Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Hello and need help with a ressurection spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  03:27:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really?. I can manage both masterfully...at least most of the time .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  16:15:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Malanthius,

I would consider this in a roundabout way, from the angle of process involved in death, and what happens at that moment of death. As you posted a bit later down below, it is known that Karsus died, fell to Toril in petrified form, and you can summon him up in the vestige of boulder now. (Lords of Darkness, p81) Since we know that Jergal had already left his job and Myrkul was the god of dead when Karsus died (Lost Empires of Faerun, p43), we can reasonably surmise that Myrkul would want a death for Karsus. Not out of compassion of course, but because the Lord of the Dead's "...hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me." He clearly means to not be denied. I could see getting a Most Holy Death to break the magic containing Karsus, bringing him back to life, thus ensuring that death's sweet embrace will most assuredly come to him in the future, at some point.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Malanthius

Greetings,

This is probably going to sound a little extreme but I've finally decided on the major villian for my next campaign and i'm just a little uncertain how to bring him back from the dead.

You may have heard of him before, Karsus the Great, Karsus the Mad.
The story i'm putting together is somehow he comes back, realizes what happened to him, and decides to try to steal the goddess of magick's powers again by going through the chosen first.
Any helpful hints on ressurecting him, and does anybody have any solid info on what actually happened to his body?
Thanks in advance,

Mal

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  18:44:54  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If a petrified creature is damaged while petrified and then restored to flesh, it would incur whatever damage. Cut of a head = Dead. Cut out a heart = dead, etc. etc. One could argue that the being could be restored, whole, by a properly worded wish spell.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2018 :  20:17:22  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Mage,

Very nice consideration. Though I agree, for the entertainment value alone, I reference the pondering of Vangerdahast from "Cormyr: A Novel":

quote:
“As Vangerdahast watched Otka lay out her legions of ants---he had deduced her scale now, one ant per cohort---he thought about using the wish again. If Nalavara had been moved to Cormyr be being wished out of existence, perhaps Vangerdahast could do the same thing by wishing himself out of existence. He could tell by the way Rowen’s pearly eyes were constantly drawn to the ring that it still had plenty of magic in it, and it seemed reasonable to hope that if a thing worked once, it would work again.
The trouble was that wishes were reasonable things. They were entirely reasonable, and it was that which made them entirely unpredictable. For the multiverse to stay in balance, there had to be a certain equilibrium to wishes, so that even as the thing the wisher asked was granted, something he did not wish also came to be. If people could simply go around wishing things without consequences, the multiverse would quickly grow unstable and spin out of control. By wishing Nalvara out of existence, he had merely taken her out of his immediate existence and placed her in another where he wanted her even less, and the multiverse had stayed in balance.
To wish himself back to Cormyr, he would have to wish for what he did not desire and hope that what he actually desired came about in reaction. He would have to wish himself out of existence but choose his words carefully enough to be certain that he came back into existence in Cormyr. That would, of course, trigger another reaction, since what he really desired could not possibly be as important as what he truly desired but did not wish. . . Vangerdahast felt as though he were standing between two mirrors of trying to find the last reflection when there simply was not one. No matter how carefully he worded the wish, he would be playing knucklebones with his own life. Even if he did find a way to cheat the spell, he would be gambling with the multiverse itself. That he could not do, even to save Cormyr.
Otka made her final assignments and turned to address her generals, reminding them of how much they owed Nalvara for bringing them the gift of iron and civilization, and that all the Giver had ever asked of them was that one day they would go stop the depredations of the human beings.”

Greatly appreciated post, Master Mage.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

If a petrified creature is damaged while petrified and then restored to flesh, it would incur whatever damage. Cut of a head = Dead. Cut out a heart = dead, etc. etc. One could argue that the being could be restored, whole, by a properly worded wish spell.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  20:48:55  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Mage,

Did you ever end up figuring out the wording of that 'Wish' spell? ;)

I'd love to hear it!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000