Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

E4eva
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2017 :  15:55:47  Show Profile Send E4eva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Regarding the upcoming Patreon, I will be including original fiction (aka "stuff not set in the Realms") on a monthly basis. I have a flash fiction piece ready to go, a quirky little tale of which I'm inordinately fond. :)




Excited for it all.

Yes, please link us here to the Patreon and to the story when you post it on your site.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2316 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2017 :  12:09:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the end of each month, I post a writing summary on my author website. I'm including a link here for people who might be interested in hearing what I'm working on, as well as people who are interested in the writing process in general.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/writing-updates/november-writing-summary/?preview_id=4594&preview_nonce=0a3e994186&post_format=standard&_thumbnail_id=-1&preview=true

This post includes something a bit different: A cartoon illustration for "Family Matters," a flash fiction story that will be posted on my upcoming Patreon. This is a draft, done with pencil, Sharpie, and colored pencils. The final will be redrawn by hand and then inked and colored with GIMP, if I can figure out how to use it.

Adobe Creative Suite, I miss you! (But not your customer service, which SUCKS....)

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 01 Dec 2017 12:10:54
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

82 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2017 :  02:22:29  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

One of the novels I looked forward to the most during the Star Wars EU days was Blood Oath. I always wanted to see a Zekk centric novel.

Had you mapped out the story you had in mind for that novel? If you are able to share, what kind of Jedi was Zekk in your mind? What were his strengths and weakensses? What personality traits were you looking forward to accentuating?

Thanks,

SS
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2316 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2017 :  13:08:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi Elaine,

One of the novels I looked forward to the most during the Star Wars EU days was Blood Oath. I always wanted to see a Zekk centric novel.

Had you mapped out the story you had in mind for that novel? If you are able to share, what kind of Jedi was Zekk in your mind? What were his strengths and weakensses? What personality traits were you looking forward to accentuating?

Thanks,

SS



Hi, Sunderstone.

The novel was a little over half written, and a detailed chapter-by-chapter outline had been approved by the Del Rey editor and the LucasFilm continuity team, so yes, it was thoroughly mapped out.

Except for his brief sojourn into villainy in the Young Jedi Knights series, Zekk has always been a supporting character. Turning the narrative spotlight on such a character can reveal some interesting things. For example, for many books before this story, he was defined primarily by his relationship with Jaina. That ended in this book, and for the first time in a very long time he was defining himself outside of his connection with the Solo family, and for that matter, the Jedi order. That task was made more challenging by the editorial dictate that he end up with one of the Hapan twins who were introduced in the preceding story arc. Since men are secondary citizens in Hapan culture, this meant working past TWO second-banana mindsets. It was an interesting and enlightening experience to have to deal with a male character who was largely defined by his relationships, a pretty common expectation for female characters. The relationship aspect was not the focus of the story, however, and the plot was very action-oriented, allowing Zekk to pay to his strengths and also explore some new applications of his Force connection.

Writing in the Star Wars universe was lots of fun, and I regret that my health and circumstances made it impossible for me to finish the story.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2316 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2018 :  13:15:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks. A quick note to let you know about a recent reprint anthology that might be relevant to your interests. KILLING IT SOFTLY 2 is a really big collection (38 stories, over 600 printed pages) of dark fiction. There are quite a few heavy hitters in this group, and it's a very eclectic collection. The link below leads to the Amazon.com page, which lists the Table of Contents. I find that anthologies are a great way to catch up with my favorite writers, and they've introduced me to more than a few new favorites.

One caveat: I am NOT on board with the marketing approach to this anthology. I have reservations about "women only" projects and I really dislike the "girls are just as good as boys and OMG MAYBE EVEN BETTER!!!" tone the marketing angle takes. That said, this book is a remarkable collection, and I hope you'll give it a look.

https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Softly-Digital-Fiction-Anthology-ebook/dp/B076Z44WR7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515416861&sr=8-1&keywords=killing+it+softly+2
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2316 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2018 :  13:18:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to a blog post that summarizes what I wrote in 2017 and gives a peek at my 2018 plans. There are, of course, a few things in the works and in the realm of possibility than I can't talk about, but this is the general shape of the year to come.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/short-fiction/2017-writing-summary-plus-plans-for-2018/
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

82 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2018 :  00:54:56  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi Elaine,

One of the novels I looked forward to the most during the Star Wars EU days was Blood Oath. I always wanted to see a Zekk centric novel.

Had you mapped out the story you had in mind for that novel? If you are able to share, what kind of Jedi was Zekk in your mind? What were his strengths and weakensses? What personality traits were you looking forward to accentuating?

Thanks,

SS



Hi, Sunderstone.

The novel was a little over half written, and a detailed chapter-by-chapter outline had been approved by the Del Rey editor and the LucasFilm continuity team, so yes, it was thoroughly mapped out.

Except for his brief sojourn into villainy in the Young Jedi Knights series, Zekk has always been a supporting character. Turning the narrative spotlight on such a character can reveal some interesting things. For example, for many books before this story, he was defined primarily by his relationship with Jaina. That ended in this book, and for the first time in a very long time he was defining himself outside of his connection with the Solo family, and for that matter, the Jedi order. That task was made more challenging by the editorial dictate that he end up with one of the Hapan twins who were introduced in the preceding story arc. Since men are secondary citizens in Hapan culture, this meant working past TWO second-banana mindsets. It was an interesting and enlightening experience to have to deal with a male character who was largely defined by his relationships, a pretty common expectation for female characters. The relationship aspect was not the focus of the story, however, and the plot was very action-oriented, allowing Zekk to pay to his strengths and also explore some new applications of his Force connection.

Writing in the Star Wars universe was lots of fun, and I regret that my health and circumstances made it impossible for me to finish the story.



Thank you! I'm sorry your health and circumstances prevented the novel, I would have loved to have read your book! Out of curiosity, what do you see as Zekk's strengths that would have been focused on?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2316 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2018 :  01:53:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Thank you! I'm sorry your health and circumstances prevented the novel, I would have loved to have read your book! Out of curiosity, what do you see as Zekk's strengths that would have been focused on?



It has been a long time since the BLOOD OATH writing process, but in broad strokes, Zekk's strengths included his considerable Force ability, his resourcefulness, his loyalty to friends, and his commitment to winning the battles the Jedi were currently facing. He also started exploring who he was a person, rather than focusing primarily on his identity as part of the Jedi order. He has never taken much time to consider what HE wanted from life, simple but important questions about what his likes and dislikes might be, what sort of people he enjoyed being around, and what other interests and aptitudes he might have.
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

82 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  02:17:51  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

I have a question about Elfsong. There are a few pages of story of Texter encountering a Loreli. He then is mentenioned later in the story as returning to the city but having memmory lapse. Did I miss a plot point of that tieing into the greaty story?

Thanks,

Sunderstone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31314 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  04:56:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi Elaine,

I have a question about Elfsong. There are a few pages of story of Texter encountering a Loreli. He then is mentenioned later in the story as returning to the city but having memmory lapse. Did I miss a plot point of that tieing into the greaty story?

Thanks,

Sunderstone





It was just to get another of the Lords out of the picture whilst Garnet was causing problems.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1950 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  05:30:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Elaine. Been awhile, glad that you are busy and prosperous. What's this I hear about an Elaith story? When can't be soon enough.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

82 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  15:11:08  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi Elaine,

I have a question about Elfsong. There are a few pages of story of Texter encountering a Loreli. He then is mentenioned later in the story as returning to the city but having memmory lapse. Did I miss a plot point of that tieing into the greaty story?

Thanks,

Sunderstone





It was just to get another of the Lords out of the picture whilst Garnet was causing problems.



Thanks Wooly! Had Garnet co-opted the Loreli and I missed that or was it just a lucky coincidence that Texter was out of the way?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31314 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  15:31:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sunderstone

Hi Elaine,

I have a question about Elfsong. There are a few pages of story of Texter encountering a Loreli. He then is mentenioned later in the story as returning to the city but having memmory lapse. Did I miss a plot point of that tieing into the greaty story?

Thanks,

Sunderstone





It was just to get another of the Lords out of the picture whilst Garnet was causing problems.



Thanks Wooly! Had Garnet co-opted the Loreli and I missed that or was it just a lucky coincidence that Texter was out of the way?



Given that Garnet was using other musical monsters (harpies, those froggy things, the giant crickets), I'm assuming this was more of the same.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2316 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  19:12:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Given that Garnet was using other musical monsters (harpies, those froggy things, the giant crickets), I'm assuming this was more of the same.



That's a fair assumption.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2316 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  19:18:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Hey, Elaine. Been awhile, glad that you are busy and prosperous. What's this I hear about an Elaith story? When can't be soon enough.



Not so sure about the prosperous bit, but things have been busy of late.

I'm still hip-deep in a novel set in a fantasy version of Elizabethan England, and I've also pitched a novella that ties into one branch of the Cthulhu mythos. The Elaith story is a just-for-fun thing, and as such it's currently on the back burner.

It's a small tale set during his early years on Evermeet. If you remember the short story "The Great Hunt," and wondered what spell Elaith used to take on the form of a wolf, this tale will answer that question.

Sort of.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1459 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  09:57:28  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! Can't wait!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2316 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  15:24:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Cool! Can't wait!



Getting into the mind-space of a teenaged Elaith has been interesting. It seems likely to me that he was a very serious youth, and only developed his sardonic sense of humor later in life. That means the humor in the story comes from supporting characters, and writing colorful and quirky secondary characters is one of my favorite things to do.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3593 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  02:55:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine!

Did you ever notice the similarity between the alliance of Gruumsh and Lolth to the alliance of Melkor and Ungoliant?

Please don't mind my ramble...

The reason I ask is that I'm getting ready to produce a book that focuses on an Orc World to publish on DMs Guild. The Orc World is the one the Gray Orcs that were part of the Orcgate Wars came from; and I wanted to build into the lore a reason that Elves and Orcs came from that world at the same time in c. -27,000 DR when portals were opened to it by the Fey to bring the Elves.

Ed said in the Old Grey Box that Elves couldn't remember a time when goblinoids weren't testing the borders of Elf lands...and so I wanted to work it in.

I can't touch any IP of the Tolkien estate obviously; but if I build on YOUR story from Evermeet, then I can build a story of why Gruumsh and Corellon hate each other so badly before the elves of Faerun even knew about the Seldarine.

quote:

From A Grand History of the Realms:

c. –27000 DR
Continuing their work to undermine dragon rule, the Fey open new gates allowing the first elves to immigrate to Toril. These primitive green elves worship the Faerie gods (not the Seldarine, which were unknown at this time)...



My problem is that I feel like I NEED to pick your brain about their early animosity. Care to share any thoughts?

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2316 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  19:05:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Hi Elaine!

Did you ever notice the similarity between the alliance of Gruumsh and Lolth to the alliance of Melkor and Ungoliant?

Please don't mind my ramble...

The reason I ask is that I'm getting ready to produce a book that focuses on an Orc World to publish on DMs Guild. The Orc World is the one the Gray Orcs that were part of the Orcgate Wars came from; and I wanted to build into the lore a reason that Elves and Orcs came from that world at the same time in c. -27,000 DR when portals were opened to it by the Fey to bring the Elves.

Ed said in the Old Grey Box that Elves couldn't remember a time when goblinoids weren't testing the borders of Elf lands...and so I wanted to work it in.

I can't touch any IP of the Tolkien estate obviously; but if I build on YOUR story from Evermeet, then I can build a story of why Gruumsh and Corellon hate each other so badly before the elves of Faerun even knew about the Seldarine.

quote:

From A Grand History of the Realms:

c. –27000 DR
Continuing their work to undermine dragon rule, the Fey open new gates allowing the first elves to immigrate to Toril. These primitive green elves worship the Faerie gods (not the Seldarine, which were unknown at this time)...



My problem is that I feel like I NEED to pick your brain about their early animosity. Care to share any thoughts?



This might not be what you're looking for, but the truth is, I consider the early chapters of EVERMEET to be mythology and folklore, not history. The story is carefully framed to suggest that approach, in that it's written by a human bard who has limited access to elvish lore. Also, as a longtime student of history, folklore, and religion, I understand that there's a difference between Truth and fact.

The chapters in EVERMEET that deal with gods and creation stories deal with Truth. I see such beliefs as "elves and orcs were born of the blood shed by the battle between Corellon and Gruumsh" to be a metaphor for a longstanding conflict, not a literal statement or a historical fact. So I'm never quite sure how to answer gamers who email me to ask how MANY drops of blood were shed by each of the combatants, and whether those drops corresponded to elf and orc creation on a one-to-one ration, and also, since elves and orcs existed BEFORE that battle, how do I reconcile these two "facts?"

Here's how: When it comes to Forgotten Realms theology, I'm not a fundamentalist. I don't believe that every tale told is literally true. That's a difficult position to support when gods are given stats, but it's the approach I take.

So. If you're writing a history of this early time, my advice is to create whatever scenario you prefer. The true story of the warlord (or warlords) who fought against Saxon invadors might bear little resemblance to the tales of King Arthur and his shining Camelot, but it would still be a story worth hearing.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3593 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  19:52:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much. I actually DON’T want anything fact based.

As always, you are awesome.

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Selvarin
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2018 :  22:22:22  Show Profile Send Selvarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Serpent's Daughter, The Serpent's Daughter...

Sorry, just felt like saying it. if that had been completed I would've loved being the ghost looking over your shoulder at that moment.

V/R,

Selvarin

"A rogue I am, and a rogue I'll be. Neither Devil nor Angel...though I'll stay on the side of the angels for your sake. Don't tempt me to change my mind on the subject."
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1675 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2018 :  08:02:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In case nobody did show this one to you yet: /tg/ take on the drow possibly inspired by Starlight&Shadows (it continues to the end of the thread with some interruptions).
IMHO a good point is that drow have to cover the entire range from planewalking mage-merchants to back cave bumpkins puffballs (the latter probably not happy with the hand they were dealt, but not ready to tackle anything else either, even if they are capable).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1876 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2018 :  16:29:01  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Hey, Elaine. Been awhile, glad that you are busy and prosperous. What's this I hear about an Elaith story? When can't be soon enough.



Not so sure about the prosperous bit, but things have been busy of late.

I'm still hip-deep in a novel set in a fantasy version of Elizabethan England, and I've also pitched a novella that ties into one branch of the Cthulhu mythos. The Elaith story is a just-for-fun thing, and as such it's currently on the back burner.

It's a small tale set during his early years on Evermeet. If you remember the short story "The Great Hunt," and wondered what spell Elaith used to take on the form of a wolf, this tale will answer that question.

Sort of.





Cannot wait.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2316 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2018 :  15:30:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

After much debate, I've decided to start a Patreon-based webzine. Every month I'll post a short story and a writing article. If there's sufficient interest, I'll post longer stories. The first story and article are online now, free to all readers. I hope you'll stop by and read the tale!

Best,
ec

https://www.patreon.com/ElaineCunningham
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000