Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur's Gate 3 being developed by Larian
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  02:21:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

I hope beyond all hope that this game is good. But as previously stated by others best I can do is "cautiously optimistic". I could not get into Divinity: Original Sin II, maybe it was the non-D&D rules, maybe it was the non-FR setting, maybe it was the odd "physics" like puzzles. I tried my hand at at the EE:BG2 again after beating the original something near two decades ago and it didn't hold the same shine, gaming including story telling in gaming has come a long way since then. There were a lot of Do and Don't lessons that came out of NWN and NWN2, as well as some of the best online RP I ever had in online MMO style NWN communities.

But here is hoping, maybe they will manage to capture the essence of the original game while updating it for a new era (And I don't mean the graphics or the POV). I'll likely be one of the first in line to give them my money either way.

Also thoughts of the Illithid and Far Realm like creatures in the sky? The darkening of the skies reminded me of Bruce Cordell's the Illithid Trilogy from the Monstrous Arcana series.

Edit: On a second watch there is also a grafiti symbol on the wall at the 0:04 mark. Looks like an upside down triangle and with a hand print with skull like markings. Maybe some sort of hybrid symbol of multiple deities?

I think the Graffiti is the Symbol for The Cult of the Absolute.

Edited by - Gyor on 04 Mar 2020 02:22:30
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  20:01:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Gyor,

I kind of wonder how much the classes are going to matter anyhow. 5e plays to averaging things out so much that while the characters seem different enough, the math behind them certainly isn't.

My primary hope is that WotC doesn't compel Larian to leave out lore that could help fill in a........100 year gap or so, so that some consistency can be put into play.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

My thoughts on yesterday's gameplay reveal.

It's going to take a while to get used to the turn-based system. I couldn't really get into DOS2, but at least BG3 will have FR lore to motivate me.

The Origin characters look interesting, but I wish they would have a specific story available to custom characters too. The great thing about BG1&2, is that although all custom characters followed the same storyline, the story was about the character you created in your imagination. The Origin characters, while getting neat dialogue options tied to their backstory, aren't really your character. Not that I have a problem with pre-made characters, I am a big fan of JRPGs after all.

But there is a criticism that I've seen elsewhere, about the game currently resembling DOS3 far more than BG3. And people do have a point there. At the moment, there really isn't a reason why this should be called BG3. The gameplay is far different and there is no clear tie to the story of BG1&2 (although Swen Vicke did refuse to answer if Minsc would be in the gam, in a way that pretty much confirmed he's going to be in it). At this point, this could be any other Forgotten Realms game.

I'm hopeful though. The game looked really nice, and the FR lore may well motivate me into learning the mechanics. And honestly, it would be awesome if somewhere along the story the original Bhaalspawn saga suddenly got intimately integrated into the story of BG3.

They've said the custom characters will be much more fleshed out then in DOS2, class, race, background, and I think subclass will all matter to the customize character, so hopefully it will be equally interesting to the Origin Story Characters.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000