Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Has Bane been too quiet recently?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  21:20:07  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

quote:
Which leads to a further question: do undead have souls?

I think this is interestingly considered when judged against three RL philosophers quotes about the soul, and then considering what happens when someone in the Realms dies.

• "The body will not be identical to the soul. The soul is the form of a natural body having life potentially the soul is not separable from the body" (Aristotle, De Anima)
  • "So that what I say is to the soul by which I am what I am is entirely distinct from the body, and it is even easier to know him (Rene Descartes, Discourse on Method)

I really think those are interesting considerations when contemplating the nature of undeath and a soul.

quote:
May depend on the undead? Don't liches have phylacteries for their souls, whereas lower level undead (like zombies) wouldn't, as their souls have already moved on?

That is also a great point too, Great Reader CorellonsDevout. I mean, it would seem to be that the notion that Descartes had would be correct. The soul is separate.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2020 :  18:51:39  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would not take the "Undead" trilogy too seriously. Assuming the Dread Ring ritual would have worked as Szass Tam thought it would, surely Bane would have detected Szass Tam's attempt - he already promised his soul to Bane after 1,000 years - and seized his soul before the ritual finished. One would also think Larloch kept a close eye on our most esteemed Zulkir of Necromancy after that deal with Thakorsil's Seat and the Death Moon Orb. He could have squashed Szass Tam's plans -and Szass Tam himself - before Bane lifted a finger.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Damn, this entire thread and nobody mentioned that his was the state religion of Thay for all of 4e, helping Szass Tam consolidate power?

On a sidenote for that, so if one wants to destroy Szass Tam, one needs to bring other religions back to Thay in theory, such that he reneges his deal and has to give up his soul? Just a thought. Then again, I've been proposing that Mystra's resurgence has to do with Tam's failed ritual draining power into her and that the whole "Tome of Fastrin the Delver" was an elaborate lie that confused even him. It possibly even had some involvement with kicking off the second sundering.

Edited by - Delnyn on 14 Nov 2020 18:53:04
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2020 :  01:38:03  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

quote:
...he already promised his soul to Bane after 1,000 years - and seized his soul before the ritual finished.

This really begs the question: exactly how many times did Szass Tam try to thwart any and all efforts by Lord Bane, and when Bane died, did that restart the 1,000 years?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000