Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Heavy Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2021 :  00:37:32  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Sorry, but I'm not a rules person. I think the overall concept is too badly flawed. For me, it's one of those situations where it would take more time and energy to fix a bad thing than it would to just make something new.

At first glance, heavy magic resembles chardalyn in colloidal phase. I too would take the Netheril:Empire of Magic set with a grain of salt.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2021 :  03:22:22  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

When Nimbral began to interact more with wildspace, the city's mythallar was fitted with something like the helm of the dwarves, but moving at MUCH MUCH MUCH slower speeds such that it could exit the atmosphere (an amazing development for them) by studying old Netherese lore.

A "conventional" series helm would be enough. IIRC arks are fit with these. It would be obscenely expensive... but mythallar allows to implement those as quasimagic items.
Then there could be Netherese prototypes that steered Thayan helm development in such an unusual direction.

quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

At first glance, heavy magic resembles chardalyn in colloidal phase.

...and "synthetic chardalyn" would obviously be one of top goals on many arcanists' R&D lists, from the day chardalyn was discovered to the day Netheril fell.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2021 :  09:42:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Sorry, but I'm not a rules person. I think the overall concept is too badly flawed. For me, it's one of those situations where it would take more time and energy to fix a bad thing than it would to just make something new.

At first glance, heavy magic resembles chardalyn in colloidal phase. I too would take the Netheril:Empire of Magic set with a grain of salt.

The only problem I had with the Netheril set was the stupid re-naming. Such a silly idea.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2021 :  15:07:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, I had to first look up colloidal, as its not a word I use often. So, what you're saying is that heavy magic appears to be like a "gel"/"ooze" that's working because "ground up" chardalyn dust is mixed in with it. I will say that's an interesting idea. If we go with a more modern "understanding" of what Chardalyn is (i.e. it seems to be a crystal with ties to the Abyss) might the "gel"/"ooze" also have similar ties? Just a thought that popped in my head when reading what you wrote.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2021 :  20:16:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chardalyn having Abyssal ties is a retcon, and it's a non-sensical one at that. I'd personally say that either A)Abyssal chardalyn is only available in one region, and it's a tainted version of the regular stuff, or B)Abyssal chardalyn has nothing to do with regular chardalyn, it's misnamed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2021 :  09:25:15  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either way, I'd say that making heavy magic a solution would mean that the spell that creates it, would actually be a conjuration spell that summons up a bit f the dust. Interesting twist.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2021 :  15:27:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Chardalyn having Abyssal ties is a retcon, and it's a non-sensical one at that. I'd personally say that either A)Abyssal chardalyn is only available in one region, and it's a tainted version of the regular stuff, or B)Abyssal chardalyn has nothing to do with regular chardalyn, it's misnamed.

I agree that the properties listed are different, but I won't say nonsensical. Its not unusual for one person's accounting of the properties of a crystal or metal to not list everything that there is to know about the stuff. For instance, someone 300 years ago writing about the properties of silver versus someone today will write entirely different views.

That being said, I also don't mind the idea of them being different materials and people using the same name for "black gems that work with magic". I've long felt it would be good to do something similar to Volo's Guide to Magic to gather all this newer stuff that's been introduced in later editions (such as blended quartz, etc....).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2021 :  17:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy figuring out rules normally but alas am a bit busy at the moment. I will say when reading the description of Heavy Magic it reminded me of quintessence as the general feel. It deals with time instead of magic, the concept of making something intangible tangible, the idea that it can be harnessed to do useful things but also be destructive. Might be a good springboard for someone looking to update Heavy Magic.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000