Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Longbow vs. Javelin
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2018 :  06:36:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I pointed out earlier in this scroll, D&D is intended to be a game and D&D is not intended to be a "realistic" combat simulation. Longbows and longswords are iconic hero weapons and they get a little too much love in the game rules - their damages seem a little disproportionate (to me) when compared to a big pointy stick which (I think) should offer a lot more killing power.

For argument's sake, in the most extreme case a longbow arrow or a javelin could fully impale a target - in one side and out the other - and basically focus all the power from one arm into a sharp penetrating point of impact - but the arrow shaft has about half the thickness of a finger while the javelin is basically a broomstick, and an arrowhead certainly has less edge on it than a spearhead. Arrows might be the faster of these two weapons, but both can fly fast enough to hit a target which doesn't want to be hit, and a javelin being used in melee would certainly pack more punch (especially if used two-handed, multiplied by the attacker's mass/momentum, somehow braced against the ground or other terrain, etc).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 02 Aug 2018 06:37:43
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2018 :  06:41:49  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heavy crossbows that cause extra damage to Lawful and Good creatures are my staple. Add in Quarrels that have their own damage bonuses and special innate properties and Magical bonuses. Sure not as good as a wand of fireballs but as a backup weapon it works great.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000