Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 38

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2687 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2017 :  19:13:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Elaine. Since a recent post made me wonder about something concerning Liriel, I thought I might as well ask you. After the end of Windwalker, she becomes a priestess of Mystra, because magic is her true call. However she can also still feel the song and call of Eilistraee. So, I was wondering how Liriel would feel about Eilistraee in the current era (we know that they're both alive). Would Liriel still *feel the Dark Dancer in some way, or Eilistraee have any meaning to her (I ask this because she first sought a sense of belonging in her and her followers, according to her thoughts at the end of the book).

Thanks for your time--for everything, actually.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Jul 2017 19:16:53
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2269 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  18:34:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Hello Elaine. Since a recent post made me wonder about something concerning Liriel, I thought I might as well ask you. After the end of Windwalker, she becomes a priestess of Mystra, because magic is her true call. However she can also still feel the song and call of Eilistraee. So, I was wondering how Liriel would feel about Eilistraee in the current era (we know that they're both alive). Would Liriel still *feel the Dark Dancer in some way, or Eilistraee have any meaning to her (I ask this because she first sought a sense of belonging in her and her followers, according to her thoughts at the end of the book).




Once upon a time, music was the focus of my life. I pursued an undergrad degree, taught for several years, and learned to play several instruments with varying degrees of proficiency. Since I was primarily a church musician, when I left that church, my focus shifted from music to other creative pursuits. Today I spend a great deal of time writing. It's what I've chosen to do, and I think it's a pretty good fit for my temperament, interests, and skill sets. But I still find a considerable amount of meaning in music. It's no longer my occupation and it takes up much less of my time than it used to, but I have not shut and sealed that door. I suspect that Liriel's sense of connection to Eilistraee is very similar.

The worship of Mystra satisfies Liriel's intellectual curiosity and her drive to excel. The Dark Maiden, however, speaks to her more emotional side: music, dance, sisterhood, and to the sheer joy of existence. So yes, she will feel the call of Eilistraee from time to time. Because we all have things that pertain to our lives, if not our livelihoods.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 16 Jul 2017 18:37:22
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2687 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  18:42:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Once upon a time, music was the focus of my life. I pursued an undergrad degree, taught for several years, and learned to play several instruments with varying degrees of proficiency. Since I was primarily a church musician, when I left that church, my focus shifted from music to other creative pursuits. Today I spend a great deal of time writing. It's what I've chosen to do, and I think it's a pretty good fit for my temperament, interests, and skill sets. But I still find a considerable amount of meaning in music. It's no longer my occupation and it takes up much less of my time than it used to, but I have not shut and sealed that door. I suspect that Liriel's sense of connection to Eilistraee is very similar.

The worship of Mystra satisfies Liriel's intellectual curiosity and her drive to excel. The Dark Maiden, however, speaks to her more emotional side: music, dance, sisterhood, and to the sheer joy of existence. So yes, she will feel the call of Eilistraee from time to time. Because we all have things that pertain to our lives, if not our livelihoods.



I really like this answer, it's an interesting comparison.

I suspected that Liriel would still feel Eilistraee at times, but it warms my heart to know that the Dark Dancer still speaks to her emotional side.

Thanks for replying, Elaine

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Zana
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  00:56:53  Show Profile  Send Zana a Yahoo! Message Send Zana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a beautiful way to put it. It also just contributes to way I feel connected with Liriel she has an heart for two of my favorite deities. I can't help but wonder what life was like for her the during that 100 year MIA of both of them. Who would she turn too during that time?

Lightening Bringer
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2687 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  01:18:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zana

That's a beautiful way to put it. It also just contributes to way I feel connected with Liriel she has an heart for two of my favorite deities. I can't help but wonder what life was like for her the during that 100 year MIA of both of them. Who would she turn too during that time?



Well, we have learned that both Mystra and Eilistraee actually survived in a form and then recovered after a century, rather than being simply resurrected. They were able to communicate in certain ways, so who knows, maybe some of their followers could still feel them.

However, now that I think about it, not only Liriel, but her two friends would be affected by those two goddesses going MIA. It would be a painful situation to deal with, but perhaps the presence of multiple of their followers would be one more reason for those goddesses to send some short visions, or dreams, or something along those lines.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Jul 2017 07:18:50
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2269 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  20:24:52  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick note about Gen Con book signings: I won't have any books available for sale at the con, but I'm happy to sign old stuff. I will also have bookplates for people who (quite understandably) don't want to schlepp books around.

Hope to see many of you there!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2269 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  20:29:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my schedule for Gen Con.

Gen Con 2017, August 16-19

Thursday, August 17:

9:00 – Writers’ Symposium Opening Ceremony
10:00 – Story Craft: Where Do You Begin Your Story? A panel discussion with Cat Rambo, Brian McClellan, and Eric Flint.
2:00 – Worldbuilding: Magic Systems that Won’t Break Your Story. With Monica Valentinelli, James Lowder, and Richard Lee Byers.
4:00 – Worldbuilding: Creating Fantasy Cultures. With Mary Robinette Kowal, Gregory Wilson, Sandra Tayler, and Lucy Snyder.

Friday, August 18

10:00 – Worldbuilding 101. With Richard Lee Byers.
12:00 – Signing. With Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and James Lowder.
1:00-5:00 – Worldbuilders Party. A gaming event organized by Worldbuilders, Patrick Rothfuss’s charitable organization. I’ll be running “Lords of Waterdeep” from 3:45-5:00.

Saturday, August 19

10:00 – Worldbuilding 101. With Monica Valentinelli, James Lowder, and Steven Long.
1:00 – Special Event: Superstars of RPG Fiction. With Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and James Lowder.
4:00 – Fantasy Fiction: Getting European Medieval Fantasy Right. With Josh Vogt and Eric Scott de Bie.
5:00 – Writer’s Craft: Setting as a Character. With Lucy Snyder and Gregory Wilson.
7:00 – Worldbuilding: More than Just Another Earth. With Maxwell Alexander Drake and Ilana C. Myer.
8:00-10:00 – Candlekeep Seminar
Go to Top of Page

E4eva
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2017 :  18:17:33  Show Profile Send E4eva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine,

I only just learned, stumbling on an older post on your blog/website today, that you had posted a few chapters of 'Reclamation' here, originally, as you write, under a post entitled "A birthday gift for long-time Realms readers," with the third chapter under another post called "Chapter 3."

I can no longer find those posts here in the FR Novels thread... Could you (or another kind soul) link me to those please??

I would dearly love to read them. I've been a die-hard lover of your writing since the books first came out -- and anything new (to me) about Arilyn, Danilo and Elaith would be a dream come true to read.

(I saw elsewhere on the Forum that you may have also posted some excerpts from 'The Serpent's Daughter.' Needless to say, if that is also still available, I'd love a link to that as well. Azariah, Elaith, what could be better...)

Always hungry for more of your writing, Elaine. Thanks so much for everything you've gifted us with over the years. I only hope that Reclamation and Serpent's Daughter will appear someday as the full published novels they should rightly be!

Best,
Dylan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 38  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000