Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sea of Swords Garbage Patch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Compaste
Seeker

15 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2020 :  01:33:01  Show Profile Send Compaste a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They know better than to put juicy piles of garbage nearby because these would just attract scavenger monsters.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9635 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2020 :  13:55:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Perhaps even looking at a new form of trade cropping up in Impiltur of druids or other folk who tend plants and crops? I could easily see trading pearls or storm-lost materials from the sea for certain land-bound plants with shalarin traders from Myth Nantar or elsewhere (who adapt such plants to subsea farming and new foodstuffs previously unknown).

Steven
who's happy he popped his head in as this ideastorm was very quick and refreshing

Hey Steven, this one caught my eye, but I'm not sure what kind of plants your picturing doing this with and/or how. Not saying that I'm not thinking it can happen, just its not clicking and I feel like I'm missing something. Like, just as an example, would you be saying that maybe they'd want to adapt.... let's just say blueberries for grins... so they'd grow blueberries under the ocean, but without light and in a wet environment? Or would they be making places under the water that are in effect small air bubbles in which they'd grow like blueberry bushes? I think you have a good idea here for making the two cultures talk more, because plants are a renewable resource that both sides can use... I'm just not picturing how to make it work.

Along these lines though.... underwater treant... animates bushes of berries of some sort so that they can "water themselves" and then walk back into a airy bubble area. Later has these same bushes walk into the water so they can be picked by non-air breathers.

First, think of reinforced habitats and environments--Ferns or tough shrubs that are considered weeds on the surface might be great ways to reinforce or rebuild shallows and land slopes beneath the waves. Just as we have problems supporting dunes above the water, they may have the same beneath.

Think also about what serves as food for underwater races and you'll think of ideas. It's less what land dwellers find as food and what aquatics might be able to use/adapt as food for themselves--thinking closer to cucumbers or other water-heavy vegetables, certain rices and other starch-heavy plants that might suit or become suitable for underwater use/growth.

What if prickly pears or cactus--adapted for growth/survival beneath the waves--could be a great boon food-wise or even a way for salt-water dwellers to produce fresh water inside the plants despite the salinary environment?

Again, this is just brainstorming, not serious study, but there's a wealth of story and campaign potential in exploring this idea imo

Agreed, brainstorming.... and gotta say I like the idea with the cactus for cleaning saltwater. That then might be used to "water" other plants that might not be adaptable to salt water environments. I like where this is going (the idea of fortifying things too is neat). I need to dwell on it a bit though.

Sorry to keep coming back to this... but like you said, its making me think.... so cactus plant is perhaps adapted to underwater use, its taking in in salinated water .... cactus plants then have "cuts" in them and "drip lines" made of rubber leading to... groves of rubber trees in an airy water environment underwater. Perhaps an "artificial sun".... because we've seen 2 created in the last century after all, who says "the secret" hasn't gotten out.... maybe a really really small one.... is created underwater for a grove of growing plants containing rubber trees to make "water lines" out of rubber that then are watering OTHER landbased trees and/or bushes to make handfruits, berries, nuts, oil producing plants (like tongue nut oil which is often used for waterproofing lumber)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1363 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2020 :  22:56:34  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Seethyr,

I would think that as overtime, diplomatic and kinetic issues presenting, that treaties would have been formed that included certain kinds of actions mandatory by all parties involved.

For example, in Lake Ashane between Thay and Rasheman, it is known that certain water dwelling creatures have done to destroy Thayan vessels for a variety of reasons. I think that now that Thay has changed posture to a much more heavy preference to economic superiority, over military, you could see them making such deals. It would also be a great way to dishonestly taken advantage of people's interest in additional Thayan magic by pushing a "genuine" interest in helping find ways to clean up the environment from whatever is messy in it.

Magic I think would ultimately be at the center of most clean up operations though.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000