Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Small City in The Dragon Coast
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kentinal
Great Reader

4513 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2020 :  00:34:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

If it helps, the writers seemed to have used the same 9 to 1 rule as they did with Waterdeep in that 9 times the permanent population of the town resides in the fertile lands surrounding the walled town in the scattered farming hamlets and thorps of the Shining Baronies. This poorly explained ratio was the reason people were scratching their heads at how 1360s Daggerford with a population of just over 300 were able to field an army of 600 by themselves in the Hordes of Dragonspear adventure. A loss of even 20% of these people would have been utterly devastating to the economy & survivability of the town. However, if this force was drawn from the 1000 people living within a days walk of the town and perhaps another 1500 or more living beyond that single day's journey but still within the jurisdiction of Daggerford then that would be more sustainable as well as representative of the ratio of cite dweller to agrarian laborer that was described in the FR setting books/box-sets.

I was not aware of this rule of 9 to 1 . An explanation might be during WW II about 90 percent of the US was rural and 10 percent urban. Certainly could be from other possibilities.

When I looked at realm building and Medieval agriculture I searched the web for data. The Domesday Book (Middle English for "Doomsday Book") excepts was part of it. There clearly appeared to be more then 9 farmers to one Noble, however the number of people were not counted it was assessment of wealth a count of land and /farms and equipment (including animals). I am not sure I could find the same sites again, however a dedicated search should still provide some historical date when realm explanation of things are lacking. They clearly had somebody setting the rule of thumb.

No one example does work and when one discusses farming in any world the crop yeilds, if any, vary due to natural and man made events. The for ease of use is to use average as constant for most.Others clearly can go for drought, locust or even a very good harvest that attracts raiders.
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
76 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2020 :  02:24:34  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kentinal!

Thanks for the kind words cpthero2. And no worries; maybe I'll take more time to look through the documents and still be able to come out with some applicable knowledge.

And thanks SaMoCon; I do think that's good info to know, and will help me with the ratios.

EDIT: I was just reading the Code of Conduct which I'd only just discovered when clicking on the link provided by Wooly Rupert's signature: I suppose rule "A#8" dictates these thank you posts aren't allowed. I get it's likely not a big deal considering they're harmless, but I didn't realize until now this was a rule I was technically not following; I'll refrain from such posts in the future.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 18 Nov 2020 08:54:21
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1812 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  09:10:27  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Drizzt,

You'll get no judgement from me in general, let alone that rule specifically! I use to be quite bad about violating that. I am so used to showing appreciation, that at least on this site, it took me a while to break that habit. I completely get why the rule exists though.

Definitely become familiar with the code of conduct though. For sure.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000