Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tharsult Illithids and Drow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2017 :  01:54:34  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I like that idea. Think they'd say Chevron 2 locked etc? Hehehe
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2017 :  16:16:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What comes around goes around...

I was reading through Dungeon Magazine #144, in order to get the Evermoor sites therein properly placed on my new map (so much fun, when that was done with the warped 3e maps). So having read through that and gotten my mapping objectives out of the way, I couldn't help but notice the very next adventure in that mag. was on for the Isle of Dread. I also couldn't help but notice its about Illithids*... under an island.

So just for shirts & giggles I sized the IoD map to an FR one, and it turns out the the IoD is just over two times the size of Tharsult, so it still fits just fine in that spot. In fact, even the climate fits fine in that spot - right near chult makes so much sense, IMO.

Map of about what that might look like

Now I know the Isle of Dread was (is?) officially in Mystara, but it later got 'moved' to Greyhawk. Hmmmm... a large piece of terrain that gets swapped between worlds? Sounds to me like it could have 'wandered' into FR in 4e (with the Spellplague and all). The 5e 'reset' to earlier geography makes it a wee bit harder, but not really.

Personally, I don't like losing anything when I map - I prefer 'additive design', but seriously, whoever used Tharsult? (and yes, I am aware five of you just raised your hands... out of a planet of 8 billion...) So, although I personally wouldn't place it there (I do have plans to place it in FR at a later time, in a new configuration with Chult, Abeir {Laerakond}, Lantan, and Nimbral... and possibly the Isle of the Ape and Jarkandor), there is no reason some enterprising DM couldn't use that adventure path in a 4e/5e conversion for FR. And since the other official settings seem to be shelved, and some of their stuff has been taken by FR in other products recently, why not just say the IoD wound-up on Abeir (the God's Self-Storage unit), and its in the same spot as Tharsult (they may have swapped during the Spellplague, and have now swapped back as of 5e) - that would mean you could say that "on certain nights", or "when weather conditions are just right" (during an electrical storm?), etc, etc... one can still sail to the Isle of Dread from FR.

So, the best of both worlds... literally.

*Okay, just looking through it closer, and I may have jumped the gun a bit. Its about Kopru - I saw the pic with the tentcales (not just the Kopru - there is this weird 'elder evil' thing called a Bilewretch that has the head of an illithid) around the mouth and just assumed...

Still, its an entire Underdark locale - The Lightless Depths - beneath an island, that includes MANY Underdark critters/races, including aboleth, so its not too much of a stretch to throw some illithids into the mix.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Mar 2017 18:23:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2017 :  19:04:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep coming back to this thread. {sigh}

Because of the side-conversation we had about "other sites beneath Neverwinter Wood", I've chosen to ask this here:

What the heck is Nurr Throth?

Its just south (and teensy bit west) of Gauntlgrym. I just bought Mike Schley's Underdark map (once again, to make sure I have EVERYTHING on my maps), and this is a new one on me. And its not in the (4e) Neverwinter Campaign Guide - it comes from the Out of the Abyss product, which I do not have, nor intend to purchase.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2017 :  23:02:12  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nuur Throth, the Great Door, is mentioned primarily in 3e's Underdark accessory, where it gets a write up. It's a large cavern housing an immensely powerful earth node. What's an earth node, you ask? No idea. There's also a tunnel connecting it to Gauntlgrym's lower halls.

As far as I'm aware (though I haven't read the adventure), it's not actually in Out of the Abyss. The map on Mike Schley's website has more sites than the map that actually made it into the product - this is a 3e-era site.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  01:02:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I even checked the 3e source map, and didn't see it... Uh-DOH!

Thanks for the heads-up.

The Neverwinter Underdark (The 'Neverdark'? Naw... doesn't sound right...) just keeps getting busier and busier.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  05:49:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Nuur Throth, the Great Door, is mentioned primarily in 3e's Underdark accessory, where it gets a write up. It's a large cavern housing an immensely powerful earth node. What's an earth node, you ask? No idea. There's also a tunnel connecting it to Gauntlgrym's lower halls.
Going from memory, it's probably an extension of the "Nodes-concept" introduced through 3e's Champions of Ruin.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000