Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 the fey'ri with some hellgate spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PattPlays
Learned Scribe

201 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2020 :  05:33:09  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A lot of fey'ri had shapechanging abilities -- during Lady Sarya's campaigns, it would have been trivial for any of them to shapechange and slip away, particularly in battle...

But a couple of other ideas I've considered: what if a small group -- maybe a single family -- managed to hide and avoid imprisonment? These fey'ri could have been slowly growing their numbers in the intervening millennia, and they may or may not have been cool with the return of House Dlardrageth.

Or -- what if, during the time between the imprisonment and the release of the fey'ri, another ambitious house managed to lay hands on the relevant info to breed some new fey'ri? Similar to my other idea, they may or may not have shared the goals of House Dlardrageth.


My issue with this is the disintegration of House Dlardrageth with the exception of a few individuals like Lilianviaten and others. I don't think we know at all who leads them, aside from the wounded general who resides in a tower in Elvenport. And having Fey'ri that were never imprisoned opens up more problems, and simply assumes that generations of Daemonfey simply hid in shapechanged forms for ages.

I think we could really play up the freedom aspect of escaping the Nameless Dungeon. What if after watching their leadership fail time and time again, some of the Fey'ri stopped thinking of themselves as House Dlardrageth and its allies and instead identified as individuals yearning to see how the world has changed in 3000 years. Inject that corny 5e goodness into them and treat them the way we treated Drow. What would the goals of a group of Fey'ri be if they disbanded from their leadership and sought ways to achieve their goals without declaring war on the realms of elves and dwarves? What other grudges would they hold? Would they seek out their Sun Elf cousins?
I am fixated on some very young 'millennial' half-fiend elves going out into the world, knowing only the 'peace' (there were battles but House Dlardrageth got quashed and lost it's figurehead) of the unwritten century following the end of 4e and trying to find themselves in a similar direction to the many new Asmodean Tieflings. With the leaders of the house having demonic fathers of course they will be incredibly evil-aligned. But what about the average lower-class Fey'ri breeding with one-another in their new open-air countryside and them jsut breeding with one another and producing offspring that aren't complete half-fiends? What of their breeding programs and kidnappings producing half-daemonfey mixed elves who have no clue what to do in their life after escaping the awful eugenic process they get born into? Gosh, can you imagine a band of Harper agents stealing some children of enslaved sun-elves and raising them in places like Waterdeep- or shipping them off to live in obscurity in Icewind Dale? I want to see some debates from the elves of Evereska on whether or not they would tolerate innocent half-Daemonfey children! God knows the elves of the north have literally nothing going on in the 1480's..

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:


https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Learned Scribe

201 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2020 :  03:40:56  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh... bad history with Evereska... Yikes. Did not know about the Battle of Cwm.
Okay maybe I'm being a bit too pie in the sky in this scenario.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:


https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2020 :  06:08:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A lot of fey'ri had shapechanging abilities -- during Lady Sarya's campaigns, it would have been trivial for any of them to shapechange and slip away, particularly in battle...

But a couple of other ideas I've considered: what if a small group -- maybe a single family -- managed to hide and avoid imprisonment? These fey'ri could have been slowly growing their numbers in the intervening millennia, and they may or may not have been cool with the return of House Dlardrageth.

Or -- what if, during the time between the imprisonment and the release of the fey'ri, another ambitious house managed to lay hands on the relevant info to breed some new fey'ri? Similar to my other idea, they may or may not have shared the goals of House Dlardrageth.


My issue with this is the disintegration of House Dlardrageth with the exception of a few individuals like Lilianviaten and others. I don't think we know at all who leads them, aside from the wounded general who resides in a tower in Elvenport.


Why is it an issue who leads the Dlardrageth remnant, in regards to deserters who -- as you said -- "stopped thinking of themselves as House Dlardrageth and its allies and instead identified as individuals yearning to see how the world has changed in 3000 years"?

Sarya had some fey'ri scouts out, checking out the nations of the wider Realms -- any of them could have decided to just walk away from House Dlardrageth. Or a fey'ri could have stayed loyal for a while, but after a few lost battles began to rethink things, and then either shapechanged into a member of an opposing force and left with them, or used their abilities to appear to have been slain, and then got up and walked off afterward.

I'll agree that my other ideas are tricky, perhaps too tricky to pull off -- though keeping their numbers very small, and/or have them be far more recent, would mitigate some of that. Still, it's easier to just go with the deserter angle.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Learned Scribe

201 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2020 :  07:55:33  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A lot of fey'ri had shapechanging abilities -- during Lady Sarya's campaigns, it would have been trivial for any of them to shapechange and slip away, particularly in battle...

But a couple of other ideas I've considered: what if a small group -- maybe a single family -- managed to hide and avoid imprisonment? These fey'ri could have been slowly growing their numbers in the intervening millennia, and they may or may not have been cool with the return of House Dlardrageth.

Or -- what if, during the time between the imprisonment and the release of the fey'ri, another ambitious house managed to lay hands on the relevant info to breed some new fey'ri? Similar to my other idea, they may or may not have shared the goals of House Dlardrageth.


My issue with this is the disintegration of House Dlardrageth with the exception of a few individuals like Lilianviaten and others. I don't think we know at all who leads them, aside from the wounded general who resides in a tower in Elvenport.


Why is it an issue who leads the Dlardrageth remnant, in regards to deserters who -- as you said -- "stopped thinking of themselves as House Dlardrageth and its allies and instead identified as individuals yearning to see how the world has changed in 3000 years"?

Sarya had some fey'ri scouts out, checking out the nations of the wider Realms -- any of them could have decided to just walk away from House Dlardrageth. Or a fey'ri could have stayed loyal for a while, but after a few lost battles began to rethink things, and then either shapechanged into a member of an opposing force and left with them, or used their abilities to appear to have been slain, and then got up and walked off afterward.

I'll agree that my other ideas are tricky, perhaps too tricky to pull off -- though keeping their numbers very small, and/or have them be far more recent, would mitigate some of that. Still, it's easier to just go with the deserter angle.


Ooooh.. Now I'm thinking of a scout who aligns them-self in opposition and leaks information, playing a major part in the survival of the allied forces at Cwm..

Also, those scouts make a great case for half-fey'ri youths scattered across Toril.
I'm going to have to pull up some information because I can't tell when a Fey'ri child would be daemonfey, cambion, half-elf, or some other combination. I have no clue how elven races (especially after the deliberate acts of these folk to mess with their own bloodlines) would intermix in terms of fanwritten characters and playable races.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:


https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
34143 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2020 :  16:32:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays


I'm going to have to pull up some information because I can't tell when a Fey'ri child would be daemonfey, cambion, half-elf, or some other combination. I have no clue how elven races (especially after the deliberate acts of these folk to mess with their own bloodlines) would intermix in terms of fanwritten characters and playable races.



IIRC, the first generation off-spring -- the ones with a fiendish parent -- were cambions. If one of these cambions mated with an elf, the outcome was fey'ri, and amongst themselves, fey'ri breed true.

Also IIRC, daemonfey is a collection term referring to both those first generation cambions and the later generation fey'ri.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Learned Scribe

201 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  12:00:53  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays


I'm going to have to pull up some information because I can't tell when a Fey'ri child would be daemonfey, cambion, half-elf, or some other combination. I have no clue how elven races (especially after the deliberate acts of these folk to mess with their own bloodlines) would intermix in terms of fanwritten characters and playable races.



IIRC, the first generation off-spring -- the ones with a fiendish parent -- were cambions. If one of these cambions mated with an elf, the outcome was fey'ri, and amongst themselves, fey'ri breed true.

Also IIRC, daemonfey is a collection term referring to both those first generation cambions and the later generation fey'ri.


Finally someone breaks down the hierarchy of the terms. So Fey'ri as a pc race might just be a demonic powerswap of tiefling made to fit an elf subrace..

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:


https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 27 Sep 2020 12:01:20
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1750 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  22:00:38  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe PattPlays,

quote:
Finally someone breaks down the hierarchy of the terms. So Fey'ri as a pc race might just be a demonic powerswap of tiefling made to fit an elf subrace..


Indeed Master Rupert is correct as evidenced by the entry from Races of Faeurn (p118-9):

quote:
Having bred with these demons and among their own kind, fey'ri are a distinct race and share the same common fiendish traits.


Best regards,






Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000