Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood on Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:00:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On divine sustenance:

@RedNoBlue

How do Gods sustain themselves through belief? Is there an independent power they can draw on, apportioned to them by Ao’s rule based on the number of followers they have? Or is belief itself the energy, a form of psychic emanation that the Gods feed on (for want of a better term). If so, how does it bridge such large gaps?

@TheEdVerse

Worship (NOT belief; in the Realms, all sane sentient beings “believe in” ALL of the deities) is a catalyst enabling deities to access more (or less) of the natural energies of a world/plane that I referred to in an earlier reply (wind, tides and currents, sunlight, heat, and so on).

Ao has nothing directly to do with this, and it’s not based on numbers of followers, but on amount and quality (fervence of devotion) of actual worship: prayers, deeds dedicated to the god/done while calling on the god (“Odin, guide my arm!”), offerings, etc. Deities can call on the energies of the plane where they make their home (the part of it they rule and have reshaped to their their preferences) and the energies of Toril, where they are venerated: when they manifest (send visions or voices or even avatars), it’s a two-way street: these ‘sendings’ are also sponges absorbing the energy of worship and transmitting back to the deity. Again, it’s a catalyst allowing them to access more world-energies. They CAN feed on it directly, but in doing so they consume it so it isn’t still extant to be a catalyst, so they can’t use it as such to absorb more world-energies.
#Realmslore

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:49:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On dragonborn and genasi in Luruar:

@ZeromaruX

Hi, @TheEdVerse I have a quick question for you.

According to the 4e Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, there was a significant minority of dragonborn and genasi in Luruar. Is this info still true in the 1490s?

Thanks in advance

@TheEdVerse

Genasi seem to be rare in that region in the 1490s DR, and dragonborn fewer.

There was much Spellplague tumult, and deaths, and fleeing to places folk had heard (or hoped) were in better shape, so although many folk were killed in the Spellplague and its aftermath, that doesn’t mean the “missing” dragonborn and genasi are dead; they may very well just have gone elsewhere (likely south and inland).
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:50:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a dragon, in human form, reverting after death:

@Artie_Pavlov

Question about dragons @TheEdVerse. If a dragon gets killed in her human shape. Does she revert back to her natural form? #dnd #dungeonsanddragons #Realmslore

@TheEdVerse

This is one of those queries that gets the infamous “It depends” answer. In this case, on the circumstances of the death. (Or the story needs of the DM/writer/game designer. ;} ) However, this is something that has come up in the home Realms campaign twice, and both times I as DM ruled the same way that (unbeknownst to me at the time) Gary Gygax had once answered such a query: yes, the dead dragon does revert at least partially (again, depending on the circumstances). So things could get interesting if space/volume or weight/mass are concerns. Reversion does occur past the point at which observers can tell at a glance this is NOT “just” a dead human (scales, etc.).
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:52:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Elminster playing D&D:

@Greysil_Tassyr

It occurred to me that if El was translating stuff into game terms, for Volo's Guides, he must know the game pretty well... Does he play D&D? Does he have a favorite class? How about any of the other Chosen, or those wizards that used to gather in your living room?

@TheEdVerse

Heh. El does know D&D pretty well, but is always pestering me to get that “Papers & Paychecks” RPG from the cartoon. He thinks all the D&D classes are “more than a little skewed” but that players portraying wizards “are all too often SO immature; can’t wait to blow things up. That’s a LAST resort; REAL wizards learn to menace, and impress, and get others to do things out of FEAR they’ll hurl a fireball. Children, these days. What’s that expression ye use? They should all get off ALL lawns.”

As for the other Chosen: they prefer Euro-builder games, or at least compete-to-do-more, faster games like LORDS OF WATERDEEP. They like to create things, not fight.

Dalamar likes first-person shooters, I suspect because they let him cut loose. Mordenkainen likes card games that involve bluffing, like poker. He likes to play against seasoned old ladies, because “I can respect them. In some cases, even fear them. Worthy foes.”
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:53:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Elminster versus Mordenkainen:

Aug 8, 2020

@arakan94

Who do you think would win in combat (taking place in Realms)? El or Mordenkainen?

@TheEdVerse

Heh. I get asked this weekly. El recently nursed Mordy back to mental health (see my novels) and so knows his mind and has pathways into it, and the contest is taking place in the Realms where the Weave is everywhere and El is a Weavemaster: so El wins, hands down.
#Realmslore

@arakan94

And how about in past? Before Spellplague or even before Time of Troubles? Would that be different? Someone also said that Mordy has copy of every magical item in existence and studied them...

Also, I am reading your novels right now and having a blast...

@TheEdVerse

It wouldn’t be different in the Realms, within the Weave. (On Oerth, I’d put my money on Mordy.) As for Mordy having every magic item: Hah! Pure piffle propaganda! He hasn’t lived enough years to even lay eyes on them all, if they were handed to him by a long line of trudging servants, let alone go and get them and try to use them. Mordy thoroughly understanding how enchantments can best be combined within an item, yes, that claim I’d buy.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:54:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Elminster's visits to Earth:

@SirWiseGuy

Can you please relate any more tales of Elminster's visits to Earth please? More stories of a vaguely friendly visitor would be soothing in these troubled times.

@TheEdVerse

Sure. :}

Recently, El wanted a ride in a canoe on a placid northern Ontario lake, and got one.
He now knows that standing up in a canoe and LEANING is a good way to get wet. Luckily for him, he knows a spell that can expel all excess water from clothing, hair, and body. Unluckily for me, the magic just hurls a wet mist out in all directions. Yuck.

Several visits: El loves lightning storms, and striding over the gently manicured hills of golf courses with his staff held high, getting struck repeatedly by lightning. DON’T TRY THIS; he’s an archwizard and foolhardy to boot.

Some old camping glades survive in some of Toronto’s ravine parks (log seats in a ring, well away from the paved paths and manicured areas). Lots of teenagers discover these, and so, in these COVID times, have some local fantasy and sf fans and writers, who get together to drink and chat from afternoons until moondown in the wee hours (safely distanced). Far from me, a hundred-some miles east out in the countryside, I’m afraid, but El remembered their moots, and attended. In disguise as, well, me. (!)

He assures me he behaved, and told me he loves the energy, idealism, crazy ideas and passionate discussions of them, and the youthful cynicism, too (“so CUTE,” he deemed it).

El also confessed to attending—in a different guise—a not-yet-released-TTRPG playtest in a Toronto-area basement.

“Their ideas of magic are so TWISTED,” he told me.

“Cthulhu twisted?” I asked.

“Worse,” he said darkly.

And of course the Old Mage made his usual raids on my larder and wine cellar. No ice cream (I’m being a good diabetic; El did NOT approve), and he found some of the libations I procured for my library ladies (co-workers at the day job) bewildering (as in: “Folk DRINK this cr—stuff? WILLINGLY?”), but enjoyed others (leaving me a heap of empty bottles). He also read some of the novels I’m working on, and found them HILARIOUS.

Some were even meant to be funny.

I’ll add this: having seen many folks wearing masks to guard against the coronavirus, El can’t understand why we don’t all seize the opportunity to wear plague doctor masks or wilder face coverings with snouts and so on.

“Folk in your world need to PLAY more,” he told me, “and not just when they’re young. Life is too short to stop having fun.” He then used a spell to conjure up pies and started a pie fight. My cat was NOT impressed.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:54:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On elven menstruation:

Aug 29, 2020

@Kendradream

this is a weird question, but I was wondering about, well, how often elves have to deal with menstruation. Is it monthly, like humans (living centuries with monthly bleeding lol)? Also, what is the typical age they start?

@TheEdVerse

Elves start menstruating at around the same age as humans (i.e. it varies from individual to individual, but they are physically maturing in their “teens,” though “teenaged” is not a term known in the Realms), and remain fertile until death, but many elves can precisely control their personal fertility (when they become pregnant, or when they fertilize another) so as not to bring young into the world in times of personal peril. Many elven parents use magic to prevent their young children conceiving before “adulthood” (the decades between puberty and being considered an adult by self and others). This magic, and this personal control, include control over menses (so, yes, a female elf who has such control can “stop her period” and/or render herself temporarily infertile, at will). Most fey (korreds, for example) have a close understanding of, and control over, their bodies and some bodily functions. (And therefore, far less shame and embarrassment than many humans do, over everything from farting and vomiting to masturbation and sexual arousal.)
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:55:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On elven reincarnation:

@Kendradream

in a previous tweet, you mentioned reincarnation was rare. What about elves? I know they have believed in reincarnation, but I always thought Arvandor was a final reward where elven spirits dwell. MToF paints it as a "waystation" for elven souls.

@TheEdVerse

Reincarnation for elves can happen, but is exceedingly rare. It’s usually seen as a penance for rights that must be wronged (in the new life), or “I can’t be happy in Arvandor until this unfinished business is dealt with,” and said unfinished business often involves avenging family or mate or close friends.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:56:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On elven body art:

Oct 11, 2020

@jayeedgecliff

@TheEdVerse moon elves, with their very pale skin and some having such pale hair too … I’m kinda wondering how common & how received are “alt” looks? Hair colours, especially odd or multi sort, piercings, tattoos … etc.

What would they use for the dyes too if you don’t mind?

@TheEdVerse

Moon elves tend to be very expressive, and that includes unusual hairdos and dying. Tattoos not common, but henna and other body painting (tattoos that fade and wear off and can be redrawn or replaced with different) popular. Forest berry, leaf, and bark dyes (see Amarune's Almanac 1: Forests of the Realms) such as blueleaf, flamebriar, and rowan are used, mixed with various saps and oils as carrier agents, for hair, nails, and body paint as well as textiles. Piercings are very rare among elves when metal is involved (when it is, it's usually electrum, or alloys of silver that won't readily tarnish); more often, elven piercings involve a bone from a revered ancestor or lost loved one.

Eyeshadow, and symbols painted around an eye, are favorite moon elf adornments.
#Realmslore

@LeslieCourtne14

How does this differ from sun elves, Ed?

The vast majority of sun elves go for gilded or bronzed (tans or cosmetic) bodily beauty and perfection, not alt or “goth” looks. They want to impress with how beautiful their bodies (and expensive, often-revealing garments) are, not how startling/”different” they can look. (So think of all the real-world TV elegant, Euro-style expensive fragrance commercials, and the A-list actress and celebs who appear in them, and that’s more what sun elves strive for.) Sun elves tend to have more overt vanity.

Both my moon and sun elf descriptions on this topic are of course stereotypes, and may break down entirely when applied to any individual elf, adventurers in particular.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:56:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Evergold:

Aug 7, 2020

@RidianG

Evergold, the Fountain of Beauty, the Fountain of Youth,or the Fountain of Youth and Beauty. Is it really the actual source of all elven and eladrin beauty? What would happen if it were destroyed, corrupted or clogged up so to speak?

Is it also the source of their longevity?

@TheEdVerse

No, Evergold isn’t the source of all elven or eladrin beauty or longevity. It is a nigh-pure-energy cleanser and renewer for ALL life, divine or mortal. It can’t be successfully clogged up or destroyed except in one place — because to destroy, bury, or block it in one place just causes it to move to another. It can’t be corrupted/tainted/contaminated except momentarily and in a very small area, because it cleans, purifies, or expels (literally teleporting every atom of the intruding substance elsewhere) whatever’s being used to try to dirty it. It never exists in just one place at once, so even trying to reach all parts of it at the same time, across the many planes of existence, is very difficult (remember, many of its locations are guarded by deities and/or their servitors, and enchantments they have ringed such locales with) — and the deities linked to it can also be vessels and conduits for it to move to yet other places

So attempts to destroy, corrupt, or clog it are very likely to fail. Elminster believes that if one succeeded, Evergold would just manifest (come into being) elsewhere, unheralded (though the deities linked to it would all be able to sense its direction and distance from them, and so readily find it).
#Realmslore

@AceofDragons1

“It can’t be successfully clogged up or destroyed except in one place—“

What place would that be, please?

@TheEdVerse

I meant whatever place it was thus attacked in. One of the places it can be found, not a sole specific location.
#Realmslore

@AceofDragons1

Oh, I see. My mistake, then.

Thanks for all you (and Elminster) do, by the way. It’s greatly appreciated.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  21:57:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On giant names:

@Bear_Jew67

Greetings @TheEdVerse! I hope you are feeling well. I would like to ask for your help with regard to any Giant names, official or unofficial, that you might use or have used in past products. I want to color the current adventure I am working on for my players. Thanks!

@TheEdVerse

Sure. It’ll take me a day or so to find my old notes, so first, Storm Giant’s Thunder gives us these giant names (I may be missing a few):

Cloud Giant
Male: Blagothkus, Cressaro, Eigeron, Kaaltar, Thullen, Vaal, Zephyros

Cloud Giant
Female: Alastrah, Sansuri

Fire Giant
Male: Zaltember, Zalto
Female: Brimskarda, Cinderhild, Tartha

Frost Giant
Male: Gurt, Harshnag, Storvald
Female: Hellenhild

Hill Giant
Male: Cog, Hruk, Tug
Female: Guh, Moog

Stone Giant
Male: Braxow
Female:
Kayalithica

Storm Giant
Male: Hekaton, Nimir, Orlekto, Uthor
Female: Mirran, Nym, Serissa, Shaldoor, Vaasha
#Realmslore

@TheEdVerse

And here are my giant names, or rather, my more recent notes (still can’t find the fifty-year-old ones):

Cloud Giant
Male: Ahdaug, Arltulk, Durvaskr, Krokr, Kurruk, Lhammurt, Vorskar
Female: Agatra, Dagna, Dakkra, Dyrdiss, Eistla, Faena, Faenra, Haelda, Laugra, Yastra, Ystrid

Fire Giant
Male: Fforl, Ffuldr, Fulluk, Hauk, Hulbro, Ilkurt, Snarr, Zund, Zundr
Female: Edrelle, Emba, Ffaelane, Ghenjra, Hulda, Lukue, Marra, Vrolka
#Realmslore

Frost Giant
Male: Fulvragg, Helmskag, Oraldr, Oskorri, Skane, Svolm, Ulfur, Uttir, Valkurl
Female: Folka, Gauthild, Geira, Grymra, Haelgra, Helmra, Hrimma, Imbra, Magra, Vulkara

Hill Giant
Male: Dagg, Gulk, Hogl, Hond, Hund, Kuld, Lodd, Teldo, Vruk, Usgut
Female: Ardis, Bora, Dis, Gulkra, Gylla, Laha, Nelmyr, Telda, Teldra, Tora, Vaere

Stone Giant
Male: Falkh, Hundar, Korlgar, Kuljarn, Sulfulkh, Valgusk, Vorold, Yulhamur
Female: Beldra, Gillauga, Gurdis, Moada, Oskra, Ragnara, Rakra, Skarla, Woave, Zarka

Storm Giant
Male: Gautarr, Harrdiir, Ilknarr, Kuruth, Ogmoth, Ogmund, Ormmur, Torune, Ulvulk
Female: Geironal, Helgyra, Hornarra, Mistfast, Relsif, Silkarra, Sparraxe, Talnut, Wynd, Yimmra
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000