Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Old Empires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  14:02:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's interesting, although filled with a few too many statements for my liking (pure law, cannot have been created, etc).

I will have to push it to one side for now as it seems more relevant to the shaar than unther but I will bear it in mind.

I still see no problem lumping all the incarnum stuff into normal magic. Using another being or item as a conduit for spellcasting is fairly commonplace (I reckon that's how demigods grant spells to followers). So using a spirit or a total or even a big blue blob of pure law is just a variation of the same.

I'm tempted to link it to a departed godking though. I created a number of godkings that fled Unther when Gilgeam became leader so one of them could have travelled to uthangol and tried to ascend to true godhood.

What happened in the Shaar I don't think we will ever know. But good find sleyvas, I appreciate it as I often overlook core sources.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  14:26:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, actually, where I might be going with it is the old story of Asgorath/Asgoroth the world shaper primordial that destroyed a "crystal sun"/"ice moon" Zotha. This caused the TearFall. Perhaps this "entity" was cracked and portions of its remaining self became aligned (whereas its whole was an unaligned entity/primordial). Also, I wouldn't have all of these components hitting the shaar at the same time necessarily, but rather over time. Some of it may be what crashed into Halruaa. Some of it may be this Sapphire Eidolon. Some of it may be what crashed into the Priador in several spots and which we've recently been calling the Athora. Some of it may be what's down in the Curna Mountains and the Adama's Tooth in Durpar. Some of it may have crashed long ago in the Utter East and be what was related to the formation of the "Circle of Order" led by the "Lord of Lands" / "Lady of Tides" / "Lord of Flame" / and the rogue element "Tartyron" who broke from the order. Noting these various "Lords" may have been mortal beings who learned to draw on these "power sources" that fell from the sky, and eventually created the bloodforges. Also, they may have been affected by the tainting of the elements they were drawing FROM (for instance, maybe what the Imaskari did to Pandorym actually CAUSED Tartyron the mortal to turn from Order).

Where I KNOW I will be going with this concept is that in the Shaar itself, there's a primordial like "god" mentioned in the 2e Complete Barbarian's Handbook named Khass who is a rain god. I'm linking him to such a power source which cracked into the surface, created the great rift, caused the land rise and buried itself in the earth. Eventually, the underground river that comes out in Peleveran in the cliffside I'm saying travelled the path created by this object. This rain god, I'm giving him several alternate names specifically amongst the tribes of the Shaar as also known as Enku, Enkhassu, Khassu and Khanu, which I think you'll get the obvious references to gods in Unther.

Also, while thematically it would make sense to have all these things come crashing to the surface at once, from a "consistency" standpoint, it probably would make more sense if they came crashing down at different times. Thus, what crashed into Halruaa may have happened centuries or even millenia before what crashed and formed the great rift/landrise and that may have been before this Sapphire Eidolon. However, SOME of it may have been at the same time (such as if something crashed into the utter east).

In addition, I very much like the idea that while some of these have a powerful alignment factor, I think all of them should have a powerful "elemental"/"primordial" factor. For instance, the Athora of Thay has ties to fire and possibly earth in the form of magma. The one I was talking about with Khass might have strong ties to wind and water, but also possibly plants as well (as the easterners have a different view on elements and they may be correct). If this is the case, possibly beings such as Ramman.. Ishtar... etc... came from the Shaar into Unther.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 04 Dec 2018 14:39:13
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  20:50:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Box of Death from Scott Bennie's enhancement.

A jewel laden box bearing the horned lady symbol of Isis. If opened and the true name of a target is spoken then the target is slowed, unable to use magic, and has a horde of scarabs come to kill them.

Why on earth would the goddess Isis have such a magic item crafted in her name, or alternatively why would she claim such a magic item for her own.

I'm wondering if this horned lady symbol is not the symbol of another deity, perhaps one worshipped by the Turami (they seem a bit darker in outlook than the Mulan).

Alteratively it could be Imaskari. I had linked the scarabs to a mistake in the lifecycle of the spellweavers, it could be a spellweaver item (although it would have to be a rogue outcast spellweaver as I don't believe a normal spellweaver would take advantage of another's misfortune in such a way).
Perhaps the horned lady could be a corruption of a symbol Jergal used when he was walking amongst the Imaskari trying to teach them of magic and destroy them at the same time.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2018 :  18:54:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Onto what appears to be the royal regalia of Mulhorand. Scott Bennie has the crown, a sword, and a bunch of other items that I will probably link to powerful magic found in imaskari. I will also add in the Sun Throne and the chariot of Horus.

The question is should there be any lost regalia. As well as being an excellent plot hook it seems quite normal for nations to have many sets of regalia over a long period (I think England has 3 or for crowns and look what happened with the Scottish regalia when it was conquered by england).

I imagine there is potential for Ras regalia to become lost with his death and the chaos of civil war (that I added). Perhaps the rebellion of Thay is also another opportunity. Otherwise the walls of Skuld have never been breached so foreign army looting isn't an option, but theft is, huriot is the greatest thief and perhaps he is known as such for stealing one of the crown jewels.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2018 :  22:52:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a massive fan of stolen regalia. And who says the walls of Skuld have never been breached? Lots of opportunities for a sahuagin attack or dragon assault in the patchy Mulhorandi historical narrative.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  05:56:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately canon says the walls have never been breached. Of course then we find out the beacon of ptah was stolen but I put that on a lighthouse in the docks so technically it was outside the city walls. However if you are happy for that
At to be an incorrect colloquial saying then so am i

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  08:40:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Unfortunately canon says the walls have never been breached. Of course then we find out the beacon of ptah was stolen but I put that on a lighthouse in the docks so technically it was outside the city walls. However if you are happy for that
At to be an incorrect colloquial saying then so am i

Hehe, that's why I used the examples I did. The sahuagin came up from the harbor and the dragons flew over the walls. No wall breaching required.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  10:14:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's perfect, it makes the conceit of the mulhorandi even worse that they would use linguistic semantics to prove their superiority to others.

So sahuagin invaders will have to be from -800 Dr to today, with an increase in activity several centuries ago (I will check my unther noted for when that rise in activity is). I'm having a hard time picturing sahuagin making it from the docks to the city of the gods and over the internal walls in the heat but then maybe they exploited aqueducts (If mulhorand has them). I've got malenti operating in Unther and I figure that malenti can look like whatever races are nearby (so humans as well as sea elves), so an infiltration of sahuagin is easily doable. They question is why go for the crown jewels, it is the most heavily defended part of the city so there must be something specific they want, perhaps it was part of Thays alliance with them "get me this item and we will give you xxx, then we agree not to attack each other).

Dragons is easy, mulhorand has tons of them nearby and there were lots more long ago. I figure gestaniius is most underused in Mulhorands history so to have her rip open the solarium and steal Ras royal regalia right in front of the entire royal court. Why would a Dragon do it, because she can, and most of those items are repurposed imaskari items and most of the dragons in mulhorand are descended from dragons enslaved by the imaskari.

I'm toying with making the word suzerain being an imaskari derived word that meansdragon collar (suzaar - Dragon, red in - collar). There's no reason why the word cannot spread around faerun in 3000 years.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  14:55:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding regalia of Mulhorand, it could be fun to just throw out "types" of regalia, even if its just names. To that end, why don't we throw some stuff around for a post or two. I'd even go so far as to include some things that DON'T feel Egyptian just to make this culture a bit more realmsian. After all, in theory, they did have contact with cultures in the hordelands that may have done things in an unusual way.

The Snake Staff of Set
The Jeweled Scarab Brooch of Nephthys
The Ornamented Drinking Horns of Hathor
The Cornucopia of Hathor
The Forceps of Hathor
The Sarcophagus of Osiris
The Crocodile Tooth Necklace of Sebekar
The Scepter of Isis
The Plough of Geb
The Mattock of Geb
The Reed Wand of Thoth
The Amber Hawk of Horus
The Marble Lions of Bast
The Spear of Anhur
The Shield of Anhur
The Dice of Bes

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  15:28:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I took the shield of heru from Scott Bennie enhancement, I made it the former capstone of the dome of inupras.

Khopesh of Anhur-Re, that's pretty much as is, not sure if it should be included in the royal regalia except that it has become a close advisor of the pharaoh (It's sentient) and so spends all it's time in the solarium.

I've got the jeweller scarab which was an encysted scarabs that crystallized inside Ras body (I'm not saying how it was removed). It bestows healing properties upon those who touch it, rumours are it can cure death.

The scales of Horus are his old suit of bronze scale that he wore during the siege of imaskari, later enchanted to its current status.

The ankh of life is a must have, Ras former staff that was buried in the thazalhar.

Whatever these items are they have to be connected to Ra or Horus or the undying kings.
I think all of Ras regalia are lost, some of Horus-Re are gone.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  20:45:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So dates for Sahuagin.

656 DR, sahuagin send raiding parties over the Sharksbane Wall because of Merrow raiding them.

720 DR, sahuagin raise Myth Nantar

1018 DR, sahuagin battle Tchazzar in the Bay of Chessenta presumably.

1296 DR, sahuagin kills Prince Aldem of Eadraal.

So it looks like from 656 DR onwards sahuagin numbers and aggression are on the rise. The big question is why would sahuagin attack Mulhorand and steal magical artefacts (how would they even know they were there).

My initial thoughts are 922 DR or slightly earlier (920 DR Year of Great Riches in preparation for Thay's rebellion.) Thay has an agreement of sorts with the sahuagin so maybe the association dates back to this time. Thay did organize pirates to steal the Beacon of Light during the second invasion in 1280 DR so it is plausible that they try to steal powerful magic while the enemy is diverted or try to steal magic to weaken them before or during an invasion.

So 922 DR the sahuagin attempt to steal precious artefacts either for themselves (acting upon information from Thay), or on behalf of Thay for some payment they desire.

Next is a dragon stealing artefacts. Could have occurred at any time.
As mentioned before Gestaniius is important enough to get a writeup in Old Empires and is one of three vessels of tiamat, but otherwise has done nothing in 600 years except eat caravans and slaves and destroy villages, so perhaps I could use her and give her an event to beef up her history.

Gestaniius has been around for at least 600 years, presumably she was part of the blue dragon family in Raurin but left or was booted out for whatever reason (perhaps she was just tooo mean and aggressive).
I could have Gestaniius also attack Skuld at the same time as the sahuagin and carry off a number of artefacts (saves coming up with two dates). The dragon could be taking advantage of the war between Mulhorand and Thay (and the lighter defences in Skuld as a result) and perhaps avenging some imagined slight. I note the tomb of Horuseres II was built into the side of Dragonsword Mountains and Gestaniius lives in those mountains, Horuseres II died in 921 DR and so perhaps construction of the tomb started in late 921 DR and Gestaniius does not like human insects building on her territory.

So Thay starts a war in 922 DR, a number of Pharaohs go off to war and snuff it, and Gestaniius takes advantage of the war and plunders the Solarium (rip off the crystal top and climb inside). She steals a large portion of Ra's regalia while the sahuagin plunder a number of lesser artefacts, and the Mulhorandi are left with the dregs.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  20:48:24  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And bizarrely 922 DR is the Year of Spouting Fish, fits a sahuagin attack kind of.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  20:58:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the royal regalia on display in the solarium could be mostly replicas.

Also the vault in Neldorild belonging to the Church of Nephthys might be a good place to secretly store the remaining regalia.

I was thinking of the name Fasarwen Laran, meaning Gifts of the Gods.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2018 :  22:31:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All looks good to me. Mind if I steal some of that?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2018 :  04:35:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steal anything you like George, in fact I would be honoured to have my work stolen by yourself

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 07 Dec 2018 09:39:49
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2018 :  09:48:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, crown of Mulhorand. Scott Bennie has it as a helm of brilliance which I'm more than happy to keep. It has a distinct horned appearance (a typical circle with a horn pointing upwards on the left and right side of the crown).
Now the crown could be imaskari in origin but it can't be one of their stolen regalia because the imaskarcana are the regalia of imaskari and the crown imaskarcana has already been detailed and has a location.
It could still be imaskari in origin and belong to another artificer or could perhaps be an item that first spurred magic use among the imaskari (the early tribe found this helm and it's boost to intelligence inspired greater magic use).

Alternatively it could have another origin entirely. It could be a gift from the dwarves but the godkings were not kind to dwarves which would mean it was only constructed and became part of the regalia after -150 DR when the godkings departed mortal affairs. Might be problematic if old depictions of Ra have him wearing a similar crown.

It could be of turami origin but I've been wary of making them magically powerful as it doesn't fit.

So that leaves spellweaver. For the box of death I've already changed the horned lady symbol to actually be an alien looking head with antennae on the top (horns). It could have been an item found by the turami and taken by the mulhorandi later.
Why would the spellweavers make a helm of brilliance, well they have history of gifting powerful magic items to lesser races to try and make them destroy their own civilisations so the sarrukh can enslave them.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2018 :  14:39:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When was this Crown of Mulhorand created/made the crown of Mulhorand? Before or after the death of Ra and the orcgate wars? Do we know? I would note that for "horn"/"bull" symbologies, the Untheric gods have a lot of bull symbolism (for instance, Ramman in much of our world lore is depicted as a bull, Gilgamesh faces a bull of heaven or somesuch, etc..), and I wouldn't be surprised if the Hordelands, Raumathar, the Shaar, and Narfell all might favor horns (as well as the dwarves of the Great Rift). Then of course, there's also Hathor, who is also symbolized with horns as a cow.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 07 Dec 2018 14:43:48
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2018 :  14:59:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will investigate the crown tonight when I'm at my sources. I don't think it has any detail at all beyond a throwaway indirect reference or two in old empires. Scott Bennie is the only concrete mention and I don't think that gives a date.

I steer clear of real world mythology generally as it doesn't correlate directly and is a loose inspiration at best. thus far I've found nothing in unther to indicate bull symbolism, i went with naked athleticism and the perfection of man symbology instead as that is what gilgeam likes in his writeup (one reason why I made field as his former concubine).

I think it's free reign creation for the crown. I'm tempted to go dwarf or turami (repurposed spellweaver) for thematic reasons as well as the fact there isn't much turami and dwarf influence on mulhorand and there should be more.

As a complete aside, anyone know what happened to markustay, he suddenly disappeared again.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2018 :  21:01:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got to Halcaunt, noted he is treated as a political Pariah because he kept going on about the Cult of Set.

This says to me that people didn't believe the Cult of Set still existed (assumption is that they think it died out long ago).

For some reason Halcaunt fervently believes they do exist, enough to put his entire political career at risk.

I had already discovered Seti (not his original name) is masquerading as a merchant. I made up a caravan company (The Desert Winds) that Seti (before he became Incarnation of Set) used to try an find a route through Raurin to Durpar. His first expedition failed and he was captured by cultists of Set and accidentally consumed some of Set's blood and became the Incarnation of Set (by chance he also happened to be descended from Set and so wasn't killed by the ritual).

Seti uses his caravan company (the cult help it move caravans through Raurin to Durpar to make huge profits) to move people and information between cult cells.

So I figure Halcaunt was a wandering priest of Osiris who joined the first disastrous expedition of Seti and watched Seti wander into the desert and believes entirely that Seti should be dead. Hearing rumours of the Cult of Set once more, he comes to the conclusion that Seti the merchant is actually a follower of Set, but cant find any evidence no matter how hard he investigates. Soon his friends abandon him as he starts seeing plots of Set everywhere, the irony is of course that Seti is the leader of the Cult of Set that he is now re-establishing after it had died out centuries ago.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2018 :  00:17:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I will investigate the crown tonight when I'm at my sources. I don't think it has any detail at all beyond a throwaway indirect reference or two in old empires. Scott Bennie is the only concrete mention and I don't think that gives a date.

I steer clear of real world mythology generally as it doesn't correlate directly and is a loose inspiration at best. thus far I've found nothing in unther to indicate bull symbolism, i went with naked athleticism and the perfection of man symbology instead as that is what gilgeam likes in his writeup (one reason why I made field as his former concubine).

I think it's free reign creation for the crown. I'm tempted to go dwarf or turami (repurposed spellweaver) for thematic reasons as well as the fact there isn't much turami and dwarf influence on mulhorand and there should be more.

As a complete aside, anyone know what happened to markustay, he suddenly disappeared again.

Yeah, I miss Markustay too. Haven't seen him for several months.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2018 :  00:18:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I miss Markustay too. Haven't seen him for several months.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2018 :  03:52:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

History shows that makrustay drifts in and out of the 'Keep and an online presence in general. He was helping me out on a project which he seemed eager to be a part of and then he ... wasn't. No biggie from my end as RL has a habit of getting in the way of this stuff. He'll no doubt turn up again in due course. Or not.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2018 :  15:44:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added in rainbow birds (peacocks) that I noted were mentioned a few times but only once associated with mulhorand.

I gave them a rainbow like plumage when they do their dance, and this looking eight at it can be dazzled or even hypnotized.

Not knowing where they come from I picked Durpar and ulgarth originally and said they were brought to raurin by the imaskari and then moved to murghom and semphar.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2018 :  16:19:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Added in rainbow birds (peacocks) that I noted were mentioned a few times but only once associated with mulhorand.

I gave them a rainbow like plumage when they do their dance, and this looking eight at it can be dazzled or even hypnotized.

Remarkable bird, isn't in, squire? Lovely plumage!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2018 :  20:51:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I recognize that sketch but I cant recall what its from.

On to my latest find. So Semkhrun was home to an oracle which was misused by the Masters of the Oracle to the point that they declared a rival to the throne of Mulhorand following the death of the godking. Mulhorand was not happy and raised Semkhrun to the ground. The city has been looted for centuries.

So there are several ways this can turn out. Either this raising of Semkhrun happened following the Orcgate Wars and the death of the actual godking Ra. Which means Semkhrun lasted only about 100 years before being destroyed.
Or alternatively the term "godking" just means pharaoh and shortly after the death of a pharaoh Semphar effectively rebelled from Mulhorand and declared a rival claimant to the throne. Semkhrun was then raised but it doesn't necessarily mean that Semphar was conquered by Mulhorand (it might have burned the city but could not complete the conquest).

-1500 DR Semphar conquered by Mulhorand.
-1048 DR I've got Semphar as becoming independent around the Orcgate Wars.
-202 DR It was conquered by the Kalmyks.
-120 DR it declares independence of the Kalmyks and gradually comes under the sway of Mulhorand again.
-39 DR Semphar rebels when the Havi tribe attack Murghom

and that's it for Semphar. So Semkhrun could have been destroyed between -1048 DR and -202 DR, or it could have been destroyed after -39 DR.
The text says that the godking died childless and so an idiot cousin under control of the Oracle was declared the rightful Pharaoh by the Oracle.
It would be easier and expected if this occurred sometime around Thay's rebellion. An awful lot of incarnations were slain and there were no suitable Horus-Re candidates for 7 years (an incarnation of Thoth was appointed instead).
So could it be that Semphar lured a relative of Ramenhorus II to Semphar (with promises of wealth and power etc) and declared him king. It might have been taken seriously enough by the political elite of Mulhorand for them to declare a regency (Thothibistep I as Pharaoh). Then Mulhorand marches on Semkhrun and raises the capital to the ground.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2018 :  21:10:51  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Remarkable bird, isn't in, squire? Lovely plumage!

Pining for the fjords, 'e is.

Dazzlerdal, if you're looking for another name for your rainbow bird, the 2E Menzo box (and the 4E Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue book as well) have the following note;

quote:
soar countless types of avians from the World Above, including many exotic species (among them the namesake peacock­like cathlyre)

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2018 :  21:40:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must be a hitchikers guide to the galaxy quote if it's about fjords.

As for the menzoberranzan name, it's a bit far away from mulhorand and I'm guessing the name must be rendered in the language of the drow. It is odd but cathlyre reminds me of dambrath for some reason (not at my sources so can't see why but I'm guessing since dambrath is a drow derived society it likely has some language mixing).
I've chosen a name at the moment derived from a mulhorandi lexicon someone was kind enough to lend me, I just mixed the words for sun and water, I'm not set on it but currently the name comes out as khaqoth.

Thank you for the suggestion though, I shall remember it when I do dambrath and need a name for them

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2018 :  21:53:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did just have a thought though, if I invert kha and qoth to be qothkha, it's phonetically similar to cathlyre. I could make it qothkhar and it's even more similar and could even be influenced by the drow name for the rainbow bird

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2018 :  14:24:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, the hate of the cobra book, possessed by a hound archon serving Anubis who has been turned to Set, created by Set worshippers.

I'm not so taken with the divine servant sent by Anubis (mostly because I have Anubis in mulhorand and then he dies).

So I've got two options, first is that the hound archon was some kind of being that came with the heroes to liberate the Mulan from imaskari, or he was called by priests for some reason between the founding of Mulhorand and now (perhaps to fight thays rebellion or narfells invasion). Or alternatively he is not a bound archon but really a divine minion of Anubis who lost faith following Anubis death and was later converted to the worship of set.

As for the creation of the book I'm wondering if I should use the book as inspiration to create a former incarnation of set (who later died). So the book was created around prior to 922 DR by Amaset an incarnation of set known as the Hooded Cobra.
The cult of set rose up during the chaos of 922, particular in Semphar, Murghom and Thay. The uprisings were ruthlessly quelled and the members hunted down (Amaset was slain), only the hound archon carrying the sacred Hate of the Cobra is though to have escaped and he fled into the Raurin Desert

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2018 :  14:52:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Must be a hitchikers guide to the galaxy quote if it's about fjords.

It's the dead parrot sketch by Monty Python. Prolly one of their most famous things, aside from the Holy Grail movie.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000