Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Crown of Eaerlann Teasers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2019 :  19:20:03  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cosmar, for your summary what happened in the fey'ri lair. Sounds pretty cool, and gives some nice adventure ideas.
Good luck during the next steps of your adventures ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmar

Thanks Eric, for that clarification on what the Seven Citadels are. I love that the Citadel of the Mists hasn't been breached yet: what a great adventure that would be!

Yes, my DM's Circle of the Black Hand is his own creation I think. It was located in the Nether Mountains in a place called the Valley of the Bear's Teeth, not far from the temple of Loviatar. The real entrance was a disguised phase door (the apparent main entrance was a trap- the door was fake and surrounded by an energy Transformation Field spell that converted any magic into a prismatic spray effect). Inside we fought a horde of allips, a couple living spells, an insane dryad ghost, a whisper demon, an advanced Flameskull (which had apparently once been the Circles leader) and a powerful feyri sorcerer my gold elf mage was tricked into freeing from this artifact called a Bloodstone Chamber the feyri wanted to recover (which was like an advanced Mirror of Life Trapping). Apparently the inhabitants had died in the Seven Citadels War when moon elf mages from Sharrven found their lair. We found some combatants from that fight frozen in stasis bubbles. The coolest thing was we found out my character's wizard/Spellguard/Harper father and his companions had already been there looking for a spellbook called the Song of Stillness, an artifact of Labelas Enoreth that contained a ritual to open a portal between planes out of temporal sync with each other, which the dad used to travel to Myth Adofhaer after his companions died. We have the spellbook now, my character had deciphered the ritual and we're questing for the components to do it ourselves (need 10k in diamonds, focii from both planes and a scale from the hide of Chronepsis).

Sorry, didn't mean that to be so long. I'll stay on topic now, I promise :)

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2019 :  00:46:16  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

It has not other than to show where it lies vertically with regards to rest of Hellgate Keep module.

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Deepening Moon

Hello Cosmar,
can you provide more informations/details about the Circle of the Black Hand and maybe also about Bellan'daaran?
Sounds very interesting, and I could use it very well in an adventure, which I'm running just now (concerning Siluvanede, the fey'ri and also Graz'zt). So it would fit well, and with your permission (or the permission of your DM) I would maybe use some of your background-informations...
Thanks a lot!!

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20010829d

Interesting. My group is just now searching Hellgate Keep for the stolen Staff of Silverymoon.

It would be way cooler to put it in the Crypt of the Black Hand than to just have it laying about.

Has the Crypt ever been detailed?

Wasn't it described a bit in one of the Mintiper Chapbooks?
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2019 :  22:05:14  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Eric,

in one of your previous posts you mention the Aronala of Siluvanede. Can you tell me, who they are?

And is it maybe possible for you to reveal some additional names of some of the noble houses of Siluvanede (tainted and untainted)?
So far, I have collected the following informations:
"Cloak & Dagger" mentions, that a branch of House Hyshaanth settled in Siluvanede (but I don't know, if they settled there before or after the Seven Citadels' War...?)
As far as I know, Richard Baker mentions the following fey'ri-houses in his Last Mythal-trilogy: Aelorothi, Almyrrtel, Dhaorothi, Ealoeth, Floshin, Ilviiri, Reithel, Ulvaerren, Ursequarra and Yesve.
Richard Baker describes some of these houses, like House Reithel, as „ancient Houses from Siluvanede“ that were strong and numerous, having been imprisoned in Nar Kerymhoarth for fifty centuries. Other houses, like House Aelorothi and House Floshin, he calls „descendant houses“ / „survivor houses“, families of daemonfey who had passed their demonic heritage down through twenty generations from the time of Siluvanede to the present time.
Are there any other ancient or descendant noble houses (or single individuals from other noble houses), who were also tainted by house Dlardrageth?

It would be very nice, if you could answer my questions… Thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2019 :  22:32:05  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me wonder how pure Elorfindar Floshin's blood is as this means his family is tainted. He was written up as a good and kindly mentor type who worked closely with Daggerford. Now I'm off to do a bit of research.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2019 :  23:03:23  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I recommend you to read the trilogy "The Last Mythal". Elorfindar also plays some part in the trilogy.

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

This makes me wonder how pure Elorfindar Floshin's blood is as this means his family is tainted. He was written up as a good and kindly mentor type who worked closely with Daggerford. Now I'm off to do a bit of research.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2019 :  23:26:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are good and bad Floshins. He's one of the good ones.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2019 :  20:01:40  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Eric, for that clarification on what the Seven Citadels are. I love that the Citadel of the Mists hasn't been breached yet: what a great adventure that would be!

Yes, my DM's Circle of the Black Hand is his own creation I think. It was located in the Nether Mountains in a place called the Valley of the Bear's Teeth, not far from the temple of Loviatar. The real entrance was a disguised phase door (the apparent main entrance was a trap- the door was fake and surrounded by an energy Transformation Field spell that converted any magic into a prismatic spray effect). Inside we fought a horde of allips, a couple living spells, an insane dryad ghost, a whisper demon, an advanced Flameskull (which had apparently once been the Circles leader) and a powerful feyri sorcerer my gold elf mage was tricked into freeing from this artifact called a Bloodstone Chamber the feyri wanted to recover (which was like an advanced Mirror of Life Trapping). Apparently the inhabitants had died in the Seven Citadels War when moon elf mages from Sharrven found their lair. We found some combatants from that fight frozen in stasis bubbles. The coolest thing was we found out my character's wizard/Spellguard/Harper father and his companions had already been there looking for a spellbook called the Song of Stillness, an artifact of Labelas Enoreth that contained a ritual to open a portal between planes out of temporal sync with each other, which the dad used to travel to Myth Adofhaer after his companions died. We have the spellbook now, my character had deciphered the ritual and we're questing for the components to do it ourselves (need 10k in diamonds, focii from both planes and a scale from the hide of Chronepsis).

whoa this is great. I need more!
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2019 :  23:44:34  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very excited to see the full Crown of Eaerlann, Eric - Under Illefarn Anew was a masterpiece!

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch
(...) I know 3.5e had some strange ones like weresharks and werecrocodiles.

In fact, they existed prior to 3.5. The wereshark is in the 2e Waterdeep boxed set, and may be earlier. And there are werecrocs in non-Realms sources in 2e, but I'm not sure if they are usable there.

EDIT: My mistake, there are werecrocodiles in the 2e Powers and Pantheons Realms sourcebook.

Weresharks were also in 1E, specifically Monster Manual 2. I think werecrocodiles were originally from Scott Bennie's Old Empires for 2E.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2019 :  22:42:59  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why not? There are good and kindly tieflings. Or neutral and fun tieflings. They got visible amount of fiend stuff. For that matter, 20% of alu-fiends are non-evil. And they count as lesser tanar'ri.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Cosmar
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2019 :  18:10:13  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if his ancestry has Demonfey blood, I kind of took it as being rather diluted in his immediate family so as not to actually manifest traits.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2019 :  12:09:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Why not? There are good and kindly tieflings. Or neutral and fun tieflings. They got visible amount of fiend stuff. For that matter, 20% of alu-fiends are non-evil. And they count as lesser tanar'ri.

There are at least two branches of the Floshin family. Elorfindar is descended from the (a) branch that never consorted with demons. He's not a tiefling; he's a pure-blooded elf attempting to atone for the sins of his distant cousins.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2019 :  12:10:16  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it! Specific feedback always welcome.

I'm moving along on Crown of Eaerlann, but it's a big project. :-)

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

I'm very excited to see the full Crown of Eaerlann, Eric - Under Illefarn Anew was a masterpiece!

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch
(...) I know 3.5e had some strange ones like weresharks and werecrocodiles.

In fact, they existed prior to 3.5. The wereshark is in the 2e Waterdeep boxed set, and may be earlier. And there are werecrocs in non-Realms sources in 2e, but I'm not sure if they are usable there.

EDIT: My mistake, there are werecrocodiles in the 2e Powers and Pantheons Realms sourcebook.

Weresharks were also in 1E, specifically Monster Manual 2. I think werecrocodiles were originally from Scott Bennie's Old Empires for 2E.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2019 :  12:18:09  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At its founding, Siluvanede was governed by the rule of Aronala (“the Sunspeakers”), the leaders of seven greater noble houses, who elected an Iyilitar (“First Speaker”) to rule, with the consent of the Aronala and their ever-changing mix of allies among the lesser noble houses. The reigning Iyilitar was not necessarily drawn from the ranks of the Aronala, but was always of noble birth.
Initially, the seven greater noble houses of the Aronala included House Caeletharr (gold elves), House Elphaerendil (moon elves), House Evanara (gold elves), House Ilviiri (gold elves), House Lamavarith (star elves), House Raerdrimne (gold elves), and House Teshurr (gold elves). During the reign of the third Iyilitar of Siluvanede, Tavaril “the Proud” Faerondarl, the leaders of House Elphaerendil and House Lamavarith found themselves increasing isolated by the gold elf majority of the Aronala and the increasing elitism of the predominantly gold elf population of Siluvanede. After House Elphaerendil and House Lamavarith resigned from the Aronala (the former to found Sharrven, the latter to disappear to parts unknown), the leaders of House Reithil and House Yesve (both comprised of gold elves) were elevated to the Aronala in their stead

quote:

Hello Eric,

in one of your previous posts you mention the Aronala of Siluvanede. Can you tell me, who they are?

And is it maybe possible for you to reveal some additional names of some of the noble houses of Siluvanede (tainted and untainted)?
"Cloak & Dagger" mentions, that a branch of House Hyshaanth settled in Siluvanede (but I don't know, if they settled there before or after the Seven Citadels' War...?)
As far as I know, Richard Baker mentions the following fey'ri-houses in his Last Mythal-trilogy: Aelorothi, Almyrrtel, Dhaorothi, Ealoeth, Floshin, Ilviiri, Reithel, Ulvaerren, Ursequarra and Yesve.
Richard Baker describes some of these houses, like House Reithel, as „ancient Houses from Siluvanede“ that were strong and numerous, having been imprisoned in Nar Kerymhoarth for fifty centuries. Other houses, like House Aelorothi and House Floshin, he calls „descendant houses“ / „survivor houses“, families of daemonfey who had passed their demonic heritage down through twenty generations from the time of Siluvanede to the present time.
Are there any other ancient or descendant noble houses (or single individuals from other noble houses), who were also tainted by house Dlardrageth?

--
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2019 :  21:44:40  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, Eric, for this great lore about Siluvanede!

quote:

At its founding, Siluvanede was governed by the rule of Aronala (“the Sunspeakers”), the leaders of seven greater noble houses, who elected an Iyilitar (“First Speaker”) to rule, with the consent of the Aronala and their ever-changing mix of allies among the lesser noble houses. The reigning Iyilitar was not necessarily drawn from the ranks of the Aronala, but was always of noble birth.
Initially, the seven greater noble houses of the Aronala included House Caeletharr (gold elves), House Elphaerendil (moon elves), House Evanara (gold elves), House Ilviiri (gold elves), House Lamavarith (star elves), House Raerdrimne (gold elves), and House Teshurr (gold elves). During the reign of the third Iyilitar of Siluvanede, Tavaril “the Proud” Faerondarl, the leaders of House Elphaerendil and House Lamavarith found themselves increasing isolated by the gold elf majority of the Aronala and the increasing elitism of the predominantly gold elf population of Siluvanede. After House Elphaerendil and House Lamavarith resigned from the Aronala (the former to found Sharrven, the latter to disappear to parts unknown), the leaders of House Reithil and House Yesve (both comprised of gold elves) were elevated to the Aronala in their stead

quote:

Hello Eric,

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2019 :  01:49:25  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having fun collaborating with George on this.

--Eric

quote:

Thank you very much, Eric, for this great lore about Siluvanede!

quote:

quote:

Hello Eric,

--
Go to Top of Page

Cosmar
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2019 :  01:36:56  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:

whoa this is great. I need more!

Thanks! It was a great adventure (I forgot to mention the Bloodstone Chamber ended up in the hands of the Blood of Morueme dragons...while we were there, a band of Morueme hobgoblins led by a hobgoblin sorceress and a half-blue-dragon hobgoblin hexblade arrived with the intent of using the Circle as a new stronghold for the dragons. We were too evenly matched to defeat each other and we didn't want to be there when the actual Morueme dragons arrived, so we bargained with them to let them keep the Bloodstone Chamber in return for us taking the Song of Stillness, my father's journal and his and his dead companions' (a human Mystic Fire Knight and tiefling harper scout) personal effects (and other minor treasures). About two weeks later in-game, in Everlund (where we thwarted a Cyricist plot to take over the city using Necromantic Cysts, in which a bunch of city property was destroyed in the final battle--when the necromancer unleashed his undead army and ordered all his Cyst-infested victims to rebel--we killed the necromancer responsible, and uncovered a plot among the city elders that resulted in one elder being executed, another banished, and another voluntarily resigning, the results of which included my wizard becoming a Harper and being charged with continuing his father's work of trying to contact Myth Adofhaer with the ritual in the Song of Stillness), we heard rumors of an army of strangely superpowered hobgoblins clashing with Thousand Maws orcs...could be trouble later, but for now we've set aside the quest to contact Myth Adofhaer (and find my father) in order to enter a demiplane housing a court of unseelie fey to thwart the Daemonfey from getting something called Rain of Embers, that was apparently a superweapon of some kind used by Earlann in the Seven Citadels War (and is also tied to a Seldarine prophecy from the time of Aryvandaar regarding the downfall of Malkizid), which was taken into the demiplane (called the Vale Beyond the Veil) by "Earlann's greatest champion" (whoever that was) in an effort to stop the unseelie fey from allying with House Dlardrageth (whatever the champion did worked, since the Fey never joined the 7CW in force, but he also never returned)...so that's kind of important. And once in the Vale we don't have much time, since one tenday there equals a year on the Prime.

AAANNNYWAAY back on topic...

Eric, do you guys have any plans to stat out more villains in the book? I'm thinking specifically of Sarya Dlardrageth, for whom I've never found actual stats, just the fact that she's a half-fiend 17th level sorceress...

Edited by - Cosmar on 26 Jul 2019 01:56:50
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2019 :  12:21:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric, do you guys have any plans to stat out more villains in the book? I'm thinking specifically of Sarya Dlardrageth, for whom I've never found actual stats, just the fact that she's a half-fiend 17th level sorceress...

There are lots of villains statted out, but most of them are new or (to date) have been barely referred to in the lore.

Lady Sarya is not statted out, as she's dead in 1375 DR. However, here's a good thread with some stats for various villains in House Dlardrageth.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22817

One off-stage minor villain (minor in terms of impact on the 3 adventures) is Aumvor the Undying (see Champions of Ruin). We are trying to put equal thought into some of the new villains, albeit less powerful.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2019 :  12:26:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do love a good villain, especially the cloak and dagger kind with their fingers in all the pies.

Out of interest, will we finally find out who engineered the fall of sharrven and get more details about it

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2019 :  12:46:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I do love a good villain, especially the cloak and dagger kind with their fingers in all the pies.

There are two tiers of villains. There are several key villains who the PCs have the potential to fight and kill after a suitable amount of preamble.

There are also numerous "offstage" powerful villains who are attempting to manipulate events of interest to the PCs, often at odds with each other. The PCs are attacked indirectly by these powerful villains, but are not powerful enough (yet) to confront them directly. The idea is the DM can pick and choose which of the offstage villains to emphasize and expand upon, depending on how the campaign evolves.

The overarching plot is basically:
1) Learn about the McGuffin.
2) Go get the McGuffin.
3) Take the McGuffin to a new place where a lot of different factions are arguing over who gets to claim the McGuffin.
4) Try to navigate the factional strife to pick who keeps the McGuffin.

You can see how the offstage villains might have an important role to play.

quote:

Out of interest, will we finally find out who engineered the fall of sharrven and get more details about it

There are details about the fall of Sharrven and the villains behind it, but it's not a huge focus of the adventures. That said, one of the 3 adventures is based in a site radically reshaped by the aftermath of Sharrven's fall.

--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2019 :  02:24:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suitably vague. Good job Eric.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  09:50:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very excited about this, the high forest has been very mysterious for far too long. It will be wonderful to have Ray's of light shone on the mysteries to reveal secrets and entirely new mysteries to solve.

I'm secretly hoping for some more netheril lore as well. Between you and George, you have provided solutions to almost every question I ever had about netheril.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  10:58:00  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Very excited about this, the high forest has been very mysterious for far too long. It will be wonderful to have Ray's of light shone on the mysteries to reveal secrets and entirely new mysteries to solve.

I'm secretly hoping for some more Netheril lore as well. Between you and George, you have provided solutions to almost every question I ever had about Netheril.

There's a decent amount on Netheril. The two realms were contemporaneous for a long time.

--
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2019 :  13:15:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sarya has stats on a 2e sourcebook, Hellgate Keep. Maybe you could adapt them.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Cosmar
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2019 :  23:42:30  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There are lots of villains statted out, but most of them are new or (to date) have been barely referred to in the lore.

Lady Sarya is not statted out, as she's dead in 1375 DR. However, here's a good thread with some stats for various villains in House Dlardrageth.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22817

One off-stage minor villain (minor in terms of impact on the 3 adventures) is Aumvor the Undying (see Champions of Ruin). We are trying to put equal thought into some of the new villains, albeit less powerful.

--Eric

Thanks for the link! Those Sarya stats are great. The Gown is a little underwhelming but overall a great statblock!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2019 :  21:44:46  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to create a druid follower of Moander, but it's a bit challenging to do properly. Here's what I came up with.

I solved this problem by creating a druidic favored soul of Moander, giving them the Servant of the Fallen feat (Lost Empires of Faerun), and then giving them a new feat: Initiate of Moander.

Note that a druidic favored soul is my invention. It's a favored soul with access to the druid spell list, not the cleric spell list.

For the Initiate of Moander feat, I was trying to loosely replicate the unique spell list in Faiths & Avatars. As a result, the spell list associated with this feat is longer than most, but is play-balanced by two things: 1) Half the spells are already on the druid spell list. 2) This feat requires Servant of the Fallen.

The "Benefit" section is patterned after Dragon #337, page 45.

Initiate of Moander [Initiate]
You have been initiated into the greatest secrets of Moander’s church.
Prerequisites: Cleric, druid, or favored soul level 3rd, patron deity Moander, Servant of the FallenLEoF [Moander]
Benefit: You become immune to nausea and can no longer be nauseated or sickened.
In addition, you may add the following spells to your cleric or druid spell list.
Level
1st Grease: Makes 10-ft. square or one object slippery.
1st Rot of Ages (Dragon Magic): Cloud of rotting debris sickens or nauseates one creature, provides concealment for others.
2nd Blackrot (Complete Mage): Deal damage to plant creatures, or use wooden weapon to sicken foes.
2nd Incendiary Slime (Complete Mage): Create slippery substance like grease, but highly flammable.
3rd Handfang (Serpent Kingdoms): Touch attack deals 1d8 damage plus start a grapple as a free action with a critical hit.
3rd Infestation of Maggots (Spell Compendium): Touch attack deals 1d4 Con damage/round.
4th Evard’s Black Tentacles: Tentacles grapple all within 15 ft. spread.
4th Miasma of Entropy (Spell Compendium): Rot all natural materials in 30-ft. cone-shaped burst.
5th Memory Rot (Spell Compendium): Spores deal 1d6 Int damage to subject, plus 1 Int drain/round.
5th Spore Cloak (Races of Faerun): Clad in cloud of yellow mold spores, anyone in your space suffers 1d6 Con damage.
6th Dominate Person: Controls humanoid telepathically.
6th Pox (Fiendish Codex 1: Hordes of the Abyss): Deals 1d4 Con drain to one creature/level.
7th Slime Wave (Spell Compendium): Creates a 15-ft. spread of green slime.
8th Horrid Wilting: Deals 1d6/level damage within 30 ft.
8th Trap the Soul M,F: Imprisons subject within gem.
9th Dominate Monster: Controls humanoid telepathically.
9th Shambler: Summons 1d4+2 shambling mounds to fight for you.

Comments welcome.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 20 Aug 2019 03:55:04
Go to Top of Page

Cosmar
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  22:47:39  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really cool! Moander never got much love. Another spell that comes to mind is Death by Thorns (level 7 corrupt, Book of Vile Darkness).

What level range for PCs with this campaign span?

Edited by - Cosmar on 21 Aug 2019 22:50:12
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2019 :  12:05:07  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's really cool! Moander never got much love. Another spell that comes to mind is Death by Thorns (level 7 corrupt, Book of Vile Darkness).

What level range for PCs with this campaign span?

The intended range is 8-13 over 3 adventures, although it's quite possible that will creep up at the high end. The adventure is set in the spring of 1375 DR.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2019 :  14:55:40  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted this is a different thread in response to a question, but here it is again with a few edits under the main thread. Note this builds off George's DM's Guild article on Ilmara's Scrying Stones.

Spellglobe of Ramanath
Price (Item Level): 80,000 gp (19th)
Body Slot: — (held)
Caster Level: 10th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) divination
Activation: —
Weight: 7 lb.

This perfectly spherical, clear rock crystal is about the size of a human head and devoid of any markings.

The spellglobe of Ramanath, sometimes known as the spellglobe of spyscrying, is a unique crystal ball long sought by powerful diviners, the church of Savras, and liches across Faerûn for its unique ability to suss out the machinations of rivals. The spellglobe of Ramanath is one of a set of eight such crystal balls known as the spellglobes of Anauria. (The most famous sphere of the octet is the spellglobe of Hlithal, one of Ilmara’s scrying stones and a prized treasure of the royal house of Impiltur, lost in the Year of the Shield [1367 DR].)
Lore: Like its seven sister globes, the spellglobe of Ramanath is fashioned from a crystal unique to an Underdark cavern (reachable by a long side-trip from the drow-controlled underways nigh Shadowdale) full of such crystals contained in a giant geode whose internal surfaces are lined with them. These crystals are of the purest, “best possible” quality and readily usable to be enchanted into crystal balls. This cavern is known to dwarves and gnomes as "Damasdreir" and drow as "Dreirdal" and contains several fortunes' worth of such crystals just waiting on some adventuring group to brave the perils of the Underdark and take away all they can carry.
The eight scrying orbs known as the spellglobes of Anauria were crafted in the lost realm of Anauria, during the reign of King Thausimbel “the Wise,” and set in a chain of towers bordering the Desertsmouth Mountains. These crystal balls were crafted for the defense of the kingdom but were unable to stem the tide of orcs and other foul creatures that ravaged Anauria in the Year of Fallen Guards (111 DR). With the fall of that kingdom, the crystal balls were scattered to the winds as they fell into the hands of goblinkin, bandit raiders and human survivors of the realm who travelled to lands away from the Great Desert.
Centuries after Anauria’s fall, the spellglobe of Ramanath was acquired by the archmage Glendar of Hillsfar from the Catacombs of Claws beneath Moander’s Crypt (Modern: Yûlash), where it had been hidden by the Claws of Arlochar (see page 48). Glendar, known for inventing and creating the first wand of magical mirrors and the first rod of mirrors, spent his family’s fortune hiring adventuring parties to clear out the nearby Beast Marches. He was particularly obsessed with the destruction of medusas and basilisks, following the death of his betrothed, who was petrified and then dropped from a ledge to shatter, and used the spellglobe to uncover their lairs. Although good and noble in life, Glendar eventually embraced lichdom, in a desperate bid to stave off death before resuscitating his family’s flagging fortunes.
As a lich, Glendar began using the spellglobe of Ramanath to great effect to divine the interests of rival lichnee and then dispatch hired adventurers to purloin discovered treasures before his rivals made their move. In the Year of the Crystal Ball (776 DR), Glendar was destroyed by a maedar assassin, who imprisoned the lich in solid rock before beginning a methodical search for Glendar’s phylactery. Thieves later plundered the Hillfarian archmage’s tower, but the spellglobe of Ramanath had vanished ere their arrival.
In the Year of the Seer’s Fires (1086 DR), Bowgentle of Silverymoon, launched a daring raid on the Tomb of the Wizard-King, long hidden beneath the moors of the Fallen Lands. In the Year of Seven Spirits (-335 DR), Renduuryk the Wizard-King established the Kingdom of Seven Scryings in what is now the Fallen Lands. In the wake of Karsus’ Folly, many folk of Low Netheril flocked to Renduuryk’s self-proclaimed throne in search of safety, only to be abandoned as their Wizard-King retreated into madness in the Year of Scrying Orbs (-297 DR), consumed entirely by the need to continuously scry his enemies, both real and imagined. Bowgentle’s daring assault on the Tomb of the Wizard-King netted him a handful of magical scrying orbs, including the Spellglobe of Ramanath, which Renduuryk, now a lich, had somehow acquired.
Bowgentle (b. 1034 DR, d. 1241 DR) was a mage of gentle speech and manners, loved and revered in the North and the Sword Coast cities in his day, for he believed that magic belonged to all, and all should benefit from it. Ere his death, Bowgentle wrote down his spells for the apprentices at the School of Wonder in Amn (established in the Year of Prideful Tales [1219 DR]), and entrusted the spellglobe of Ramanath to one of the leaders of that school, Myrdon, who was a skilled diviner and devotee of Savras. After the destruction of the School of Wonder in the Year of the Leaping Frog (1266 DR), the Spellglobe of Ramanath vanished along with many other valuable items, but it was not among the treasures later appraised by the sage Laertilus of Scornubel for Vaerum, the Master Thief.
The Spellglobe of Ramanath next appeared in the Year of the Striking Falcon (1333 DR) in the village of Eveningstar in northern Cormyr. It had been recently recovered by the Company of the Silver Scales from the lair of Hlauntar, a lich who laired in or near the Haunted Halls. Members of that company claimed to be in the employ of the Church of Savras, ere they disappeared en route to Marsember, on the first leg of their journey back to the House of the All-Seeing Orb in Tashluta. One tale suggests that an illithid attacked the company while they celebrated their successes at a festhall in Immersea. If true and if knowledge of the spellglobe’s location eventually made its way back to the elder brain of Ch’Chitl, the Kingdom Below, this might suggest how the Spellglobe of Ramanath eventually made its way to Evereska, where it now lies hidden in Starshine Tower (estate of House Kerymrual) in the possession of Lord Eroan Kerymrual (see page 147).
Effect: The spellglobe of Ramanath functions in all ways as a crystal ball (see Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 253).
If used to successfully scry an individual who is concurrently scrying on a third location (by way of a spell, a spell-like ability, or a magic item), then the user of the spellglobe of Ramanath may redirect his divinations to scry the target of his first target’s scrying. In this fashion, it is possible to suss out what interests a rival and thus learn of possibilities unknown to the spyscryer.
In addition, once per day it is possible to cast enduring scrutiny through the spellglobe of Ramanath so as to be alerted when the target casts scrying or greater scrying or the target uses a magic item with that effect.
The spellglobe has the peculiar quality, common to all the Spellglobes of Anauria, in that it adheres to any surface it is placed on or against, and does not roll or fall even if it is placed against a vertical surface.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, enduring scrutiny (see page 340), scrying.
Cost to Create: 40,000 gp, 3,200 XP, 80 days.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 23 Aug 2019 14:58:57
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2019 :  17:21:03  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gem of Clarata
===========
[Based on Elves of Evermeet, pages 39-40]

The alliance of House Ahmaquissar, Hawksong, and Nightstar has its roots in the adventures of the Company of the Starry Skies, ere the fall of Eaerlann. This trio of moon elven adventurers included the fighter/rogue Lord Lysanthir Ahmaquissar of Eaerlann, the fighter / bard Lady Tiatha Hawksong of Evermeet, and the wizard Lord Qiniir Nightstar of Evermeet.
In the Year of the Jeweled Aerie (744 DR), the Company of the Starry Skies slew a white dragon while exploring the Dragontowers of Lhuve. Amidst the dragon’s rich hoard, the Company discovered a king’s tear that radiated magic. In the depths of the clear, teardrop-shaped, smooth-surfaced gem was the image of a ghostly gold elf wizardress clad in diaphanous robes. Holding the gem in a bare hand revealed the wizardress’s name to be Clarata and that she could grant the spell-like abilities of healing touchMoF, plane shift, scrying, sending, and telepathic bond.
Upon their triumphant return to Evermeet, the Company submitted the treasures they had recovered to the High Mages at the Tower of the Sun and Moon for inspection before dividing them amongst themselves. But, for reasons she could never quite explain, Lady Tiatha hid the gem of Clarata from the High Mages and kept it for herself.
In the centuries that followed, the individual members of the Company of the Starry Skies rose to prominence within their respective houses. Tiatha became Lady Speaker of the Hawksongs, following the death of her great-uncle. Qiniir studied to become a High Mage at the Towers of the Sun and Moon, before becoming Lord Speaker of his house, following the death of his grandfather. Lysanthir returned to Teuveamanthaar and a life of misadventure. After the fall of Ascalhorn, he led his family to safety in Evermeet, becoming Lord Speaker almost by default, following the deaths of so many ahead of him in the line of succession.
In the Year of Shadows (1358 DR) the Time of Troubles began with the Fall of the Gods. By chance, the disruption in the Weave hit just as the three adventurers were gathering to dinner to relive old times at Hawktowers, the Hawksong manor. The ancient magical bonds imprisoning Clarata in her phylactery collapsed just long enough for her to escape, revealing her to be an ancient Aryvandaaran ghost-lich. Clarata quickly possessed the body of Tiatha and began hurling ancient spells at all in attendance. In the ensuing spell-battle, the Grand Hall of Hawktowers was all but destroyed. Just as Clarata drained the last of the life-force from Lord Speaker Qiniir, Queen Amluruil arrived, alerted by ancient wardings to the threat at hand. She managed to put Tiatha / Clarata in suspended animation using a temporal stasis spell, as the lich flew about the hall.
In the decades since the Time of Troubles, House Hawksong has restricted access to Hawktowers to members of the royal family, House Ahmaquissar, House Hawksong, and House Nightstar, while publicly claiming that Lady Speaker Tiatha is alive and well. Lord Speaker Qiniir was mourned as a casualty of the Time of Troubles, and succeeded by his twin daughters, Lady Speakers Halaema and Saelihn Nightstar. And finally Queen Amlaruil continues to research options to restore Tiatha without unleashing the ancient ghost-lich again.

I am always hungry for elf lore. If it has to do with elves or gods, I am all over it lol.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Deepening Moon
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  22:14:20  Show Profile Send Deepening Moon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Eric,
can you tell me, if there is any link between the fey’ri and the nalfeshnee Zukothoth (who according to „Mintiper’s Chapbook Part 8: Grandfather Tree“ and „Lost Empires of Faerûn“ was a former prisoner of Runlatha’s late ruler)? Are there any ties between him and the daemonfey? Something like the connection between the tanar’ri Arcanrathnar and Lady Sarya Dlardrageth? Or didn't they have anything to do with each other?
Thank you very much in advance.

quote:

Lament of the Blue Bear

The Twelve Tribes of the Uthgardt trace their heritage back to Netherese refugees who fled Runlatha after the Fall of Netheril and the Ruathen raiders who smashed Illusk and then followed Uthgar Gardolfsson into the North. The original twelve tribes included the Black Lion, Black Raven, Blue Bear, Elk, Golden Eagle, Gray Wolf, Great Worm, Griffon, Red Pony, Red Tiger (Snow Cat), Sky Pony, and Thunderbeast tribes. The Golden Eagle and Red Pony tribes vanished into the Underdark centuries ago, but the Blue Bear tribe is the first to go extinct.
Some sages trace the fall of the Blue Bear tribe to the Mark of Zukothoth, the nalfeshnee who was said to have scored a mortal wound against the Bey of Runlatha while the warlord collapsed a cavern atop both their heads with the Axe of Berun. (...)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000