Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5913 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  01:14:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The adventure requires you to fight Auril ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9252 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  01:43:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

Hmm:
- the cold crone. It’s this old, hunched, tripartite creature that combines the features of a goat, a wolf, and an owl. - Cegilune?
- Her middle form is called the brittle maiden—a svelte, angular, feminine creature made of jagged ice. - Aurilandür?
- winter’s womb, resembling a radiant diamond that contains her divine spark. It represents Auril in her most primal form. - the Black Diamond/Shard of Pure Evil/The Queen of Air and Darkness herself(itself?).

Yeah, I was trying to piece that concept together myself, but honestly, I am not sure they went that far. The part that surprises me most is the "radiant" diamond.... so, shining bright. If its travelling backwards in time too, that just kind of doesn't fit that that's her at her most basic if that's also the black diamond.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1685 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  01:44:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, in three forms. That someone on Twitter described as WotC Freudian views on women,

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3371 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  04:36:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Wolf and owl, OK sure, wolves and snowy owls are cool imagery for ice and snow. Goats though? Goats? Sure, mountain goats can live in pretty cold temperatures but they're not cool like wolves and owls.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
775 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  13:10:34  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The adventure requires you to fight Auril ...

-- George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Yeah, in three forms. That someone on Twitter described as WotC Freudian views on women,

Hmm, I think JRPGs, and up to a level computer and console RPGs are an influence for an idea to "fight a god", and the multi-fazed, multiform nature of it.

With Freudian nature, I think though the battle with Auril is indeed influenced by the idea of the Three Faces of Eve/the Triplicate goddess.

I also expanded on it though possibly having a deeper sense (ie the multiple hosts of the Black Diamond).

I guess though this battle would also male more sense lorewise, if it followed Brian R, James suggestion the "Auril" is in reality the Queen of Air and Darkness/The Black Diamond, weakened without a host.
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yeah, I was trying to piece that concept together myself, but honestly, I am not sure they went that far. The part that surprises me most is the "radiant" diamond.... so, shining bright. If its travelling backwards in time too, that just kind of doesn't fit that that's her at her most basic if that's also the black diamond.

Well with the Radiant Diamond...it's interesting black colored objects, can give the brightest light - the sun has black body, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

(Although I also might give WoTC to much credit XD And black body radiation being a result of heat, is cold is just ultimately the lack of heat but still...)

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Wolf and owl, OK sure, wolves and snowy owls are cool imagery for ice and snow. Goats though? Goats? Sure, mountain goats can live in pretty cold temperatures but they're not cool like wolves and owls.

I think the goat elements, are due to the "chimera-crone" form of Auril, being inspired by Cailleach - an Gaelic hag goddess of winter, associated with goats (and "horned beasts"), as well as owls and wolves.

Edited by - Baltas on 01 Aug 2020 15:36:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000