Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Paladins and flirting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2020 :  06:28:53  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Darden,

You make a really good point. Some people do.

For example, as I was just commenting to Learned Scribe bloodtide_the_red, I have different medieval systems of law that I use in different places. A lot of them are trial by ordeal, which were of course public crimes due to the fact that crimes were issues of public impact in all manner. There are many examples of legal systems in the Realms adhering to old, "abusive" (to us, not them of course), unequal, and unfair practices. While laughable to us now, the idea of Questions of Importance were amazingly good ideas in medieval times, whether done by the monarch or his surrogate. lol

In Unther, I use the Code of Enlil, but it is the Vendidad, so I use what I know of that as well.

So yes, I agree of course: people do narrow things down often to one scope, without considering the panoply of legal systems that existed and the cultural complexity behind them.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2020 :  00:38:37  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mentioned "Amaunator" and some heard "Tyr" .

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Some people can't help seeing things from their modern viewpoint of good, evil, law, chaos and insist that medieval societies adhere to their narrow experiences.

That may be so. However...the Realms aren't strictly medieval. Furthermore, many of us play to get away from the modern world, yes, but we're not looking to achieve full historical accuracy. I - personally - require just enough detail to get the immersion going and no more.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2020 :  23:29:28  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:
That may be so. However...the Realms aren't strictly medieval. Furthermore, many of us play to get away from the modern world, yes, but we're not looking to achieve full historical accuracy. I - personally - require just enough detail to get the immersion going and no more.

I completely agree with this. I like to have enough where the familiarity on average breeds comfortable association, without going to such a degree that it is too far gone with detail and the story is lost. It is a really hard thing to pull off, and I hope some day to get it correct! ;)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2020 :  03:06:22  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:

I completely agree with this. I like to have enough where the familiarity on average breeds comfortable association, without going to such a degree that it is too far gone with detail and the story is lost. It is a really hard thing to pull off, and I hope some day to get it correct! ;)

Best regards,

There was this quote that really spoke to me and I'm paraphrasing it a bit, but it goes something like this.

quote:
"If a campaign is a meal, then realism is a spice; sometimes you only require a dash and other times a large amount is needed. Either way, the spice is not the meal."

You can swap out "realism" for "historical accuracy" and the message remains equally applicable. I hesitate settling on the phrase "historical accuracy" because, again, this setting isn't absolutely medieval; magic alone is a rather large game changer.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2020 :  07:44:51  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Azar,

Great quote that you paraphrased there! I think I am going to keep that one.

Do you remember at all where that quote came from, originally?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000