Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Forgotten Characters of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2017 :  15:31:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should probably clarify--lots of it definitely can be used, and when added to the current core material, I don't think its a problem. However, the "casually interested" people in my group have also been using the slew of Unearthed Arcana material that came out in the past few months, so adding this on top of that might be a bit much for this campaign.

I'd also like to use this specifically in the Realms, for my own personal feeling of "customized to the setting," and if I use another setting, it's likely to be Kobold Press' Midgard, which looks to have it's own slew of setting specific material coming out.

Definitely worth the price tag, for me, but I've been poking around here for a long time and appreciate the work you put into it. ;)

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2017 :  16:30:28  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I appreciate that. If you (or anyone else for that matter) have specific feedback on things that didn't work as you felt they should or ideas on how to improve things, I'd love to get that too. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2017 :  16:47:24  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Cards 77, Diffan is correct. A lot of it is updating material that already existed in previous editions. There might be some utility in converting back to 3.5E or PF, but probably not much if you have the original source material.

Ok well I guess I'm bit confused then. If it's "new classes, races" etc, then it's just previous 3.x material converted to 5e?

I think better introduction is needed. Especially for those of us in Pathfinder that would like to use this material but not exactly sure how much work would be needed to use it in our games.

Just some clarifying points may be nice.

Are these all preexisting rules from 3.x that have been converted to 5e?

Are these completely "new" and need to be converted to PF? Etc?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2017 :  02:09:07  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry that wasn't clear to you.

As I wrote in the intro, "This supplement offers several new character options for the 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons, grounded in earlier editions of the Forgotten Realms, but useable in almost any setting," and the table of contents is available in both sneak peak options. The options are "new" for 5E, not necessarily "new" to the Realms or even D&D concepts.

The amount of conversion versus new material varied greatly. I did that on purpose. One of the things I wanted to demonstrate is that good design sometimes meant something completely new and sometimes meant something a bit more recycled or modified. I'm also fortunate to have been playing for nearly 40 years and have most published and some unpublished Realmslore to draw upon.

For example, the Oath of the Romantic paladin was never really fleshed out in earlier editions (at least that I recall). The concept existed (paladins of Sune and Milil were mentioned in some sources and 3E Champions of Valor had some substitution levels for paladins of Sune), but I really built the mechanics and much of the fluff on my own and then added the Realms spin. Same is true for the Path of the Shaman and Path of the Brute Shaman barbarians. My 5E scout class is grounded in various versions of the scout from 1E-4E and its core class mechanics are largely a mix of 5E rogue and ranger, but the subclasses are all completely new. I also worked up a Darkness Domain and Luck Domain. They aren't new concept, but I think they are gaps in the existing options for 5E, and I like to think I've given them a good and hopefully clever spin that works well with the 5E subclass mechanics, while also including flavor from the Realms (such as including minor alterations to and alternate names for existing 5E divine spells that align with the deity-specific spells associated with the relevant deities in 1E, 2E, 3E, and 4E). Similarly, I worked up the incantatrix and spellfire wielder pulling on the lore from 1E-3.5E and updating the mechanics in both cases. Neither exists in official form in the 5E Realms.

I also wanted to focus on what struck me as obvious gaps in 5E such as the cleric Charm and Moon domains that were prominent in earlier editions, but didn't necessarily have to be Realms specific, as well as elements that I thought were just neat from the earlier Realms, like the Way of the Jordain monk.

Ultimately, the flexibility of 5E combined with its simplicity (at least compared to 3E and 4E) are two it's strengths and I wanted to bring elements from earlier editions into the new system.

So all that said, if you don't play 5E and you already own tons of Realms products from previous editions, this is not the product for you. If you like 5E (or perhaps if you want some consolidated lore, albeit just some, this is a mechanic focused product), then I like to think this is a useful product for you.

Edited by - TomCosta on 16 May 2017 02:19:44
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2017 :  02:28:55  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Sorry that wasn't clear to you.

As I wrote in the intro, "This supplement offers several new character options for the 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons, grounded in earlier editions of the Forgotten Realms, but useable in almost any setting," and the table of contents is available in both sneak peak options. The options are "new" for 5E, not necessarily "new" to the Realms or even D&D concepts.

The amount of conversion versus new material varied greatly. I did that on purpose. One of the things I wanted to demonstrate is that good design sometimes meant something completely new and sometimes meant something a bit more recycled or modified. I'm also fortunate to have been playing for nearly 40 years and have most published and some unpublished Realmslore to draw upon.

For example, the Oath of the Romantic paladin was never really fleshed out in earlier editions (at least that I recall). The concept existed (paladins of Sune and Milil were mentioned in some sources and 3E Champions of Valor had some substitution levels for paladins of Sune), but I really built the mechanics and much of the fluff on my own and then added the Realms spin. Same is true for the Path of the Shaman and Path of the Brute Shaman barbarians. My 5E scout class is grounded in various versions of the scout from 1E-4E and its core class mechanics are largely a mix of 5E rogue and ranger, but the subclasses are all completely new. I also worked up a Darkness Domain and Luck Domain. They aren't new concept, but I think they are gaps in the existing options for 5E, and I like to think I've given them a good and hopefully clever spin that works well with the 5E subclass mechanics, while also including flavor from the Realms (such as including minor alterations to and alternate names for existing 5E divine spells that align with the deity-specific spells associated with the relevant deities in 1E, 2E, 3E, and 4E). Similarly, I worked up the incantatrix and spellfire wielder pulling on the lore from 1E-3.5E and updating the mechanics in both cases. Neither exists in official form in the 5E Realms.

I also wanted to focus on what struck me as obvious gaps in 5E such as the cleric Charm and Moon domains that were prominent in earlier editions, but didn't necessarily have to be Realms specific, as well as elements that I thought were just neat from the earlier Realms, like the Way of the Jordain monk.

Ultimately, the flexibility of 5E combined with its simplicity (at least compared to 3E and 4E) are two it's strengths and I wanted to bring elements from earlier editions into the new system.

So all that said, if you don't play 5E and you already own tons of Realms products from previous editions, this is not the product for you. If you like 5E (or perhaps if you want some consolidated lore, albeit just some, this is a mechanic focused product), then I like to think this is a useful product for you.

Thanks that helps. Do you think you'd ever spin this off into a lore only document?

It sounds like you've gone into some lore nooks and crannies that weren't covered in previous Realms editions.

I still think matching these classes lore wise with a Pathfinder mechanic even if it's cookie cutter mix and match abilities would be appealing, because everything is so Realms centric.

If that's ever on your radar I'd love to help out.

I think this may be worth it for the lore alone.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2017 :  02:47:44  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I'm really loving 5E and don't have any intention of going back to 3E of PF. As for the lore, while I've pulled it from multiple pages and some nooks and crannies, the document is still mechanics focused, though I hope I was successful in flavoring the mechanics with the lore.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2017 :  03:17:23  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, if you want new lore, I encourage you to take a look at other DM's Guild titles from George Krashos and the other scribes on these boards. There's some good stuff out there. Also take a look at all the stuff from 3E right here at Candlekeep.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1112 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  16:00:42  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage  Click to see hashimashadoo's MSN Messenger address Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been plugging the book Tom, and word has it that Erik Scott de Bie's new D&D 5e project might require some consultation with you ;)

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2017 :  22:47:22  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be sweet. Thank you very much. Should I reach out to Erik? I think I have his email still (at least from 10 years back)? Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1112 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2017 :  20:42:40  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage  Click to see hashimashadoo's MSN Messenger address Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck yeah you should reach out! He's got nothing but praise for what you do.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  15:40:06  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI, I have posted another update of the file. Mostly minor edits. (For some reason the full size preview is not working though/yet.) http://www.dmsguild.com/product/207031/Forgotten-Characters-of-the-Realms?term=forgotten+characters&test_epoch=0
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000