Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Martial Arts in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2018 :  23:23:41  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of content in one thread!
An martial arts could be many things: A form of combat/warfare. A style of training. A form of competition.
"Wushu" is a competition, as is UFC or Thai Boxing. Historical ones could be something like viking "holmgang", who among lots of varieties, sometimes had shields as "goals", break opponents shield. First to 3 goals win (you can stand in front of your shield, or hold it).
Fencing is a style of combat made from a style of competition.

Though, since my main MA personally being Capoeira.... I think it's unuiqe, due to being a underground, slave martial arts. If something like it were to be placed in FR, I think what is needed is a culture with slavery, and conflict with runaway slaves.
Main thing, is most of the martial arts mentioned is defined out of a spesific kind of definition. Karate-Do is officially defined as the art of empty hand fighting, as defined by the curritculum of Kata (forms), others as Boxing as a set of competition rules, etc.
Capoeira? out of a dance, "the roda" (circle). A ceremony, ritual.
It's quite simple to use it as a template, and look on african styles, and make weapon styles for FR out of something like Capoeira instead of just using it lock, stock and barrel.

if the historical "holmgang" actually was a MA as we know it, in its own right, noone knows.. It could have been. Especially if it was common protecting his own shield, staying in front, fencing like a samurai with one sword...
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  09:57:29  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curious. Could styles be point-built for PO:Combat & Tactics?
Since C&T both was made to avoid "Uh... I whack it again"/"99 hit points on the wall, scratch one..." fights and got various maneuvers and advantages and is easily convertible if needed.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000