Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Moonblade history?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
689 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  17:19:24  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I understood that a blade went dormant when you were the last (and unworthy) potential wielder of your House.

If there is a worthy wielder in a House, the sword will kill everyone who claims it until that worthy wielder does.

It also appears that a sword will "wait" for a worthy wielder (i.e. for the next generation) if there is no one available in the current House. This has been less well-explained in the sources though.

-- George Krashos

Didn't I just explain it?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5639 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  20:31:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I understood that a blade went dormant when you were the last (and unworthy) potential wielder of your House.

If there is a worthy wielder in a House, the sword will kill everyone who claims it until that worthy wielder does.

It also appears that a sword will "wait" for a worthy wielder (i.e. for the next generation) if there is no one available in the current House. This has been less well-explained in the sources though.

-- George Krashos

Didn't I just explain it?

Sorry Cards. Missed your illuminating response in all the excitement.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2137 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  21:31:47  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the only question we're not sure of is whether a dormant blade would become momentarily active to fry a wielder - one who is NOT the last in the family's bloodline - who tries to wield it regardless of it being dormant. For example - if Elaith tired to draw the blade AFTER if fell dormant but also AFTER he had a daughter.

I argue it would. The blade is dormant - not dead. Its purpose still holds and part of that is to only be wielded by those of the bloodline who are worthy.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

596 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  09:47:13  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a Moonblade for rogues? Not all rogues are unworthy. Not all Rogue Houses are unworthy.

Take House Ahmaquissar for example.... A House of Evermeet, mostly Moon elves, Rogues, thieves, scoundrels and tricksters. You yourself put them in the spotlight. Or starlight. Elves of Evermeet has a nice little section just for them. They all follow Erevan Ilerese, the elven deity of Mischief and rogues, change and adventure.

I can see Elaith Craulnober being fond of this House. I mean that's what Erevan Ilerese represents after all. Change... Chaos, Trickery,
misadventure and devotion to the elven people.

Like I said before in another thread....

Curudin Ahmaquissar: Trickster-Touched Moon elf male of Evermeet. CR 32; Rogue 5/ Cleric 5/ Mischiefmaker 10/ Shadowtrick Priest 10 of Erevan Ilesere. Guildmaster of the Rogues of the Laughing Midnight, Lord of Laughingshadow Tower in Everlund, Arch-Duke of The Gambol in Silverymoon, and Mischiefmaker of the north.

All titles are given, not asked for, nor wanted by Curudin.

If ever you were to make a Moonblade for a rogue NPC this is it. You could tie this in with any event within the last 200 years.

Defiant to all authority, even his own god. Curudin walks a special path. Seeking ancient elven ruins to recover his heritage, he breaks the laws of elves and beasts. Some elves say it takes a special kind of outlaw to defeat the evil they face today. Other elves say he is a curse to the good will of Corellon.

Hero of the poor, Anti-hero of the rich, Mischiefmaker to all elves. Curudin cares only for himself and The Elven People! But mostly for himself. As a Chaotic sword, in the lungs of Law, he wonders what his next misadventure may be. Shall it be wenching and drinking? Stealing and thieving? Or simply upsetting the rule of law in any town or city he happens upon? This is his passion. This is his calling. To disrupt the rule of law. Neither friend nor foe, he is all you can expect in a stranger. To misjudge Curudin is to invoke the chances of luck and chaos. Why bet on him, when he's already bet on you!

So there you go Elaine Cunningham. A perfect NPC that I give freely to you as a story line or story arc or some such. I implore you to write about such things, even if it's on the internet. If I can do it in 30 minutes, than so can you.
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

94 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  15:05:32  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found this thread thanks to Copper Elven Vampire's bump.

I'd vote for all of the above. I'd buy it whether it's POD or PDF. I'd prefer more story/lore than mechanics.
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  20:06:33  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Ms. Cunningham's novel "Elfshadow", chapter 7, pgs. 108-109, Danilo is speaking to Arilyn and mentions he wishes polish up her weapons. As his hand approaches the moonblade's sheath, he is struck by a "spark of blue light" that blackens the fingertip, but does not draw blood.

This seems to fit in with what Arilyn said earlier in the novel… that the moonblade would not function, as a weapon OR an artifact, against an innocent. Since it is difficult to imagine that Danilo Thann is “innocent”, I will assume this really means that the blade will not function as a weapon or artifact against a non-threatening, and non-evil, person.

So, how does this fit in with the known lore of Moonblades? Is it possible that this “spark of blue light” came from the sheath, and not the blade?
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  20:11:11  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

How about a Moonblade for rogues? Not all rogues are unworthy. Not all Rogue Houses are unworthy.

Take House Ahmaquissar for example.... A House of Evermeet, mostly Moon elves, Rogues, thieves, scoundrels and tricksters. You yourself put them in the spotlight. Or starlight. Elves of Evermeet has a nice little section just for them. They all follow Erevan Ilerese, the elven deity of Mischief and rogues, change and adventure.

I can see Elaith Craulnober being fond of this House. I mean that's what Erevan Ilerese represents after all. Change... Chaos, Trickery,
misadventure and devotion to the elven people.

Like I said before in another thread....

Curudin Ahmaquissar: Trickster-Touched Moon elf male of Evermeet. CR 32; Rogue 5/ Cleric 5/ Mischiefmaker 10/ Shadowtrick Priest 10 of Erevan Ilesere. Guildmaster of the Rogues of the Laughing Midnight, Lord of Laughingshadow Tower in Everlund, Arch-Duke of The Gambol in Silverymoon, and Mischiefmaker of the north.

All titles are given, not asked for, nor wanted by Curudin.

If ever you were to make a Moonblade for a rogue NPC this is it. You could tie this in with any event within the last 200 years.

Defiant to all authority, even his own god. Curudin walks a special path. Seeking ancient elven ruins to recover his heritage, he breaks the laws of elves and beasts. Some elves say it takes a special kind of outlaw to defeat the evil they face today. Other elves say he is a curse to the good will of Corellon.

Hero of the poor, Anti-hero of the rich, Mischiefmaker to all elves. Curudin cares only for himself and The Elven People! But mostly for himself. As a Chaotic sword, in the lungs of Law, he wonders what his next misadventure may be. Shall it be wenching and drinking? Stealing and thieving? Or simply upsetting the rule of law in any town or city he happens upon? This is his passion. This is his calling. To disrupt the rule of law. Neither friend nor foe, he is all you can expect in a stranger. To misjudge Curudin is to invoke the chances of luck and chaos. Why bet on him, when he's already bet on you!

So there you go Elaine Cunningham. A perfect NPC that I give freely to you as a story line or story arc or some such. I implore you to write about such things, even if it's on the internet. If I can do it in 30 minutes, than so can you.

A most remarkable post.
Go to Top of Page

Cosmar
Seeker

38 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2019 :  23:24:19  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine! To answer your original question, I think all of those would be fun to read about, but I particularly would be interested in hooks for lost/unclaimed blades, bits of short fiction to illuminate the history of certain wielders, and recent history/ current state/future of elven monarchy. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000