Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What books would an insane lich keep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32223 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2019 :  04:45:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Okay, my memory may be fuzzy but I recall the idea of liches ingesting larvae was to maintain their existence as liches. As time goes by they eventually become demiliches but the ingesting of the larvae staves this off long enough for them to acquire the lore they need/want before transitioning to that state. I think this info comes from Lords of Darkness (1e reference book). I'll need to look it up.

Page 75:

quote:
Some liches consume larvae (see Monster Manual) on a regular basis rather than employing Nulathoe's Ninemen to maintain bodily vitality; some sages have advanced the hypothesis that a demi-lich's sentience originates with such creatures.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Aug 2019 04:47:09
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8139 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2019 :  03:17:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Okay, my memory may be fuzzy but I recall the idea of liches ingesting larvae was to maintain their existence as liches. As time goes by they eventually become demiliches but the ingesting of the larvae staves this off long enough for them to acquire the lore they need/want before transitioning to that state. I think this info comes from Lords of Darkness (1e reference book). I'll need to look it up.

Yep, liches used to be a lot less powerful in earlier editions and the power creep has slowly come in in different ways. They used to have to use larvae to stave off degradation (though there was no chart to track this or anything). They used to have to have a body nearby their phylactery or they couldn't reform (though later fixes had it that they had to keep their phylacteries close, but I don't even think that's the case anymore). Of course, nowadays, staving off death by aging is as simple as casting the clone spell in 5e, so the draw of lichdom isn't what it used to be.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
674 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2019 :  15:00:09  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Page 75:

quote:
Some liches consume larvae (see Monster Manual) on a regular basis rather than employing Nulathoe's Ninemen to maintain bodily vitality; some sages have advanced the hypothesis that a demi-lich's sentience originates with such creatures.

Ok thank you. Strange considering the description of the spell

This spell halted the decay and rot of corpses for burial preservation or for a possible candidate of raise dead or resurrection spells.[1][2] Any corpse treated with this spell could not become undead nor be affected by animate dead.[1] This spell did not heal wounds, stop the loss of blood, or reverse any damage to the corpse, but it did keep joints strong and supple and muscles from contracting rigor mortis.[1][2] This spell had no effect on the undead.[1]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8139 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2019 :  15:52:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Page 75:

quote:

Ok thank you. Strange considering the description of the spell

This spell halted the decay and rot of corpses for burial preservation or for a possible candidate of raise dead or resurrection spells.[1][2] Any corpse treated with this spell could not become undead nor be affected by animate dead.[1] This spell did not heal wounds, stop the loss of blood, or reverse any damage to the corpse, but it did keep joints strong and supple and muscles from contracting rigor mortis.[1][2] This spell had no effect on the undead.[1]

Yeah, later on in the original "Dreams of the Red Wizards" they introduced this spell by Szass Tam for a similar purpose. This was back when "no one knew that Szass Tam was a lich", which is how I preferred him... but then I chalk up his change in personality to the curse from those damn artifacts that Larloch so "helpfully" foisted upon him.

Preservation (Alteration/Necromancy)
Level: 3 Components: V, S, M
Range: Touch Casting Time: 1 turn
Duration: 1 day per level of caster
Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: One medium sized creature
Explanation/Description: This spell preserves meat and other foods as if it had just been killed. It does not work on cooked food. It can be used on dead people to keep them intact until they can be raised (the time preserved does not count toward the time elapsed before raising) or spoken to. It can also be used on a zombie or lich or similar undead to keep the body from rotting.

Also, the original Nulathoe's Ninemen didn't have those disclaimers (see from the original 1e campaign setting)

Nulathoe#146;s Ninemen
Level: 5
Range: Touch
Duration: Permanent
Area of Effect: One corpse
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 5 segments
Saving Throw: None
Explanation/Description: This spell serves to protect dead creatures of all sorts against normal decay, magically strengthening the joints of corpses or corpse limbs to keep them supple and usable. Its most prevalent practical useis to preserve dead comrades for placing
atop a bier in a sepulcher, or in hopes that they may be raised. The
magic-user requires fresh blood from a creature of the same race/species as the spell subject, and the dust or powder resulting from the crushing of a moonstone of not less than 7 gp value. As the
words of the spell are spoken, the most vital areas of the body (chest cavity, head and neck, joints of extremities) are sprinkled with a small amount of blood, and the whole body is then sprinkled
with the moonstone dust. The closing gesture of the spell is the touching of the corpse, whereupon the spell will take immediate effect. Note that this spell does not heal wounds or stanch
bleeding.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 09 Aug 2019 15:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32223 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2019 :  17:54:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were several FR spells that were nerfed from their original versions, sometimes within a single edition.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000