Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Under Illefarn Anew
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4561 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2019 :  17:40:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's some good advice. I will have to modify my approach a bit to use obscure references more (although I have invented an ancient empire in the same place as an existing empire before but that was to iron out consistencies). Your approach increases the amount of work required, you must have been working on illefarn anew for 10 years or more.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1656 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2019 :  01:48:01  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm devouring its contents now and I don't think I've had a day this good since George released his article on the Zulkirate of Thay.

Where can I snag this article?

ELB: This is awesome!!! Thanks!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5507 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2019 :  07:26:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Hi Eric,

It is masterful stuff, I'm in awe of the hag curse and the ghost throne and the interplay between the hidden evils and various events.

It's work like this that I've being trying to emulate for unexplored regions like unther and the Moonshaes.

So I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing a few of your secrets so that I and others can improve our craft. How do you come up with the lineages, the events like the hag curse and the sinkhole. How did you detail the nobility and the little people, and how did you come up with that rogue stone twist for the ghost throne.

Do you have a particular strategy or framework or is it unfortunately a case of pure natural talent.

Because the man is brilliant.

-- George Krashos

P.S. And sorely missed.

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5507 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2019 :  07:27:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

quote:
I'm devouring its contents now and I don't think I've had a day this good since George released his article on the Zulkirate of Thay.

Where can I snag this article?

ELB: This is awesome!!! Thanks!

Article is here:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/253571/Tyrants-in-Scarlet-the-Founding-History-of-the-Zulkirs-of-Thay

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2019 :  19:03:12  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Hi,

Short answer: Make stuff up. ;-)

Longer answer (for me) is much more complicated.

Basically, there are bunch of implicit rules for Realms design that I try to follow. I'm definitely not Ed, and don't have his gift for weaving new Realmslore out of whole cloth, so I try to follow these rules.

First off, thank you for updating Illefarn, and in particular, Daggerford, my favorite little city of the Realms.

Second, I'm in awe with your rules here. It's probably me, but I seldom if ever have enough time to put the level of detail you describe here into the adventures I create. It's not that I wouldn't or don't want to; it's just so much to have to remember, catalogue and weave together.

I suppose, for me, it would be much easier to record and remember if there were tomes we could buy, one for each region, city or major landmark, with a layout identical to The Grand History of the Realms. We could then place individual changes within the blank entries right alongside any official changes. Even better would be a program that allowed this. I suppose something like this could be done in Word or Excel. Too bad the format of TGHotR wasn't already digital.

"Intimidation is a weapon of the Legion. Intelligence is not." -Illidan Stormrage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32146 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  00:18:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

Too bad the format of TGHotR wasn't already digital.

The original version, A Grand History of the Realms, was a pdf. This is no longer available, though; Brian had to take it down when WotC bought it from him. However, I believe you can purchase a pdf of The Grand History of the Realms from DriveThruRPG.com

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  12:57:48  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a beljuril of a gem. Thank your sir.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  13:45:10  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Eric and all the contributors for a superlative piece of realmsian work. This piece of work has that elusive magic sprinkled all over it. Just like the grey box did back in 1987, which drew me in all those yeara ago. Once again a heartfelt thank you.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Edited by - Tamsar on 11 Feb 2019 13:49:00
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  21:31:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been awoken from my slumber... puny mortals... feel my wrath!

(wrath = maps LOL)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
665 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2019 :  23:08:24  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was so excited that I ordered a printed copy. They sent me 2 copies for some reason.

So, if anyone would like a free copy just pay the postage and it's yours!

https://imgur.com/a/kObPHsu

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32146 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  03:07:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I was so excited that I ordered a printed copy. They sent me 2 copies for some reason.

So, if anyone would like a free copy just pay the postage and it's yours!

https://imgur.com/a/kObPHsu

I have sent you a PM.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5507 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  07:26:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A printed copy from where?

George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
665 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  19:53:42  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

George Krashos

I custom ordered it from some online printing shop.

One copy cost $50+! But it was worth it. I can't wait to read through it.

I think I should send a courtesy copy to Eric. It's a high quality print.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1391 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  19:59:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

George Krashos

Cool idea to get it printed!

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
665 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  20:04:19  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

George Krashos

Please send me a PM so I can mail you a copy. I am happy to do so. It's the least I can do for all the work you (and others) have put into this.

Thank you again! It's amazing to hold it in my hands. I am going to put it in a 3 ring binder when I find someone who can hole punch 150+ double sided pages
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

326 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  23:07:12  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric this is absolutely wonderful. I have only skimmed it just now but I can already tell it is awesome, looks to hit the fluff to crunch balance just right. I would totally pay at least as much as I did for the last 2 5E modules likely even more since the content is just so well researched and so hit the nail on the head Forgotten Realms.

I love two things in particular: 1) The little read aloud blurbs, last few products I bought those blurbs were few and far between. 2) The number of products you reference, not only in story but also in rules, a pet peeve of mine during 3.5 was how few books referenced feats, PrCs, etc from other books.

I cannot wait to sit down and devour every bit.

P.S. A big thank you and job well down to everyone who helped and contributed to this work, especially Markustay and his "wrath".

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
665 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  23:45:09  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

George Krashos

Do you have a paypal or patreon that we can donate to?
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
136 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  11:37:45  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much Eric!

am sincerely impressed and very very grateful you shared it.

I love your professionalism, richness of ideas and the creation of interdependencies between almost forgotten shards of lore and persons.

And a big thank you to all who contributed...this is an amazingly crafted work with a level of lore I miss so sadly in 5e.

BTW... yesterday we concluded the "Eye of Myrkul" adventure which I more or less migrated to 5e. (Found it a good explanation why and how Myrkul is now back in Pantheon).
Eye of Myrkul is a perfect example, a fantastic adventure, one which enables me to spin more stories, more to uncover from it, and let the players feel how a Forgotten Realms campaign should be. Thank you so much.
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
136 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  11:46:53  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

I can imagine how time consuming the creation of such work is and how passionate someone has to be to create it.

How can I honor your work? Do you have anything published on DMSGuild?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1391 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2019 :  00:14:45  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint

Eric,

I can imagine how time consuming the creation of such work is and how passionate someone has to be to create it.

Just tell me which parts you liked best (or least). That's a great reward.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3724 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2019 :  15:52:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint

Eric,

Just tell me which parts you liked best (or least). That's a great reward.

--Eric

You modest fella.

My favorite part (as always for me) is just the additional Timeline in Dales Reckoning.

EDIT: of course Maps by MT are always awesome additions to any game!

AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 16 Feb 2019 02:07:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2019 :  01:52:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... I got confused. I thought he had released The High Forest.

The two maps sync-up PERFECTLY (there is a larger map that encompasses both, and there was a 'six book plan' at one point, detailing EVERYTHING in the NW quadrant of Faern). This was an out-growth of my own (probably annoying to Eric) desire to keep expanding the map outwards, forcing him to include stuff he was avoiding, until that second body of work grew so monumental it needed to be split-apart.

The fun part for me was completely redoing the original Under Illefarn Anew map almost two years after it was completed the first time, because not only had my skills improved, but I wanted the two maps to be able to sync-up (which meant upping the resolution quite a bit). The only way to properly do that was to create a map most folks would never see (there are LOTS of those LOL), so that I could 'correct' everything between all of the regions in The North & Sword Coast and have everything mesh perfectly (so roads trailing off the edge of the map actually went somewhere on my copy - its the only way to get those 100%).

Right now I am trying to breath life into a dead hard drive, and then we'll see whats what. I have NOTHING FR or RPG related on my new computer... its time to fix that. On the bright side, files that used to take five or more minutes to open in GIMP should open instantly now. Not to brag, but my vid card costs more than my entire old computer (which is more of a knock on how cheap my old machine was, which was only suppose to be a 'temporary replacement' for the one I lost in the fire, and I wound up using it for FIVE years).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Feb 2019 01:52:56
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1391 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2019 :  03:19:17  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, haven't released Crown of Eaerlann yet ... it may take a few years to finish, but I'm back at it again. George and I are almost done with the first 4 chapters. Only 6 chapters to go, plus 3 adventures and 3 appendices (2 of which are almost done).

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5507 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2019 :  03:39:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nope, haven't released Crown of Eaerlann yet ... it may take a few years to finish, but I'm back at it again. George and I are almost done with the first 4 chapters. Only 6 chapters to go, plus 3 adventures and 3 appendices (2 of which are almost done).

--Eric

With one hand on the wheel.

George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

326 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2019 :  07:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Right now I am trying to breath life into a dead hard drive, and then we'll see whats what. I have NOTHING FR or RPG related on my new computer... its time to fix that.

Markustay best utility for a dead hard drive is SpinRite over at grc.com its not free, think it was $89 last time. If you have hundreds of hours of work it is worth it. If it can't help you get your files no other software will. There are non-software solutions, but those are extreme.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000