such swords be left available for a time of great need and a hero who can meet it. Think Excaliber.

The Moonflower family was identified as the royral family. The elves, IMO, are not inclined to choose another.

In THAT case... JUST to be weird, I'm picturing an elf warrior who gets reincarnated as some kind of animal humanoid or tauric creature (centaur, wemic, Tabaxi, Quaggoth, Gnoll, etc...) as a part of some actual dungeon trap. They try to return home to Evermeet in hopes of finding someone who can return them to their true form, and they are rebuffed (a misunderstanding combined possibly with automated defenses putting them "in a bad light"). Perhaps they are the last of their line and they return to mainland Faerun to try and enter another elven colony in hopes they can aid him/her to return home. I'm really leaning cat folk for some reason and picturing this elf down in the Shaar and getting involved with the wild elves and maybe the wemics there. Maybe the reborn elf falls in love with a wemic, and children are produced (some wemics, some Tabaxi???). When the reborn elf passes on, the ability they give is the ability for say wemics and Tabaxi of their bloodline to be able to try and wield the moonblade. Many may have failed, and the blade sat there for dozens of generations. Not sure where to take it from there, but the imagery was in my head.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1519 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  13:25:21  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mrs. Cunningham.

I've posted this morning this message at Ed's thread here at the keep:

I just read the fantastic tips on roleplaying Elminster in the twitter-related thread, and since I don't have an active twitter account, I thought of asking here: could you please give similar advice on roleplaying Khelben around 1368/69 DR? Thank you in advance!

However, it occurred to me that I like very much your depiction of the Blackstaff, and that maybe you could give me some advice on his behavior/manners...

EDIT: As for the time set, it would be just around the time of "Dream Spheres"...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 14 Feb 2019 10:32:22
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1519 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  10:35:25  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another piece of art, this one with Elaith doing his blade dance (in Elfsong, IIRC).
Have you guys seen it? I see Mrs. Cunningham herself posted a comment there:

https://www.deviantart.com/righon/art/Snake-dancing-with-blades-416956302

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 14 Feb 2019 10:36:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 41 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: