Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Waterdeep: Dragon Heist & Dungeon of the Mad Mage
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31389 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2018 :  14:48:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ed wrote a post-Spellplague Waterdeep “bible” for WotC for the Ed Greenwood Presents ... novel series. I’m assuming that forms the basis of this product.

— George Krashos

I still want to get my hands on that, even though I know parts of it are no longer valid.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

280 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2018 :  20:45:16  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So has anyone gotten their copy yet? Mine is still a few days out in the post. But online reviews seem promising.

Though I did notice they have a stylized Yawning Portal... bad picture. So now we have yet another layout, apparently there are 3 floors of bar? Maybe they did renovations.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7374 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2018 :  00:50:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah, it had been over 100 years.... I can see renovations.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3010 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  02:26:30  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a copy on Wednesday. It was fun putting names to faces!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
235 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2018 :  16:27:43  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is still on the way !

"Show some respect!" the draegloth thundered. "You adress High Priestess Quenthel Baenre, Mistress of Arach-Tinilith, Mistress of the Academy, Mistress of Tier Breche, First Sister of House Baenre of Menzoberranzan... you insolent dog!"
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

280 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2018 :  06:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright I have mine in hand. Take everything with a grain of salt since I haven't read every page yet. The text description of the Yawning Portal and the more realistic art in the book still have the bar/well as only on the first floor. So I'm guessing the cartoony art was just to be able to fit all those NPCs.

Overall the book has a lot of good content and some interesting Waterdeep info. All the walking statues are named and described, I think that is a first. 20+ holidays are listed and described, many of which I'm sure we have info on already but they are all gathered in one place and there may be a new one or two in there. Coinage has been updated a bit and has some nice pictures. The book is full of great art throughout, a few double page spreads.

Secret Lords and noble houses are left out mostly, aside from one noble house that can be chosen as the main villain. The book does focus on the current power struggles in the city with several groups of influence. Even the Lord's Alliance is used in the adventure a bit which I always thought was an underused/underrepresented in the past. And the guilds do play some minor roles here and there.

The adventure, not a heist at all but a treasure hunt, seems like it will be fun. But after the first chapter you need a good DM to pull all the content together. Picking one of four villains and each villain getting their own season is nice. I really wish we got to play out an adventure over the course of a year and see ALL the seasons and thwart multiple villains. The adventure isn't replayable but it does leave you with extra content you can use for other things.

Overall the book has a lot of details but the lore seems a bit shallow, there is a lot packed into these pages but it is by no means a must have book for Waterdeep. If you would like to run the quest, the updated info on the city is nice. If you don't care for the quest you are probably better off buying Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and getting most the same updated info, without stats (who needs those), plus info for many other areas.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1083 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2018 :  20:32:35  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

ah, it had been over 100 years.... I can see renovations.

There is not much really. The FRCG says besides they new four Wards, the old maps are useful for current Waterdeep. It seems that hasn't changed in 5e ¨—well, is only ten years since 4e, so... plus, most NPCs from 3.x are still alive, so not even changes in NPCs...

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000