Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Rime of the Frostmaiden Discussion [SPOILERS]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1748 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2020 :  15:26:02  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Alagondar scion (aka the Neverwinter Noble) is one of the player selectable themes in the excellent Neverwinter Campaign Setting. Basically, one player can choose to be the last living descendant of Nasher Alagondar, and try to claim the crown of Neverwinter from Dagult Neverember.

So, yeah, is somehow of a reused asset, but it makes no sense at all how they are using it.

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1363 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2020 :  22:04:46  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

I agree with that outlook. I am curious about your view on something related to this topic broadly, since you've written so much lore yourself.

Do you feel, hypothetically, that if the divide continues to grow and the impact is felt long-term with WotC on the Realms that WotC would do one of two things: 1) shut the campaign down if sales are not consolidated from old and new Realms folk being onboard and keeping sales lower than needed/wanted, or 2) just ignore the old faction to focus on the younger customer segment and shoot for what they can get with lost cost production inputs?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5986 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  02:21:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what "divide" you are talking about. Long time fans of any setting have shifting tastes and appreciation for product releases as time goes on, and I think that nostalgia kicks in to make some people feel that things were better "before".

I think WotC are simply writing products they think will sell. If that means leveraging off non-traditional Realms IP such as Acererak, Vecna, Strahd etc, they are more than willing to do so.

I think that they believe they have a good balance mix in their products to cater for new fans and old. Opinions will no doubt vary as to the truth of that belief.

They will continue to use the Realms as a backdrop for their quasi-adventure paths for as long as it suits them. Again, if some of the new settings they are looking to showcase show a sales pattern greater than what is normally seen in a product set in the Realms, they are likely to go back to that IP again. And again. And again. As long as the $$ are there. People seem to forget that they are running a business, not catering to a minority who want stuff a certain way. The "true" FR fans (whatever that means) are a small subset of the fanbase and not the sales arbiter for what WotC releases.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1363 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  20:23:23  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

All fair points. I feel the nostalgia one is a good one. It's quite difficult for me to want to participate in something at a certain point that feels as if it's been destroyed and then being told to "come have fun with us over here", from the people who did it. That's my view on it.

That being said, at the same time, I have literally heard a lot of new people to the Realms explain that they felt the "buy-in" was to great for time investment to play catch up with everyone that's been doing the Realms since the 80's. I get that. I remember playing Star Fleet Battles as a kid at conventions in the 80's and these guys that had been playing it since release in 1979 had a monstrous amount of knowledge that made me feel like I just couldn't get into it with that barrier to enter. Perhaps there is a bit of that in there too? Who knows.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

206 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  02:21:37  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be frank, after the many limitations to temporal shenanigans in the Realms, having a few obelisks that reset the world, presumably including the deities, seems like a headscratcher. I can imagine Ao facepalming after all that recent work. That seems like something every major power would lock down.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1363 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  06:33:33  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Veritas,

I would just take a sick day that day, and if done well, come back happy about it. ;) haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000