Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Half-Orc Wizards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3609 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2019 :  02:19:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Clark

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan
Sure, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. And of course you can write any story any way you want and not really follow the rules for the game.

I just hate breaking established lore unless absolutely necessary. That's why I made the thread. Well, I am also just interested why we totally lack a legal core race + class combo in the lore.

I saw a few good reasons why Half-Orc Wizards are rare but no reasons why they are impossible so I'll probably go with that character concept. :)

BTW if I had to figure out a reason why Half-Orcs should not be Wizards I'd probably say "tusks prevent them from properly reciting verbal components of spells."

Lol that would make sense. Looking at the overall lore if the Realms, half-orcs are surprisingly limited in overall presence except for some R.A. Salvatore novels. So I'm not really surprised that they're often depicted as the iconic trope of raging barbarism and little else.

Actually I enjoy off-role or anti-trope character concepts - especially in D&D games which is why I prefer the 4e ruleset to others that make such ideas plausible and pretty effective such as my Half-orc Paladin of Torm whom was really cool and devastatingly effective despite not having boosts to Charisma.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6824 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2019 :  03:56:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An isolated half-orc wizard or even a whole tribe of them won't break canon. Realmslore has always had a few characters with unique or "illegal" race/class combinations - Drizzt the drow ranger is a fine example. D&D rules always allow the GM to bend the D&D rules when desired, plus all sorts of rules-bending wishes, artifacts, divine meddling, and special exceptions are littered throughout countless adventures. A wizard could simply be polymorphed into a normally non-wizard race. Late 2E sourcebooks and most 3E/3.5E/d20 sourcebooks are well known for allowing implausible characters to be generated.

There's no doubt that orc shamans exist. Half-orc shamans seem likely (assuming they could attain and hold such position in an orc tribe without getting killed). The question then becomes what is a shaman class? Some versions of shamans work like priests, others like warlocks or sorcerers or wizards, different ideas from different rule supplements. Level limitations (if any) would depend on game edition.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 05 Feb 2019 15:57:59
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
141 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2019 :  12:32:36  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW there is actually Half-Orc sorceress in Road of Patriarch. So there is one canon arcane half-orc caster for you.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8057 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2019 :  19:42:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

An isolated half-orc wizard or even a whole tribe of them won't break canon. Realmslore has always had a few characters with unique or "illegal" race/class combinations - Drizzt the drow ranger is a fine example. D&D rules always allow the GM to bend the D&D rules when desired, plus all sorts of rules-bending wishes, artifacts, divine meddling, and special exceptions are littered throughout countless adventures. A wizard could simply be polymorphed into a normally non-wizard race. Late 2E sourcebooks and most 3E/3.5E/d20 sourcebooks are well known for allowing implausible characters to be generated.

There's no doubt that orc shamans exist. Half-orc shamans seem likely (assuming they could attain and hold such position in an orc tribe without getting killed). The question then becomes what is a shaman class? Some versions of shamans work like priests, others like warlocks or sorcerers or wizards, different ideas from different rule supplements. Level limitations (if any) would depend on game edition.

Good point on the shaman thing, and some versions may call them witch doctors and they get both clerical and wizard spells, but a smaller list of them.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3724 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2019 :  18:57:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unearthed Arcana allows for Drow to be Rangers.

It was Dragon magazine 141 that had the article: "Orcs Throw Spells, Too!" in it. It gives a really good run down of using Orcs (and I'd say Half-Orcs) as spell casters.

The same magazine also has the article "Hey, wanna be a Kobold?" in which it outlines which races can be what classes and to which levels for humanoids.

In that article an Orc with a maximum of 16 Intelligence (for their racial normal maximum anyway) could be a 4th level Magic-User. Not witch doctor, but Magic-User.

The entire magazine is loaded with some good information.

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000