Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Moander ... Returning to the 5E Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31636 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  12:22:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

Hmm, but I guess Wooly that you intended Moathan to be god of Life, Death and Rebirth, not connected to the sun?

Pretty much the entire natural cycle of life -- birth, growth, death and rebirth. And not death as the cessation of life, but as a step along the natural cycle, leading to new life.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7593 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  02:17:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

Hmm, but I guess Wooly that you intended Moathan to be god of Life, Death and Rebirth, not connected to the sun?

Pretty much the entire natural cycle of life -- birth, growth, death and rebirth. And not death as the cessation of life, but as a step along the natural cycle, leading to new life.

Much as Selune split Tyche, perhaps Amaunator split Moathan.... and ended up absorbing a portion of him in the aftermath. Thus, the rebirth aspect.

Hmmmm, actually if there was some kind of conflict between Amaunator and Moathan.... then the sun "decayed out" and was reborn as a new sun... there could be something here.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Seeker

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  13:55:12  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snow

There's not a lot of Candlekeep scrolls dedicated to the discussion of the deceased (albeit, with a hitch) god, Moander.

While Moander the Darkbringer was decisively destroyed and replaced by Finder Wyvernspur during the ToT, a few official canon sources have indicated that the Jawed God is still hanging on by a thread in a severely reduced form while he floats adrift on the Astral Plane. References include:

1. Volo's Guide to the Dalelands [2E] - At least a portion of Moander's power and sentience is still imprisoned in Darkwatch.

2. Powers of Faerun [3E - P. 117] - There is a flickering sentience of the 'dead' god" which has awakened. To be fully restored requires this spark to be fed more power (the likes of another avatar or a couple Chosen, etc).

3. Lost Empires of Faerun [3E P. 9] - The Servant of the Fallen feat mentions Moander as a possible patron deity. Okay, this may be a stretch, but it kinda implies that there's a glimmer of sentience left in the Darkbringer.

... and as of 3E, Lolth was reported to still be granting spells to the few remaining members of the Rotting God's clergy.

So my question to all of you is ... how would you see Moander returning back to the generous "deity recall" of 5E Forgotten Realms?

I realize it is perhaps odd for a woman like me to be intrigued with such an icky god. But the botanist and horticulturist in me finds the inevitableness of organic rotting and decay in the Cycle of Life ... to require a god properly befitting of that title. And Finder just doesn't do it for me (thematically). So yeah, I want the Big Lug back.

On my point of view, I'm more interested to keep him as a threat can could be resurrected by some fanatic found here and there sometimes. This is I play the Moander threat on my campaign as GM.

I don't know if finding him back again alive in the pantheon could be so beneficial

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet."
Go to Top of Page

OliverWyvernspur
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  16:33:33  Show Profile  Visit OliverWyvernspur's Homepage Send OliverWyvernspur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The deal with Moander was a forced thing. Ao decided he was a threat to all of Realmspace a bunch of other Gods joined in but mostly I took most of the damage effects brunt and everything. It had to be me because I may
have been the only Supreme Greater Power(God) at the time. Moander's true form is trapped in Shatterstone by Ao, it's power will always be halfed.

e
Go to Top of Page

OliverWyvernspur
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  18:44:41  Show Profile  Visit OliverWyvernspur's Homepage Send OliverWyvernspur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moander vampirized a bunch of creatures and gods during The Second Godswar, and gorged on Finder, making him at the same status as Ao, Savras, Deep Duerra's father,
and Anhur, which is indeed is old position, but none of it was his original stuff, only the status. I'm speaking Faerunian pantheon here, Moander is an amulgamation of many pantheons, all he does is shrink or grow.

e
Go to Top of Page

OliverWyvernspur
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2018 :  21:20:03  Show Profile  Visit OliverWyvernspur's Homepage Send OliverWyvernspur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All elves despise Moander, even Drow and The Dark Seldarine.

e
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000