Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Has Bane been too quiet recently?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5986 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2020 :  02:43:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which leads to a further question: do undead have souls?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
5282 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2020 :  07:15:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me the answer is no.

I decided a soul is just positive energy.

A little bit of positive energy is enough to give life some semblance of life to something. So you can animate an object with the tiniest spark of positive energy.

Plants have a bit more positive energy. Animals have a bit more than that and humanoids have the most.

Now positive energy must feed off life experience and grow and replicate itself, that is why when people live and do lots of things they advance in levels.
Positive energy also retains some of that information and experience so that when you die your soul remembers pieces about its existence (the greater your experience, the larger the amount of positive energy, the more it remembers).

When you clone a soul it breaks a piece off and that piece of positive energy can start forming it's own experiences and growing itself. When you have children it breaks a piece off the souls of both parents (a much smaller piece) and that child makes it's own experiences and grows its soul larger.

Undead of course are created with negative energy, which is anathema to positive energy.
In the case of skeletons and zombies where the soul has already departed, the negative energy feeds animates the body like an automaton.

In ghouls and ghosts they must have enough negative energy to form their own anti soul of sorts but one with little more than animal intelligence.

Vampires infect a body with negative energy that feeds off and destroys the soul of the host, creating a mimic negative energy version of that soul.

Liches trap the positive energy soul in a phylactery and slowly drain it.

I'm gonna guess positive energy is very unstable and difficult to work with normally unless it has been tempered into a soul by living. So souls are highly prized as being one of the few workable sources of positive energy (everything else just explodes or burns). So outsiders really want this stuff.

Negative energy can form the anti version of souls but it's a longer, slower process (zombies left alone in a crypt for centuries developing their own little quirks. The results are always more feral and destructive as it hunters to feed on positive energy because negative energy is not self sustaining on the material plane (which is powered by positive energy).

That's just how I play it. Rather than make the soul something different I chose to make it just a basic building block of dnd life.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2536 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2020 :  22:07:45  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May depend on the undead? Don't liches have phylacteries for their souls, whereas lower level undead (like zombies) wouldn't, as their souls have already moved on?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9656 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2020 :  23:07:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Oh, I hadn't seen this question until Corellonsdevout responded. Yeah, like they said, I feel it depends on the type of undead. I personally feel that liches DO have souls that they've tied up in phylacteries. Its intrinsic to their design. There's some other undead which seem similar (for instance, skeletal warriors... the ones who are tied to a circlet which seems to contain their souls... they seem to be like that. Later iterations of death knights also are more lich like). Skeleons and zombies don't. Now, when you get to a creature like a mummy and a vampire, that's when it gets a little more nebulous.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Learned Scribe

162 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2020 :  07:04:44  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Oh, I hadn't seen this question until Corellonsdevout responded. Yeah, like they said, I feel it depends on the type of undead. I personally feel that liches DO have souls that they've tied up in phylacteries. Its intrinsic to their design. There's some other undead which seem similar (for instance, skeletal warriors... the ones who are tied to a circlet which seems to contain their souls... they seem to be like that. Later iterations of death knights also are more lich like). Skeleons and zombies don't. Now, when you get to a creature like a mummy and a vampire, that's when it gets a little more nebulous.

I think alongside all of the spells involved in the lichdom ritual go toward the extreme effort of preserving your soul in the transition, but I'd bet you would need a hell of a lot of self-obsession and ego to literally fuel yourself off of the souls of others and not slowly become a warped hating vortex of the suffering you inflicted upon others.

Also, hell yes souls and positive energy conversation? How ironic this all came from thread necromancy..

..as for Bane.. has he done anything any new player would care about? My archives have no data for him since one hundred and fourty years ago.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000