Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5956 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  01:14:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The adventure requires you to fight Auril ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9498 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  01:43:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

Hmm:
- the cold crone. It’s this old, hunched, tripartite creature that combines the features of a goat, a wolf, and an owl. - Cegilune?
- Her middle form is called the brittle maiden—a svelte, angular, feminine creature made of jagged ice. - Aurilandür?
- winter’s womb, resembling a radiant diamond that contains her divine spark. It represents Auril in her most primal form. - the Black Diamond/Shard of Pure Evil/The Queen of Air and Darkness herself(itself?).



Yeah, I was trying to piece that concept together myself, but honestly, I am not sure they went that far. The part that surprises me most is the "radiant" diamond.... so, shining bright. If its travelling backwards in time too, that just kind of doesn't fit that that's her at her most basic if that's also the black diamond.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1725 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  01:44:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, in three forms. That someone on Twitter described as WotC Freudian views on women,

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3407 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  04:36:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Wolf and owl, OK sure, wolves and snowy owls are cool imagery for ice and snow. Goats though? Goats? Sure, mountain goats can live in pretty cold temperatures but they're not cool like wolves and owls.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
775 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  13:10:34  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The adventure requires you to fight Auril ...

-- George Krashos



quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Yeah, in three forms. That someone on Twitter described as WotC Freudian views on women,



Hmm, I think JRPGs, and up to a level computer and console RPGs are an influence for an idea to "fight a god", and the multi-fazed, multiform nature of it.

With Freudian nature, I think though the battle with Auril is indeed influenced by the idea of the Three Faces of Eve/the Triplicate goddess.

I also expanded on it though possibly having a deeper sense (ie the multiple hosts of the Black Diamond).

I guess though this battle would also male more sense lorewise, if it followed Brian R, James suggestion the "Auril" is in reality the Queen of Air and Darkness/The Black Diamond, weakened without a host.
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yeah, I was trying to piece that concept together myself, but honestly, I am not sure they went that far. The part that surprises me most is the "radiant" diamond.... so, shining bright. If its travelling backwards in time too, that just kind of doesn't fit that that's her at her most basic if that's also the black diamond.



Well with the Radiant Diamond...it's interesting black colored objects, can give the brightest light - the sun has black body, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

(Although I also might give WoTC to much credit XD And black body radiation being a result of heat, is cold is just ultimately the lack of heat but still...)

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Wolf and owl, OK sure, wolves and snowy owls are cool imagery for ice and snow. Goats though? Goats? Sure, mountain goats can live in pretty cold temperatures but they're not cool like wolves and owls.



I think the goat elements, are due to the "chimera-crone" form of Auril, being inspired by Cailleach - an Gaelic hag goddess of winter, associated with goats (and "horned beasts"), as well as owls and wolves.

Edited by - Baltas on 01 Aug 2020 15:36:23
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9498 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  15:23:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Snowstar Shuriken of the Frostmaiden
The White Rime Assassins of the frozen north can disappear right in front of your very eyes during a blizzard even if only inches away. Their command of ice, wind, and snow is only matched by the coldness in their hearts. Perhaps most well known for their signature shuriken, shaped like snowflakes, these weapons are known to hit with a critical punch enhanced by the force of the wind and the chilling cold which digs into flesh and bone.

Snowstar Shuriken of the Frostmaiden (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4573308) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3407 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  17:02:09  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Snowstar Shuriken of the Frostmaiden
The White Rime Assassins of the frozen north can disappear right in front of your very eyes during a blizzard even if only inches away. Their command of ice, wind, and snow is only matched by the coldness in their hearts. Perhaps most well known for their signature shuriken, shaped like snowflakes, these weapons are known to hit with a critical punch enhanced by the force of the wind and the chilling cold which digs into flesh and bone.

Snowstar Shuriken of the Frostmaiden (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4573308) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.



-Very cool.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9498 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  19:38:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amulets of the Frost Sprite Court (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4573554) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9498 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  19:47:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Snowstar Shuriken of the Frostmaiden
The White Rime Assassins of the frozen north can disappear right in front of your very eyes during a blizzard even if only inches away. Their command of ice, wind, and snow is only matched by the coldness in their hearts. Perhaps most well known for their signature shuriken, shaped like snowflakes, these weapons are known to hit with a critical punch enhanced by the force of the wind and the chilling cold which digs into flesh and bone.

Snowstar Shuriken of the Frostmaiden (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4573308) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.



-Very cool.



Thanks, this is an instance where art drove creation. I was thinking how much some snow flakes looked like throwing stars, then I pictured a "snow ninja" and thought... well, they COULD be hard to spot in a snow storm wearing white.... and now we see how to put some icy monks into the realms, possibly even counters to the monastery of the yellow rose.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3407 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  00:34:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In my own campaign, in the near future I'm going to be sending the PCs to the arctic and they'll be encountering some snowy fey creatures...I might just use those throwing stars as something they can do.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  05:33:11  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-In my own campaign, in the near future I'm going to be sending the PCs to the arctic and they'll be encountering some snowy fey creatures...I might just use those throwing stars as something they can do.


Is anyone else thinking about making a Yokai/Banshee ice maiden undead elf creature for the blizzards? Luring people off into the whitest snow-storms to their doom. I'm thinking replacing the Death Wail with an Enthrall effect..

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:


https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
33879 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  15:34:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-In my own campaign, in the near future I'm going to be sending the PCs to the arctic and they'll be encountering some snowy fey creatures...I might just use those throwing stars as something they can do.


Is anyone else thinking about making a Yokai/Banshee ice maiden undead elf creature for the blizzards? Luring people off into the whitest snow-storms to their doom. I'm thinking replacing the Death Wail with an Enthrall effect..



There is an ice maiden yokai... Yuki-onna

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9498 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  15:55:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regalia of Winter - Crowns of the Frost Sprite Court

The four crowns of the Frost Sprite Court (for the king, queen, prince, and princess). Its said that the fangs in the royal crown came from the ancient wyrm, Pixel'ueforian, after he had to be put down by the Frost Sprite King. The formerly merry and laughing Faerie Dragon had seemingly gone mad, the orbs of its eyes turning pitch black, and it developed a sinister and sadistic chuckle whenever other creatures were hurt.

NOTE: including .blend file in case you would like to change the gem colors, crown colors, etc... to make a new picture very easily

Regalia of Winter - Crowns of the Frost Sprite Court (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4574275) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.


Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 19 Aug 2020 15:56:20
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9498 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  17:57:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regalia of Winter - Tiara of the Uldra Princess

The small fey known as the Uldra were known for their relationship with animals. The uldra princess Aurelianna in particular favored her white furred hart, Sfendalifur, whose horns were said to heal with a touch, and whose quirky smile was said to inspire giggles.

Regalia of Winter - Tiara of the Uldra Princess (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4574383) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.


Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9498 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  21:10:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regalia of Winter - Hexblade's Crown of the Court of Air & Darkness

This crown was given to a witch in service to the Queen of Air and Darkness. Its powers include spells of illusion, enchantment, and necromancy. It also seems to enhance the effects of curses used by fey warlocks.

Regalia of Winter - Hexblade's Crown of the Court of Air & Darkness (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4574548) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9498 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2020 :  12:23:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rimeblades of the White Rime Assassins (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4592211) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Rimeblades of the White Rime Assassins

Crafted to appear like snowflakes at the center and cold darkness at the edges from glassteel, these weapons also acted like prisms, capturing the light to present wondrous colors that mimicked the Aurora Polaris (or "Northern Lights"). Each weapon was of similar make, but due to the crafting technique each blade was unique to the creator. While not a jealously guarded secret, White Rime Assassins preferred to keep their weapons to their order, unless someone had earned the blade by taking it from its owner at the cost of blood.


Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 09 Sep 2020 12:24:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000