Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Mages And Sages Podcast
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5553 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2019 :  13:57:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The podcast runs out of the Fans of Ed Greenwood Facebook page. There is also a dedicated YouTube channel.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Seeker

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2019 :  00:44:44  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage  Send JEThetford an AOL message  Send JEThetford a Yahoo! Message Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elren_Wolfsbane

I keep hearing them talk about the facebook group, and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can someone help me out. Thanks

Fans of Ed Greenwood

https://www.facebook.com/TheEdVerse/

Mages and Sages on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAHDaW5vHsjUi8KYuacj4fA?view_as=subscriber

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter

Edited by - JEThetford on 01 Jul 2019 00:45:54
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

580 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2019 :  20:14:44  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a podcast feed for this? My podcast addict app couldn’t find it in a search.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2019 :  00:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Is there a podcast feed for this? My podcast addict app couldn’t find it in a search.
Right now, the episodes are uploaded to YouTube only. I need to twist Jeff's arm to see if he can get it in the appropriate podcast repositories.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1400 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2019 :  20:53:28  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have some Cormyr related questions:

1. What can be said about Tempest Valley?
2. Or the Warm Waterfall?
3. How did the Banites pull off constructing Temple Acheron without Cormyr giving them the boot?
4. *Puts on Captain Crazy Tinfoil Hat* Given Thauglor's tinkering with the Weave, how his death may have been on purpose, and how certain dragon's have the ability to work with the Weave akin to Chosen of Mystra, did Thauglor pull an Elminster body-snatching (like in El Enraged) and now lives on? Such as in say the body of Forgrimmorithal, AKA "Shift"? :)

5. Ed, in your novel Silverfall, the drow city Telnarquel, the Hidden City. One of the drow/elven translations I came up with was Tel = Lore, Nar = Stone, Quel (part of que'ellar = House). So, Telnarquel - Lore Stone House? Do drow use Tel'kiira or a variant? Where was this abandoned city located? Any history available on it?

Hope this wasn't too many questions. Thank you! :)

Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

186 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2019 :  18:18:30  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I can still ask about Cormyr;

Vangerdahast has always intrigued me. Besides his family history, what kept him so loyal to Crown & Country? Surely from studying with Elminster, Mystra could have offered him silverfire to be like any of her other agents. What drives(drove?) his singlemindness concerning the health of Cormyr?
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

704 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  08:47:14  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question for Ed or anyone else that wants to give it a shot, during my campaigns I find myself wanting to use some sayings that come from my national/city/generational background but they would be completely out-of-context in the Realms, so I wonder what would be the Realms (or regional) equivalents of the following sayings:

- "To lit up like a Christmas tree" (usually when talking about unknown pieces of technological equipment, like in "I don't know what it does, I just pushed this button and it lit up like a Christmas tree but it's not doing anything", in the Realms I fear it could be used in conjunction with both harmless and very deadly spells involving light, fire and pyrotechnics in general);

- "Pulcinella's secret" (something that's supposed to be secret but is now known to a lot of people, used to mock the attempts by the power that be to cover up stories);

- "Searching Mary around Rome" (meaning that you're running around and losing a lot of time trying to do something extremely difficult like searching for a specific girl with a common name in the streets of a huge city);
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32289 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  16:11:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been pondering the ghazneths of Cormyr, recently -- particularly the fact that while all are considered to have betrayed Cormyr, some of those betrayals are far worse than others, and some are so minor it's begs the question of why another betrayer wasn't selected.

Luthax and Ryndala Merendil both tried to assassinate their respective kings. This is unarguably a betrayal of Cormyr... But they're not the only nobles/titled persons to have done so. Why did some of the others who committed similar acts not become ghazneths?

Melineth Turcassan attempted to sell Suzail, and that's certainly a betrayal -- but I'd personally consider that one at least one step down from assassinating the king.

Xanthon Cormaeril didn't seem to do that much against Cormyr; it was his cousin who would have been the better candidate for ghazneth-hood. Krash's write-up of the Lalya Maurhshanta does explain Xanthon's "promotion" though I'd argue that there were more viable candidates.

Boldovar was mad. A lot of his actions were certainly not to Cormyr's benefit, but one has to consider that most of the other ghazneths were apparently of sound mind when they betrayed the kingdom, and Boldovar was certainly not in his right mind. It seems that his betrayals weren't deliberate, like some of the others.

Rowen Cormaeril didn't follow orders, but as I recall, he was still acting to protect the Obarskyr family -- which included his wife! -- and became a ghazneth for it. This, to me, is very questionable.

And the most questionable one of all is the first ghazneth, Suzara Obarskyr. She didn't betray the kingdom of Cormyr -- there was no kingdom for her to betray! It was barely a village. And she wasn't even acting against that village -- she was unhappy enough to leave her husband and family and go home.

So I guess the question is why some of these betrayers were selected over others.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5553 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2019 :  08:55:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no easy answer to your question. In reality there is no good answer to your question. Troy's efforts in respect of the ghazneth concept were not stellar. So many, many holes. My Lalya Maurshanta was an attempt to fix those holes as best as I could come up with. I was happy with it - within its limitations brought about by the confused and illogical prose regarding those creatures.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

muir
Seeker

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2019 :  03:03:33  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the topic of future guests, has anyone suggested Jeff Grubb? I think 'twould be most interesting to hear his side of porting the Realms to the published version.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5553 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2019 :  05:40:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muir

On the topic of future guests, has anyone suggested Jeff Grubb? I think 'twould be most interesting to hear his side of porting the Realms to the published version.

Yes, both Jeff Grubb and Steven Schend have been mooted as future potential guests.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
391 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  16:54:18  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've really enjoyed what I have listened to so far, especially George's deep dive into Tethyamar. I'm actually going to take notes when I listen to it again.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

muir
Seeker

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  20:31:25  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question, for anyone to weigh in on, though I feel Ed may have touched on it in a scroll somewhere, I cannot find a reference:

What is the state of dental hygiene in various parts of the Realms?

Said question resulted from a discussion on what effect a Cure Disease spell would have on halitosis; sages are also welcome to weigh in on that!

Edited by - muir on 15 Sep 2019 20:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32289 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  02:25:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another question, for anyone to weigh in on, though I feel Ed may have touched on it in a scroll somewhere, I cannot find a reference:

Said question resulted from a discussion on what effect a Cure Disease spell would have on halitosis; sages are also welcome to weigh in on that!

Good question. I can't find anything on it in my files. Hygiene has been addressed, in general, but I can't find anything specific to oral hygiene (other than a reference to someone having all their teeth).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8207 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  02:49:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd imagine someone's developed a necromantic spell for stealing teeth from corpses and transplanting them as replacements for a bad tooth.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000