Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Author's forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29652 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  16:45:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

Why are there so many 'typos' ... or rather consistent misspellings in the early FR novels? (e.g. Lloth, mithal, Deep Sashales, Aber-Toril, Solausein etc.)

Typos happen. It's not just 2E novels. I'm still amused by the month of Ukta in one of the 3E sourcebooks.

Heck, I've been reading the new Southlands book that I got via Kickstarter -- this is a brand new book from Kobold Press, and it has typos in it. And at least one line of repeated text, and a place where the punctuation wasn't correct...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  20:11:15  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used 'typo' for lack of a better word. I'm talking about misspellings that are consistent throughout novels. I was thinking about this because I'm currently reading Evermeet and the misspellings mithal, Deep Sashales, Aber-Toril are not once written correctly throughout the novel. I'm wondering if this is because the reference material given to the authors was handwritten notes hard to decipher or some other reason.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Why are there so many 'typos' ... or rather consistent misspellings in the early FR novels? (e.g. Lloth, mithal, Deep Sashales, Aber-Toril, Solausein etc.)

Typos happen. It's not just 2E novels. I'm still amused by the month of Ukta in one of the 3E sourcebooks.

Heck, I've been reading the new Southlands book that I got via Kickstarter -- this is a brand new book from Kobold Press, and it has typos in it. And at least one line of repeated text, and a place where the punctuation wasn't correct...

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1359 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  01:13:57  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm talking about misspellings that are consistent throughout novels. I was thinking about this because I'm currently reading Evermeet and the misspellings mithal, Deep Sashales, Aber-Toril are not once written correctly throughout the novel. I'm wondering if this is because the reference material given to the authors was handwritten notes hard to decipher or some other reason.

You put the blame on wrong heads. If the problem was with the authors, we shouldn't be able to see it anyway. It's a problem with editors.
And the editors who know what the writers should write, but unable to do their own jobs any better than an average circus monkey would were a problem back from TSR times.
And yes, a company treating quality control as a plum job for toadies shows exactly how much it cares about customers.
quote:
"I can tell you that many individuals from an entire generation (and heading into a second generation) of teachers, journalists, and, yes, professional editors in North America seemingly managed to get through school without ever learning proper grammar—and we can all read the results, every day."

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 02 Sep 2015 01:20:33
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2015 :  16:52:14  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

You put the blame on wrong heads.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to point fingers and place blame so much as I was curious, wanting a peek behind the scenes (kinda like how I wonder why there is so much greco-roman art in Faiths&Pantheons, Demihuman Deities and Powers&Pantheons.)

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000