Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Forgotten Realms 4991 DR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2018 :  00:28:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I will hold out diving in until they come out with a dedicated setting book. I'll have a look over their srd but there are lots of nice rulesets for future space travel settings so I might be tempted to steal their fluff and use a different ruleset.

I do like to use a slightly more magitech approach to spelljamming though. Perhaps I can mine some of their mechanical ideas in the srd for my 15th century realms campaigns if my players go beyond Torils atmosphere. Perhaps tone down some of the computer based parts of the spaceships in Starfinder and replace it with arcane magicstations...

EDIT: Just checked, and they have no srd up yet

The main book is the setting book -- it's just that it's also the core rulebook.

The main part of the Starfinder setting is the solar system where Golarion was* -- and there is already Pathfinder source material for that, though the Starfinder book does update it.

*Golarion, the world of the Pathfinder setting, has vanished, and no one knows why, where it went, or even when it disappeared. All the gods will say is that it's still around, somewhere. The reason "when" is a question is because there is a long period of time where historical records are either missing or change every time you look at them, and even the people who were around when the normal flow of history resumed didn't have a clear memory of what happened before.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2018 :  04:23:34  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
How are they going to kill someone that can, on just a whim, render them all utterly powerless?

They have to surprise-attack him with a really high Initiative roll!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2018 :  12:29:26  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
StarFinder System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2018 :  12:46:21  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most appreciated.

Building a spelljammer starship hybrid that I would allow in my "magitech" FR campaign now!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2018 :  14:04:07  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdhavian Tradesman

The Tradesman is a common short-range merchant ship, plying its way between its spaceports-of-call, and not equipped to deal with much more than a similarly-equipped vessel that has turned pirate. The performance of the Tradesman is mediocre at best, and the only reason it has become such a popular vessel is its simplicity (which allows it to be easily built at many different ports, as well as allowing crews with little or no training to handle it), and the fact that its cargo bays and cavernous steerage deck allow it to carry more cargo than most ships its size.

Tier 1

Medium Transport (25 tons, 120 ft length, 30ft wide)

Speed 6; Maneuverability good (turn 2); Jamming Speed 1; Armor Class 14; Target Lock 12

Hull HP 70; Damage Threshold — ; Critical Threshold 11

Shields basic 20 (forward 5, port 5, starboard 5, aft 5) /requires 10 PCU to operate

Attack (Forward) light arcane ballista; 1 crew (2d4) /requires 5 PCU to use

Attack (Turret) amplified magic missile pod; 2 crew (4d8) /requires 10 PCU to use

Arcane Battery Pulse Gray (100 PCU); Jamming Engine Helmsmans Seat (equal to a basic signal hyperdrive and requires 75 PCU to operate); Systems Arcane monitoring station (+0 computer with medium range sensors, 5 PCU to operate), crew quarters (common), mk 3 armor, mk 1 defenses; Expansion Bays cargo holds (3; allowing 18 tons total cargo), arcane laboratory (10 pcu to operate), smugglers compartment (10 tons)

Modifiers +0 Piloting (maximum of 1 Helmsman); Complement 10 (maximum of 3 on weapon stations)

Landing-Land No Landing-Water No

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2018 :  14:41:01  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly I made this ship unable to land from orbit safely, which would imply that Waterdeep would have a space elevator or orbital station reachable by haulers of some kind to unload onto these Tradesman ships.

I think I would prefer the space elevator, giving Waterdeep the ability to maintain mercantile domination over its neighbors into the far future, while making it a clear focal point in the cityscape of the Sword coast: a literal sword piercing through mount Waterdeep.

Who would be in control of cultured tradecenters like Waterdeep? A cabal of mages like the Hidden Lords held sway for a long time, held back by secret syndicates, but I could also see a celestial plutocracy taking over backed by the banks of the Faerunian clergies.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000