Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Demonshields, School of Wonders
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1458 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  10:59:42  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Well rule number one of artefacts is that they should all be unique. And gargauth is a being of godlike power so i would expect him to warp any item he is trapped within.

But if you prefer to keep them separate then it is only a spurious link of geography and timing and powers.

Are there details on the shields' creation?
Maybe he was churning out shields with bound fiends, then oops, looks like a whole quasi-power slipped in... so he decided that it was all good fun, but now it's time for "I, uh, have to go somewhere, don't call me, I'll call you! <TELEPORT>"?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3468 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2017 :  13:40:36  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ive come to change my mind on the demonshield of gargauth recently.

I dont think Halaster had anything to do with its creation.

My initial theory is that gargauth was trapped in that pit since the illythir summoned him to toril (they have done so before and since - narathmault is evidence of that).

Over time the bonds on his prison weaken and when dwarves create a settlement there he is able to manifest as human visage and cause their destruction through lies and temptation (the mythology of which is found in powers and pantheons - but its only the legend not the truth).

Gargauth managed to possess one being (a dwarf or a visitor or maybe even an item sacrificed into his pit) who then was gradually twisted until he looked just like gargauth (i shall name him gargoth because humanoids have trouble pronohncing the infernal tongue).

This gargoth was eventually killed in a fight with the original harpers at an inn in the tunlands.

Gargauth however survived and had been busy. Unther built a settlement where the old dwarven settlement once stood. Gargauth persuaded the untherite wizards to make him an mirror (looks alot like a shield made of mithril). He possessed this item as well.

However in the inevitable conflicts between unther and calimshan over the shaar the shield was lost to calishite forces and ended up in calimshan where it was lost in the conflict between shoon and cormyr over the western heartlands (i think valashar is the name im looking for).

I cant remember how exactly but algashon (sammasters friend) became holder of the shield and was directed to send tuelhalva drakewings to peleveran and free gargauth from the pit.

Now Gargauth is trapped in the shield but at least he is mobile.

Halaster's involvement was to track down the shield in the fields of the dead, alter it to trap gargauth should he ever escape the pit (the imaskari learned their deity binding magics from the pit i reckon) and then put it back where he found it without anyone knowing. He also learned a lot about demonbinding and manufactured a lot of shields that mimicked the original shield of the hidden lord.

I may need to check dates and alter it a bit but thats where im heading with halaster for the moment

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page