Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur’s Gate 3 in Early Access!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2020 :  22:48:25  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe keftiu,

I've played about (10) hours of this so far, and it isn't bad. I am on the fence, but I know I need to give it some more hours before I feel I can really say for sure whether it is good or not. Just my first impression.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  08:35:16  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far I'm enjoying it, but I get why a lot of old school BG fans are disappointed.

It's really a Neverwinter Nights 3 that's been heavily influenced by Dragon Age: Origins rather than a true BG3. There's precious little connective tissue to the gameplay of the old Infinite engine games, and it has all the AoE spam endemic to DoS2.

Edited by - BlackAce on 26 Oct 2020 08:37:28
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  09:14:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe BlackAce,

I try not to compare, but it is hard. I feel I need to give it a legitimate chance before I fire it (especially after spending $60.00! haha).

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  18:08:42  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Again, I think there would have been less hullabaloo had this game been marketed under another title/intellectual property. I've seen this happen with way too many franchises, video game or otherwise; what could be a decent (or better) experience is shoehorned into an established franchise for marketing purposes.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  01:39:26  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Azar,

Indeed. It is also an issue of having big shoes to fill. I watched an interview with some staff from The Phantom Menace who said that had it been another film, it would not have been a big deal, but the sheer magnitude of everything that exists around the Star Wars universe, also exists for the Realms followers. We are really into our Realms! haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  02:32:03  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are talking about a gameplay 20 years old...that doesn't have a lot of success now. If Baldur's Gate was its gameplay...then you don't value that game enough. About the spam endemic, I agree, it's early access hope they tune it down a little, but it's a challenging game packed with stuff. It's playing D&D, you have unprecedented freedom, compared to any other game. It's called Bg3 because it links back to the previous two. In one year with full game we'll find out how. Meanwhile for me it's Baldur's Gate brought into present era. If you really need to compare the games with nostalgia googles, I feel it's your loss, you're missing an incredible time.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  04:58:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Qilintha,

Apologies, but for clarification: was that a general response, or directed at someone specific? I just wanted to make sure if it was directed at me that I respond to you directly. I certainly do not want to be rude. :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  05:23:58  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qilintha

We are talking about a gameplay 20 years old...that doesn't have a lot of success now. If Baldur's Gate was its gameplay...then you don't value that game enough. About the spam endemic, I agree, it's early access hope they tune it down a little, but it's a challenging game packed with stuff. It's playing D&D, you have unprecedented freedom, compared to any other game. It's called Bg3 because it links back to the previous two. In one year with full game we'll find out how. Meanwhile for me it's Baldur's Gate brought into present era. If you really need to compare the games with nostalgia googles, I feel it's your loss, you're missing an incredible time.

Rose-tinted spectacles or no, comparisons cannot be avoided; both this attempt by Larian and the games of old share a name.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  05:49:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Azar,

Yeah, the name makes it to where it is practically impossibru (at least for me) to avoid the comparisons. I completely feel you there.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  23:50:03  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It wasn't referred to anyone in particular, and I don't mind comparison on something worth to be compared : story,companions, bantering, feeling of the realms, plot, grasp of the source materials. Compare those. But complaining about gameplay or graphics things that are due to evolve because of the 20 years that have passed from original games and new games it's... sort of dumb. You can complain about the Star Wars prequel all you want but the special effects are amazing, the duels are incredible compared to the original trilogy thanks to the new technologies. However storywise they shift from boring to make no sense, Some characters are terribly written ( looking at you Jar Jar) . Complain about those not about Yoda is not a ragged old puppet/animatron but a CGI effect in the prequels. That's my point. Baldur's gate 3 can be like the Star Wars prequels or it can be Star Trek: Next generation compared to original Star Trek.

My suggestion is: first enjoy the game as it is...make comparison afterwards. Because if you play it with the purpose of comparing everything, aiming to dislike every innovation they put, you are ruining it for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2020 :  00:31:26  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It wasn't referred to anyone in particular, and I don't mind comparison on something worth to be compared : story,companions, bantering, feeling of the realms, plot, grasp of the source materials. Compare those. But complaining about gameplay or graphics things that are due to evolve because of the 20 years that have passed from original games and new games it's... sort of dumb. You can complain about the Star Wars prequel all you want but the special effects are amazing, the duels are incredible compared to the original trilogy thanks to the new technologies. However storywise they shift from boring to make no sense, Some characters are terribly written ( looking at you Jar Jar) . Complain about those not about Yoda is not a ragged old puppet/animatron but a CGI effect in the prequels. That's my point. Baldur's gate 3 can be like the Star Wars prequels or it can be Star Trek: Next generation compared to original Star Trek.

My suggestion is: first enjoy the game as it is...make comparison afterwards. Because if you play it with the purpose of comparing everything, aiming to dislike every innovation they put, you are ruining it for yourself.

For the record, my stance on the exact mechanics of the gameplay's pacing (Real-Time With Pauses versus Turn-Based) is neutral: neither praise nor condemnation. I do think high-quality prerendered backgrounds age better than even the best (of their time) three-dimensional graphics, but this aspect of Larian's attempt isn't a dealbreaker for me. Everything else just feels off...the same way a doppelganger feels off that moment you start noticing the discrepancies in their performance.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2020 :  04:18:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Qilintha,

quote:
It wasn't referred to anyone in particular

Gotcha. I just wasn't sure if you were meaning for someone specific to answer or not. Thanks for clarifying.

quote:
and I don't mind comparison on something worth to be compared

I can certainly appreciate your perspectives there.

quote:

Not a bad suggestion. I know I am going to give it another (30) hours or so of game play and truly give it a chance. I mean hell, I already paid for it. haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2020 :  00:43:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Different strokes for different folks. I am a big fan of the Shining series, a tactical RPG series from the early-to-mid-90s. In the 2000s, a new company bought the IP and started making new Shining games, but the game play was completely different; it went from being a tactical RPG to an action adventure game. It doesn't help things that the new games basically had nothing to do with the old ones in terms of plots, locations, or characters, but even if they did, I still might not be too interested in them because of the genre switch. Another series I like, Fallout, that was a major thing that cause a big fracture in the fanbase; the older games were isometric RPGs and the newer ones are 1st/3rd person shooter RPGs.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2020 :  15:30:51  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Lord Karsus,

Wow, I haven't even heard Shining for a video game since I was in high school! haha Wasn't that on SEGA?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2020 :  15:44:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yep. The first couple on the Genesis, a couple on the GameGear and one on the Saturn. After the Dreamcast flopped and Sega stopped making their own consoles, the games have been on the different Nintendo and Playstation systems- to much less acclaim and impact of the originals, to the point I didn't know half of them even existed without seeing a list on Wikipedia.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2020 :  17:36:28  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Lord Karsus,

SEGA was really awesome. It is too bad it didn't keep going. Some of their games were way ahead of their time, and to this day, my most favorite of all (I know, likely a lot of gasps here) was Sonic. I loved that game when it hit the market!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2020 :  20:29:53  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-Different strokes for different folks. I am a big fan of the Shining series, a tactical RPG series from the early-to-mid-90s. In the 2000s, a new company bought the IP and started making new Shining games, but the game play was completely different; it went from being a tactical RPG to an action adventure game. It doesn't help things that the new games basically had nothing to do with the old ones in terms of plots, locations, or characters, but even if they did, I still might not be too interested in them because of the genre switch. Another series I like, Fallout, that was a major thing that cause a big fracture in the fanbase; the older games were isometric RPGs and the newer ones are 1st/3rd person shooter RPGs.

Time is the fertilizer for expectation. Some of us have waited nearly two decades in the hopes that a worthy successor would emerge...our standards are now at those celestial heights found only in dreams. I do not want to discount the fact that there are people in the same boat that have embraced Larian's attempt, but, all the same...the longer the wait, the greater the fall.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2020 :  01:54:33  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Azar,

quote:
Time is the fertilizer for expectation.

That is simply a fantastic quote! I am keeping that.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2020 :  23:28:59  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master of Realmslore cpthero2 ,

Thank you. A closed mind is a fortress under siege: indomitable until it starves from within.

(It's nice to know that even I can occasionally roll a 20.)

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2020 :  23:51:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Azar,

quote:
Thank you. A closed mind is a fortress under siege: indomitable until it starves from within.

You are more than welcome good sir. That is a fantastic quote as well. Is that yours? :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2020 :  14:42:07  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Seeker Azar,

quote:

You are more than welcome good sir. That is a fantastic quote as well. Is that yours? :)

Best regards,

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, I thought of it on my own. That said, the general sentiment is most probably ages old and I wouldn't be at all taken aback to discover that a similar adage has already been coined.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2020 :  23:11:34  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Azar,

Well, I really like how you phrased it though. I've seen some family members who choose not to thrive intellectually go down that very path as they age. I very much hope to avoid that!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000