Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2019 :  13:35:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to comb my sources, I may be making it up.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2019 :  13:57:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another idea: Look at Ethereal Doppelgangers from MM2 (3e), page 94.

Perhaps your creature is a hybrid of them and nerra or a variant?

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2019 :  14:47:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it

quote:
299 DR (Year of the Vaasan Knot)
High King Gwylloch, Prince Ketheryll, and all of their retainers slowly go mad. On the evening of the summer
solstice, the inhabitants of the Castle of Skulls slaughter each other in a suicidal orgy of combat within the
castle's gruesome walls. It is suspected that the mage Flamsterd was somehow involved in the High King's
downfall.

Its not conclusive, but why would you suspect a mage from the present day in something that happened a thousand years ago, unless he was alive back then.

Its from a web article WoTC did at the dawn of 4e that expanded a lot of the Moonshae Isles stuff i think it was also the first attempt at an electronic Dragon Magazine so i've got it as Dragon 362.

And i'll be off to check the Ethereal Doppelgangers. At the moment almost every creature i've got in the Moonshae Isles is a variant of some sort that originates in FR.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2019 :  18:31:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies if I spoiled anyones plans involving him. I assume he was exiled from the high kingdom for his part in the downfall (even if it's a good thing, you cant go around offing kings). So he spends a lot of time roaming the sword coast and learning from the greats (happy to play the part of a mere apprentice), which is where he got the workbook I guess. Then his return to the moonshaes happens around the time he buys his island.

But that's just my take on him. Old, and powerful, but unbelievably reserved and humble with that power so is often deemed unimportant by others.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2019 :  19:04:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came up with a rough idea for the mirrors using both George and Eric's work. One is going to be held on Snowdown until Cyndre finds it and gifts it to Curmanvyss (trying to remove him), another is located in Corwell, and the globe is in Kressilacc.

quote:
Skarda's Shards: The Shards of Skarda are pieces of an ancient artefact once known as Skarda's Crystal Gateway after a Netherese Archmage who attempted to create an open destination Gate but unfortunately for Skarda, his gate opened only onto a Plane of Mirrors and he became trapped within and replaced on the Material Plane by his mirror opposite (known as a nerra) who immediately set about sabotaging his research to prevent others using it (while also tricking unsuspecting victims into using the gate and being replaced by other nerra).

Ultimately the nerra Skarda was slain when other Archmages became aware of a potential invasion of nerra, and the Crystal Gateway was shattered into smaller fragments, one of which fell into the hands of Raanaghaun Cormael of Myth Drannor, while several other pieces were collected by Renduuryk the Wizard King of the Kingdom of Seven Scryings (a short lived kingdom in the Fallen Lands).

Secreted away from the Kingdom of Seven Scryings during its collapse in -297 DR, three of the Shards of Skarda came into possession of Flamsterd (one during his acquisition of the Wizard's Workbook, another held in Caer Callidyrr brought by the ffolk centuries before, and the last arriving during the tethyrian migration of 467 DR).

Recognising a connection between the items, and utilising the remnants of Skarda's enchantments, Flamsterd crafted three items; a dress mirror, a hand mirror, and a crystal globe out of the opaque crystalline material. With a command word each mirror could be made to focus upon a named place, person, or item anywhere in Faerun, with the picture moved in any direction by the command of the viewer.

Unknown to Flamsterd, if the viewer knows the true name of an individual being viewed in the mirror, then that person is drawn into the mirror and becomes trapped in a demiplane linking the Dress Mirror of Cymrych Hugh (or Dewych Selkirk depending upon who you ask), the Hand Mirror of Rhydian Kendrick, or the Deepglass of Flamsterd. Furthermore the plane becomes home to a doppelganger; known as a nerra, that looks like an exact mirror image of the trapped individual whose personality is likewise in opposition to the original. The nerra seeks to slay the original by any means necessary, allowing it to then escape from the Plane of Mirrors.

It is possible to escape from the Plane of Mirrors if someone else using one of the three mirrors requests to view the person by name, thus expelling the original and the doppelganger out through whatever mirror gate they are nearest.

The three shards resemble a full length dress mirror, a smaller hand mirror, and a crystal ball, each crafted from a piece of opaque crystal that is hazy and poor at reflecting images unless the command word is spoken, at which point it becomes able to scry distant places with perfect clarity. The crystal it is fashioned from is known as Damasdreir crystal, coming from a cavern beneath the Dalelands (accessible only via a tunnel near drow controlled territory under Shadowdale).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2019 :  07:29:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might also want to take a look at Saarkanlyth's Antaglass from the Calimport accessory - although it has a few historical issues attached to it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 09 Aug 2019 07:31:44
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2019 :  07:47:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who knew there were so many famous scrying devices. I shall research it immediately.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2019 :  12:54:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appear to have inadvertently duplicated the antaglass, but with a bit of planar travel involved as well. No matter though, I haven't got a problem with people inventing the same thing several times (I think it happened with the telephone.

I'm happy with the general premise. It allows for the novel events to occur as written (Deirdre spoke sinioth true name and he was trapped in the mirror), while linking several other vague items together and tying them to the plane of mirrors to allow for extra exploration.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2019 :  10:20:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Random thought, the kamerel who made the nerra seek to have no interaction with the outside universe. I intended to have the dress mirror in snowdown and have cyndre recover it to trap curmanvyss.
Snowdown is renowned for remaining neutral in the history of the islands. Perhaps a few of their kings were replaced by Nerra

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2019 :  08:59:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read into snowdown more. It's a monarchy but more democratic than the other islands, with each laird having a say in how the country is run, which is indicative of a weak monarchy.

So I'm thinking that around 944 DR the drszs mirror of cymrych hugh is taken to snowdown. Various members of the royal family are replaced in an almost continuous cycle when they reach adulthood.

These nerra versions sit and observe but are otherwise completely passive in their interaction (unless threatened or given orders by whatever drives the nerra in the mirror plane.

Thus the laird have had to rule snowdown themselves, each appointing themselves to certain positions in court (trying to avoid a civil war by dethroning the current royal family).

So snowdown has remained neutral in all conflicts since because it lacks strong central leadership and the dozen or so laird cannot agree on anything.

The Armenians are making inroads into the country by using wealth to make the laird compliant, and without a central authority there is no one to resist the silent take over they are planning.

Since snowdowns royal line ended in black wizards there has to be a reason why the entire royal line ended so quickly (most long established royal lines are quite large and scattered so eliminating and entire line can be quite bloody). Si I figure the nerra royals have small numbers of children (often being made to have children by the laird to continue the bloodline).

Moray had a similar issue with the entire line being eliminated but I made them a recent dynasty so they have a small tree that needed little pruning.

So mirror replaces royals with nerra who are passive and docile. Snowdown lacks authoritative ruler and becomes a noble ruling council. Amnian merchants dominate snowdown courtiers. Assassins kill off snowdown royal line

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2019 :  20:38:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Worked on solving how the Kendricks could rule only Corwell for the last 200 years. decided upon having another nation of the ffolk on Gwynneth.

I noted that the south western lands are very much separate from Corwell, and pretty much ignored by all sourcebooks and novels. So i hinted that they were a separate group of ffolk that arrived before the others and remained isolated until relatively recently.

Expanding upon that now i thought why not make it an entire tribal nation separate from the ffolk of Gwynneth that we know. Flamsterd's Isle is very close to Gwynneth and is also mostly barren, the south western land is full of moors as well so i figure why not an ecological disaster devastate the region until it could no longer resist Corwell's advances.
I've already got collapsing islands as a theme due to people draining energy from the Earthmother (and killing her) so the coastal shelf that stretch of land rests on must have collapsed, the salt water table rising turned the land into moorland.

So around 1150 DR Corwell absorbs this land and the Kendricks claim the title King of Shaina (name of the tribal nation), and in 1266 DR they sell the title and the island to Flamsterd.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  15:51:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, its finally time to try and solve the confusion regarding cantrev (the region) and the settlement as used in the novels and the sourcebooks.

The novels appear to refer to a cantrev as the settlement, often using the name of the lord and the name of the settlement as the same, which only adds to the confusion. In sourcebooks cantrev sometimes refers to the region and sometimes the settlement. Halls of the High King is one of the few sourcebooks that has the settlement of Aithe in Cantrev Aithelar, a similar pattern that is mentioned in the Baldman Games regional guide to the Moonshae Isles.

So its time to rename all the settlements and lords to be different to that of the cantrev name (although i will keep the cantrev name and clan name fairly similar as one founded the other).

So for example Cantrev Kingsbay has a settlement which is indicated upon most maps but i figure is just one of many settlements in the cantrev and the largest. Currently it is named Kingsbay, although i have seen reference to a Cantrev Kingfish. I'm going to rename the town to be Kingfish while keeping Cantrev Kingsbay as the regional name.

Cantrev Dynnatt remains the same but the major town will be renamed Dynwall. The Laird will be named after the local clan MacDynnart but his family name may be something different (i figure hereditary nobility eventually come up with their own surname as time goes on that is distinct from the clan name).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2019 :  08:36:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adding in some political intrigue to account for the events of Black Wizard. I figure there are two factions in the court of the King. First is the faction led by Dynnatt and Koart whose laird are the richest and most powerful (as they are the closest to Cantrev corwell). They seek to keep themselves dominant with the kings influence (others join them hoping for a boon). The next faction is led by pontswain who seek to keep corwells traditional values, it is made up of honest ffolk laird like Fergus and Sheehan (pontswain is pretending to be honest). In truth pontswain is manipulating tristans court friends to tempt him with drink and ginyak weed and women so that he will be rejected by the lords of his faction and he can press his own claim to the throne.

Also been working on the liths around the moon wells, I figure they help focus leylines. Menhir focus leylines, trilithon create a one way crossroad allowing Fey to come to the material plane. Dolmen create a proper crossroad allowing two way travel and is usually guarded by a trohw (the troll from darkwell)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2019 :  16:45:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Auroras whole realms catalogue mention the fabled serpent of norland. I shall have to tie this to the sea dragon head found in gnarhelm great hall. I'm thinking nightmare children of sorts of the leviathan (from elder evils) that slumbers between waterdeep and the korinn archipelago.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2019 :  17:42:17  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
Centuries after Anauria’s fall, the spellglobe of Ramanath was acquired by the archmage Glendar of Hillsfar from the Catacombs of Claws beneath Moander’s Crypt (Modern: Yûlash), where it had been hidden by the Claws of Arlochar (see page 48).

Where can we found this page 48 ?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 18 Aug 2019 17:42:47
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2019 :  18:16:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That will be from Eric's upcoming crown of eaerlann or perhaps the even more secret source book that details the entire north with lore nuggets extending as far away as the Dales (I may have made the north source book up but I can always hope for more lore gems from Eric, George, and ed)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2019 :  20:26:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Hobarth is a priest of Bhaal, Faiths and Avatars mentioned priests of Bhaal in rural areas such as the Moonshae Isles being specialty priests known as Deathstalkers which implies there are several priests of Bhaal in that region.

Razfellow was an assassin from Calimshan (he had helpers as well, presumably lesser assassins), and i'm going from memory here but i think the assassins in Calimshan followed Bhaal (and were killed during the Time of Troubles).

So a new cult, the Cult of the Deathstalker, a band of wandering priests who worshipped Bhaal and Myrkul (Hobarth raised the dead and was very interested in dead things and formerly dead things) that would take contracts to kill anyone, recently arrived in the Moonshae Isles (presumably after attracting too much attention along the Sword Coast).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2019 :  15:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This seems like the appropriate place to ask (with attendant apologies for interrupting):

Does anyone have 3.5E stats for Flamsterd? I'm trying (as a thought exercise, as much as anything else) to update FA1 Halls of the High King to 3.5, and the stats it gives for him aren't very helpful (in contrast with, for example, Panthras of Panthras Procuring, whose stat block provided everything necessary to make the transition with no filling-in of blanks required). All it gives are his level and a couple of his spells; are any of his other stats listed in any canonical source?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2019 :  16:54:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will double check when I get back from euro Disney, but I'm not aware of any 3.5 stats.
I will probably do my own stats for flamsterd but they would be my own interpretation and for my own rules.

I get the feeling from Ed's writings that flamsterd is not a showy shooty mage, he is very conservative (like gandalf) thinking long and hard before using any magic in case it has adverse consequences.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2019 :  17:17:19  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you think he'd still be a Wizard? Or is he closer to Sorcerer?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2019 :  17:23:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Filth

Do you think he'd still be a Wizard? Or is he closer to Sorcerer?

Flamsterd would definitely be a wizard and a sage or the original reference to him wouldn't make sense.

Pages from the Mages, page 88:

"The sage Flamsterd, of the Moonshae Isles, purchased The Workbook from a band of adventurers, and carefully copied its contents. He later sold the secrets of several of The Work- book#146;s spells for very great sums of gold, and purchased the en- tire island that now bears his name. His enjoyment of the isle was short. It is thought that one of his clients guessed what the sage possessed, for one night the sage and his entire Tower, on the leeward side of the island, simply vanished. Others believe the sage came to grief while practicing magic. Still others hold that he left this plane of existence.
No sudden rise in power was noted among those of the Art, however, and it is thought that The Workbook may have been lost or destroyed. Installments of Flamsterd#146;s personal diaries, the Moonshae Chronicles, were sent regularly from the sage#146;s isle to his friend Elminster, and in one was set down the entire text of The Wizards' Workbook."

(And yes, I know that that this text first appeared in Dragon magazine, AJA! That's why it predates FR2 - The Moonshaes, even though Pages from the Mages was published after FR2. :-) )

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2019 :  17:28:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Flamsterd's class, the simplest thing in 3.5e would probably be to make him something like a wizard 18 or wizard 20. You could consider giving him the archmage prestige class (e.g. wizard 15 / archmage 5).

However, if you are playing 3.5e and if you think Flamsterd is from the Moonshaes originally (as opposed to being an interloper from Faerun), then you might consider giving him the arcane hierophant prestige class (Races of the Wild). I think that's a great generic prestige class to "reserve" for wizards from the Moonshaes within the Realms. "Court Wizard of Callidyr" might be the Realmsian name.

Personally, I suspect Flamsterd's an interloper from Faerun, and therefore the prestige class doesn't make sense, but it depends on what you want to do in your campaign.

Here's what I did for Mab, formerly of Daggerford and tangentially tied to Flamstered in the write-up George and I did of Under Illefarn Anew:

"Mab (NG male Tethyrian wizard 3 / druid 3 / arcane hierophantRoW 12) was born in the kingdom of Callidyrr on the island of Alaron in the Moonshae Isles in the Year of the Black Wind (1262 DR). He rose to a senior position on the High King’s Council of Mages, only to be accused of treason, stripped of his spellbooks, and banished in the Year of the Broken Helm (1302 DR). After making his way to Waterdeep aboard a caravel, accompanied only by his ward, Gwydion pen Dafwyd, Mab was given an audience at Blackstaff Tower with Khelben Arunsun, who had been warned of his impending arrival by the reclusive archmage, Flamsterd. (Flamsterd, who hailed from the City of Splendors, could not disobey the order of the High King, but felt Mab did not deserve his banishment and reached out to the Blackstaff on his behalf.) Khelben then recommended Mab for the then vacant position of Court Wizard of Daggerford, and provided him with a set of spelltomes and other items of magic necessary to serve in that position."

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 24 Aug 2019 17:29:53
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2019 :  17:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very comprehensive, and prompt. Thanks!

I think, for the purposes of this module, I'll stick with "...carries whatever spells and items the DM wishes to give him", with a note that his spell repertoire includes Forget and Time Stop.

Kind of odd, though, that an NPC of his power level went completely under the 3.5 radar.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2019 :  19:35:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, in Black Wizard there is mention of Ginyak Weed, a drug that is becoming a growing problem in Callidyrr. It comes from Calimshan and is presumably smoked.

Now in modern times its quite normal to import and export drugs to other countries (England did it to conquer China 150 years ago), but i figure in medieval times you would trade valuable commodities and leave the drug running to private enterprise.
Therefore i need an organisation with a growing presence in the Moonshae Isles and with a penchant for drug running. I initially thought the Cult of the Dragon (because the Zhentarim seem conspicuously absent from the Moonshae Isles), and then after looking into it further i noted that the Cult of the Dragon is almost completely unmentioned in Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan.
There are supposedly a few cells in Amn (one in north eastern Amn in the snakewood) but its all undetailed, and there is the mention of Shard in Calimshan who will be turned very soon following a near fatal encounter with another dragon.
The most interesting mention was that Sapphariktar the Blue (of the Twisted Rune) is in possession of one of the Blades of Ochir Naal and it is implied that he is running his own Cult of the Dragon cell. So i'm guessing that the Cult of the Dragon in Calimshan is actually a false (not true cult of the dragon) cell which has a different ideology to other cults and serves only Sapphariktar the Blue (i doubt there is even any mention of Sammaster in their ideology).

So Fake Cult of the Dragon cell in the Moonshae Isles running drugs from Calimshan to the islands that acts as spies for the Twisted Rune in the Sword Coast North.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  19:49:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So i'm up to detailing Kressilacc.

I've got Koraxis the Ravening Maw to explain Bhaal's association with the sahuagin. I figure by pure chance it uses similar symbology and so Hobarth and the king of kressilacc strike up an accord (through the mirrors) believing they both serve the same deity.

I'll have to come up with another name, a corruption of Talos, to explain why Kressilacc later converts to worship of a Talos like deity (symbology and naming conventions could come from captured norl and illuskan sailors).

The big beef i have with Kressilacc at the moment is that this kingdom of sahuagin, located within the sea of Moonshae, surrounded by all the Moonshae Isles, is ruled by sea trolls from the coral kingdom.

Now according to the books the Coral Kingdom is located 1000 miles south of Corwell which looking at some of Markustay's maps (the only one i could find with a key) puts that kingdom way past Chult.

So how does a kingdom of sea trolls so far away control the kingdom of Kressilacc, it would take months of travel to get that far. Even if it were portals that allowed the sea trolls easy access to kressilacc, i would imagine the sahuagin (notoriously violent and difficult to control) would fight to secure control of those portals and stop the trolls coming through.

Apparently the elves fought a war with the Coral Kingdom long ago using underwater boats, but i'm not aware of any surface elven kingdoms (except the drow) that are located that far south. Presumably Evermeet is the nation that fought with the sea trolls, but it is difficult to envisage why or how those to nations would have conflict given the extreme distance.

My initial thought is that the book was wrong in its location, after all, the ffolk likely have rudimentary methods of cartography and wayfinding, so their estimate of distance and direction could be way off, especially since none of the ffolk have ever been there before. The ffolk that did travel there had been through storm and constant pursuit and it is quite possibly they lost their bearings.
I'd be more tempted to put the Coral Kingdom west of the Moonshae Isles, far enough away to mean that they (sea trolls) are not spoken of much in the Moonshae Isles, but not so far away that a large number could not arrive in Kressilacc after that nation suffered a brutal defeat and swiftly subjugate the kingdom.

Any thoughts?

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 03 Sep 2019 19:50:04
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  10:30:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you've answered it below, haven't you?

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

So i'm up to detailing Kressilacc.

The big beef i have with Kressilacc at the moment is that this kingdom of sahuagin, located within the sea of Moonshae, surrounded by all the Moonshae Isles, is ruled by sea trolls from the coral kingdom.

It is exactly that. Ruled by sea trolls. As in, sea trolls in the flesh. About 100 of them lead by Tagrash "the Blackjaw", a scion of the ruling scrag clan, who dominate the sahuagin, slaying a few every once in a while to keep them to heel. The sahuagin hate the scrag but know that if they turn on this group, then the whole weight of the Coral Kingdom will come down on them like it did way back back when they were subjugated.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 04 Sep 2019 10:30:49
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  10:56:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a bad explanation, the names always help convince me. It would have to be a nearby portal that allowed travel for reinforcements to arrive to make the threat real.

Perhaps I can link this to iakhovas at a later, if I recall correctly something in the story involved travel to chult.

The next big question is where these portals came from and why they were created. I don't think we have any batrachi portals detailed yet. The sahuagin live in a big trench that is over 1000 feet deep which I think rules out sea elves, but could be a former Triton place.

Cheers for the help George.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 04 Sep 2019 10:57:51
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  11:04:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and the scrag arrival would have to be relatively recent (past 300 years or so which is a long time to the short lived sahuagin), because of Eric Boyd's myth of Angus macodrum which hints that the sea elves destroyed kressilacc at some point and I figure sahuagin nations rise and fall quite regularly.

I'm wondering why the scrags conquered kressilacc, what's in it for them. Coss-Axell-Sinioth seems a good instigator for the conquest, using easily manipulated trolls to subjugate the more volatile sahuagin. As an ancient undersea power (in his kraken form) he could be working with slarkrathel against iakhovas (forming an alliance of undersea nations to combat the growing threat of iakhovas' forces (I vaguely recall reading in a sourcebook that there was a big war going on in the tackles sea as a result of iakhovas' actions)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  08:23:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randomly reading through the sea devils sourcebook and found their myth and physiology section very interesting. They evolved from elves perhaps but predate sea elves.

So I'm using my alternate timelines theory for the history in the evermeet novel to explain sahuagin origin, using a city of elves far to the south that was submerged. Renaming the Deepglass of Flamsterd to the Deepglass of Anarliss honour of the first sahuagin

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  15:17:59  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gary,

I think we chatted a while ago about Ityak-Ortheel. Here's my commissioned artwork, in case you were collecting "All Things Moonshae" images (for personal, non-commercial use).

Here's the artist's page:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rRYOQe

I modified that to add it to a 'parchment' and some notes on the page spread in my upcoming release:
https://i.imgur.com/iYQ0hSE.png

thanks,
Jim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000