Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2017 :  11:59:43  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole shifting planar stuff isnt something im particularly comfortablr with. I usually prefer to go with simpler explanations but im open to any ideas.

If they are from another plane then how did they get moved to Toril and why Unther. The other question is when did this occur. Was it pre settlement of firetrees or post. If it was post then likely someone in firetrees caused it. If its pre settlement then who or what else caused it and when. There is imaskar or okoth but the big question again is why would they bring some red trees to this tiny place and not elsewhere.

If nobody moved the trees and it was accidental then what prompted the accident. I havent got a time of troubles or a second sundering (dont do past 1370 dr) as i dont do deus ex machina stuff.

My initial though was sarrukh derived something from these seemingly naturally occuring trees and they almost all died out as the climate changed except for this small copse that the humans preserve because they also derive something from it. However ive not come up with how the trees survived here, what the ingesters of the flowers derive from it, and why they havent spread or been exploited out of existence. So im not set on that idea.

I always ask why at least five times before deciding on an explanation. If i get to an i dont know or a just because answer then i tend not to use it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2017 :  16:26:03  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, okoth didnt have yuan ti if i recall correctly. That means they relied on other servants and im guessing a lot of them were reptilian.

So what if the firetrees are a naturally occuring organism that enhances mental and physical function of their reptilian slaves, but its not a plant at all its a subterranean fungus which has these weird fruiting bodies above ground. In prehistoric toril (30000 years ago) it was widespread in the hot humid conditions of the south but in modern toril it is reduced to being near this volcanic mountain range and next to a river.

In humans it produces a bad hallucinogenic effect if eaten, but just being near it and inhaling the spores causes mild euphoria. So the townsfolk love living here. The slaves are docile and dont rebel, and outsiders just dont understand because they dont stay long enougj to get the effects.

Thats my initial thinking at the moment.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14182 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2017 :  16:03:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chemtrails?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2017 :  16:43:14  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im going even further and thinking that the fungus is symbiotic with humanoids so it diminished because it was neglected and has expanded now that people are living amidst it (might have it feed on people very slowly).

Its just a way of accounting for the feasts and festivals and the fact firetrees never rebels and tying it to the only notable feature of the settlement.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2017 :  20:46:17  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on Niz'Jaree now. Hoping to make it a bit of a mystery as to why the town in so happy

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/nizjaree-firetrees/

The outline is finished. Will add specific npcs and more places as I get some ideas.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - dazzlerdal on 27 Sep 2017 15:50:08
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1189 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2017 :  23:08:55  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. I cant wait to drop a party in a similarly off settlement as Niz'Jaree. Excellent work on the Firetrees' & Grave Pits' creepy influence there.

How big do you envision a typical granary to be? I guess a typical rooftop of Niz'Jarees granaries to be made of flattened leaves and reed, supported by wooden frames about 20ft higher than the clay floor. What would a typical residence look like?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2017 :  06:45:47  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im glad someone read it and enjoyed it (if you spot any mistakes or have anything youd like to see - such as granary and building size - then do let me know and i can add it immediately).

To be honest i hadnt thought about the building size much. My initial reaction is that clay walls and reed roof is a good fit. However since the rain ban edict it wont have rained much in firetrees so im wondering if the warehouses and slave barns are not open roofed now as the reeds perished and were not bothered to be replaced.
Noble housing is single story stone buildings sunk into the earth to keep them cool. Everything is flat roof (if it has one).

As for the firetrees, im definitely leaning towards them being natural but much more extensive during the sarrukh time.
Also the tunnels do house a real serpent, they extend much deeper and all the way to the sea and greater and lesser quelzarm have adapted to living in them over time and are now land based.
At least thats my thoughts for now but ive left that detail out of the town writeup because id like people to make up their own minds.

Now what if ishtar was killed and consumed by the fungus. What if a part of it has inherited her memories and divine power. We could see the firetrees start to changed very soon.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2017 :  21:04:50  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added some architecture and a few of the town celebrations.

Rich people live in marble or whitewashed stone buildings.

Slaves live in crude clay brick buildings (large ones designed to house a few hundred or more slaves in some discomfort).

The buildings all follow a style where the rooms are arranged in a ring around a central courtyard (the larger the courtyard the richer the owner) with each room having an open doorway onto the courtyard.

All buildings have steps leading up to the entry doorway and all the floors are sunk into the earth. (steps keep out the floods, sunken floors keep the house cool).

Roofs used to be wood for the rich or reed for the poor, but the lack of rains since the Rain Ban edict has seen the roofs not being replaced and the trees now shade the inner rooms from the sun while the house is left to the open air.

Anything else anyone wants?

Next is Shussel. I'm thinking this will be the home of a moon god of Unther before they left or were killed. Perhaps the settlement will have been built around the ruins of a great tower left behind by the former inhabitants (not the Turami), that way I can explain the disappearance of the people of Shussel without relying on deific intervention.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2017 :  09:13:30  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking a bit about the future and how the cult of tiamaat morphs into the cult of tiamat.

Deiros Forktongue i think will be the key. Therr is a cult of tiamat in surkh and i think a dragon is involved as well as the cult of the dragon. So if i have the dragon be one of the few dragon worshippers of tiamat then he could tyrb his cult of the dragon cell into a cult of tiamat cell.

They spread into chessenta and threskel and we have new cult of the dragon cells that are also cult of tiamat followers. This is how deiros forktongue first ends up in unther. He is a leader of a cult cell in messemprar perhaps that is seving all three cults at the same time so now tiamat followers are mingling with tiamaat followers.

Then we have tiamaats big battle with gilgeam and tiglath disappears and tiamaat dies. Shudu ab takes over the cult of tiamaat and uses deiros and his more brutal cult of tiamat to do so.

Also thinking about rumours of a secret turami city in the methwood. This should be metos i think, an old imaskari outpost. Skuthosiin lives there as ruler, worshipped by a tribe of half turami humans half batoi halfling. He sends the best warriors into the ruins to plunder them (like a rite of passage such as that found at the start of fallout 2).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2017 :  10:02:44  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay so encountered a major snaffu in old empires.

Ishtar left unther long ago and bequethed her power to isis but there is an incarnation of ishtar in shussel.

Im not having a formal handover of power between ishtar and isis (too contrived and gilgeam is too tyrannical to allow that.
So im imagining that after Gilgeam frames and executes all the senior priests of ishtar, many priests of isis come from mulhorand in secret to replace them (the ishtarri welcome the influx because otherwise they would be helpless).

Ishtar fled in secret so the incarnation cannot be her. So either it is someone masquerading as her (perhaps a child) or it is actually an incarnation of isis (mulhorandi incarnations are mortals imbued with power like a chosen, whereas unther is just the actual demi god).

Im thinking it will be an incarnation of isis as it makes the later events involving shussel easier and explains why shussel clergy of ishtar are add odds with those in the rest of unther

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2017 :  16:02:07  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on Shussel now.

The big secret here is that the church of isis is secretly infiltrating the church of shussel (which was desperately short of manpower following Gil-Geamesq executing all the senior priests decades ago).

It may not be a big secret for adventurers from elsewhere but in Unther it is a big deal and is probably punishable by death (everything is usually punishable by death or enslavement in Unther).

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/shussel/

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2017 :  08:47:41  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it would appear that in Thay the mulhorandi gods are referred to by the name of the noble House that they founded (Helicaunt, Isharia, etc).

I cant think of a reason why this would happen apart from by the time Thay was actually founded the mulhorandi gods had been holed up in their ivory towers for millennia and then had become true gods when the imaskari planar barrier was dropped (which im having occur long before ToT because ToT is actually a non deific event).

So perhaps when Thay was repopulated after the Orcgate Wars and the fall of narfell and Raumathar, the people living there may have though the gods of mulhorand were a myth and the Houses that ruled were named after the gods. Its a bit of a weak explanation to be honest.

Perhaps Thay outlaws the names of the gods of Mulhorand and so in order to bypass this people started using the names of the Houses instead of the gods. Over time people forgot why they were doing it and forgot the names of the gods they were offering prayers to. Its slightly more plausible as Thay has persecuted and restricted religious worship of certain gods in the past.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5980 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2017 :  12:31:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I remember Markustay and sleyvas theorized such trees were originally from Abeir (exchanged at some point prior the ToT). But I dunno if you use the concept of Abeir... so, we can repurpose the theory. Say, they are from another plane, or something.

Thank you Zero. I had originally been planning to have the "Red Mineral Forest of Shyr" replacing the "Maw of the Godswallower" in southeastern Chessenta. However, the more I've been thinking on that, the more I want to make that place smaller and less influential... and farther from Chessenta. I was thinking about putting it as replacing some of the chondalwood bordering the Shaar..... but actually just having Firetrees come back with MORE strange trees from Abeir (and expanding into the black ash plains a tidbit... firetrees... black ash...) makes this a good fit I think. It puts it near Djerad Thymar and Unthalass, and I wanted to have some weird giants... so it works. I also wanted to have the Citadel of Burning Ice come over, but without its titan owner, with an ancient chained dragon in it (Karshimis' mount being punished for rebelling), bleeding into the ground and turning the ground red... so I could stick that in the smoking mountains.... which might encourage the Millenium dragon of Dalath to get involved.

Anyway, if I did that, we'd still need to do something with the maw of the godswallower, which given the proximity to Metos and its shadow influence, maybe it becomes a "reflection of the shadowfell" on Toril. Not enthused with that, but its also got possibilities.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  21:51:14  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on the church of ishtar now. Trying to keep it separate from the church of isis (gilgeam would never allow the mulhorandi to openly take over a church of unther) while at the same time making it clear the church is at least halfway to becoming one with the church of isis.

Church of ramman is next.
That one is going to be difficult. I know someone claiming to be the incarnation of ramman fought some chessentan warlord in the ToT (if anyone has the names then ta in advance). But unther didnt do incarnations like mulhorand, the actual gods lived amongst them.

So who was this guy claiming to be ramman incarnate. How did he get powerful.

More importantly what happened to the priesthood of ramman. There is almost no mention of a single devout follower to the third most popular god in unther. Im thinking they all died or went underground when gilgeam outlawed senior priests of other gods. I dont imagine a war gods priests taking such orders lying down.
Perhaps the guy in the ToT was one of Rammans high priests who did a runner and gathered an army about him.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5980 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  22:22:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Working on the church of ishtar now. Trying to keep it separate from the church of isis (gilgeam would never allow the mulhorandi to openly take over a church of unther) while at the same time making it clear the church is at least halfway to becoming one with the church of isis.

Church of ramman is next.
That one is going to be difficult. I know someone claiming to be the incarnation of ramman fought some chessentan warlord in the ToT (if anyone has the names then ta in advance). But unther didnt do incarnations like mulhorand, the actual gods lived amongst them.

So who was this guy claiming to be ramman incarnate. How did he get powerful.

More importantly what happened to the priesthood of ramman. There is almost no mention of a single devout follower to the third most popular god in unther. Im thinking they all died or went underground when gilgeam outlawed senior priests of other gods. I dont imagine a war gods priests taking such orders lying down.
Perhaps the guy in the ToT was one of Rammans high priests who did a runner and gathered an army about him.

I think from this you're looking for the canon answer? In canon, during the ToT Assuran of the Three Thunders took on Ramman. Assuran killed Ramman, but Ramman somehow hoodwinked Assuran and passed his portfolios to Anhur of the Mulhorandi pantheon.

BTW, I don't think we have ever officially found out what the enmity was between Assuran and Ramman. We do know that he was driven out by Ramman. I've recently been wondering if Assuran and Ramman (both having ties to thunder and lightning) might not be brothers or somesuch from an interloping pantheon.

I half wonder if Ishtar as well came from this interloping pantheon, having taken over now dead Inanna's role as a goddess of love, and letting Ramman take on war. In our world, these two deities are treated as being the same entity in many stories. The Ishtar of the realms however fulfills a different role (she's more of a healer / rain goddess).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  06:35:31  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive already got ramman, ishtar, and gilgeam coming from this other pantheon which occupied chessenta and im calling akanu (it was led by anu).

I also have ishtar taking on some of the roles of inanna following the decimation and merger of both the akanic and untheric pantheons.

Im not really having the conflict between assuran and ramman begin as enmity, more as just a contest to see who was best. Ramman won and assuran was exiled from unther. In retaliation assuran destroys the former capital of akanu and creates the adder swamp. Now the two deities hate each other with a passion.

Im getting a vague recollection that hippartes was the host for assuran.

Im not actually doing any deities coming down to toril in my ToT. It was just fanciful tales and rumour plus a few important events. As assuran is a demigod he is still wandering chessenta and threskel in person. So he could lead the army himself or he could be assisting hippartes to find a bunch of his old magic items and create an army.

Ramman i have given him PTSD. So he is terrified of fighting now, but when he does fight he goes crazy. His church is all but destroyed and the only ones left jn the greenfields are junior priests and actually priests of anhur masquerading as priests of ramman.

Just not sure if the guy fighting hippartes will actually be ramman or not. Im leaning towards not

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2017 :  21:33:34  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished the outline of the Church of Ish-Tarri

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/the-church-of-ish-tarri/

Working on the Church of Ram-Manu now. I'm having it almost completely annihilated by Gil-Geamesq and his persecution. However it was not officially outlawed and Ram-Manu is still alive so the Church of Anhur has sent clergy who originally hail from Buldamar to masquerade as ensi of Ram-Manu that did not take part in the conflict with the rest of the church.
https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/the-church-of-ram-manu/

Also worked a bit on Shu-Ruppaki. I'm unsure on his origins at the moment so any thoughts are welcome.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2017 :  16:05:09  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tried adding some pictures (let me know what you think). Worked out a vague structure for the armies of Unther. Added a new npc for the church of ramman and finished thr outline for the church of ramman.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2017 :  15:19:53  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So ishtar in Unther seems to have no role or effect on any of the events from what i can see.

Her priests do the day to day stuff and bring rain to the greenfields. Ishtar supposedly has an incarnation in shussel (even though the untheric gods dont have incarnations) that is never mentioned again. Ishtar handed her power to isis long ago and disappeared despite being present in 1356 to help out when gilgeam wrestles a dragon turtle and destroys a lot of the harbour.

Ishtar is not mentioned in any future event and everything after 1357 involving ishtar also mentions isis.

So im going to kill ishtar off. But not completely (i dislike removing things totally). Im having her chased out of firetrees by shuruppak and priests of gilgeam and they kill her and dump her body in an old grave pit way out in the greenfields.

Of course the gravepits house a weird fungus that eats bodies to grow fruiting bodies. Im thinkig that ishtars dying consciousness gets absorbed into this bit of fungus (long separated from that in firetrees) and is now a sentient fungus with magic powers that yearns for revenge and has an insatiable hunger for flesh and blood.

I might even have a cult or two worship her as a god of vengeance (not the poetic justice kind but the horrible brutal murdering kind).

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/ish-tarri/

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - dazzlerdal on 15 Oct 2017 21:08:46
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  09:44:31  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ramman next i think.

He also has no effect on the later realms so i dont think there is a problem if i do anything to him.

During ToT gilgeam was still gilgeam, and tiamat was still tiamat. Ishtar was a mess and ramman i dont know if it was actual ramman that fought hippartes or rammam in mortal form possessing a human.

Since im doing away with ToT as a god event i will have to go with a human claiming to be ramman incarnate (taking advantage of the hysteria sweeping the realms at the time). With a few of rammans artefacts i see no reason why he couldnt be perceived as a super godking general.

The only problem is that hippartes wanted to conquer a weakened unther and so he gathered up assuran/hoar's relics and marched south. Hippartes beats the ramman impersonator but cannot conquer messemprar.

Anhurs clergy are already insinuated into rammans church so when assuran returns he finds that the church of ramman is now the church of ramatep and they dont need the old wargod of unther.

As for ramman himself. Im thinking he had PTSD from the orcgate wars and this got worse with gilgeams religious persecution (pressurising ramman to do horrible thigs to please gilgeam).
In the end gilgeam imprisonsed ramman beneath unthalass and tortured him until he broke his mind (something he did before to create shuruppak). Gilgeam dies but rammam is still trapped beneath unthalass.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14182 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  20:25:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if Ramman went to Kara-Tur and invented some really good soup?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  21:08:48  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get it, but then I don't eat a lot of soup

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5980 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  21:37:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What if Ramman went to Kara-Tur and invented some really good soup?

He would find out his real daddy is named Maruchan.... not Nanna-sin.... dun da dun!!!!

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3505 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2017 :  12:45:35  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on the enclave now.

For the moment I'm thinking that its headquarters are in a portal nexus (a demi plane where the portals from around the region connected to so you could travel around quicker if you had the right portal keys). That's why the enclave's headquarters is said to be all over the greenfields, because the portals from the nexus actually exit all over Unther (but more than a few no longer function).

History wise I'm thinking that the enclave was formed from one or two members of the Brotherhood of Black Flame (formed by the mages that Gilgeam persecuted out of paranoid fear) that stumbled across the portal when the Brotherhood was destroyed and they fled and accidentally discovered the portal nexus (the sources say some of them fled to the Planes so a demi-plane fits that piece).

Over time the organisation stopped fighting Unther and instead started working towards preserving Untheric magical lore. I'm also linking the Amethyst Sodality to the Enclave (enhancement for Lost Empires of Faerun by Ed Bonny). That group of formerly Imaskari mages infiltrated the Brotherhood of Black Flame hoping to use them to destroy Unther, it was one of the Sodality that possessed the portal key (unknowingly) and discovered the portal nexus. However the links between the Sodality and the Enclave have long vanished (the portals only function within a region (Unther), so the infiltrator could not get back to Ulgarth where the Amethyst Sodality survives as a secret society like the Knights of the Shield).

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/the-enclave/

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - dazzlerdal on 17 Oct 2017 20:52:19
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5980 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2017 :  22:49:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Working on the enclave now.

For the moment I'm thinking that its headquarters are in a portal nexus (a demi plane where the portals from around the region connected to so you could travel around quicker if you had the right portal keys). That's why the enclave's headquarters is said to be all over the greenfields, because the portals from the nexus actually exit all over Unther (but more than a few no longer function).

History wise I'm thinking that the enclave was formed from one or two members of the Brotherhood of Black Flame (formed by the mages that Gilgeam persecuted out of paranoid fear) that stumbled across the portal when the Brotherhood was destroyed and they fled and accidentally discovered the portal nexus (the sources say some of them fled to the Planes so a demi-plane fits that piece).

Over time the organisation stopped fighting Unther and instead started working towards preserving Untheric magical lore. I'm also linking the Amethyst Sodality to the Enclave (enhancement for Lost Empires of Faerun by Ed Bonny). That group of formerly Imaskari mages infiltrated the Brotherhood of Black Flame hoping to use them to destroy Unther, it was one of the Sodality that possessed the portal key (unknowingly) and discovered the portal nexus. However the links between the Sodality and the Enclave have long vanished (the portals only function within a region (Unther), so the infiltrator could not get back to Ulgarth where the Amethyst Sodality survives as a secret society like the Knights of the Shield).

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/the-enclave/

Speaking of "The Black Flame", we know that their lore goes on to form the red wizards. We also know that an arm of Kossuth's church is the black flame zealots. I wonder if these guys weren't from the wizard's reach that Unther populated and if they involved Raumathari as well as Mulans.

From Dragon 228, page 33
229 DR, Year of the Black Flame: A cabal of wizards calling themselves “The Black Flame” forms in Unther and destroys several armies sent by local rulers to slay them. Over the 20 summers that follow, they develop many important magics, but dwindle in numbers, destroyed by rivals, or lost in travels to other planes. They leave behind many powerful spells that later form much of the arsenal of the Red Wizards of Thay.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000