Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1465 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2019 :  17:23:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Filth

Do you think he'd still be a Wizard? Or is he closer to Sorcerer?

Flamsterd would definitely be a wizard and a sage or the original reference to him wouldn't make sense.

Pages from the Mages, page 88:

"The sage Flamsterd, of the Moonshae Isles, purchased The Workbook from a band of adventurers, and carefully copied its contents. He later sold the secrets of several of The Work- book#146;s spells for very great sums of gold, and purchased the en- tire island that now bears his name. His enjoyment of the isle was short. It is thought that one of his clients guessed what the sage possessed, for one night the sage and his entire Tower, on the leeward side of the island, simply vanished. Others believe the sage came to grief while practicing magic. Still others hold that he left this plane of existence.
No sudden rise in power was noted among those of the Art, however, and it is thought that The Workbook may have been lost or destroyed. Installments of Flamsterd#146;s personal diaries, the Moonshae Chronicles, were sent regularly from the sage#146;s isle to his friend Elminster, and in one was set down the entire text of The Wizards' Workbook."

(And yes, I know that that this text first appeared in Dragon magazine, AJA! That's why it predates FR2 - The Moonshaes, even though Pages from the Mages was published after FR2. :-) )

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1465 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2019 :  17:28:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Flamsterd's class, the simplest thing in 3.5e would probably be to make him something like a wizard 18 or wizard 20. You could consider giving him the archmage prestige class (e.g. wizard 15 / archmage 5).

However, if you are playing 3.5e and if you think Flamsterd is from the Moonshaes originally (as opposed to being an interloper from Faerun), then you might consider giving him the arcane hierophant prestige class (Races of the Wild). I think that's a great generic prestige class to "reserve" for wizards from the Moonshaes within the Realms. "Court Wizard of Callidyr" might be the Realmsian name.

Personally, I suspect Flamsterd's an interloper from Faerun, and therefore the prestige class doesn't make sense, but it depends on what you want to do in your campaign.

Here's what I did for Mab, formerly of Daggerford and tangentially tied to Flamstered in the write-up George and I did of Under Illefarn Anew:

"Mab (NG male Tethyrian wizard 3 / druid 3 / arcane hierophantRoW 12) was born in the kingdom of Callidyrr on the island of Alaron in the Moonshae Isles in the Year of the Black Wind (1262 DR). He rose to a senior position on the High King’s Council of Mages, only to be accused of treason, stripped of his spellbooks, and banished in the Year of the Broken Helm (1302 DR). After making his way to Waterdeep aboard a caravel, accompanied only by his ward, Gwydion pen Dafwyd, Mab was given an audience at Blackstaff Tower with Khelben Arunsun, who had been warned of his impending arrival by the reclusive archmage, Flamsterd. (Flamsterd, who hailed from the City of Splendors, could not disobey the order of the High King, but felt Mab did not deserve his banishment and reached out to the Blackstaff on his behalf.) Khelben then recommended Mab for the then vacant position of Court Wizard of Daggerford, and provided him with a set of spelltomes and other items of magic necessary to serve in that position."

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 24 Aug 2019 17:29:53
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

48 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2019 :  17:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very comprehensive, and prompt. Thanks!

I think, for the purposes of this module, I'll stick with "...carries whatever spells and items the DM wishes to give him", with a note that his spell repertoire includes Forget and Time Stop.

Kind of odd, though, that an NPC of his power level went completely under the 3.5 radar.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2019 :  19:35:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, in Black Wizard there is mention of Ginyak Weed, a drug that is becoming a growing problem in Callidyrr. It comes from Calimshan and is presumably smoked.

Now in modern times its quite normal to import and export drugs to other countries (England did it to conquer China 150 years ago), but i figure in medieval times you would trade valuable commodities and leave the drug running to private enterprise.
Therefore i need an organisation with a growing presence in the Moonshae Isles and with a penchant for drug running. I initially thought the Cult of the Dragon (because the Zhentarim seem conspicuously absent from the Moonshae Isles), and then after looking into it further i noted that the Cult of the Dragon is almost completely unmentioned in Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan.
There are supposedly a few cells in Amn (one in north eastern Amn in the snakewood) but its all undetailed, and there is the mention of Shard in Calimshan who will be turned very soon following a near fatal encounter with another dragon.
The most interesting mention was that Sapphariktar the Blue (of the Twisted Rune) is in possession of one of the Blades of Ochir Naal and it is implied that he is running his own Cult of the Dragon cell. So i'm guessing that the Cult of the Dragon in Calimshan is actually a false (not true cult of the dragon) cell which has a different ideology to other cults and serves only Sapphariktar the Blue (i doubt there is even any mention of Sammaster in their ideology).

So Fake Cult of the Dragon cell in the Moonshae Isles running drugs from Calimshan to the islands that acts as spies for the Twisted Rune in the Sword Coast North.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  19:49:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So i'm up to detailing Kressilacc.

I've got Koraxis the Ravening Maw to explain Bhaal's association with the sahuagin. I figure by pure chance it uses similar symbology and so Hobarth and the king of kressilacc strike up an accord (through the mirrors) believing they both serve the same deity.

I'll have to come up with another name, a corruption of Talos, to explain why Kressilacc later converts to worship of a Talos like deity (symbology and naming conventions could come from captured norl and illuskan sailors).

The big beef i have with Kressilacc at the moment is that this kingdom of sahuagin, located within the sea of Moonshae, surrounded by all the Moonshae Isles, is ruled by sea trolls from the coral kingdom.

Now according to the books the Coral Kingdom is located 1000 miles south of Corwell which looking at some of Markustay's maps (the only one i could find with a key) puts that kingdom way past Chult.

So how does a kingdom of sea trolls so far away control the kingdom of Kressilacc, it would take months of travel to get that far. Even if it were portals that allowed the sea trolls easy access to kressilacc, i would imagine the sahuagin (notoriously violent and difficult to control) would fight to secure control of those portals and stop the trolls coming through.

Apparently the elves fought a war with the Coral Kingdom long ago using underwater boats, but i'm not aware of any surface elven kingdoms (except the drow) that are located that far south. Presumably Evermeet is the nation that fought with the sea trolls, but it is difficult to envisage why or how those to nations would have conflict given the extreme distance.

My initial thought is that the book was wrong in its location, after all, the ffolk likely have rudimentary methods of cartography and wayfinding, so their estimate of distance and direction could be way off, especially since none of the ffolk have ever been there before. The ffolk that did travel there had been through storm and constant pursuit and it is quite possibly they lost their bearings.
I'd be more tempted to put the Coral Kingdom west of the Moonshae Isles, far enough away to mean that they (sea trolls) are not spoken of much in the Moonshae Isles, but not so far away that a large number could not arrive in Kressilacc after that nation suffered a brutal defeat and swiftly subjugate the kingdom.

Any thoughts?

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 03 Sep 2019 19:50:04
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5553 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  10:30:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you've answered it below, haven't you?

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

So i'm up to detailing Kressilacc.

The big beef i have with Kressilacc at the moment is that this kingdom of sahuagin, located within the sea of Moonshae, surrounded by all the Moonshae Isles, is ruled by sea trolls from the coral kingdom.

It is exactly that. Ruled by sea trolls. As in, sea trolls in the flesh. About 100 of them lead by Tagrash "the Blackjaw", a scion of the ruling scrag clan, who dominate the sahuagin, slaying a few every once in a while to keep them to heel. The sahuagin hate the scrag but know that if they turn on this group, then the whole weight of the Coral Kingdom will come down on them like it did way back back when they were subjugated.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 04 Sep 2019 10:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  10:56:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a bad explanation, the names always help convince me. It would have to be a nearby portal that allowed travel for reinforcements to arrive to make the threat real.

Perhaps I can link this to iakhovas at a later, if I recall correctly something in the story involved travel to chult.

The next big question is where these portals came from and why they were created. I don't think we have any batrachi portals detailed yet. The sahuagin live in a big trench that is over 1000 feet deep which I think rules out sea elves, but could be a former Triton place.

Cheers for the help George.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 04 Sep 2019 10:57:51
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  11:04:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and the scrag arrival would have to be relatively recent (past 300 years or so which is a long time to the short lived sahuagin), because of Eric Boyd's myth of Angus macodrum which hints that the sea elves destroyed kressilacc at some point and I figure sahuagin nations rise and fall quite regularly.

I'm wondering why the scrags conquered kressilacc, what's in it for them. Coss-Axell-Sinioth seems a good instigator for the conquest, using easily manipulated trolls to subjugate the more volatile sahuagin. As an ancient undersea power (in his kraken form) he could be working with slarkrathel against iakhovas (forming an alliance of undersea nations to combat the growing threat of iakhovas' forces (I vaguely recall reading in a sourcebook that there was a big war going on in the tackles sea as a result of iakhovas' actions)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  08:23:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randomly reading through the sea devils sourcebook and found their myth and physiology section very interesting. They evolved from elves perhaps but predate sea elves.

So I'm using my alternate timelines theory for the history in the evermeet novel to explain sahuagin origin, using a city of elves far to the south that was submerged. Renaming the Deepglass of Flamsterd to the Deepglass of Anarliss honour of the first sahuagin

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

80 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  15:17:59  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gary,

I think we chatted a while ago about Ityak-Ortheel. Here's my commissioned artwork, in case you were collecting "All Things Moonshae" images (for personal, non-commercial use).

Here's the artist's page:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rRYOQe

I modified that to add it to a 'parchment' and some notes on the page spread in my upcoming release:
https://i.imgur.com/iYQ0hSE.png

thanks,
Jim
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  19:22:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim,

That's looks pretty good, I repurposed ityak ortheel to have a slightly different origin but if you don't mind I'll still use the image for the carnivorous islands I used in place of the elf eater

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1465 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  19:31:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So Fake Cult of the Dragon cell in the Moonshae Isles running drugs from Calimshan to the islands that acts as spies for the Twisted Rune in the Sword Coast North.

It could be even more pedestrian. He could simply be running drugs to increase the size of his hoard.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1465 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  19:35:55  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Filth

Very comprehensive, and prompt. Thanks!

I think, for the purposes of this module, I'll stick with "...carries whatever spells and items the DM wishes to give him", with a note that his spell repertoire includes Forget and Time Stop.

Kind of odd, though, that an NPC of his power level went completely under the 3.5 radar.

... and Flamsterd's Flamestrike. (See FA1 - Halls of the High King, page 51.)

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  20:23:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

It could be even more pedestrian. He could simply be running drugs to increase the size of his hoard.

--Eric

Well drugs in and of themselves could be just drugs, but it ignores the opportunity to explain the presence of an already established evil organisation (the cult of the dragon already has 5 dragons / dracoliches in the region by 1365 DR). The drugs come from Calimshan, the only cult of the dragon presence i could find from Calimshan was ultimately linked to the Twisted Rune via intermediaries. I figure that the scarlet dragon in Amn has organised the drug running to add to his hoard and is using the cult of the dragon as a front for his activities, he in turn is being manipulated by a wizard which is actually an illusory alias of sappriktar the blue who is using the information from the drug runners to add to his spy network.

I'm a big fan of double and triple bluffs and secrets and counter secrets.

So while the cult of the dragon cells in Alaron and Snowdown will be of Calishite / Amnian origin, it will be a false cult and will actually serve the Twisted Rune ultimately.

I'm intending for another cult cell to exist in Gnarhelm and possibly Gwynneth which will be a true cult of the dragon cell founded by cultists from the northern sword coast.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  21:06:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noted on the 4e maps for the Moonshae Isles that the location of Caer Allisynn and Tir faoi Thoinn, as well as east of Flamsterd, north east of Moray, and several places in Norheim show what looks like sunken islands.

I've already got rumours and myths of islands sinking (inspired by caer allisynn and the sinking of half of flamsterd) and linked that to the dwindling power of the Earthmother, as she is drained of power and starts to die, then parts of her collapse into the waters. The sunken land masses look like parts of the islands that have sunk in the past.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2019 :  20:58:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrrgh, just found one of those maddening quotes in the Moonshae sourcebook

quote:
The longships landed first along the Norheim Isles, taking tribute from the tiny kingdoms of the Ffolk they found there.
Next Norland and then Oman and Moray

So it looks like the northmen left from Waterdeep as well (and i checked there were a few settlements in the twilit lands of northmen origin around 200 DR when i reckon the northmen began invading the Moonshaes.

So now i have sources saying northmen came from tuern, gundarlun, ruathym, and now waterdeep.
I could get ignore it because those northmen from waterdeep are from the same stock and probably ruled by those from the islands (until later when the twilit lands become populous enough to gain independence)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5553 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  02:40:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your quote doesn't mention Waterdeep ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  06:38:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silly me, I missed the important bit out

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  10:08:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone done anything with the island of llorgh in norheim, or surtrs maw or dalheim, or daryns rest.

I'm assuming surtrs maw is a volcano, I'm thinking of linking it to koraxis' maw (the name for bhaal among the sahuagin, and therefore making it a volcanic vent that has sea access to it so the sahuagin can visit as well. I figure it has been used to make a variety of items in the past (ysallas gold dagger, and a few magic items belonging to the true giants).

Otherwise it's completely undetailed. Given that the northmen arrived here first I could litter it with old northmen settlements, but northmen don't really make anything that lasts very long (mostly wooden structures).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1465 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  11:47:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyone done anything with the island of llorgh in norheim, or surtrs maw or dalheim, or daryns rest.

I'm assuming surtrs maw is a volcano, I'm thinking of linking it to koraxis' maw (the name for bhaal among the sahuagin, and therefore making it a volcanic vent that has sea access to it so the sahuagin can visit as well. I figure it has been used to make a variety of items in the past (ysallas gold dagger, and a few magic items belonging to the true giants).

Otherwise it's completely undetailed. Given that the northmen arrived here first I could litter it with old northmen settlements, but northmen don't really make anything that lasts very long (mostly wooden structures).

I think the Northmen might leave other enduring legacies. For example, twisted, rune-scarred stones that vaguely resemble the humans and monsters they once were.

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  12:13:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rune scarred stones that were once humans and monsters, implying that some terrifying creature stalked the island in the past, or alternatively the northmen once possessed a skill with runes that they inherited from their former giant masters (that they have since lost), and that skill was used to petrify northmen and monster alike mid-battle (the runes are there to keep the petrification from wearing off).

Not a bad idea, using the unique magic of the moonshaes to preserve northmen history and ruins

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1465 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  13:07:37  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another idea.

The rune-scarred, twisted stones are "stone echoes." Simply, in the wake of a major battle, the surrounding stones absorb the energies of that battle (maybe through the will of Tempus).

In the decades and centuries that follow, the stones gradually take on the twisted aspect of those who fought and died, leaving a cryptic manifestation of history long gone.

quote:

Rune scarred stones that were once humans and monsters, implying that some terrifying creature stalked the island in the past, or alternatively the northmen once possessed a skill with runes that they inherited from their former giant masters (that they have since lost), and that skill was used to petrify northmen and monster alike mid-battle (the runes are there to keep the petrification from wearing off).

Not a bad idea, using the unique magic of the moonshaes to preserve northmen history and ruins

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  13:16:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You do have some very nice ideas. I shall do that for the first landing of the northmen in norheim where they slaughtered most of an island (who refused to pay up or defend themselves), that should be suitably twisted to scar impressions into the stone.

Perhaps if enough horrors were committed over a long period of time this could imbue sentience into the rocks and I have an explanation for the Galen duhr like creatures around the moonshae isles

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4672 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  13:20:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall have to look into the names of the places and see if I can corrupt any into real Norse words.

Heim means home, so perhaps if dal approximates to dead or stone then Dalheim can be the site of a battle with lots of death and scary stones

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  23:36:07  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Heimdal the guardian of the bridge/gate to Asgard? Maybe "dal" means some sort of defensive word, such as the "home guard".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000